Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
I'm not much of a fan of that Rudy episode, and it was apparently a very bad experience for Ms. Ball, who found him very vulgar and offensive, swearing constantly. It's interesting that she didn't seem to have that reaction years before when he guested on the "Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana" episode. But maybe the fact that, this time, her kids were present made it more of an issue. Or maybe he just behaved better the first time. The other episode, I haven't seen in awhile, so I don't remember what the motivation was for her to be pregnant or if there was one; I'll have to check the DVD sometime. It's very likely, though, that there was some explanation and Cozi cut it out. They're really good at cutting out key scenes and dialogue!

Wow!! I didn't know Rudy Vallee was such a jerk! I don't really know too much about him? Way before my time, I think he was before my parents time even. They were teenagers and in their 20's in the 1940's and 50's ! I know they were really big into swing music , like Glen Miller and the big band era music. Which was very cool. I enjoy that kind of music! Rudy's music just seemed really old and boring. I never heard my folks speak of him!

And to be a guest star on somebodies show and start cussing and being a jerk. That isn't cool. I thought something was amiss , besides a boring ep. Lucy did seem like she wasn't her usual fun self! She seemed a little upset!

Yes the time Rudy guest starred on the Lucy-Desi comedy hour her husband was there, so he had to stay cool, Desi might have socked him if he acted disrespectful around his wife! Or maybe they did just let it go, cause like you said, no children around. Than this time for him to be cussing around Lucie (a teenage girl) shame on him!!! Desi Jr. wasn't in this ep at all.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #32
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
Wow!! I didn't know Rudy Vallee was such a jerk! I don't really know too much about him? Way before my time, I think he was before my parents time even. They were teenagers and in their 20's in the 1940's and 50's ! I know they were really big into swing music , like Glen Miller and the big band era music. Which was very cool. I enjoy that kind of music! Rudy's music just seemed really old and boring. I never heard my folks speak of him!

And to be a guest star on somebodies show and start cussing and being a jerk. That isn't cool. I thought something was amiss , besides a boring ep. Lucy did seem like she wasn't her usual fun self! She seemed a little upset!
(

Well I never noticed Lucy being upset. She was the consummate professional and I can't imagine she would ever allow her personal feelings to seep into her performance. She and Desi were at odds and often fighting throughout most of the I Love Lucy years, but she would never let that show onscreen. Instead, she rose above it and only left on film, for posterity, some of the greatest examples ever of comedic timing and the art of physical comedy.

But yes, Rudy Vallee goes way back, I'm sure long before your parents' time. In this Here's Lucy episode he was 40 years past his prime. He was an elderly man at this point. But he was the original teen idol, one of the first crooners, bursting onto the scene in the 1920s, pre-dating Bing Crosby by several years. Here he is in 1929 (at age 28) when he was at his peak; first video is a recording of his hit "I'm Just a Vagabond Lover," second is video from one of his first movies from that same year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD5kRwI_XNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiqclXgAFBQ

Last edited by LittleRickyII : 09-27-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #33
LittleRickyII

Looking to the week ahead: Monday, September 29 - Friday, Oct 3:

Monday, September 29, 4:00: "Lucy's Vacation": This episode has one of my favorite sight gags, and a plot that can't help but have funny results: Lucy finds that the only way Harry will let her take time off for a vacation with Kim is if he fires her. Knowing that he'll feel guilty and hire her back, she sets out to annoy him so much she'll get fired. Meanwhile, Harry's psychologist has told Harry that his problems with Lucy are because of his temper and has advised him not to lose cool with Lucy no matter what she does. Consequently, Lucy has to keep upping the ante to get Harry to blow his top and fire her.

Tuesday, September 30, 4:30: "Lucy and the Raffle": Lucy winds up in court in this episode and, if it's not butchered by Cozi, there is a very hilarious courtroom scene. Lucille Ball and Gale Gordon are in fine form.

Wednesday, October 1, 4:00: "Lucy and Mannix are Held Hostage": This is a crossover episode with Mike Connors guest-starring as Joe Mannix, the character he played at the time in his popular series, Mannix. This episode also ushers in the fourth season and marks the return of I Love Lucy/Lucy Show writers Bob Carroll, Jr. and Madelyn Davis as permanent writers for this series. From this point on, they would be responsible for 8 of the 24 episodes produced each of the three remaining seasons. Bob O'Brien was responsible for another 8 of each season's episodes, and various other writers shared responsibility for the remaining eight.

WARNING: The episode that follows this, "Lucy and Candid Camera," is one you might want to avoid. It's a shame. Candid Camera is one of the funniest shows of all time and the idea of involving Lucy in a Candid Camera plot along with Candid Camera host, Alan Funt, would seem perfect, but not so. Lucille Ball should not have paid her writers for this script!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #34
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Today I saw Lucy and the astronauts quarantined!! I thought it was funny, I liked when they all sang "Shine on Harvest moon"! Than the second ep with the nuns in the band. Kind of silly , but I found it entertaining!

I'm missing Desi Jr. But I have another crush replacement , Eric Estrada (Ponch from Chips ) On METV at 6!!!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #35
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Today I saw Lucy and the astronauts quarantined!! I thought it was funny, I liked when they all sang "Shine on Harvest moon"! Than the second ep with the nuns in the band. Kind of silly , but I found it entertaining!

I'm missing Desi Jr. But I have another crush replacement , Eric Estrada (Ponch from Chips ) On METV at 6!!!

I like the astronauts episode, too. My only complaint with it, though, is that they sing a few too many verses of Shine on Harvest Moon. I didn't see it on Cozi today, but knowing them they probably cut a lot of it out, which is fine in this case.

Re: "Lucy's All-Nun Band," I do get a little bit of the giggles during the scene when Freddie Martin is trying to teach her how to play the saxophone.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 AM   #36
LittleRickyII

Looking to the week ahead: Monday, October 6 - Friday, October 10:

I will make the point that the fourth season is my least favorite; however, there are still some fun episodes to look out for, and others with special moments.

Monday, October 6, 4:00: "Someone's on the Ski Life with Dinah": This is one of the fun ones. It's not big belly laughs comedy, but it's still fun with some funny moments here and there. The very likeable and cheery Dinah Shore is the guest star in a Bob Carroll, Jr. and Madelyn Davis script. Unfortunately, the episode that follows with Tony Randall is kind of a dog.

Tuesday, October 7, 4:00: "Lucy and Flip Go Legit": Flip Wilson was television's biggest new star in 1971 and he appeared in this episode, which was the episode used to premiere the fourth season. This episode, also written by Bob Carroll, Jr. and Madelyn Davis, features a funny take-off on "Gone with the Wind," with Flip playing Prissy. It's not as memorable as the spoof done several years later on The Carol Burnett Show, but is still funny, mostly because of Mr. Wilson.

Wednesday, October 8, 4:30: "Ginger Rogers Comes to Tea": This episode is noteworthy for a couple reasons. First, the backdrop: it had to be rushed into production because of a strike that was about to take place. Rehearsals and filming were all completed within a day or two, rather than the usual four days, and without benefit of the filming in front of a live audience, as was the normal routine for this series. Second, the appearance of guest star Ginger Rogers, who had been friends with Lucy Ball since the mid '30s when Ginger was a rising star, and Lucy a virtually unknown starlet who was mentored by Ginger's mother, Lela Rogers. The best scene, perhaps, is the Charleston number Ginger performs with Lucy and Lucie Arnaz.

This season was probably the most heavy with big name guest stars. Sometimes that turned out well, sometimes it didn't, such as the Tony Randall episode airing on Monday. But one of the true low points in the entire series is the second episode airing on Friday, which has no big name guests: "Lucy In the Jungle." This one is NOT recommended!
Old 10-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #37
LittleRickyII

Monday, October 13 - Friday, October 17:

Wednesday, October 15, 4:30: "With Viv As a Friend, Who Needs an Enemy?": In this episode, written by Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr., Vivian Vance returns for her final guest appearance on the series.

Thursday, October 16, 4:00: "Lucy's Punctured Romance": A rather dreary fourth season concludes with the two episodes on Thursday, but on a bit of a high note with this entry. Bob Cummings guest stars as Bob Collins, presumably same the character he played in his own series years before who had the same name. Bob is Lucy's new love interest and Kim and Harry scheme to put an end to the romance. While hardly one of Ball's best shows ever, it is perhaps the funniest of the fourth season. I remember, when I was in college, coming across a book in the library on script writing. There was a section on sitcoms and this episode was used as the example. It's pretty funny, although the bit at the end with Mary Jane in a chicken costume is pretty silly. If Cozi is wise about their usual deep cuts, they'll cut out this part. It's an unnecessary extension to the episode that adds nothing to the plot and almost ruins all the fun that precedes it.

Note the episode that follows, "Kim Finally Cuts You-Know-Who's Apron Strings," the final episode of the fourth season, was a rather dismal backdoor pilot for Lucie Arnaz. CBS failed to give it the green light as a series. It's pretty clear why.

Here's a small piece that appeared in newspapers at the time the episode aired. Scroll down to the sixth paragraph in the "Legendary Showdown" column. This writer was being very generous in her comments. http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6917,4349844

Friday, October 17: The fifth season opens with the two episodes airing on Friday: "Lucy and Eva Gabor Are Hospital Roomies" at 4:00 and "Lucy's Big Break" at 4:30, which are the first to chronicle Lucy's broken leg situation due to a skiing accident. Note that these episodes are in reverse order; "Lucy's Big Break" should be shown first. Cozi is apparently airing them in production order rather than intended order.

These two episodes were inspired by a real-life health situation involving the show's star that mirrored a situation 20 years earlier on I Love Lucy: In 1952, when Lucille Ball became pregnant, it was initially thought that production on I Love Lucy would have to be suspended. Then the idea came up to write the pregnancy into the series and a story arc was created around that circumstance. On Here's Lucy, Lucille Ball suffered a broken leg after a serious skiing accident. There was thought to closing down production on Here's Lucy, but ultimately it was decided to incorporate the broken leg ordeal into the series. Several episodes towards the beginning of the season dealt with the situation where Lucy Carter, like Lucille Ball, had broken her leg in a skiing accident. For much of the season, Lucille Ball appears in a wheelchair or some sort of cast or strong boots.

Here are some news items from 1972 on the skiing accident and Lucille Ball's return to Here's Lucy in spite of the broken leg:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5645,1136222

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3398,3895603

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=2756,127976

Last edited by LittleRickyII : 10-12-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #38
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Little Ricky, you are doing a wonderful job with the episode descriptions.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #39
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup
Little Ricky, you are doing a wonderful job with the episode descriptions.

Yes!!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #40
LittleRickyII

Thanks to both of you for your supportive comments. I enjoy writing these. It's mostly for folks who are not that familiar with the series. It's a rather hit-and-miss show, so I figured it might help to let people know when it's most worth tuning in, whether it's a particularly funny episode, or one with special significance, like a Vivian Vance appearance. And speaking of Vivian Vance, I should have mentioned this with my last post above, but when that pilot episode was made for Lucie, Lucille Ball was apparently having discussions with Vivian about becoming a regular on the show in the fifth season as Lucie might no longer be available. But then Lucie's pilot didn't sell, and also Vivian was diagnosed with breast cancer. So it didn't happen, which is a shame. It would have been wonderful to have them working together again. Vivian was pretty much out of the scene for the next three years, presumably due to her cancer struggle, finally making a return to television in 1975 on a Dean Martin Celebrity Roast for Lucille Ball, and later that year as a guest star on Rhoda.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #41
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Thanks to both of you for your supportive comments. I enjoy writing these. It's mostly for folks who are not that familiar with the series. It's a rather hit-and-miss show, so I figured it might help to let people know when it's most worth tuning in, whether it's a particularly funny episode, or one with special significance, like a Vivian Vance appearance. And speaking of Vivian Vance, I should have mentioned this with my last post above, but when that pilot episode was made for Lucie, Lucille Ball was apparently having discussions with Vivian about becoming a regular on the show in the fifth season as Lucie might no longer be available. But then Lucie's pilot didn't sell, and also Vivian was diagnosed with breast cancer. So it didn't happen, which is a shame. It would have been wonderful to have them working together again. Vivian was pretty much out of the scene for the next three years, presumably due to her cancer struggle, finally making a return to television in 1975 on a Dean Martin Celebrity Roast for Lucille Ball, and later that year as a guest star on Rhoda.

Poor Vivian!!! She survived the breast cancer than had a recurrence I'm thinking because she died in 1979 of bone cancer, And she also had a stroke in 1977, I was reading on wiki. Wow!

I remember Viv on Rhoda. She played a new neighbor who was really cool, and Rhoda's mom Ida became jealous of her because they were the same age and Rhoda was having fun hanging out with her and well we all know how Rhoda felt about hanging out with her Mom.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #42
LittleRickyII

Monday, October 20 - Friday, October 24:

Monday, October 20, 4:00: "Harrison Carter, Male Nurse": The tables are turned in this episode which finds Harry waiting on Lucy hand and foot. I mention this episode only because a lot of fans seem to enjoy it and it's often mentioned as a favorite of the fifth season. Personally, I don't get it. I find the comedy pretty predictable.

Tuesday, October 21, 4:00: "Lucy and Joe Namath": I'm mentioning this one for bonniegirl62. This is the one where Desi Jr. make a guest appearance on the show. This is the first time he's appeared on the show since the third season, and it's also his last. That's what makes it special, that and that fact that Joe Namath's appears as special guest star. But otherwise, it's a pretty disappointing script, and actually rather far fetched. The premise is that Joe Namath is desperately trying to convince Lucy to let Craig play college football because he thinks he has star potential. Desi Jr. at this time was a pretty good tennis player, and he's built like a tennis player. He does not, however, have the physique of a great football player, so the premise is a little hard to swallow. The episode that follows at 4:30, "Lucy and Petula Clark," is more enjoyable with a few good laughs as Lucy gets herself hired as very pregnant Petula Clark's personal assistant. The guy who makes the cameo as Petula's husband really was her husband, Claude Wolff. They had a very long marriage that ended fairly recently, though I understand they remain good friends. Actually, they are still married but have been living separately for awhile.

Wednesday, October 22, 4:00: "Lucy, the Other Woman": The ending is a bit corny, but there are a few good laughs thanks to the late, great Totie Fields, who was a very popular standup comic in her day. She died way too young.

Thursday, October 23, 4:30: "Lucy and Donny Osmond": Tune in to see a very young Donny Osmond, as well as an appearance by The Brady Bunch's Eve Plumb, who plays Lucy's niece.

Friday, October 24, 4:30: "Lucy and Dirty Gertie": Lucy goes undercover in this one. Not the most memorable episode, but still fun with a few laughs here and there.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #43
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Oh great!!! Thanks for the information LR11!!!

Tuesday is the one I want to see! I will be coming home early! You are right about Desi Jr. not seeming like a football player. He is totally a musician type, and Oh yes, I could see him being good at tennis. But he isn't the football type at all. Still very cool seeing Craig again and Joe Namath too!

And Thursday, how cool Donny and Eve Plumb!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:38 AM   #44
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Oh great!!! Thanks for the information LR11!!!

Tuesday is the one I want to see! I will be coming home early! You are right about Desi Jr. not seeming like a football player. He is totally a musician type, and Oh yes, I could see him being good at tennis. But he isn't the football type at all. Still very cool seeing Craig again and Joe Namath too!

And Thursday, how cool Donny and Eve Plumb!

I hope you got to watch, but I must say I'm disappointed with Cozi this week. I don't know what happened on the other days, but I tuned in on Tuesday and Thursday and both days they repeated 2nd season episodes in the 4:30 slot, rather than airing the scheduled 5th season episodes. The episodes they failed to air on those two days, with Petula Clark and Donny Osmond/Eve Plumb, respectively, were a couple I noted would be highlights for this week. Why would they repeat episodes they already aired several weeks ago rather than run the ones that were scheduled? I don't get it.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #45
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
I hope you got to watch, but I must say I'm disappointed with Cozi this week. I don't know what happened on the other days, but I tuned in on Tuesday and Thursday and both days they repeated 2nd season episodes in the 4:30 slot, rather than airing the scheduled 5th season episodes. The episodes they failed to air on those two days, with Petula Clark and Donny Osmond/Eve Plumb, respectively, were a couple I noted would be highlights for this week. Why would they repeat episodes they already aired several weeks ago rather than run the ones that were scheduled? I don't get it.

Yes I did get to watch the Joe Namath ep. I was wondering why the second ep was one that was already shown from a past season? It was the one about Bogie the sheep dog and her pups. I liked that ep. but still wondering why they were showing it instead of a season 5 ep?

It was cool seeing "Broadway Joe" and Desi Jr. again. I liked when Joe came to the house and Kim's reaction. Normal excited girl if a good looking pro football player was visiting. Unlike on the Brady Bunch, Marcia and Jan were so nonchalant when Joe Namath was there! Like it's everyday a pro football player comes to your house! I guess because the ep was focusing on Bobby, they didn't have the girls make a fuss over him so much!

Back to Lucy, I was glad that Craig still did good even with Joe criticizing him per Lucy's request. He realized on his own that tennis was really his game. Better than being discouraged. Kim's long granny dress was pretty, and those dresses were very in style back than. But I know if I were her, I'd be wearing a mini skirt to meet Joe Namath. He totally seems like the kind of guy that would like to see a girl in a mini skirt. But than Lucy would have more to worry about , she had enough with her son wanting to play football to not have to worry about her daughter looking too sexy too!

I liked Dirty Gertie too. Lucille Ball really can play a bag lady roll well. Did you see The Stone Pillow? Wow she was really good in that! OMG when it really was gin she was drinking , that was really funny!