Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Guests Line Up for Caroline Rhea Series; UnREAL Season 4 Premieres on Hulu
Celebrities Get Animated on Animal Planet; Freeform Drama Pilot Underway
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 16, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Game of Thrones Leads Emmy Nominations; New Beverly Hillbillies DVDs Coming in October
Fri-Yay: What Was the Best Decade for Sitcoms?; The 70th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations
Netflix Gets Christina Applegate Comedy; South Park Returns Sept. 26 for Season 22
Alone Together Returns Aug. 1 on Freeform; Sony Crackle Gets Rob Riggle Comedy


New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July)

New Girl - The Complete Seventh Season Alice - The Complete Seventh Season Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Second Season

06/05 - Living Single - The Complete Fifth Season
06/05 - New Girl - The Complete Sixth Season
06/05 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-First Season (Blu-ray)
06/12 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fourth Season
06/12 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Third Season
06/12 - The Office - The Complete Series
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Speechless - The Complete Second Season
06/12 - Step by Step - The Complete First Season
06/12 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season One (Blu-ray)
06/19 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fourth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Fifth Season
06/26 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Sixth Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete First Season
06/26 - The Mick - The Complete Second Season
07/03 - New Girl - The Final (Seventh) Season
07/10 - Alice - The Complete Seventh Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - The Bill Engvall Show - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
07/10 - Green Acres - The Final (Sixth) Season
07/10 - The Last Man on Earth - The Complete Fourth Season
07/17 - Cooper Barrett's Guide to Surviving Life - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Good Place - The Complete Second Season
07/17 - Son of Zorn - The Complete Series
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 PM   #16
Penny Lane
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Penny Lane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2001
Location: Beneath the blue suburban skies
Posts: 27,228
Default

[QUOTE=bonniegirl62]Was Superstar the one that goes " Don't you remember you told me you loved me baby, said you'd be coming back this way again baby! Baby, baby, baby Oh baby. I love you , I really do"!! ?

I think it is . I love that song too! [/QUOTE

Yup that's Superstar. Listen to the emotion in her voice. It's almost heartbreaking. I think I read somewhere that Richard was at first against Karen recording this song because it's about a rock groupie. But she insisted. It's a classic!
__________________
The Beatles saved the world from boredom- George Harrison
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
LUNCH
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 23, 2010
Location: New York State
Posts: 1,068
Default

Karen Carpenter had one of the best singing voices I've ever heard.. It's impossibe for me to pick a favorite Carpenters song,but a few are "Sing A Song","Top of The World" and "Yesterday Once More" however she could have even read the phone book and I'd still listen.
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity
 
Bonniegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2014
Posts: 33,350
Default

[QUOTE=Penny Lane]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
Was Superstar the one that goes " Don't you remember you told me you loved me baby, said you'd be coming back this way again baby! Baby, baby, baby Oh baby. I love you , I really do"!! ?

I think it is . I love that song too! [/QUOTE

Yup that's Superstar. Listen to the emotion in her voice. It's almost heartbreaking. I think I read somewhere that Richard was at first against Karen recording this song because it's about a rock groupie. But she insisted. It's a classic!

Oh I know!!! It is a really heart touching song. Very emotional! Even as a little girl it touched my heart! We all wanted a rock star boyfriend, and she sang about that and even at a young age it was so beautiful and heart touching, something every girl could relate to, being in love but the guy telling all the girls the same line. Getting your heart broken!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #19
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNCH
Karen Carpenter had one of the best singing voices I've ever heard.. It's impossibe for me to pick a favorite Carpenters song,but a few are "Sing A Song","Top of The World" and "Yesterday Once More" however she could have even read the phone book and I'd still listen.
She may as well have been reading the telephone book in this next song if somebody could possibly translate for me..http://youtu.be/cHkKJMjY3Is
(But such a classy performance you'd have thought she'd been performing like this as a toddler..)

Last edited by Steve_uk; 02-10-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:13 PM   #20
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,751
Default

I'd forgotten Superstar. It reminds me a bit of Killing Me Softly in style and all those romantic songs of the 70s we just don't hear anymore.http://youtu.be/SJmmaIGiGBg
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #21
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity
 
Bonniegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2014
Posts: 33,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_uk
I'd forgotten Superstar. It reminds me a bit of Killing Me Softly in style and all those romantic songs of the 70s we just don't hear anymore.http://youtu.be/SJmmaIGiGBg

Yes!! There sure were some pretty songs back in that era!
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #22
Dude111
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 05, 2013
Posts: 5,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Suggest this be moved to the music forum, probably not hurting anything here but it's obviously a music topic.
No wouldnt hurt moving it to your Base Zoneboy (It IS ok here though ON GENERAL DISCUSSIONS (Which covers ALL BASES (And beyond)))
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:56 PM   #23
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,751
Default

Karen and Richard in happier times. I wonder if Richard in this clip is finally realizing just what a star they have found in his little sister,and he seems to be taking it all in good spirits.http://youtu.be/FDPMmaHWj1I
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #24
Janice
No one gets out alive.
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
 
Janice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 03, 2001
Location: Beantown
Posts: 36,014
Default

I saw a profile of Richard Carpenter a few years back, and he was still devastated by her death. He was very close to Karen. He has a shrine to her in his house, with her grand piano in it. I got the feeling that he was having trouble getting past her loss.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #25
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I saw a profile of Richard Carpenter a few years back, and he was still devastated by her death. He was very close to Karen. He has a shrine to her in his house, with her grand piano in it. I got the feeling that he was having trouble getting past her loss.
There's an interview here a few months after her death. There must be many thoughts running through his head,not least whether he could have saved her and whether he still bears guilt.http://youtu.be/B9XGUgOef28
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #26
Family Ties Forever!
Member
Moderator
Forum Veteran
 
Family Ties Forever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 16, 2002
Posts: 10,013
Default

She had a great voice. She died too young. I was only 4 when she died.
__________________
Jenny
Family Ties Forever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #27
OH Nuts!
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!
Forum Legend
 
OH Nuts!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 15, 2005
Posts: 59,907
Default

Like all of you, I loved Karen Carpenter. She DID have the voice of an angel. Right after Barbra Streisand, Karen's my favorite female vocalist. Ella F. Is third. IMO Karen MADE the Carpenters. AND what no one has seemed to mention, Karen was a FANTASTIC drummer. I've seen some of her videos drumming and she's breathtaking.

My favorite song by Karen? How do you pick just one? So..my favorite by Karen...anything! Like LUNCH she could have sang the phone book and I'd be spellbound too.

My heart breaks when I think of how she struggled with her anorexia (and bulemia). Sadly, doctors weren't as sensitive to this condition as they are now. We truly lost a vastly talented and kindly soul.
__________________
Thank you SHOUT! & Antenna TV

xxoo You both Rock!!
OH Nuts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #28
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH Nuts!
Like all of you, I loved Karen Carpenter. She DID have the voice of an angel. Right after Barbra Streisand, Karen's my favorite female vocalist. Ella F. Is third. IMO Karen MADE the Carpenters. AND what no one has seemed to mention, Karen was a FANTASTIC drummer. I've seen some of her videos drumming and she's breathtaking.

My favorite song by Karen? How do you pick just one? So..my favorite by Karen...anything! Like LUNCH she could have sang the phone book and I'd be spellbound too.

My heart breaks when I think of how she struggled with her anorexia (and bulemia). Sadly, doctors weren't as sensitive to this condition as they are now. We truly lost a vastly talented and kindly soul.
I don't know much about Richard,whether he was a classically-trained pianist which I assume he was? Didn't he write the songs after all? What a shame Karen didn't have the self-esteem to keep her own persona but tried to mimic others,including an Abba song I heard her sing on a youtube clip dressed in Napoleon boots and culottes,then there was the Olivia Newton-John influence with the Grease film in 1978. I don't want to blame anyone in particular but I don't feel that she had anyone to turn to who was a dependable friend,apart from ironically her brother Richard,who had addiction problems himself,when I've heard it said upon his admittance to the Kansas clinic that's when her problems started.
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #29
Coffeecup
coffeecup.
Senior Member
 
Coffeecup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 17, 2003
Location: snoozeville
Posts: 2,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
OMG . Somebody wrote that??? What an A Hole!!!!
I'd rather be called chubby than an A Hole. You're no better.
Coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #30
Steve_uk
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 29, 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 1,751
Default

We loved her for herself,not what an imagined popstar should look like. http://youtu.be/dPmbT5XC-q0
Steve_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.