Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Love, American Style (Happy Days Pilot Episode) / Love, American Style links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Love, American Style Photo Gallery

Love, American Style - Season 1, Volume 1

Buy Love, American Style - Season 1, Volume 1 on DVD
Love, American Style - Season 1, Volume 2

Buy Love, American Style - Season 1, Volume 2 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Love, American Style
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-17-2015, 01:23 AM   #1
Retro76
Frequent Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Retro76
Default My Thoughts About Season Five's Stories

Well, thanks to the new channel Decades and their binge marathons, I was able to finally see the rest of season 5 in the syndicated package. However, I noticed that some of the segments were rehashed from previous stories from the earlier seasons. For example, Love and the Secret Spouse had the same plot as Season 2's Love and the New Roommate except there are fathers in the place of the mothers in the older version. Another example is the Season 5 story Love and the Last Laugh which is a carbon copy of Season 1's Love and the Comedy Team. This leads me to believe that they couldn't have created new and different stories for the final season which may have lead to a very quick end to the series. I'm sure there would have been great potential for new stories dealing with interracial couples, teen marriages, etc. Still, there are some great segments in the final season such as Love and the Comedienne with Phyllis Diller, Love and the Model Apartment and others. What are your thoughts about the final season for those who have seen these on TV during its original run or in syndication?
That's me and you!

Me-TV+Antenna TV+RetroTV+Decades+CoziTV=Reliving the Days of Reruns of Independent TV (KTLA, KTTV, KCOP and KHJ) in Southern CA!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:11 AM   #2
doombuggy64
Occasional Poster

I had not seen most of Season 5 since they aired on ABC and in local syndication on Los Angeles KTLA 5 in 1975. It was not my favorite year. Saul Turtletaub and Bernie Orenstein were the new Executive producers. I didn't think they were a good fit. They were much better when they produced Sanford and Son. Most of the shows that year were down right boring! The feel of the show was quite different, and as you say, they did repeat some ideas with mixed results. Stuart Margolin was gone from the black outs. Replaced by Jed Allen. ABC apparently felt the show ran out of gas too, as they cancelled it mid season during the 73-74. My favorite years were season one, and up to season 3 when Harvey Bullock and RS Allen were in charge. There were attempts to do some unusual episodes in the last year such as 'Love and the Unsteady Steady' with Brandon Cruz, and of all things directed by Ross Martin! On the upside, they did get some celebs that had not been seen in season's past. Jerry Orbach and Bernadette Peters come to mind. But why oh why did we have to see Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs kissing!!?? Oh and then there was 'Love and Carmen Lopez' which was positively dreadful! You can see the show had run it's course. I almost think ABC renewed as an after thought for season 5, simply to rack up a few more shows they could repeat during their early 70s daytime run. (pre 1975 syndication)
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
Retro76
Frequent Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Retro76

Quote:
Originally Posted by doombuggy64
I had not seen most of Season 5 since they aired on ABC and in local syndication on Los Angeles KTLA 5 in 1975. It was not my favorite year. Saul Turtletaub and Bernie Orenstein were the new Executive producers. I didn't think they were a good fit. They were much better when they produced Sanford and Son. Most of the shows that year were down right boring! The feel of the show was quite different, and as you say, they did repeat some ideas with mixed results. Stuart Margolin was gone from the black outs. Replaced by Jed Allen. ABC apparently felt the show ran out of gas too, as they cancelled it mid season during the 73-74. My favorite years were season one, and up to season 3 when Harvey Bullock and RS Allen were in charge. There were attempts to do some unusual episodes in the last year such as 'Love and the Unsteady Steady' with Brandon Cruz, and of all things directed by Ross Martin! On the upside, they did get some celebs that had not been seen in season's past. Jerry Orbach and Bernadette Peters come to mind. But why oh why did we have to see Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs kissing!!?? Oh and then there was 'Love and Carmen Lopez' which was positively dreadful! You can see the show had run it's course. I almost think ABC renewed as an after thought for season 5, simply to rack up a few more shows they could repeat during their early 70s daytime run. (pre 1975 syndication)

LOL! That's how I was introduced to LAS by it airing on KTLA and then KCOP and the show stuck with me as a kid thanks to the opening and blackouts. I did find other stories like Love and the Forever Tree, Love and the Three Timer, the Eats Cafe and Opera Singer entertaining.