Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Comcast to Launch 2 New Networks; Disney Sitcom Launches Jan. 25
Showtime's SMILF Returns for 2nd Season on Jan. 20; Bunk'd Renewed for 4th Season Without Key Stars
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 19, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Buys Rural Comedy From "Liberal Redneck" Trae Crowder; Crossover Event Planned for Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon
Fri-Yay: An Appreciation for Mike Schur's Comedies; IFC Acquires Pee-wee's Playhouse
Drunk History and Corporate Return in January; Jim Gaffigan Returns with Comedy Central Special
The Dick Van Dyke Show and I Love Lucy in Color on Dec. 14; The CW Sets January 2019 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #46
Tweety

I'd rather listen to Karen Carpenter than any other female soloist who ever came down the pike. imo, the best pure singer ever. No auto-tune needed! What we heard was her voice, the way it actually sounded
Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #47
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety
I'd rather listen to Karen Carpenter than any other female soloist who ever came down the pike. imo, the best pure singer ever. No auto-tune needed! What we heard was her voice, the way it actually sounded
I don't think we knew what talent we were witnessing it until it was too late. I notice she embarked upon the Stillman diet,a variation of the Atkins diet,which restricts carbohydrates. It's really only suitable for candidates who are grossly overweight,when the body feeds on itself and not right for Karen who was not really overweight at all by today's standards. The pressure she put upon herself to look good reminds me of Princess Diana,who had a similar illness and who also met a tragic end.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #48
Steve_uk

The days when groups sang live in a studio and every word was enunciated clearly and with feeling..http://youtu.be/K4C3_QMYrHo

Here is the full performance,and what a tragic irony with the final song that Karen received all the lace but none of the promises in a marriage which could have saved her from her fate had she only met the right person.http://youtu.be/ryHQx_kdOas

Last edited by Steve_uk; 02-28-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #49
Steve_uk

Are we looking to wallow in nostalgia, to regress or simply restore the old values? Will an age like this ever return..https://youtu.be/xFHaO9uR4cI
Old 12-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #50
Edison

Way much easier - One of the greatest voices of all time ? Yes.
Edison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #51
Penny Lane
Pol- Dark and Handsome
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison
Way much easier - One of the greatest voices of all time ? Yes.

I agree!
Old 12-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #52
Steve_uk

https://youtu.be/Jv8abg24QWg
Old 07-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #53
Steve_uk

Another docudrama illuminating the conflict within the Carpenter family, which the viewer may feel they still do not understand fully, as Richard pulled back from the brink and Karen headed closer to the abyss. https://youtu.be/Vj5Y6OxdWGI
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #54
Foggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk View Post
Another docudrama illuminating the conflict within the Carpenter family, which the viewer may feel they still do not understand fully, as Richard pulled back from the brink and Karen headed closer to the abyss. https://youtu.be/Vj5Y6OxdWGI
As I watched this on your link, some of it looked familiar (like I had seen it before.) I believe this is the one that I saw on VH1's "Behind The Music" that I spoke of on post #36 in this thread.

Things I remembered:
*Dionne Warwick
*Karen talking to Richard about doing a Solo Album, while he was in the hospital
*Karen being told her album was good, but still shouldn't be released
*Karen telling her mother she didn't want to get married.
*At Karen's doctor's office --- her mother not being able to tell her she loved Karen.
*Karen pounding on the studio's glass where Richard was and Karen yelling at him, then her running away when he told her "I Love You" and she stopped.

Maybe, if she had heard that more often from her family, she'd still be here today.
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #55
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
As I watched this on your link, some of it looked familiar (like I had seen it before.) I believe this is the one that I saw on VH1's "Behind The Music" that I spoke of on post #36 in this thread.

Things I remembered:
*Dionne Warwick
*Karen talking to Richard about doing a Solo Album, while he was in the hospital
*Karen being told her album was good, but still shouldn't be released
*Karen telling her mother she didn't want to get married.
*At Karen's doctor's office --- her mother not being able to tell her she loved Karen.
*Karen pounding on the studio's glass where Richard was and Karen yelling at him, then her running away when he told her "I Love You" and she stopped.

Maybe, if she had heard that more often from her family, she'd still be here today.
I thought this had different actors, though the story was very similar. I've since seen another documentary on youtube which has episodes I never knew about, such as Richard's make-up artist girlfriend and Karen's reaction to her. https://youtu.be/oc1p-Pojt14
Old 07-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #56
Foggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk View Post
I thought this had different actors, though the story was very similar. I've since seen another documentary on youtube which has episodes I never knew about, such as Richard's make-up artist girlfriend and Karen's reaction to her. https://youtu.be/oc1p-Pojt14
I'm not sure what happen to part 2?

Here is the whole Full E! Hollywood Story -- Karen Carpenter (1:26:34 long)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30EaCndVCMA

Last edited by Foggy; 07-17-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Fix the link
Old 07-17-2018, 11:08 PM   #57
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Karen Carpenter--- One of the greatest , most beautiful voiced female singers of all time and a very sweet, nice girl!!!

She will always be very loved and remembered!!

RIP Sweet Angel, Karen!!!

Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #58
Foggy

After watching the stories on Karen Carpenter, you can tell she was a "complaint child." growing up.

Let me share with you something from
Dr James Dobson, "PARENTING ISN'T FOR COWARDS." 1994:

The compliant child often has difficulties holding his (or her) own with his (or her) siblings.
The compliant child is more likely to internalize his (or her) anger and look for ways to reroute it.
If there is an unpleasant job to be done the compliant child will be expected to do it.
When circumstances require one child to sacrifice or do without, you know who will be elected.

Parents often show favor to another child over the compliant child without even knowing that they are aware of doing it.

Even though the compliant child goes along with the program and does not complain, he (or she) may accumulate a volume of resentment though the years.He (or she) holds his (or her) feelings inside and then pays a price for storing them.He (or she) is more susceptible as an adult to ulcers, hypertension,colitis,migraine headaches and a wide range of other illnesses.
Furthermore, his (or her) sense of utter powerlessness can drive his (or her) anger underground. It may emerge in less obvious quests for control.

That introduces the significance of food as an instrument of power. The eating disorders of anorexia and bulimia are thought to be minimally related to food itself. Instead, they represent a desire for control.

The typical anorectic patient is a female in late adolescence or early adulthood. She is usually a compliant individual who was always "a good little girl." She did not play power games to any great extent. She conformed to her parents' expectations, although resenting them quietly at times.She withheld her anger and frustration at being powerless throughout the developmental years.
Her father, and perhaps her mother, were strong individuals who took her submission for granted. Then one day, her need for control was manifested in a serious eating disorder. There at least, was one area where she could be the boss.

I'm not sure if this was written with her in mind, since it was first written in 1987 and later written in 1994, but it sure does fit her doesn't it.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:09 AM   #59
Steve_uk

Will such concerts ever be equalled anywhere in the world..https://youtu.be/V95-zmPrW5Y
Old 07-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #60
Steve_uk

Can anyone date this for me? Richard if you're looking in..https://youtu.be/nooeMrCws-A