Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #16
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Thursday, September 11, 4:00: "Lucy and Ann-Margret": This episode is noteworthy only because Desi Jr. is allowed to shine and have a couple funny moments, and Ann-Margret sizzles.

I got to see this. Last Thursday, my lunch didn't agree with me and I left work early. Not that having stomach issues is cool, but perfect timing to be home and to see this ep!!!

OMG, to me this was the best ep. ever! Desi shined! He really did show his musical talents and his acting skills. Wow, he could DANCE!!! And getting to see him alone with a women, even though she did "get more comfortable" by putting on a robe and curlers in her hair! That was funny. Him trying to be all grown up and prepare to be alone with her. Doing a shot of root beer and smoking (which he didn't like) and took another shot of root beer. Anyway, besides showcasing and having the focus on my crush Desi, the episode was so cool, so 60's! Loved the singing and dancing. And Ann Margret was great. So pretty, I love her hair!
Old 09-14-2014, 03:14 AM   #17
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
OMG, to me this was the best ep. ever! Desi shined! He really did show his musical talents and his acting skills. Wow, he could DANCE!!! And getting to see him alone with a women, even though she did "get more comfortable" by putting on a robe and curlers in her hair! That was funny. Him trying to be all grown up and prepare to be alone with her. Doing a shot of root beer and smoking (which he didn't like) and took another shot of root beer. Anyway, besides showcasing and having the focus on my crush Desi, the episode was so cool, so 60's! Loved the singing and dancing. And Ann Margret was great. So pretty, I love her hair!

Desi Jr. sure did mature a lot between S1 and S2. I have to keep reminding myself he is only 16 here; he seems several years older. I can't imagine him pulling off that dance during S1. And yes, it was very 60s, which makes it fun. Not much of Lucy in this one, though. It as all Ann-Margret and Desi.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Desi Jr. sure did mature a lot between S1 and S2. I have to keep reminding myself he is only 16 here; he seems several years older. I can't imagine him pulling off that dance during S1. And yes, it was very 60s, which makes it fun. Not much of Lucy in this one, though. It as all Ann-Margret and Desi.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Yes the only thing with the Desi and Ann ep was not too much Lucy in it, or Harry and Lucie either! But it was nice for Desi that he got to do that episode. I'm sure he enjoyed it! In fairness they should let Lucie do an ep like that! One that would be pretty much hers. A good looking young man guest starring that was hip and popular at the time! She did sing with Wayne Newton, no offense to him, but Wayne isn't exactly a girls dream guy!

I wish Desi got a spin-off series of his own when he left Here's Lucy. And the eps could all be on the lines of the Ann Margret ep.

Oh and by the way . I enjoyed the one on Friday with Carol Burnett. Very funny! I liked Lucy doing the Carol Burnett bit as the old scrub woman!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #20
LittleRickyII

Quote:
In fairness they should let Lucie do an ep like that! One that would be pretty much hers. A good looking young man guest starring that was hip and popular at the time! She did sing with Wayne Newton, no offense to him, but Wayne isn't exactly a girls dream guy!

Well Lucie was actually a big fan of Wayne Newton's, so doing the two episodes with him was a special treat for her. Those were some of her favorite memories of doing this show.

Now on to the week ahead: Monday, September 15 - Friday, September 19. We're now into Season Three. (These seasons go by pretty fast at the rate of two episodes a day!) This is a very good week of shows, with lots of laughs.

Monday, September 15, has two very funny episodes for the full hour. At 4:00, it's "Lucy Cuts Vincent's Price," in which, unbeknownst to Lucy, Mr. Price mistakes her for an actress he's expecting to rehearse a horror scene. At 4:30 it's "Lucy Loses Her Cool." In this episode, Lucy is trying to win a prize on Art Linkletter's show by going 24 hours without losing her temper.

Tuesday, September 16, the hour starts with fan favorite, "Lucy the Crusader," at 4:00, featuring the very funny Charles Nelson Reilly. This is not one of my personal favorites, but I know lots of people love this episode for some reason. I do admit, though, that Reilly is great in it. The 4:30 episode is "Lucy, the Skydiver." This is the one with the scene where Lucy parachutes out of an airplane.

Wednesday, September 17, 4:30: "Lucy, the Diamond Cutter": This isn't the most memorable episode, but it has frequent guest-star Wally Cox, which is always a plus. The preceding episode guest stars Sammy Davis, Jr., but unfortunately isn't quite up to par.

Thursday, September 18, 4:00: "Lucy and Jack Benny's Biography": If you're a Jack Benny fan, you'll enjoy this episode. This episode, written by former Benny writer, Milt Josefsberg, was clearly written more for Jack Benny than for Lucy. It also features a cameo appearance by Benny's equally famous best friend. This is one episode of "Here's Lucy" where the show actually got into a dispute with CBS censors. It's pretty amazing what the censors were concerned about given that this was the same season when All in the Family debuted on the same network. And what the censors were concerned about in this episode doesn't come anywhere close to the type of subject matter AITF dealt with on a regular basis. You can hear Mr. Josefberg discuss the incident here in a 1981 interview, at the 09:00 mark:

http://popup.speakingofradio.com/pop...1981&length=60

Incidentally, Milt Josefsberg would later become a writer for All in the Family. As a side note (and warning), you might want to avoid the 4:30 episode, "Lucy and Ma Parker." Although it features the wonderful Carole Cook, it's among the most inane scripts of this series. For this half hour, the entire Carter family seem to have become complete idiots. And the plot itself is rather insensitive.

Friday, September 19, 4:30: "Lucy Meets the Burtons": Okay, this is the big one! This is undoubtedly the most famous episode of the series, guest-starring the then most famous couple in Hollywood, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. This episode was used as the season premiere for the third season, first airing on September 14, 1970. The week it aired was a week of season premieres and series debuts, with summer reruns coming to an end. Viewers, as always, were excited to see the return of fresh new shows and episodes. But during this big week in TV, "Here's Lucy" was the champion, placing first in the ratings with a huge audience. It launched "Here's Lucy" into it most successful season, with the show becoming the top rated CBS series that season. But to be clear, the publicity for the Burton-Taylor episode was huge; the episode began making news at least four months before it actually hit the airwaves in September. Here's just a sampling:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=5832,3217853

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3212,3242414

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6097,3226056

And the reviews were very good:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2638,2495627

Besides the notoriety of having such big name movie stars as guests on the show, this episode is also significant in that it marked the return of I Love Lucy/Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour/Lucy Show writers Bob Carroll, Jr. and Madelyn Davis, who had not written a Lucy script in more than six years. It would be their only episode of the third season as all other script assignments had already been handed out. But they would become permanent fixtures on the show starting the following season, and remain with the series until the end in 1974.

Incidentally, the climax scene at the end is a reworking of a gag first done on I Love Lucy ("The Handcuffs") and then on The Lucy Show ("Lucy, the Music Lover"). In my opinion, this is the best version of that gag. I usually find the original to be the best, but in this case, three times is the charm!

Last edited by LittleRickyII : 09-15-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
biffbronson
Shazam!

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

I found the Art Linkletter episode to be pretty interesting. The producers were being pretty successful in landing big-name celebrities.

Was this the first time Mary Jane Croft wore a pants outfit on any of Lucy's shows? She certainly looked fine. I don't recall ever seeing her in pants in any prior work.

And Lucy in knee-high boots near the end, a nice look!

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #22
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
I found the Art Linkletter episode to be pretty interesting. The producers were being pretty successful in landing big-name celebrities.

Was this the first time Mary Jane Croft wore a pants outfit on any of Lucy's shows? She certainly looked fine. I don't recall ever seeing her in pants in any prior work.

And Lucy in knee-high boots near the end, a nice look!

I'm not usually at the house when this show is on, but I was home yesterday. I was very annoyed watching the Vincent Price episode because Cozi ruined it. They are making extensive cuts and seem to be doing so willy nilly. With this type of comedy, pacing is very important. If the pacing of a scene is off, the comedy is hurt. The scene in Vincent Price's "lab" is hilarious, but the cuts that were made broke up the pacing and destroyed the scene. As a result, this hilarious scene played out as not so funny. A scene like that is like a house of cards; pull out the wrong card and the whole thing collapses. It's a shame. Someone tuning in and not familiar with the show is going to totally miss out. I'm just glad I have my DVDs.

As for Mary Jane's pants, I'm not sure when she started wearing them, but she seemed to have done so a lot on this show, particularly in the later seasons. And during Season Five, due to her broken leg situation, Lucy was often wearing tall boots. I think they made her look very hip and stylish.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:02 PM   #23
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

I saw the Richard Burton-Liz Taylor ep yesterday! Very good. So funny when Lucy got the ring stuck on her finger and Liz had to show off the ring which was in Lucy's hand! And it really showed Gale Gordon's acting talents I thought. I actually remember this ep as a kid.

And the Buddy Rich ep I thought was great! Well you know how I LOVE the Craig based eps. And Buddy is so funny too. Loved the drum sessions! Really showed off Desi's talent! And he looked VERY fine in this ep. !! And Craig was so kindhearted , purposely losing the contest!
Old 09-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #24
LittleRickyII

Quote:
I saw the Richard Burton-Liz Taylor ep yesterday! Very good. So funny when Lucy got the ring stuck on her finger and Liz had to show off the ring which was in Lucy's hand! And it really showed Gale Gordon's acting talents I thought. I actually remember this ep as a kid.

And the Buddy Rich ep I thought was great! Well you know how I LOVE the Craig based eps. And Buddy is so funny too. Loved the drum sessions! Really showed off Desi's talent! And he looked VERY fine in this ep. !! And Craig was so kindhearted , purposely losing the contest!

Oh, I meant to acknowledge that Buddy Rich episode, just for the fact that its a diversion from the normal Lucy fare, with a heartwarming ending. You don't usually see sentimental scenes on this show. It was nice touch and helped define Craig as a nice guy, and Lucy as a proud woman to be the mother of such an upstanding young man. I also think that Buddy Rich/Desi Jr. drum duet was amazing!

As for the Taylor-Burton episode, did Cozi run the actual opening credits that announced Burton and Taylor as guest stars? This is the only episode where that was ever done.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #25
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Oh, I meant to acknowledge that Buddy Rich episode, just for the fact that its a diversion from the normal Lucy fare, with a heartwarming ending. You don't usually see sentimental scenes on this show. It was nice touch and helped define Craig as a nice guy, and Lucy as a proud woman to be the mother of such an upstanding young man. I also think that Buddy Rich/Desi Jr. drum duet was amazing!

As for the Taylor-Burton episode, did Cozi run the actual opening credits that announced Burton and Taylor as guest stars? This is the only episode where that was ever done.

IDK I changed the channel to Cozi at the last minute and the show was just starting. I didn't see the opening credits! May I add, that Richard Burton was really something else. WOW!!! What an actor!!! I didn't really know much about him being a little girl. I knew Elizabeth Taylor much more! She was beautiful, and a great actress! And Burton was amazing! Glad I was able to catch this episode as an adult and really appreciate his fine acting!

The Buddy Rich ep. Yes it was very sweet and off the pattern of the usual Lucy stuff as you posted. We are used to offbeat characters that always seem to be eccentric or "up to something" ! I was really thinking the young man that was Craig's competitor in the drum contest was pulling a scam on him. Sob story that he was too poor and needed the scholarship reward money, and it wasn't true. And Craig, being kind hearted and na´ve was falling for it! I was expecting at the last minute for Lucy or Buddy to figure it out and warn Craig that he was a fraud. But no, it really turned out to be true, and it was a heartwarming episode! Craig being a nice/compassionate young man and as you said, Lucy a proud mother.

IMO this was one of the best episodes, and as I posted before, Buddy Rich was very funny, and wow he can play the drums!!!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 AM   #26
LittleRickyII

Yes, Richard was indeed a great actor. And if you ever get a chance to see Richard and Elizabeth together in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, you'll see both of them in really fine form. The way you describe what you were expecting the ending of the Buddy Rich episode to be does sound more in line with a typical Lucy episode. But I like that they took that sentimental diversion this time.

Now, onto some highlights for the week ahead: Monday, September 22 - Friday, September 26

Monday, September 22, 4:30: "Lucy, the American Mother": This is some silly fun with Lucy on the loose in the public library. Good laughs in store.

Tuesday, September 23, it's Vivian Vance for the full hour in "Lucy's Hawaiian Vacation" parts 1 and 2. These are my least favorite of Vivian's appearances on the show -- the script is not very inspired -- but it's always refreshing to see Viv. These episodes are also significant as they marked the last appearance of Desi Arnaz Jr. as a regular on the show when they aired. He would appear only once more, as a guest star in the S5 episode with Joe Namath. Note, however, that these episodes are a little out of sequence from the way they aired (in production order, I believe), so you will see a couple more Desi Jr. episodes beyond this, although he did leave the show before production ended for S3.

Wednesday, September 24, 4:00: "Lucy's Wedding Party." This is not really that special an episode. There are a few laughs here and there, but it gets lively when Lucy and wedding guests perform Zorba's Dance.

Last edited by LittleRickyII : 09-22-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #27
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

These episodes are also significant as they marked the last appearance of Desi Arnaz Jr. as a regular on the show when they aired. He would appear only once more, as a guest star in the S5 episode with Joe Namath.

No more Desi!!!! I will still watch , but I will miss him! I LOVE Joe Namath, I will be sure to be home that day to see him and see Craig's visit! Even if I have to call in sick the day it is run. (Or suddenly at work have an excruciating "headache" or "stomach ache" LOL!!!

As you said before a whole season goes by fast when they show 2 eps a day! Can't believe season 3 is finishing already!
Old 09-25-2014, 11:04 PM   #28
LittleRickyII

Quote:
As you said before a whole season goes by fast when they show 2 eps a day! Can't believe season 3 is finishing already!

And it goes by even faster when they cut out a third of the episode! I was at home yesterday and watched "Lucy's Wedding Party." The big greek dance which I pointed out as a highlight, they literally cut out at least half of it! I couldn't believe it. Also, the episode ended with Harry covered in wedding cake, but that entire bit was completely cut out. I've noticed they're cutting off all the episode endings. These cuts are so disappointing, especially when they're cutting off some of the best bits, or as I mentioned regarding the Vincent Price episode, making cuts that mess up the pacing of a scene and destroy the comedy. I said it before and I'll say it again: I'm SO glad I've got my DVDs, which are beautifully restored and COMPLETE.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:08 PM   #29
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
And it goes by even faster when they cut out a third of the episode! I was at home yesterday and watched "Lucy's Wedding Party." The big greek dance which I pointed out as a highlight, they literally cut out at least half of it! I couldn't believe it. Also, the episode ended with Harry covered in wedding cake, but that entire bit was completely cut out. I've noticed they're cutting off all the episode endings. These cuts are so disappointing, especially when they're cutting off some of the best bits, or as I mentioned regarding the Vincent Price episode, making cuts that mess up the pacing of a scene and destroy the comedy. I said it before and I'll say it again: I'm SO glad I've got my DVDs, which are beautifully restored and COMPLETE.

You are right!! I really notice it at the end. The show just stops!!!! Seems like there should be a little more!!!

I watched the two eps today! First one was funny, Lucy pretending to be Harry's wife and to be expecting a baby! I didn't get why it was necessary for her to be pregnant? I know it was for the show and to make a funny episode, but what I mean is, why did Harry insist she be pregnant? Why not just be his wife to discourage that other women from any romantic interest?

Second ep with Rudy Valle . I thought was really boring until the very end with Lucy and Lucie dancing and Rudy a bit more jazzy! Wow, Lucie can dance!!!! She's good!!!
Old 09-27-2014, 02:57 AM   #30
LittleRickyII

Quote:
You are right!! I really notice it at the end. The show just stops!!!! Seems like there should be a little more!!!

I watched the two eps today! First one was funny, Lucy pretending to be Harry's wife and to be expecting a baby! I didn't get why it was necessary for her to be pregnant? I know it was for the show and to make a funny episode, but what I mean is, why did Harry insist she be pregnant? Why not just be his wife to discourage that other women from any romantic interest?

Second ep with Rudy Valle . I thought was really boring until the very end with Lucy and Lucie dancing and Rudy a bit more jazzy! Wow, Lucie can dance!!!! She's good!!!

I'm not much of a fan of that Rudy episode, and it was apparently a very bad experience for Ms. Ball, who found him very vulgar and offensive, swearing constantly. It's interesting that she didn't seem to have that reaction years before when he guested on the "Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana" episode. But maybe the fact that, this time, her kids were present made it more of an issue. Or maybe he just behaved better the first time. The other episode, I haven't seen in awhile, so I don't remember what the motivation was for her to be pregnant or if there was one; I'll have to check the DVD sometime. It's very likely, though, that there was some explanation and Cozi cut it out. They're really good at cutting out key scenes and dialogue!