Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 10, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Netflix Pays $100 Million for Another Year of Friends; Reboots of Night Gallery and New York Undercover
Fri-Yay: The Disappearing Art of the Holiday Episode; The Simpsons Turns 30 Years Old with Specials on Fox and FXX
Loudermilk Returns for Season 3 on Audience Network; Syfy's 23rd Annual Twilight Zone New Year's Eve Marathon
The Good Place Gets 4th Season; Nick's Henry Danger Turns 100
The Office Starts Jan. 1 on COZI TV; The Good Place Star to Host TBS Game Show
Comedy Central Orders Awkwafina Comedy; Remembering Ken Berry of F Troop, Mayberry R.F.D. and Mama's Family

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection Alice - The Complete Eighth Season Step by Step - The Complete Third Season

10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 6th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 7th Season
10/02 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 8th Season
10/02 - Ghosted - The Complete First Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Community - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
10/23 - Alice - The Complete Eighth Season
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Two
10/24 - The Odd Couple (2015) - Season Three
10/31 - The Bad News Bears - The Complete Series - All 26 Episodes
11/01 - Episodes - Season 5
11/05 - Robin Williams - Comic Genius (includes Mork & Mindy)
11/06 - American Dad! - Volume 13
11/16 - Man with a Plan - Season One
11/20 - Step by Step - The Complete Third Season
11/27 - What I Like About You - The Complete Third Season
12/04 - Family Guy - Season Sixteen
12/04 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Sixth Season
12/18 - Our Cartoon President - Season One
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #31
Zoneboy
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(
Forum Celebrity

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111
No wouldnt hurt moving it to your Base Zoneboy (It IS ok here though ON GENERAL DISCUSSIONS (Which covers ALL BASES (And beyond)))
I know and please don't use all caps with me. I've asked you more than once not to and it would be greatly appreciated if you didn't. I'm perfectly capable of understanding your point without the extra help.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #32
Steve_uk

There's more here,with clips I have never seen before. They made a difficult activity look incredibly easy,but then we didn't witness the hours of practice and rehearsals which must have accompanied their endeavours. And of course they were perfectionists.http://youtu.be/wOCk-D2fOpg?list=PL4D422842EADFE1C0
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:07 AM   #33
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
There's more here,with clips I have never seen before. They made a difficult activity look incredibly easy,but then we didn't witness the hours of practice and rehearsals which must have accompanied their endeavours. And of course they were perfectionists.http://youtu.be/wOCk-D2fOpg?list=PL4D422842EADFE1C0
Wow. What a great video, thanks steve_uk. God that Karen had the voice of an angel. And a fierce drummer to boot.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #34
Foggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup
I'd rather be called chubby than an A Hole. You're no better.
I believe Bonniegirl62 was referring to a person in a movie made many years ago. In the movie a "billboard article" was supposely wrote that Karen Carpenter was "chubby",(but it never existed) Karen was at 17 years old, 5'4" tall and 105 lbs--- may have been slightly "chubby" but she still looked "slender",,,from the movie it was suppose to have given her the reason for her "image problem."

So, you see that person would have been an "A-Hole" if he had existed and it was the cause of her eating disorder, but it wasn't the cause.

Many years after the movie, the real problem finally came out. The cause of her "eating disorder" became known: it was the "much needed love and acceptance" from her mother, that she needed, but wasn't getting. It is what really caused her eating disorder.
just because it is accepted by a majority
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:05 PM   #35
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy
I believe Bonniegirl62 was referring to a person in a movie made many years ago. In the movie a "billboard article" was supposely wrote that Karen Carpenter was "chubby",(but it never existed) Karen was at 17 years old, 5'4" tall and 105 lbs--- may have been slightly "chubby" but she still looked "slender",,,from the movie it was suppose to have given her the reason for her "image problem."

So, you see that person would have been an "A-Hole" if he had existed and it was the cause of her eating disorder, but it wasn't the cause.

Many years after the movie, the real problem finally came out. The cause of her "eating disorder" became known: it was the "much needed love and acceptance" from her mother, that she needed, but wasn't getting. It is what really caused her eating disorder.
Foggy I can quite well believe this,noting her diffidence whilst being interviewed behind the drum kit during that first televised experience. The mother quite often favours the son over the daughter and even more so with child prodigy Richard on the piano,whilst Karen took refuge on the drums after possibly finding Richard too hard an act to follow. Later of course she would discern that the public were coming primarily to see her. But I'd be interested in any documentary sources you have which confirm your suspicions regarding the mother.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #36
Foggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
Foggy I can quite well believe this,noting her diffidence whilst being interviewed behind the drum kit during that first televised experience. The mother quite often favours the son over the daughter and even more so with child prodigy Richard on the piano,whilst Karen took refuge on the drums after possibly finding Richard too hard an act to follow. Later of course she would discern that the public were coming primarily to see her. But I'd be interested in any documentary sources you have which confirm your suspicions regarding the mother.
I can't find a documentary online, but do remember Richard doing one after their mother(Agnes Carpenter) died on Oct 1 1996....I remember seeing one on VH1, on the show, "Behind The Music" I think!!
My memory may not be correct, but I think that is where Richard said he had to convience his mother to let Karen to go touring outside of the USA. Their mother thought it was ok for Richard to go, but inappropriate and to dangerous for Karen to go. Richard had to tell his mom that they were a team (a duo) and Karen had to go. It was the first time Richard had ever spoken of his family history. Again, for some reason I have this memory, but it may not be a correct one.

There is a book by Author Randy Schmidt with affection and comprehensive biography, published by Omnibus Press in 2010:
The Little Girl Blue:The Life Of Karen Carpenter

Here is an long article: (talks about the book)

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...a-book-extract

There is also reviews about this book on Amazon and NYTimes

Here is an article (another long one) from a newspaper called "The Downey Patriot.":

http://www.thedowneypatriot.com/arti...eded-was-love/

In this it mentions the book and few other sources. It even talks about some of the song lyrics, that over the years, even I have wondered if the songs were talking about her life (I made mention of this in post #5 of this thread, but didn't list the songs or lyrics.)

If I can find anything more I will post it. Happy reading.
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #37
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy

Thank you Foggy, that is exactly what I was referring to! The poster before me posted that a person who wrote for Billboard magazine had written that she was chubby.

So Coffeecup you might want to read the posts here more thoroughly before you attack somebody again here like you did me!!
Bonniegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #38
Steve_uk

There's another documentary here,which stresses the musical aspect and does not linger on the illness.http://youtu.be/IvALCAHMEVk
Old 02-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #39
Steve_uk

I don't normally like remakes,but Karen could read the telephone directory and one would be entertained. Does anyone know the date of this piece,which is reminiscent of the Abba videos with the main figure and a profile,set amidst a snowy backdrop..http://youtu.be/fsgj4xcxXyA
Old 02-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #40
Steve_uk

The Carpenters made this song their own,or is the original always the best..http://youtu.be/425GpjTSlS4
Old 02-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #41
Kate From CT
Frequent Poster

Rainy Days and Mondays - Love that song.

I also like their cover of "No Place like Home For The Holidays"
Kate From CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #42
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRoyHinkley
Rainy Days and Mondays - Love that song.

I also like their cover of "No Place like Home For The Holidays"
You are an incurable romantic Mrs Roy Hinkley but also a pragmatist and a realist. I always think of the Bob Geldof hit when I think of the former,which I believe was banned in your country due to its violent provenance. As for the latter,I'm sure you know it was a Perry Como hit,then released posthumously by Richard,presumably in time for the Christmas market.

How much simpler life was back then..http://youtu.be/SmPer3yNGHg
Old 02-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #43
janet42
Three's Company Fan!

Karen Carpenter was a great singer. I like everyone else loved her songs. Sadly Karen didn't love herself like we do. In the Karen Carpenter's movie, which was made in 1989, the psychartrist told Karen's mother that you need tell Karen that you love her. Her mom said,'We dont' need to tell her that we love her! I show that I love and she knows it." According to the book "Karen Carpenter Blue", the mother in the movie was kind compare to her real mom.

Here is the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIHyovdCMHE
janet42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #44
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet42
Karen Carpenter was a great singer. I like everyone else loved her songs. Sadly Karen didn't love herself like we do. In the Karen Carpenter's movie, which was made in 1989, the psychartrist told Karen's mother that you need tell Karen that you love her. Her mom said,'We dont' need to tell her that we love her! I show that I love and she knows it." According to the book "Karen Carpenter Blue", the mother in the movie was kind compare to her real mom.

Here is the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIHyovdCMHE
Thanks Janet42. I watched the film until she collapses onstage,whereupon my laptop shut down as a precaution-no damage done I think but just warning other members. From what I have watched it seems the mother is portrayed as only wanting the best for her daughter,whose life trajectory fell into a vacuum after success temporararily eluded the duo and Karen's marriage ran into difficulties. The irony was that she had put on weight near the end of her life but maybe at a rate which her heart could not withstand.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #45
Steve_uk

Did somebody say Karen Carpenter could read the telephone book and one would be entertained? How can I start the week without her..http://youtu.be/PjFoQxjgbrs