Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat > Chit Chat - Music

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Is Alice Next in Line for a Reboot?; CBS Gives Full Season to Three New Series
Fri-Yay: New Sitcoms - What's Working and What's Not?; Brockmire Season 3 Brings Out the Stars
ABC Picks Up Single Parents for Full Year; Netflix Gets Tia Mowry and Loretta Devine Sitcom
Showtime Comedy Gets More Stars; Netflix Orders New Comedy from Novel Writer
NBC Sets January 2019 Lineup; Team Coco Heads to New York Comedy Festival
ABC Fall Pilot Review: The Kids Are Alright - Premieres Tuesday (Oct. 16); FX Gets New Comedy for 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 15, 2018)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
10/02 - The Beverly Hillbillies - The Official Fifth Season
10/02 - The Love Boat - Season Four - Volume One / Volume Two
10/02 - Saved by the Bell - The Complete Collection
10/16 - Police Squad! - TV and Movie Collection
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Penny Lane
Aidan Turner-ON
Forum Celebrity

[QUOTE=bonniegirl62]Was Superstar the one that goes " Don't you remember you told me you loved me baby, said you'd be coming back this way again baby! Baby, baby, baby Oh baby. I love you , I really do"!! ?

I think it is . I love that song too! [/QUOTE

Yup that's Superstar. Listen to the emotion in her voice. It's almost heartbreaking. I think I read somewhere that Richard was at first against Karen recording this song because it's about a rock groupie. But she insisted. It's a classic!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
LUNCH

Karen Carpenter had one of the best singing voices I've ever heard.. It's impossibe for me to pick a favorite Carpenters song,but a few are "Sing A Song","Top of The World" and "Yesterday Once More" however she could have even read the phone book and I'd still listen.
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

[QUOTE=Penny Lane]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
Was Superstar the one that goes " Don't you remember you told me you loved me baby, said you'd be coming back this way again baby! Baby, baby, baby Oh baby. I love you , I really do"!! ?

I think it is . I love that song too! [/QUOTE

Yup that's Superstar. Listen to the emotion in her voice. It's almost heartbreaking. I think I read somewhere that Richard was at first against Karen recording this song because it's about a rock groupie. But she insisted. It's a classic!

Oh I know!!! It is a really heart touching song. Very emotional! Even as a little girl it touched my heart! We all wanted a rock star boyfriend, and she sang about that and even at a young age it was so beautiful and heart touching, something every girl could relate to, being in love but the guy telling all the girls the same line. Getting your heart broken!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #19
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNCH
Karen Carpenter had one of the best singing voices I've ever heard.. It's impossibe for me to pick a favorite Carpenters song,but a few are "Sing A Song","Top of The World" and "Yesterday Once More" however she could have even read the phone book and I'd still listen.
She may as well have been reading the telephone book in this next song if somebody could possibly translate for me..http://youtu.be/cHkKJMjY3Is
(But such a classy performance you'd have thought she'd been performing like this as a toddler..)

Last edited by Steve_uk; 02-10-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #20
Steve_uk

I'd forgotten Superstar. It reminds me a bit of Killing Me Softly in style and all those romantic songs of the 70s we just don't hear anymore.http://youtu.be/SJmmaIGiGBg
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #21
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
I'd forgotten Superstar. It reminds me a bit of Killing Me Softly in style and all those romantic songs of the 70s we just don't hear anymore.http://youtu.be/SJmmaIGiGBg

Yes!! There sure were some pretty songs back in that era!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #22
Dude111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Suggest this be moved to the music forum, probably not hurting anything here but it's obviously a music topic.
No wouldnt hurt moving it to your Base Zoneboy (It IS ok here though ON GENERAL DISCUSSIONS (Which covers ALL BASES (And beyond)))
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #23
Steve_uk

Karen and Richard in happier times. I wonder if Richard in this clip is finally realizing just what a star they have found in his little sister,and he seems to be taking it all in good spirits.http://youtu.be/FDPMmaHWj1I
Old 02-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #24
Janice
No one gets out alive.
Administrator
Forum Celebrity

I saw a profile of Richard Carpenter a few years back, and he was still devastated by her death. He was very close to Karen. He has a shrine to her in his house, with her grand piano in it. I got the feeling that he was having trouble getting past her loss.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #25
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I saw a profile of Richard Carpenter a few years back, and he was still devastated by her death. He was very close to Karen. He has a shrine to her in his house, with her grand piano in it. I got the feeling that he was having trouble getting past her loss.
There's an interview here a few months after her death. There must be many thoughts running through his head,not least whether he could have saved her and whether he still bears guilt.http://youtu.be/B9XGUgOef28
Old 02-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #26
Family Ties Forever!
Forum Veteran

She had a great voice. She died too young. I was only 4 when she died.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #27
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend

Like all of you, I loved Karen Carpenter. She DID have the voice of an angel. Right after Barbra Streisand, Karen's my favorite female vocalist. Ella F. Is third. IMO Karen MADE the Carpenters. AND what no one has seemed to mention, Karen was a FANTASTIC drummer. I've seen some of her videos drumming and she's breathtaking.

My favorite song by Karen? How do you pick just one? So..my favorite by Karen...anything! Like LUNCH she could have sang the phone book and I'd be spellbound too.

My heart breaks when I think of how she struggled with her anorexia (and bulemia). Sadly, doctors weren't as sensitive to this condition as they are now. We truly lost a vastly talented and kindly soul.

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #28
Steve_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Like all of you, I loved Karen Carpenter. She DID have the voice of an angel. Right after Barbra Streisand, Karen's my favorite female vocalist. Ella F. Is third. IMO Karen MADE the Carpenters. AND what no one has seemed to mention, Karen was a FANTASTIC drummer. I've seen some of her videos drumming and she's breathtaking.

My favorite song by Karen? How do you pick just one? So..my favorite by Karen...anything! Like LUNCH she could have sang the phone book and I'd be spellbound too.

My heart breaks when I think of how she struggled with her anorexia (and bulemia). Sadly, doctors weren't as sensitive to this condition as they are now. We truly lost a vastly talented and kindly soul.
I don't know much about Richard,whether he was a classically-trained pianist which I assume he was? Didn't he write the songs after all? What a shame Karen didn't have the self-esteem to keep her own persona but tried to mimic others,including an Abba song I heard her sing on a youtube clip dressed in Napoleon boots and culottes,then there was the Olivia Newton-John influence with the Grease film in 1978. I don't want to blame anyone in particular but I don't feel that she had anyone to turn to who was a dependable friend,apart from ironically her brother Richard,who had addiction problems himself,when I've heard it said upon his admittance to the Kansas clinic that's when her problems started.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #29
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
OMG . Somebody wrote that??? What an A Hole!!!!
I'd rather be called chubby than an A Hole. You're no better.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #30
Steve_uk

We loved her for herself,not what an imagined popstar should look like. http://youtu.be/dPmbT5XC-q0