Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
Babalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
Lucielle Ball lost steam by 1968...she got discouraged to be in movies once Mame became a flop! Then she was in Life with Lucy and her fame was fading by then.

I don't think Lucy's 'fame' ever faded. I think her star power faded. There's a difference. During her lifetime, I Love Lucy was still the most popular show ever in syndication and she was treated as a living legend. But people weren't interested in seeing her try to recreate her formula with inferior material and casts. In fact, it was sad. It was like watching an aged great athlete fumble around on the field at old-timer's day.

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Old 01-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #17
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Of course, she didn't start playing the "Lucy" character until she was 40. Had she started playing the character when she was 25 - 30 years old, it would have been more believable I think. By the time she started doing "The Lucy Show" she just looked to "mature" for the role.

By today's standards, it would be like a 55-year-old actress trying to play a 30 - 35 year old part of a "young wife" with a newborn.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:20 AM   #18
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameShowFan66
I think "I Love Lucy" was so engrained upon the American consciousness as a whole, that shows afterward "The Lucy Show" and "Here's Lucy" were not as funny to us. We were so used to having Ricky, Fred & Ethel. The Lucy Show had Ethel "Vivian", but she left after 2 or 3 years, and it was just Lucy by herself pretty much. Gale Gordon was a great comic actor and foe for the various Lucy characters, but it just wasn't the same to me, and I'm sure to others too. That being said, I'd much rather watch "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy" than just about anything that current sitcoms have to offer.

With that being said, I wonder if I Love Lucy wouldn't at all work or have any real relevance today (yes it may still be popular as it is because Lucille Ball was very funny) because in no sense in the world would a TV show depicting a wife who behaves like a child and an overbearing husband who treats her like a child be successful?
Old 01-16-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
mets82

I dont see where Ricky was overbearing. I mean Lucy did act like a child sometimes. What would want Ricky to do? Walk all over him? I mean take these examples:

When Lucy was never ready on time
When Lucy switched kept switching tables
When Lucy went over her expense account
When Lucy tried to finagle her way into Ricky's shows

In these incidents, Ricky had to put his foot down. What would you want him to do?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:30 AM   #20
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
Lucielle Ball lost steam by 1968...she got discouraged to be in movies once Mame became a flop! Then she was in Life with Lucy and her fame was fading by then.

Yours, Mine, and Ours (released in 1968) was one of the highest grossing films of that year.

Here's Lucy was top 10 and top 15 for five of it's six seasons (It ranked Top 3 in it's third season). Lucy was going to end HL in season five, but then CBS president, Fred Silverman, convinced Lucy to continue the series for one more season (Basically, the network still needed her).

After HL, she did specials, which, for the most part, were ratings successes.

I think she had opportunities, she just didn't take them. Many blame her 2nd husband, Gary Morton, and he did discourage her from projects, that in hindsight, she should have taken. However, in hindsight, everything is foreseeable. lol

Last edited by That Other Fan : 04-05-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #21
mets82

Yours, Mine and Ours was a very good and funny movie. I do think that maybe back then, people assoicated Lucy with Fred, Ethel and Ricky and maybe people were not used to seeing her on her own? I mean I wasnt around back then but maybe thats why some people see her as a flop as time went on.

I will say that from what I've watched Here's Lucy wasnt that great. Was there a guest star in every episode? Plus, to me, it just wasnt that funny.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #22
MichaelKeith
Forum Regular

I was around back then, (though only 3 in 1968) but have seen the movie Yours, Mine and Ours on tv a couple of times and not only is it a very good movie, but Miss Ball does a great job of acting in it. She also did a great job in 1985s Stone Pillow. Just a total professional all the way around. I don't think her popularity was dying out. I believe she voluntarily retired/ended the Here's Lucy show in 1974 because she was tired of the daily grind of series TV. Let's face it, she had effectively worked in tv most years since 1951, when I Love Lucy premiered.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:21 AM   #23
That Other Fan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
Yours, Mine and Ours was a very good and funny movie. I do think that maybe back then, people assoicated Lucy with Fred, Ethel and Ricky and maybe people were not used to seeing her on her own? I mean I wasnt around back then but maybe thats why some people see her as a flop as time went on.

I will say that from what I've watched Here's Lucy wasnt that great. Was there a guest star in every episode? Plus, to me, it just wasnt that funny.

I think now it's a shock to see her as "Lucy" in an arena without Fred, Ethel, and Ricky, but she was something of an institution by the time "Here's Lucy" began it's run. You could literally see her on TV morning ("I Love Lucy"), noon ("The Lucy Show"), and night.

Pretty amazing considering there were only three channels at the time.

"Here's Lucy" was a top 10 series for most of it's six season run. "The Lucy Show" was a top 10 series for it's entire six season run (In fact, it finished it's last season as the #2 show on television), so the public never tired of her.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #24
scrapple
Frequent Poster

I Love Lucy was probably the best sitcom ever. The Lucy Show wasn't in the same league, but it wasn't bad, mostly because you still had Vivian ( for awhile) and some of the ILL writers. But then she got in the habit of hiring REALLY weak supporting characters. Here's Lucy was the worst. No one strong enough to play off of, untalented kids and the endless parade of guest stars.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #25
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Yours, Mine and Ours was a very good and funny movie. I do think that maybe back then, people assoicated Lucy with Fred, Ethel and Ricky and maybe people were not used to seeing her on her own?

That's certainly not true. When Here's Lucy came on the air in 1968, Lucille Ball had just finished six years of The Lucy Show (won Emmys the last two seasons). That show had no Ricky or Fred. And Vivian Vance was only on the show the first three seasons. The Lucy Show show was one of CBS's top shows. So viewers were quite used to seeing Lucy without Ricky, Fred and Ethel, and had accepted her that way.

Quote:

No, there wasn't a guest star in every episode. It was actually only about half of the episodes that had a guest star. That's still a lot, but it's in people's imagination that every episode had a guest star.

The show is hit or miss. Several episodes each season were laugh-out-loud funny, but most are just so-so. In retrospect, Lucille Ball should have ended her weekly TV run with The Lucy Show. She had kept that show going allegedly so that she could have a hit show to use as leverage to sell CBS other Desilu series. (There was a yearly routine where Lucy would threaten to quit The Lucy Show if CBS didn't put a new Desilu show on the schedule.)

In 1967, Lucille Ball sold Desilu, so there was no longer a compelling reason for her to continue in series television other than her compulsion to be working all the time. But as an artist, she had earned so much clout in the industry: back-to-back Emmy Awards in '67 and '68 for The Lucy Show, on top of her earlier Emmys for I Love Lucy; her show was at the top of the ratings in 1968; and as has been noted, Yours, Mine and Ours was one of the biggest hits of 1968. It's true that there are not a ton of good scripts for older actresses, but Lucille Ball had so much clout and power, and such a huge fan base, she could have found projects that suited her.

I Love Lucy was the biggest TV show of the '50s, and The Lucy Show was one of the top shows of the '60s. She should have quit while she was ahead and focused on an occasional good movie role and TV specials. Doing Here's Lucy, in spite of its popularity at the time, did nothing to enhance her legacy.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:55 PM   #26
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

Quote:

I liked Desi Jr but Lucie was just annoying and unlikable. I liked Gale Gordon in The Lucy Show but not Here's Lucy. I. too, watched the series recently on some cable channel. After Desi Jr left it just became less and less interesting. The writing was "off" and they just seemed to be stretching for plausible "Lucy" ideas. I think the fact that Lucy and Gale were clearly aging, some of the physical bits just didn't have the same punch as if someone 30 years younger was doing them. And Mary Jane needed to be a regular. They missed the boat on using her only semi-regularly.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #27
Crusinforabrusin

Here's Lucy was Lucille Ball's best show. Her and her children Lucy And Desi Arnaz Jr. are great in this show. And you can not forget Gale Gordon who was the best character of the show! I Love Lucy used to be my favorite Lucille Ball show but over time, I have grown to dislike it somewhat. it seems there's a lot of physical comedy in I Love Lucy. In Here's Lucy there's less physical comedy and more one-liners , which I enjoy
Old 09-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #28
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusinforabrusin
Here's Lucy was Lucille Ball's best show.

Umm . . . no.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:55 PM   #29
peppypacer
Frequent Poster

Why did Lucy always scream her lines in her post I Love Lucy shows? Did she think the mikes weren't too good or something? The show where she had the teenage daughter and young son and Vivian Vance had a son and they lived together was not bad. But apparently she was jealous of the attention Candy Moore was getting and wrote her out of the show and eventually shipped her tv son to military school and went solo until bringing in her own two kids in a later series.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #30
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppypacer
Why did Lucy always scream her lines in her post I Love Lucy shows? Did she think the mikes weren't too good or something? The show where she had the teenage daughter and young son and Vivian Vance had a son and they lived together was not bad. But apparently she was jealous of the attention Candy Moore was getting and wrote her out of the show and eventually shipped her tv son to military school and went solo until bringing in her own two kids in a later series.
I doubt she was was jealous of the attention Candy was getting. I don't think the kids had that many episodes centered around them after the first season.