Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Lifetime Site / Lifetime Schedule / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-08-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Default Resurrection Mary Deserves Her Own Thread!

There is one on the movie but not on the spirit herself.

RESURRECTION MARY MYTHS AND REASONS THEYíRE MYTHS:

MYTH: Resurrection Mary has been identified as Mary Bregovy.
FACT: She hasnít been positively identified as anybody! There are at least five good candidates, well-profiled here: http://psiresearcher.wordpress.com/2...rrection-mary/ The best candidate was actually named Anna, history here: http://www.ghostvillage.com/resource...03232007.shtml

Resurrection Cemetery staff will hang up the phone in a second if you call mentioning this subject. None of the reenactments on Unsolved Mysteries or other programs were filmed thereóthey will stop the making of even amateur videos by paid-up members, telling them to leave. (As far as I know, this much is true.)

MYTH: They do this because the Catholic Church accepts only three destinations for souls of the deceased, Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory. Therefore, there are no ghosts and none of these events happened. These prejudiced people reject the many allegations regarding Mary because they donít fit into their own narrow beliefs system. They are so opinionated they are not worth bothering with.
FACT: They donít like talking about it because every time the subject comes up, the neighborhood is flooded with curiosity-seekers, yahoos, and hooligans, and the cemetery is subject to a lot of vandalism. Donít ask me where I got thisóit was on some message board, not one of my regular ones, from someone claiming to be a local residentóbut it had a ring of truth to it. The first part can be verified through online searchesóthe police department clamps down with such strict surveillance, you canít get near the place on Halloween! As for whether they believe it or not, there is excellent evidence that the best piece of physical evidence in this case, the cemetery gate bars featured in the article referenced above, were in fact removed, preserved in secret, and replaced with duplicates installed upside down and loose along with a truly pathetic story of how they got that way.

MYTH: Mary appears only late at night to people who are lost, disoriented, and unfamiliar with the neighborhoodólocals donít see her.
FACT: In pursuing this subject, I contacted longtime local resident Frank Andrejasich, the researcher who has identified Mary as Anna Norkus. He was kind enough to call and write me at his own expense. What I was able to infer from what he and others said, or declined to say, was that plenty of local residents have seen Mary. They donít avoid discussing this because other locals will consider them crazy, as probably everyone around there has either seen her, or knows someone who has. They donít discuss it for pretty much the reason cemetery staff donítóit brings a lot of unwanted traffic into the neighborhood and creates disruption in general, so is considered a troublemaking thing to do. (The couple who appeared on Unsolved Mysteries were locals.)

There is at least something to these stories, as many people who reported sightings did see things late at night, and often when they were lost and disoriented. The nearest open business is a bar named Chetís Melody Lounge, where terrified witnesses would stagger in saying they just saw something strange, yet as far as anyone seems to know, no one who works at Chetís has seen herónow, how frustrating would that be?

MYTH: Only drunks see Resurrection Mary.
FACT: Well, the nearest business open at the times of night she usually appears is a bar where people go for a drink to steady their nerves after having seen her, so you do the math.

MYTH: Mary appears only to men.
FACT: Estimates put sightings at around 70% male witnesses. It helps if they are young and attractive, but Mary doesnít confine herself to any age or gender. It would be interesting to see statistics on how many people saw her after hearing there was a ghost and how many were unfamiliar with the story, but since not all sightings are reported, there are no reliable figures on that.

Frank Andrejasich let me in on the distinct possibility that the best-known and most exciting story about Mary, which had her spending an evening dancing with, and even kissing, Jerry Palus, was an exaggeration if not an outright fabrication. Whatís believed to have actually happened is that some relatives of his picked Mary up one night, and he embellished the story. Inquiries regarding the address he claimed she gave him never panned out, and I found myself that he incorporated many elements of another well-known phantom hitchhiker tale, that of Lavender, which originated in the Ramapo region of New York. A good version is found here: http://jackmblogs.wordpress.com/lave...mapo-new-york/ This is said to have actually happened to someone at some point in time, but unlike Resurrection Mary, itís never been successfully traced back to determine who. Itís of interest in indicating that the story had at least made it to Chicago by 1939.

MYTH: There are phantom hitchhiker stories from all over the world, some of them with similarities to the Resurrection Mary events. For some examples, see the headings "Vila" and "Western European References" in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superna...lavic_folklore Many such stories are obviously myths. Therefore, every phantom hitchhiker story ever told by anyone at any time anywhere in the world is an urban legend, by definition false, despite numerous witnesses, including credible individuals such as police officers, reporting the exact same figures and occurrences in the exact same locations for decades.
FACT: HA! If you believe this one, just remove all paper currency currently in your possession and throw it in the trash, or, better yet, send it to me--because currency of all kinds have been known to be counterfeited, and bills are far easier to fake than coins. Therefore, if you donít want to be caught with the goods or exposed to unsavory elements, from now on, youíd better pay for everything with either plastic, or better, coins. Preferably pennies. Bills are unsanitary and covered with drug traces and microbes, so youíd better just send all that filthy lucre to me so I can dispose of it properly! Just PM me for my address and Iíll wait for the cash to come rolling in!
Old 11-08-2014, 04:36 AM   #2
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori aka ChrisSCrush
There is one on the movie but not on the spirit herself.

There are numerous threads about Resurrection Mary on here. Here is just one of them:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...urrection+mary
Old 11-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #3
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
There are numerous threads about Resurrection Mary on here. Here is just one of them:

Well, silly me! I searched it but not under the wrong spelling!
Old 11-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182

The majority of those threads are us complaining about Lifetime airing Resurrection Mary too often, as they did constantly around 2002-2003ish.

Then someone from this forum, I forget who, actually emailed Lifetime in 2004 and asked them to air the early classic segments from the first five seasons. Amazingly, they agreed and started airing them.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
The majority of those threads are us complaining about Lifetime airing Resurrection Mary too often, as they did constantly around 2002-2003ish.

Then someone from this forum, I forget who, actually emailed Lifetime in 2004 and asked them to air the early classic segments from the first five seasons. Amazingly, they agreed and started airing them.

Thanks for posting such a nice answer and setting my mind at ease, and that's great that they listened! I realized after posting last night, the mistake that I made. Before posting the above, I wanted to check what I'd said on the subject here before, to make sure I didn't repeat myself, so I did a search with a filter, looking for only threads with posts by me--I usually never use a filter. Then, I forgot I used it, thought I'd seen all the threads on the subject, and made this one. After realizing my mistake (easy to make late at night) I felt bad, thinking I'd somehow missed a lot of posts on one of my favorite subjects--which you have now saved me the trouble of checking one by one--so thanks!

As for where the "myths" came from, if anyone asks--some were repeated on Unsolved Mysteries, some on other programs, most on the internet. Frank A. (forgive me for not retyping his full name) told me the one about the drunks. I remember one program, don't recall what it was, but the girl in the reenactment was so wrong--Mary is always described as having long "spooly" curls, and bare hands, so she could leave the prints on the gate bars. Their "Mary" had her hair up and was wearing long gloves!
Old 11-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Nickolas086
Frequent Poster

Quote:

OMG I remember when they use to air that case to many times to point I had to stop watching the show because of it. I wonder why they aired Resurrection Mary so many times on Lifetime.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
wiseguy182

Quote:

That's not what I found. Most of the threads I saw had to do with posters driving in that area, that sort of thing. Just sayin'

The one segment I remember being played ALL THE TIME was that Cokeville school bombing attempt. Every time I saw that opening with the couple wheeling that cart down the hall, it was an instant channel-changer.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
Awsi Dooger

I wouldn't have cared if Unsolved Mysteries in its heyday ran a Resurrection Mary segment every week. I still want to spend several hours walking around that cemetery, in the wee hours amidst bitter cold.

Two weeks ago I visited Colonial Williamsburg. What a joke. Their so-called ghost tours are held between 6 and 8:30 PM, not a proper hour like 3 AM. Scary tales like, "An employee swore she turned the lights out, then when she got outside she turned around and they were on." I nearly feinted on that one.

Besides, Resurrection Mary is one of the few babes I've ever honored with my avatar around here. I might do it again other than I have such a fondness for sandwiches. I can't find a clip of Mary chowing down on a Whopper, or the equivalent during her era. I would want to die early myself if I realized I came along before the Whopper.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

What a great reply, and I love your avatar!

Yes, Resurrection Cemetery is probably #1 on my list of haunted places to visit.

One story I found hard to believe when I first read it (years before UM was on) was the one about Mary damaging the cemetery gate bars. I noticed UM omitted that from their segment and assumed at the time it was because it was just too unbelievable. After reading all the evidence indicating it really happened, and how said evidence was covered up, I assume that UM didn't feature it either due to time constraints, cemetery staff being difficult when confronted about the issue, or the fact that the evidence disappeared and couldn't be photographed for the show. Also, they had witnesses who had seen the ghost, which was maybe considered more exciting than witnesses who had seen the damaged gate.

It's interesting that although Oprah had her show right there in Chicago for years, she doesn't seem to have done an episode on Mary or famous Chicago ghosts in general--she just did a few with people who had seen ghosts or had haunted houses.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #10
wiseguy182

We debunked the myth that the kid is holding a burger a long time ago. Look at it closely and it's clearly a pail or bucket. Note the handle, which is clearly visible.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs and have been looking for Resurrection Mary on two occasions (aka driving past Resurrection Cemetery, lol.)

I never saw her, but I must say the area is genuinely on the eerie side. The road past the cemetery is very narrow and very thick with trees and I can't imagine seeing HER float by in that type of environment.

I find the story fascinating because, unlike a lot of other ghost stories/urban legends, this one seems to have REAL witnesses, several REAL deceased women who would be good candidates for the ghost, as well as lots of mainstream media coverage.

There are lots of articles over the years from Chicago newspapers about Mary and I've read in several different books about the infamous cemetery gate bars -- a few even included photos. The books say that the bars were supposedly backed-into by a truck or something, but I don't know....looked pretty darn creepy to me!

*I went on a Chicago ghost tour once and it was AMAZING. The tour guide was Ursula Bielski's husband; Ursula is a well-known Chicago author who has written several interesting books on local ghostly legends. Our tour was fantastic and full of fascinating historical information, although sadly we didn't go past Resurrection Cemetery. We did, however, stop at an intersection in Chicago where there had been a real automobile accident in the 1930s, and the young woman killed is buried in Resurrection Cemetery, so our guide touched-on the story quite a bit and gave us a potential candidate for the haunting. Very, very interesting!

**Random: the scariest place, I felt, on our tour was Hull House on the campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago, once supposedly home to the legendary "devil baby". We didn't go inside but honest to God that place had an evil vibe. I wouldn't go in there if you paid me!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRaaa
I grew up in the Chicago 'burbs and have been looking for Resurrection Mary on two occasions (aka driving past Resurrection Cemetery, lol.)

The books say that the bars were supposedly backed-into by a truck or something, but I don't know....looked pretty darn creepy to me!
**Random: the scariest place, I felt, on our tour was Hull House on the campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago, once supposedly home to the legendary "devil baby". We didn't go inside but honest to God that place had an evil vibe. I wouldn't go in there if you paid me!

I wasn't going to go into detail about the bars until someone else expressed interest, but the incredible thing about them was they were not just damaged--there were clear bare handprints in the melted metal, in which palm and finger ridges were plainly visible! Something a prankster would be hard-put to do. Yes, the cover story, after the bars were removed and replaced, was a truck backed into them, bending them, and a worker with an acetylene torch or some such device tried to straighten them using asbestos gloves. Gimme a break! It was implied that the powers that be merely covered up the evidence on the original bars, but I've heard a theory that the original bars were replaced with duplicates. A man was going to test with a magnet, whether there was a difference in the type of metal used in other bars in the gate and the two bent ones, showing they were replaced with different material. Regardless of material used, I tend to hope/believe this theory--the REAL bars are locked up in some secret vault--but, they had to replace them with similar bars bent in the same places, or everyone would KNOW the ones there now were really replacements, and clamor to see the originals!

Regarding Hull House, I would have liked to see it even before reading about the haunting phenomena, as I'd read several stories and books about Jane Addams's work. I also saw the place featured, though, on Most Terrifying Places in America, which featured Resurrection Cemetery and other Chicago sites, all very interesting.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Here are some pictures from the UM wikia and findagrave.

-
-

Please sign the petition to get Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix/Hulu http://www.thepetitionsite.com/733/9...flix-and-hulu/
Old 11-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
SheRaaa
Forum Regular

Here is an interesting link regarding the young woman killed in the 1934 downtown Chicago auto accident (the spot where we stopped on our ghost tour):

http://www.prairieghosts.com/whomary.html

A very thorough link w/ photos of the bars and a newspaper clipping:

http://www.ghostresearch.org/sites/resurrection.html
Old 12-17-2014, 04:24 AM   #15
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

If anyone is able to find information on the hitchhiking ghost in the Ramapo region of New York or any others, please share! From what I have found it's unclear as to how many may have witnessed the Ramapo apparition or when it was last seen.

Here is one in Maine with very similar characteristics--the exact same figure seen under the same atmospheric conditions in the same place by many witnesses over the years. The traveling salesman tale is questionable as presumably he died before being able to tell what he saw--but plenty of others lived and related various encounters! http://seeksghosts.blogspot.com/2014...ll-legend.html

Very similar stories from rural Pennsylvania: http://www.pennsylvania-mountains-of...dyofwopsy.html

Related reports from England: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidston...st-film-25048/

Investigators conducting a vigil at the site were disappointed: http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/Bluebell.html

Many others from various locations. Here are some from Australia: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...bbe132c9e865de

Last edited by Cori aka ChrisSCrush : 12-17-2014 at 04:47 AM.