Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #31
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppypacer
The show where she had the teenage daughter and young son and Vivian Vance had a son and they lived together was not bad. But apparently she was jealous of the attention Candy Moore was getting and wrote her out of the show and eventually shipped her tv son to military school and went solo until bringing in her own two kids in a later series.

Making up stuff? Elaborate on "the attention Candy Moore was getting." From the beginning, Candy Moore and the other kids on the show played minor characters. This show was created for Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance. The rest of the cast -- with the exception of Gale Gordon, who came later -- were props. Candy Moore was written out of the show for the same reason the two young male actors were written out of the show. (You think she was jealous of Ralph Hart and Jimmy Garrett, too?) Vivian Vance decided to quit the show at the end of the third season, in 1965. Consequently, Lucille Ball was considering ending the series. She was going to continue on with a brand-new series with Gale Gordon. A pilot had been filmed a year earlier, with Bob Hope as a guest star. But Desilu felt she should continue The Lucy Show in order to get at least get 100 episodes in the can (they only had 84 by the end of the '64-'65 season). One hundred is considered a magic number for the number of episodes needed for weekday syndicated reruns. Also, CBS did not want to her end The Lucy Show. They wanted her to somehow continue the series. Then Maury Thompson and Tommy Thompson came up with a concept where Lucy Carmichael moves to Los Angeles and has encounters with celebrities. Ms. Ball liked their idea and that pretty much settled it. Candy Moore, Ralph Hart and Jimmy Garrett only had a small role on the show in the beginning. By the third season, their roles had been greatly diminished and no longer appeared in most episodes. And with the new format, they would be needed even less. So they were written out.
Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM/8:00 PM Central on CBS
Old 07-07-2017, 03:14 AM   #32
TMC
Forum Celebrity

This is likely going to be a rather controversial opinion but here it goes...Lucille Ball really didn't know how to evolve. Without Desi Arnez, there was no one really helping her choose material. She had gag writers on Here's Lucy. Her other shows had various combinations of her old writers who wrote basically old fashioned stuff she liked. Ball was not really funny herself and her persona wasn't that much different from the character she played in Stage Door.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #33
TV Guy

She was a wonderful performer, but was not a guiding force creatively as Desi and Jess Oppenheimer had been on I Love Lucy. It's not coincidence that the first season of The Lucy Show is the best: Desi was still around for part of it to guide the show and coax the writers to do rewrites on their lesser efforts. Lucy should have gotten Jess back to produce the Lucy Show after Desi left.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #34
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Making up stuff? Elaborate on "the attention Candy Moore was getting." From the beginning, Candy Moore and the other kids on the show played minor characters. This show was created for Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance. The rest of the cast -- with the exception of Gale Gordon, who came later -- were props. Candy Moore was written out of the show for the same reason the two young male actors were written out of the show. (You think she was jealous of Ralph Hart and Jimmy Garrett, too?) Vivian Vance decided to quit the show at the end of the third season, in 1965. Consequently, Lucille Ball was considering ending the series. She was going to continue on with a brand-new series with Gale Gordon. A pilot had been filmed a year earlier, with Bob Hope as a guest star. But Desilu felt she should continue The Lucy Show in order to get at least get 100 episodes in the can (they only had 84 by the end of the '64-'65 season). One hundred is considered a magic number for the number of episodes needed for weekday syndicated reruns. Also, CBS did not want to her end The Lucy Show. They wanted her to somehow continue the series. Then Maury Thompson and Tommy Thompson came up with a concept where Lucy Carmichael moves to Los Angeles and has encounters with celebrities. Ms. Ball liked their idea and that pretty much settled it. Candy Moore, Ralph Hart and Jimmy Garrett only had a small role on the show in the beginning. By the third season, their roles had been greatly diminished and no longer appeared in most episodes. And with the new format, they would be needed even less. So they were written out.

Interesting.
I have watched the different "Lucy" shows that existed throughout the 1960s into the early 1970s and I was very young but I noticed that the "The Lucy Show" had different "background characters" from "I Love Lucy" or "Here's Lucy." The ones with Desi Arnaz I knew must have been made before I was born and were always in reruns. I remember the show which featured Lucy and Vivian as characters with young kids, and I recall one episode in which Lucy was chosen to be the umpire at one of her son's baseball games and she interfered with the game by holding one kid from the other team by the legs as he tried to catch the ball or run to a base. I am not sure what Lucy's character's last name in this series , or Vivian's.
I don't have recollections about how those child characters were phased out or written out of the show before the show ended. I am surprised that in one of the Lucy shows before "Here's Lucy" Lucy was depicted as having a young daughter. Or that is what I best understand of what it says in your post. I don't recall ever seeing episodes in any of the shows in which she had a daughter other than "Kim" in the very final Lucy series.

Can anyone tell me how to find some general information about the different Lucy shows and what regular characters were in each?
Also anyone know about the names of each episode in each, at least the episodes in the Lucy shows that came after "The Lucy and Desi Comedy Hour"?
I would like to know about that episode in which Lucy was umpire at her young son's baseball game, if anyone else recalls that one.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #35
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by um
I don't recall ever seeing episodes in any of the shows in which she had a daughter other than "Kim" in the very final Lucy series.

Are you aware that Lucille Ball had a short-lived sitcom in 1986 called Life With Lucy?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #36
um
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM77
Are you aware that Lucille Ball had a short-lived sitcom in 1986 called Life With Lucy?

I recall the sitcom name "Life With Lucy" but I don't recall it was in the mid 1980s. Lucielle Ball died in 1989. How did she have enough energy only 3 years before her passing to do one more sitcom?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #37
Alan Brady's Hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by um

Can anyone tell me how to find some general information about the different Lucy shows and what regular characters were in each?
Also anyone know about the names of each episode in each, at least the episodes in the Lucy shows that came after "The Lucy and Desi Comedy Hour"?
I would like to know about that episode in which Lucy was umpire at her young son's baseball game, if anyone else recalls that one.

Each show has a Wikipedia article that should contain general information about the show and characters. Each article should have a little box summarizing the information, and that box should have a link saying "List of Episodes." That list usually contains a brief description of each episode.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #38
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by um
I recall the sitcom name "Life With Lucy" but I don't recall it was in the mid 1980s. Lucielle Ball died in 1989. How did she have enough energy only 3 years before her passing to do one more sitcom?

I don't know, but it happened. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090473/