Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-14-2014, 11:14 PM   #61
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

I saw the Chuck Connors ep!!! I liked it!!! Talk about tall!!! He is really tall!!!! Very funny when Lucy and Harry were trying to get him back in the bed!

And Lucy, Mary Jane and even Harry being star struck and interrupting the filming!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:57 AM   #62
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
I saw the Chuck Connors ep!!! I liked it!!! Talk about tall!!! He is really tall!!!! Very funny when Lucy and Harry were trying to get him back in the bed!

And Lucy, Mary Jane and even Harry being star struck and interrupting the filming!

Those were funny bits. I also like the disappearing apple pies, and Harry's reactions to Lucy's repeated phone calls. And yes, Chuck Connors was tall. It's hard to imagine he'd be 93 years old if he were still around.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #63
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Those were funny bits. I also like the disappearing apple pies, and Harry's reactions to Lucy's repeated phone calls. And yes, Chuck Connors was tall. It's hard to imagine he'd be 93 years old if he were still around.

that was funny when Lucy called Harry and franticly said "Chuck Connors is in my bed! And Harry said " And your upset about that" ?

I googled Chuck , he was 6'6' tall ! During his army career he "moonlighted " as a pro basketball player , in 1946 joining the newly formed Boston Celtics. He also played baseball for the Brooklyn Dodgers and Chicago Cubs How interesting!! My dad told me that back in the day, lots of athletes had regular jobs and played the sport on the side. Wow , can you imagine. They surely didn't make the kind of money they do now!!!

Old 11-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #64
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
that was funny when Lucy called Harry and franticly said "Chuck Connors is in my bed! And Harry said " And your upset about that" ?

Re: Chuck Connors, he seemed like a strong guy, so it makes sense that he was an actual athlete before he became an actor. Yes, times have changed. Back in those days, people could go to a football game without spending a week's salary.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #65
LittleRickyII

Monday, November 17 - Friday, November 21:

Okay, get ready because there’s lots of fun in store for the week ahead on Here’s Lucy, with something special to look forward to every day! There’s really not a single clunker in this bunch, with the possible exception of “Lucy, the Sheriff” on Monday, which gets mixed reviews from fans. I’m not personally too crazy about this one, but for those who like it, it's because of the memorable supporting cast, including Ross Elliott, who is perhaps best known as Lucy Ricardo’s Vitameatavegamin director; Florence Halop, most famous for Night Court, but years earlier played one of the gossipy women on Lucy Ricardo’s party line in the “Redecorating” episode of I Love Lucy; and the great Mary (Sister Act) Wickes, Lucille Ball’s best friend and frequent Lucy guest star, most famously on I Love Lucy as Madame Lamond, Lucy’s strict ballet instructor. These character actors are sort of bookends to Lucille Ball’s CBS sitcom career, appearing in some of the early episodes of I Love Lucy, and still around near for the end of Here’s Lucy during Lucille Ball’s 23rd television season.

This week is the week that we see Here’s Lucy wind down to its final episode, which airs at 4:30 PM on Thursday. This means, of course, that on Friday we return to the very beginning of the series. So, with that, on to my recommendations of the most special episodes to look out for this week.

MONDAY, November 17: 4:00: “Lucy is N.G. as an R.N.”: This episode, written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., is a fan favorite. It’s your classic case of misunderstanding and confusion as Lucy is left to look after Harry, Mary Jane, Kim and Kim’s cat, who are all suffering some sort of ailment or physical abnormality. Lucy is the only healthy one in the bunch, so she has to care for the rest.

TUESDAY, November 18: 4:30: “Mary Jane’s Boyfriend”: Written by Fred S. Fox and Seaman Jacobs, this is the only episode in the series with a plot revolving around Mary Jane. It’s finally her moment to shine and she sure does. She’s very cute and funny in this episode.

WEDNESDAY, November 19: 4:00: “Lucy Carter Meets Lucille Ball”: Lucy Carter met many celebrities throughout the course of this series, but finally she meets the most special one of all: Lucille Ball! The plot of this episode has Kim entering a Lucille Ball lookalike contest because so many of her friends have told her that she looks like Lucille Ball. (Actually, she looks a whole lot more like Desi Arnaz!) Ultimately, Lucy Carter winds up entering the contest as well.

While a first for a Lucy show, this isn’t exactly a unique plot device. Three years earlier, Doris Martin met Doris Day on The Doris Day Show. Many years before that, back in the ’50s, Ed Norton met Jackie Gleason, and Ralph and Jackie met off camera. Then again, in 1967, Ralph Kramden would again come face to face with Jackie Gleason: http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6763,7830965
And three years after this Here’s Lucy episode, Fred Sanford would meet Redd Foxx on Sanford and Son. So while, the concept was not new or unique, it was new to Lucy.

This episode, which was first broadcast on Monday, March 4, 1974, was written by Bob O’Brien and was devised as a subtle promotion of Lucille Ball’s new film, Mame, which premiered three days later in New York City, on March 7, 1974, and was released nationwide three weeks after that, on March 27, 1974. Lucille Ball appears in this episode as a brunette, as she does throughout much of Mame. At a couple points in the episode, you’ll hear a few notes of the Mame theme song, and if you look closely, and you’ll see Mame-related pictures scattered throughout Lucille Ball’s fictional dressing room. Here’s a little announcement about this episode that appeared in newspapers at the time.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7198,3845330

THURSDAY, November 20: the full hour. If you tune into Here’s Lucy only once this week, it should be on this day. Two special episodes air, making a special full hour. The first, at 4:00, is “Where is My Wandering Mother Tonight?” This is the final episode written for this series by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr. and it’s a winner. Davis and Carroll’s association with Lucille Ball dates back to the very beginning of her 1948-1951 My Favorite Husband radio series. They arrived even before Jess Oppenheimer. After My Favorite Husband, they were on hand for every single episode of I Love Lucy (1951-1957), wrote or oversaw scripts for all of the Lucy-Desi hours (1957-60), were around for the first two seasons of The Lucy Show, and contributed a third of the scripts produced during the final three seasons of Here’s Lucy. And, of course, they were responsible for writing the most famous, and highest-rated episode of this series, “Lucy Meets the Burtons,” which won the rating race back in the 1970 season premiere week. In the future, they would go on to write one of Lucille Ball’s TV specials, write and produce Life with Lucy, and become longtime producers of the television series, Alice, as well as Private Benjamin. In this outing, Lucy goes to spend a weekend with daughter Kim in Kim’s apartment, but it quickly becomes too close for comfort. Lucille Ball does her last physical comedy bit of the series in this charming and funny episode.

The second episode of the hour, at 4:30, is “Lucy Fights the System.” This is the final episode of the series, originally broadcast on March 18, 1974. Written by Bob O’Brien, this episode sends the series out with a bang. This half hour is just plain hilarious! Ironically, the hilarity has very little to do with Lucille Ball and everything to do with Lucie Arnaz. This is probably Ms. Arnaz’s best performance of the series as she takes on the role of a rude, air-headed waitress. This performance, along with a couple others from this season – her Cher impersonation in “The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon,” and her old lady bit in “Meanwhile, Back at the Office” – leave me convinced that Lucie Arnaz could have done really well in sketch comedy, perhaps on a show like The Carol Burnett Show or Saturday Night Live. Nevertheless, she chose to pursue a career in musical theater and cabaret singing instead. As she’s also a fine vocalist, that’s okay.

For this finale, it feels like Lucille Ball was handing the torch to her co-stars. Lucy is there, but the spotlight is placed firmly on Lucie Arnaz who takes center stage. And the last line and laugh of the episode (and thus, of the series) is given to Gale Gordon (“I knew it would end like this!”). Despite the unusual lack of emphasis on Lucy this time around, this episode is still a winner.

The decision to end Here’s Lucy was big news in 1974, and there was a lot of press attention devoted to the story. Here are a few examples:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3681,2968009
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2350,5426014
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6242,5992682
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6121,1855428

FRIDAY, November 21: 4:00: “Mod, Mod Lucy”: It’s back to the very beginning of Here’s Lucy and the very first episode, which introduced Lucie Arnaz and Desi Arnaz, Jr. as their mother’s co-stars. There are many funny moments throughout the episode, particularly the scene in the office licking envelopes, and engaging Kim in a game of charades when Kim loses her voice to laryngitis.

Just as there was a lot of press attention when Lucille Ball ended the series, there was also plenty of press attention when it began, particularly given the fact that she was bringing her children onto the show as co-stars. In this previous thread, I posted links to various articles written at the time about the “new” Here’s Lucy series.
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=327053

So make sure you tune in this week. Lots of fun and laughter await you.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #66
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

I saw Monday's ep with Lucy being the nurse! First thing that grabbed my attention was Harry the cat who was a female cat about to have kittens! I love cats and she was a very unique calico cat!! I liked all the confusion between the human Harry and the cat Harry and when the doctor and the vet came to the house. Lucy feeding human Harry cat food!!! LOL!!! And poor Mary Jane and Lucie, and Lucy too, she really had her hands full. It was a fun, cute ep. Only thing I wish they had showed Harrry's kittens in the end when they were born!

I didn't get to see the second ep. at 4:30, it was on and I listened to it, but I really needed to get up and do some things!!! For the good part of the day I was being a "Peg Bundy" on the sofa watching TV!!! I had to get up and cook, vacuum and straighten up the house!!!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #67
LittleRickyII

bonniegirl62, you didn't miss anything with the second episode yesterday. Like I said in my comment, it's only interesting for the character actors. I'm glad you got to see the other one, though. Yes, very funny. But Cozi annoyed me again by cutting out part of the bit where Harry was relaying Mary's Jane's tea and cookie's request to Lucy. There was a piece at the very end that they cut out. It was like cutting out the punch line to a joke. Stupid, stupid editing! I think their editors must be drunk on the job.

Both of today's episodes are good -- "Milton Berle is the Life of the Party" and "Mary Jane's Boyfriend" -- more so the second one. The one you really don't want to miss is the series finale on Thursday.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #68
LittleRickyII

Just a reminder that today (Thursday) Cozi is scheduled to air the hilarious series finale (see my November 16 post above).
Old 11-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #69
LittleRickyII

Wow! I just saw "Where Is My Wandering Mother Tonight?" and Cozi made so many cuts they destroyed it. Not only did they cut out some of the funniest bits, but they also cut out key dialogue that created big holes in the plot so the storyline didn't make sense. Why show it at all if you're going to ruin it?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #70
LittleRickyII

Monday, November 24 - Friday, November 28:

MONDAY, November 24: 4:00: "Lucy's Working Daughter": Both charming and funny, this is an episode anyone can relate to. Kim gets her first job and her worried Mom tries to help out without her knowing.

TUESDAY, November 25: 4:30: "Lucy Visits Jack Benny": I am including this episode only because of a moment near the end that TV Guide and TV Land included on their list of "The 100 Most Unexpected TV Moments" in history.

Note the on Friday, there will be a Starsky and Hutch tribute followed by a Christmas marathon, so Here's Lucy will not air.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #71
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Then on Tuesday, a big huge warning! I advise anyone against watching the first half hour. This episode guest stars Tennessee Ernie Ford. It's yet another musical episode and, in my opinion, the worst episode of the entire series. The plot is something about Tennessee Ernie -- who, for some bizarre reason, has a farm outside of L.A. -- seeking help from the Carter family in advertise his farm as a weekend getaway for stressed-out people in L.A. Most of the episode plays like a 20-minute commercial for his "fun farm." About 10 minutes of it has the Carters pretending to be an irritable city family that spends all their time yelling at one another. And literally, it's nothing but them yelling and screaming at one another as if that alone is supposed to be funny. There's nothing clever about the dialogue, it's just constant yelling that will really grate on your nerves. The last part has them going to Tennessee Ernie's fun farm, where the barn has magically polished floors and all the locals turn out for a ho-down and come out and sing and dance like professionals. This is the one episode I find simply unwatchable.

I recently got the complete series DVD and watched this episode, I didn't think it was so bad. It did seem kind of pointless though. True, it's mostly a musical episode. The funny stuff takes place at the beginning, then the rest of the episode plays out like a long musical commercial advertising Tennessee Ernie's fun farm. Did he really have a "fun farm", or was it something that was just made up for this episode?

I thought the episode was OK, something different, certainly watchable, but nothing outstanding or special. It seems that more so with Here's Lucy compared to The Lucy Show, every so often a musical themed episode would be tossed into the mix. As Lucy was getting older, perhaps she wanted to have a little fun and include a music themed episode on occasion.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #72
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
I recently got the complete series DVD and watched this episode, I didn't think it was so bad. It did seem kind of pointless though. True, it's mostly a musical episode. The funny stuff takes place at the beginning, then the rest of the episode plays out like a long musical commercial advertising Tennessee Ernie's fun farm. Did he really have a "fun farm", or was it something that was just made up for this episode?

I thought the episode was OK, something different, certainly watchable, but nothing outstanding or special. It seems that more so with Here's Lucy compared to The Lucy Show, every so often a musical themed episode would be tossed into the mix. As Lucy was getting older, perhaps she wanted to have a little fun and include a music themed episode on occasion.

I don't mind a musical episode as long as there's logical plot development. "The Operetta" episode from I Love Lucy was a musical episode, but it was also hilarious because it actually looked like a musical that Lucy and Ethel would put together with their limited budget, and Lucy's lack of talent -- both in singing and in writing lyrics. But with this Tennessee Ernie episode, that sort of credibility was completely lost. The musical portion of the episode seems completely polished, even though it was supposed to have been put together by the Carters and the people working at this so-called fun farm, who have no experience doing musicals. Even the barn floor is a shiny concrete stage. Once the believability of the situation is lost, so am I. But that's not even the worst of it. What mostly makes it intolerable to me is that long scene where Lucy and her family are all yelling at one another. None of it is funny, and I find it so irritating I have to turn it off.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #73
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
I don't mind a musical episode as long as there's logical plot development. "The Operetta" episode from I Love Lucy was a musical episode, but it was also hilarious because it actually looked like a musical that Lucy and Ethel would put together with their limited budget, and Lucy's lack of talent -- both in singing and in writing lyrics. But with this Tennessee Ernie episode, that sort of credibility was completely lost. The musical portion of the episode seems completely polished, even though it was supposed to have been put together by the Carters and the people working at this so-called fun farm, who have no experience doing musicals. Even the barn floor is a shiny concrete stage. Once the believability of the situation is lost, so am I. But that's not even the worst of it. What mostly makes it intolerable to me is that long scene where Lucy and her family are all yelling at one another. None of it is funny, and I find it so irritating I have to turn it off.

I'd have to check the DVD, but I think the scene where they're yelling at each other is about 2 to 3 minutes long or so. It doesn't really bother me, I've seen worse yelling than that.

Maybe the reason for the musical part looking so polished is because it was supposed to advertise and promote Tennessee Ernie's "fun farm". If it didn't look polished or professional, it wouldn't be good for business.

Here's Lucy does seem to incorporate music occasionally in the episodes. In the debut episode of the series, Mod Mod Lucy, the last 5 minutes is a musical scene.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #74
dakert

I loved Lucy and Ann Margaret. it was like a big musical extravaganza
Old 11-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #75
LittleRickyII

Quote:
I'd have to check the DVD, but I think the scene where they're yelling at each other is about 2 to 3 minutes long or so. It doesn't really bother me, I've seen worse yelling than that.

Maybe it was only 2-3 minutes but it felt like forever. It was just not entertaining.

Quote:
Maybe the reason for the musical part looking so polished is because it was supposed to advertise and promote Tennessee Ernie's "fun farm". If it didn't look polished or professional, it wouldn't be good for business.

But they were in a barn! Barns don't have shiny concrete floors.

Quote:
Here's Lucy does seem to incorporate music occasionally in the episodes. In the debut episode of the series, Mod Mod Lucy, the last 5 minutes is a musical scene.

The first episode musical scene is a little hokey in a couple places but doesn't bother me too much. Overall, that was a pretty solid episode IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakert
I loved Lucy and Ann Margaret. it was like a big musical extravaganza

And that musical scene looked polished as well, but it made sense that it would because this was supposed to be a national televised Ann-Margret special.
Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM/8:00 PM Central on CBS