Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #46
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
Yes I did get to watch the Joe Namath ep. I was wondering why the second ep was one that was already shown from a past season? It was the one about Bogie the sheep dog and her pups. I liked that ep. but still wondering why they were showing it instead of a season 5 ep?

It was cool seeing "Broadway Joe" and Desi Jr. again. I liked when Joe came to the house and Kim's reaction. Normal excited girl if a good looking pro football player was visiting. Unlike on the Brady Bunch, Marcia and Jan were so nonchalant when Joe Namath was there! Like it's everyday a pro football player comes to your house! I guess because the ep was focusing on Bobby, they didn't have the girls make a fuss over him so much!

Back to Lucy, I was glad that Craig still did good even with Joe criticizing him per Lucy's request. He realized on his own that tennis was really his game. Better than being discouraged. Kim's long granny dress was pretty, and those dresses were very in style back than. But I know if I were her, I'd be wearing a mini skirt to meet Joe Namath. He totally seems like the kind of guy that would like to see a girl in a mini skirt. But than Lucy would have more to worry about , she had enough with her son wanting to play football to not have to worry about her daughter looking too sexy too!

I liked Dirty Gertie too. Lucille Ball really can play a bag lady roll well. Did you see The Stone Pillow? Wow she was really good in that! OMG when it really was gin she was drinking , that was really funny!

Good, I'm glad to know the didn't preempt Dirty Gertie, too, but I'm bugged about the others that Cozi did skip. Personally, I'm not so fond of the Bogie episode. That script was for the dogs (pun intended). And I do love dogs, I just think the whole business with Jack LaLanne made no sense. The Petula Clark episode they skipped over was better. The episode they ran instead of the Donny Osmond episode was the Chinese Laundry episode. At least that one was funny, but the Osmond show was worth seeing. I'm glad you enjoyed the Joe Namath episode. I just thing the script is rather dull. Nothing funny happens. But you're probably correct that it's a little more realistic than the Brady Bunch Joe Namath episode. I do remember those "granny" dresses. LOL! My sister used to wear them.

As for Stone Pillow, yes, I've seen it and I think Lucille Ball should have AT LEAST been nominated for an Emmy for her performance. The script itself was not too solid, nor was Daphne Zuniga's character, but Ball really gave a very convincing and compelling portrayal.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #47
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Last week Rudy Vallee guest starred on Chips! It was the most boring Chips ep in history!! Wondering if he was difficult on the set there like he was on the set of Lucy! It's decided , I'm definitely not a Rudy Vallee fan!

Frankie Valli yes!!! Rudy Vallee No!!! LOL!!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #48
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Last week Rudy Vallee guest starred on Chips! It was the most boring Chips ep in history!! Wondering if he was difficult on the set there like he was on the set of Lucy! It's decided , I'm definitely not a Rudy Vallee fan!

Frankie Valli yes!!! Rudy Vallee No!!! LOL!!

Ah, and speaking of Frankie Valli, I just got home from seeing Jersey Boys! It's my third time seeing that show. Just fantastic!
Old 10-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #49
LittleRickyII

Monday, October 27 - Friday, October 31:

Monday, October 27, 4:00: "The Not-So-Popular Mechanics": Cute little episode where Lucy finds out she shouldn't be in the business of repairing automobiles. This episode also gives (up to this point) an unusually large amount of screen time to Mary Jane Croft. People often mistakenly compare Mary Jane Croft to Vivian Vance as if Mary Jane was brought on the show as a replacement for Vivian Vance. But in fact, her role on both The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy was very different than that of Vivian Vance. Vivian Vance was Lucy's second banana. She was Oliver Hardy to Lucy's Stan Laurel. In a typical early episode of The Lucy Show, Lucy would get involved in some mess and almost always manage to bring Viv along for the ride (and the trouble). Mary Jane, however, usually was nothing but a plot device. She would show up in the beginning of the episode and help set up a plot wherein Lucy would go off alone (or with a guest star) and get into her usual trouble. Unlike Vivian, Mary Jane was not Lucy's co-conspirator, she was just a comic sounding board. So it's an apples and oranges comparison. There were, however, a couple exceptions over the years and this episode was one of those rare exceptions. This time Mary Jane gets pulled right into the middle of Lucy's scheming and the resulting mess. Her character, which early in the series had appeared only rarely, has by this point become almost a regular and will remain a prominent part of the show for the remainder of its run. The episode that follows guest stars female impersonator Jim Bailey, and has a few good laughs as well.

Tuesday, October 28, 4:30: "Lucy Is Really In a Pickle": I recommend this mainly for the scene where Lucy is at home rehearsing a commercial selling pickles. Written by I Love Lucy scribes, Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., the scene is reminiscent of the classic Vitameatavegamin scene.

Thursday, October 30, 4:30: "Lucy Goes on Her Last Blind Date": The ending of this episode is a bit over the top, but it's still fun. Lucy's blind date is none other than Don Knott's, who plays a character named Ben who is much like his later Ralph Furley character from Three's Company. Watch for the scene where Ben is explaining to Lucy how the males in his family are given their names. His dialogue here is very complicated and Mr. Knott's pulls it off flawlessly.

Friday, October 31, there will be no Here's Lucy as it's Halloween and Cozi will be running a marathon of episodes of One Step Beyond, a creepy show out of the same mold as The Twilight Zone. Both series ran around the same time, although One Step Beyond debuted a little over eight months ahead of The Twilight Zone. I haven't seen this series in years, but I liked it and hope to catch an episode or two.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #50
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Ah, and speaking of Frankie Valli, I just got home from seeing Jersey Boys! It's my third time seeing that show. Just fantastic!

Oh wow, you saw the play? I heard that was fantastic! I only saw the Jersey Boy's movie . I really liked it!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #51
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Oh wow, you saw the play? I heard that was fantastic! I only saw the Jersey Boy's movie . I really liked it!

I usually love Clint Eastwood's movies, but I've read that when he did the Jersey Boys movie, he wasn't faithful to the stage version and to the elements that made it such a hit, so I haven't made a point of seeing the movie. I'm just afraid I'll be disappointed. I've seen the stage version three times now and I'm eager to see it again. It's such a great story, funny and poignant at times. And then there's the music! All these hit songs rolled up into the show adding a feeling like you're at a live concert back nineteen sixty something, with all the excitement. People are dancing in their seats. It's so many things and everyone leaves show so completely satisfied and happy. The show is still playing on Broadway after almost ten years. It's still playing in London after eight years or so. It's been playing for years in Australia. There's a permanent show in Las Vegas. And there's also this touring company that's been playing constantly all over the U.S. for years. That's the one I've seen three times in two different cities.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #52
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

I'm watching some of the One Step beyond marathon . It's good! I never heard of this show before. It is like the Twilight Zone. I wonder why it wasn't shown more in reruns?

Old 11-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #53
LittleRickyII

Quote:
I'm watching some of the One Step beyond marathon . It's good! I never heard of this show before. It is like the Twilight Zone. I wonder why it wasn't shown more in reruns?

One Step Beyond is a bit before my time, although there was a television station in my area that aired reruns when I was a kid. So I am familiar with the show, and I enjoy it very much. I caught a few episodes yesterday. Yes, it's like The Twilight Zone; however, unlike The Twilight Zone, which is entirely fictional, the stories on One Step Beyond all deal with the paranormal and are based on accounts from real people. One of the episodes I watched yesterday was about a young woman in 1912 who was about to be married and kept having nightmares about being on a sinking ship. Then her husband-to-be surprised her with the news that they would be going on the maiden voyage of the Titanic for their honeymoon.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #54
LittleRickyII

Monday, November 3 - Friday, November 7:

Monday, November 3, 4:30: "Lucy and the Professor": Cute episode where Lucy gets some wires crossed and thinks Kim is dating a much MUCH older professor. A note about the episode that precedes this one, at 4:00: "Lucy and the Franchise Fiasco": This was a rewrite of a classic episode from the first season of The Lucy Show, "Lucy Is a Kangaroo for the Day." In this new version, the water cooler is replaced with a frozen custard machine, and the kangaroo suit is replaced with a penguin suit. Unfortunately, the episode completely falls flat. Logic is tossed aside and it just doesn't work this time. This, in my opinion, is the weakest episode of the season. Which is ironic because "Lucy Is a Kangaroo for a Day" is one of the very best episodes of The Lucy Show.

Tuesday, November 4, 4:00: "Lucy and Harry's Pot": Whereas "Lucy and the Franchise Fiasco" is a low point for the season, "Lucy and Harry's Pot" is a big bright spot. This episode, written by Bob O'Brien, one of Lucille Ball's best writers in this period, is both funny and touching, with some rare moments of warmth between Lucy and Harry. The episode that follows, "Lucy and Harry's Memoirs," is noteworthy mainly because it almost became the final episode of the series. Lucille Ball had some busy months ahead with her film Mame going into production and was preparing to call it quits on Here's Lucy. So this script was written as a proper conclusion to the series, with Harry having decided to sell the agency. Most of the episode is comprised of flashback clips from earlier in the series as Lucy and Harry reminisce about their adventures together. The episode ends on a rather ambiguous note, leaving the possibility that the series might return for another season which, of course, it did. Here's an announcement from October 30, 1972 that Lucille Ball would return for the 1973-74 season.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2962,5674701

This announcement was made nearly a year before the 1973-74 season began, which suggests this almost final episode was already in the can. Lucy usually started production for each season many months in advance of the actual fall season premiere. Presumably, the 1972-73 production schedule was begun even earlier than usual in order to accommodate the production of Mame, which began shooting in January. http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2503,4658903

Wednesday, November 5, 4:00: "Lucy Plays Cops and Robbers": This is the first episode produced for the sixth season. It's a pretty decent episode notable mostly because of a lineup of familiar character actors, including Mary Wickes, Al "Grandpa Munster" Lewis, Dick "Darrin #2" Sargent, and Gary Crosby (Bing's son, who later wrote a scathing tell-all about his father).

Thursday, November 6, 4:00: "The Big Game": I wish it were possible to digitally replace a guest star because this is a pretty good episode, but unfortunately, the guest star is none other than O.J. Simpson. When the old Pax TV network ran Here's Lucy in the late '90s, they skipped over this episode, running every episode in the series except this one. They obviously did not want to upset viewers by running an episode featuring the infamous O.J. This marks the first time this episode has been aired nationally since the 1977 reruns on CBS.

One final note: The Friday, 4:30 episode, "Lucy and Danny Thomas," is one you might want to pass on. Laughs are few.

Last edited by LittleRickyII : 11-09-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:16 AM   #55
ILuvCarolBurnett
Forum Regular

YES!!! It was hysterical!! It was one long continuous laugh basically. It was like watching Laurel & Hardy.

Lucy is a Fixer Upper I mean.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #56
LittleRickyII

Monday, November 10 - Friday, November 14:

Monday, November 10, 4:00: "Lucy's Tenant": Former child actor, Jackie Coogan -- better known to baby boomers as Uncle Fester on The Addams Family -- made three guest appearances over the years with Lucille Ball, and always with a good result; they had great chemistry together. This episode, written by Bob O'Brien, is no exception. With Craig away in college, and Kim now living in her own apartment, Lucy decides to rent out a room in her house. She didn't plan on having an incredibly obnoxious tenant!

Tuesday, November 11, 4:30: "Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty": As the title indicates, Joan Rivers is the guest star, although she's not playing herself. This episode, in which Lucy performs one of her funny charades scenes, has Lucy and Joan at odds with one another as fellow jurists.

Wednesday, November 12, 4:30: "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon": This is not a particularly great episode, I'm just pointing it out because it represents a pop-cultural touchstone at the time, with Lucie Arnaz and Frankie Avalon doing a very good take-off on Sonny and Cher, whose CBS program at the time was a huge ratings hit. They filed for divorce just months after this aired. To help Lucie prepare for her Cher imitation, Cher allowed Lucie to spend a day following her around on the set of her own show.

Friday, November 14, 4:00: "Lucy and Chuck Connors Have a Surprise Slumber Party": This is a very funny Madelyn Davis/Bob Carroll, Jr. script about Harry renting out Lucy's living room to a movie producer, forcing Lucy out of her home for the time being. This episode includes a scene with Lucille Ball performing some wonderful physical comedy. And a note about the episode that follows, "Meanwhile, Back at the Office": Season five of the series had concluded with Harry selling the office and Lucy putting up a sign that said "Temporarily Out of Business." But the sixth season opened with everything back to normal and Lucy and Harry still working at the agency. There was no explanation as to how Harry wound up back in business again. This episode is the only time in the sixth season that even alludes to Harry having sold the agency previously. It's just a line where Lucy tells Kim that Harry has sold the agency "again."
Old 11-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #57
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

I watched Here's Lucy yesterday! The Jackie Coogan ep was really funny. I liked Harry's little dance , and I always get a kick out of bald men when they put on a cheap , obvious toupee. That was popular on sitcoms back in the day. And the next ep with Eddie Albert was enjoyable too. Loved the song and dance number he and Lucy did, and it was very cool seeing Eddie in a roll other than Oliver Douglas on Green Acres!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #58
LittleRickyII

Quote:
I watched Here's Lucy yesterday! The Jackie Coogan ep was really funny. I liked Harry's little dance , and I always get a kick out of bald men when they put on a cheap , obvious toupee. That was popular on sitcoms back in the day. And the next ep with Eddie Albert was enjoyable too. Loved the song and dance number he and Lucy did, and it was very cool seeing Eddie in a roll other than Oliver Douglas on Green Acres!

I'm glad you got to see that one. Jackie Coogan was a funny guy. I hope you get to see the Chuck Connors episode on Friday. That's a really fun one.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #59
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
I'm glad you got to see that one. Jackie Coogan was a funny guy. I hope you get to see the Chuck Connors episode on Friday. That's a really fun one.

I will!! I'll make a point of it!!! As I posted on another thread, I have a friend who likes the Rifleman on METV , the show Chuck Connors starred in. She's retired and a fan of the old shows too, but not as much as I am!! ! She likes new stuff too. We joke, she says OK exactly who is the older one here? I will tell her about Chuck being on Here's Lucy tomorrow!

Also as I posted before, I was recently laid off from work (it's cool) But I have more time now!!!

I saw the Joan Rivers ep , the Jury duty . Very funny! Lucy and Joan were funny together. I loved the charades because they couldn't discuss the case. Wow, I didn't realize Joan Rivers was so tiny!!! Lucy is tall, but even around the other women Joan looked so tiny and petite!! And brings back memories when I was a kid! Seeing Joan Rivers when she was younger and becoming popular! My mom really liked Joan Rivers!!

And I saw the Frankie Avalon ep. I didn't know he was so good at impersonations!!! Good ep. He and Lucie really did a good Sonny and Cher!!!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #60
LittleRickyII

Quote:
I will!! I'll make a point of it!!! As I posted on another thread, I have a friend who likes the Rifleman on METV , the show Chuck Connors starred in. She's retired and a fan of the old shows too, but not as much as I am!! ! She likes new stuff too. We joke, she says OK exactly who is the older one here? I will tell her about Chuck being on Here's Lucy tomorrow!

Also as I posted before, I was recently laid off from work (it's cool) But I have more time now!!!

I saw the Joan Rivers ep , the Jury duty . Very funny! Lucy and Joan were funny together. I loved the charades because they couldn't discuss the case. Wow, I didn't realize Joan Rivers was so tiny!!! Lucy is tall, but even around the other women Joan looked so tiny and petite!! And brings back memories when I was a kid! Seeing Joan Rivers when she was younger and becoming popular! My mom really liked Joan Rivers!!

And I saw the Frankie Avalon ep. I didn't know he was so good at impersonations!!! Good ep. He and Lucie really did a good Sonny and Cher!!!

I'm glad you're able to see the show but, oh no, I'm so sorry about the layoff. I've been in that position a couple times, so I know how it feels. I got past it (twice) and so will you. I'm sending positive energy your way.

The Rifleman is before my time, although I've seen reruns. But I first heard of Chuck Connors back in the '70s on a show he hosted called Thrill Seekers. It was sort of a reality show about people doing all kinds of wild and dangerous stunts.

Yes, Joan Rivers was small, but Lucille Ball was also rather tall. Her daughter is even taller. I met her a couple times and have a picture with her. I'm 5'8" and she towered over me.