Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Oriole Adams
Frequent Poster

Default Micky Dolenz was almost Fonzie and Other Facts...

....from the folks at Mental Floss. Enjoy!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Default Micky Dolenz was almost Fonzie!

Happy Days ran for 11 seasons, making it one of ABC’s longest running series (The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet still holds first place). It lasted longer than its many spinoffs, including Laverne & Shirley and Mork & Mindy, and it is the only show thus far in Nick at Nite history to dethrone I Love Lucy as that channel’s top-rated show. To paraphrase Pratt & McClain, these Happy Days facts are yours and mine; we hope you’ll share them with your friends.

1. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SET IN THE 1920S, NOT THE 1950S.

When Garry Marshall was first approached by Paramount executives Michael Eisner and Tom Miller in 1971 to create a new sitcom, they envisioned something set in the 1920s or ’30s. Marshall told them that he knew nothing about flappers, but he could write a show about the era in which he spent his teen and young adult years—the 1950s. He put together a pilot about a Midwestern family that just purchased their first TV set (the first one in the neighborhood!) and how the teenaged son planned to use it as a chick magnet. The series didn’t sell, and the pilot ended up as a vignette on Love, American Style—“the dumping ground of failed pilots” according to Marshall.

2. THE SERIES CREATOR WANTED TO CALL IT COOL.

Test audiences reported that COOL made them think of cigarettes, however, so producer Carl Kleinschmitt suggested, “How about calling it Happy Days? That’s what we’re going to show.”

3. RON HOWARD SIGNED ON TO AVOID GOING TO VIETNAM.

Ron Howard wasn’t looking to do another series; he had recently enrolled at USC’s School of Cinematic Arts with the goal of becoming a director. He had a small problem nagging at him, however: a low draft number. And Uncle Sam was no longer handing out student deferments to college students. There was a possibility of Howard getting an occupational deferment, though, if his employment was directly related to the employment of 30 or more other people. Luckily Paramount was a large company with enough employees who would be out of work if their star was drafted, so Howard signed on to play Richie Cunningham. Even though the pilot didn’t sell, Howard could breathe easily since President Nixon had ended the draft shortly after filming had wrapped.

4. HAPPY DAYS ACTUALLY PREDATES AMERICAN GRAFFITI.

George Lucas’s Oscar-nominated 1973 film American Graffiti launched a craze for 1950s nostalgia (even though the movie was set in 1962). Casting director Fred Roos had worked with Ron Howard on The Andy Griffith Show and recommended him to Lucas for the role of Steve Bolander. Lucas dug out the “Love and the Happy Days” episode of Love, American Style to determine whether Howard could play an 18-year-old high school student convincingly. Once American Graffiti became a runaway success, ABC decided that the time was ripe for a 1950s-era sitcom and Garry Marshall’s project was resurrected.

5. FONZIE WAS ALMOST A MONKEE.

When Henry Winkler got the callback after his first audition for the role of Arthur Fonzarelli, he was taken aback when he saw that the other contender was former Monkees drummer Micky Dolenz. According to Dolenz, Winkler admitted to him later that he had thought, “Oh crap, Micky Dolenz is here. I’ll never get it!” Dolenz was Marshall’s original choice to play Fonzie, on the strength of a recent guest appearance he had made as a biker on Adam-12. But at six feet tall, Dolenz towered over the five-foot-nine Ron Howard, so Winkler was deemed a better fit.

6. HENRY WINKLER STRUGGLED TO READ HIS SCRIPTS.

Winkler struggled in school as a child no matter how hard he applied himself. His German-born parents had a nickname for him, dummer hund (“Dumb Dog”), which didn’t help his self-esteem. He wasn’t diagnosed with dyslexia until he was 31 years old. When he auditioned for Happy Days he only had six lines, which he made up because he couldn’t read them. “That’s not in the script,” the producers pointed out. Thinking on his feet, Winkler replied: “I know but I’m giving you the essence of the character and if I get the part I’ll do it verbatim.”

7. BILL HALEY RECORDED A NEW VERSION OF HIS SIGNATURE HIT FOR THE OPENING CREDITS.

“Rock Around the Clock” by Bill Haley & His Comets spent eight weeks at the top of the Billboard chart in 1955. This original single version was only used once on Happy Days (for the first episode). Haley recorded a new version of the song exclusively for the series and this was the song that was played over the opening credits during the first two seasons of the show.

8. PAT MORITA HAD PROBLEMS WITH HIS ACCENT.

California-born Noriyuki “Pat” Morita spoke plain, unaccented English as well as any native speaker, but just prior to filming his first scene as Arnold, director Jerry Paris very reluctantly told the actor that he had to “pick an accent.” Apparently the network higher-ups thought that the obviously Asian Arnold should speak with a distinct accent. Morita went along with them and used an exaggerated Chinese Pidgin English dialect. About six weeks later Paris approached Morita once again, this time accompanied by a standards and practices representative. The S&P rep informed Morita that—for politically correct reasons—he could no longer play Arnold, who was obviously a Chinese-American character (an observation made based on Morita’s accent), because he was Japanese-American. Morita did some quick thinking and explained that Arnold’s last name was Takahashi, and that he was the product of a Japanese father and Chinese mother.

9. FONZIE DIDN’T REALLY LOVE PINKY.

The season four opener was a hugely hyped affair, a three-part story arc entitled “Fonzie Loves Pinky.” The big news was that Fonzie was going to find true love, and the object of his affection was a daredevil cyclist named Pinky Tuscadero. Pinky was played by Roz Kelly, an actress who’d caught ABC honcho Fred Silverman’s eye and had become a pet project of his. He believed that she could be the “female Fonzie” and as a result the Pinky and Fonzie pairing got almost as much press coverage in the summer of 1977 as Charles and Diana would receive three years later. Alas, the brassy and abrasive Kelly just didn’t fit in with the rest of the cast, particularly her intended love interest: “I grew up on welfare, so I don’t relate to rich kids,” she told People magazine in 1976 of the Yale-educated Winkler. And Pinky was quietly written out of the series.

10. JOHN LENNON ONCE VISITED THE SET.

The cast was surprised one day in 1975 when the former Beatle showed up unannounced on the Paramount lot. Julian Lennon was a huge fan of the show and his dad had brought him to meet the cast. As Anson Williams, who played Potsie, recalled, Lennon was very nice and somewhat shy, but he did sign autographs and draw doodles for various crew members and grips. (But not for Williams or the other stars; they were far too cool to ask a fellow celebrity for a keepsake drawing.)

11. GARRY MARSHALL GAVE ROBIN WILLIAMS HIS BIG BREAK.

But it was actually Marshall’s sister, Ronny, who “discovered” the comedian. Marshall’s young son was an avid Star Wars fan and he urged his father to have “space people” on Happy Days, which is how the alien character Mork from Ork was conceived. Several comedians, including Dom DeLuise and John Byner, had turned down the role and Marshall was having trouble casting it. His sister suggested a stand-up comic she regularly saw performing on the street, with his hat on the ground for money. “Why should I hire a guy from off the street?” he asked her. “Well, his hat is always pretty full!” Ronny told him. When Williams showed up to tape the “My Favorite Orkan” episode, Henry Winkler reported that his biggest challenge as an actor was to maintain a straight face while Williams went off on his hilarious tangents.

12. MANY OF THE NAMES USED ON THE SHOW WERE INSPIRED BY GARRY MARSHALL’S REAL LIFE.

Example: Pinky and her TV sister Leather's name Tuscadero was taken from the real-life town of Atascadero, in California
Marshall’s wife went to school with a kid named Potsie Webber, and Richie Cunningham was a “nice boy” who attended the same church as Marshall. The first home the Marshalls purchased was on Arcola Street. Fonzie’s name, however, was originally supposed to be “Arthur Masciarelli”, which was Marshall’s original surname. However, “the Mash” just didn’t have the same ring to it as “the Fonz.”

13. HENRY WINKLER DIDN’T JUMP THE SHARK.

Winkler isn’t particularly athletic, but one of the few sports he excelled at was waterskiing, which is how the infamous “jump the shark” episode happened to get written. Winkler did all of his own stunt work in the “Hollywood: Part 3” episode—except for the actual shark jump. The producers didn’t want to take a chance on letting their star do such a risky maneuver. By the way, Winkler wore a special leather jacket with the lining removed for his stint on skis.

14. THE CAST NOT ONLY WORKED TOGETHER, THEY PLAYED TOGETHER!

Garry Marshall came up with the idea of a Happy Days All-Star Softball Team, with both cast and crew members participating. He thought it was a good opportunity for the actors to blow off steam while also promoting the show and raising money for charity. The team often played other celebrity teams prior to MLB games, and they toured military bases in Europe and Japan.
Attached Images

Last edited by antman67 : 07-20-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
frankred
Frequent Poster

I read that Mickey Dolenz tried out for the role. If he snapped his fingers girls would run the other way.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:18 AM   #4
Will Dockery
Forum Regular
Shadowville All-Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole Adams

Great stuff, some I actually never knew about before.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

Enjoyed all the interesting info.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Babalu

Also, the network initially refused to let Henry Winkler wear a leather jacket in the show because they thought that he would seem like a hood. So Garry Marshall compromised with the network to allow Fonzie to wear his leather jacket only when he was on his motorcycle for safety. Once the network agreed to that Marshall shot all Fonzie's scenes with him sitting on his motorcycle so he could wear his leather jacket. A motorcycle that Henry Winkler could not ride and was terrified of. Once Fonzie became a hit the network had no more problems with the leather jacket.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole Adams

First of all, not to offend Happy Days fans but it was NOT one of my favorite TV shows.
It was about the 1950s and I was not of those times. I was a teen in the 70s, and a lot of other teens I knew loved the show.

I might have liked an individual episode here and there.
But as far as I know, the character Fonzie was supposed to be a teenager.
Mickey Dolenz must have been in his mid 30s during the time that Happy Days was casting for the characters. So it is interesting that he would have been chosen to play someone who is decades younger. I think Mickey Dolenz would have been like Rob Reiner playing "Snake" in one of the episodes of the The Partridge Family.

Speaking of this, how many of you know that Paul Williams (singer songwriter) auditioned to be one of the Monkees ? All I can think is that if he were chosen, he would have been a cast member of that show that was shorter than Davey Jones.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
JSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by um
But as far as I know, the character Fonzie was supposed to be a teenager.
Mickey Dolenz must have been in his mid 30s during the time that Happy Days was casting for the characters. So it is interesting that he would have been chosen to play someone who is decades younger.
I'm pretty sure Henry Winkler and Mickey Dolenz are roughly the same age.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
Sloper
Frequent Poster
I'd rather be on the slopes.

Henry Winkler: October 30, 1945
Micky Dolenz: March 8, 1945

Micky was only 7 months older.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
um
Forum Regular

Wow.