Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Here's Lucy links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Here's Lucy Photo Gallery

Here's Lucy - Season One

Buy Here's Lucy - Season One on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Two

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Two on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Three

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Three on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Four

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Four on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Five

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Five on DVD
Here's Lucy - Season Six

Buy Here's Lucy - Season Six on DVD
Here's Lucy - The Complete Series

Buy Here's Lucy - The Complete Series on DVD

Buy Here's Lucy - Best Loved Episodes from the Hit TV Series / Buy Here's Lucy - Best of Collection

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Here's Lucy
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
LittleRickyII

Default Here's Lucy: Special Episodes This Week

I just want to point out a few episodes airing this week that are worth checking out.

Tuesday, August 19: The 4:30 episode is "Lucy, the Matchmaker." This is Vivian Vance's first guest appearance on this series.

Wednesday, August 20: The 4:00 episode is "Lucy, the Fixer," which is one of the best episodes of the first season. The first scene in the living room with Lucy and the kids is a bit slow, but once you get past that, Lucille Ball and Gale Gordon had one of their best bits together. It's just the two of them together for most of the half hour showing what they were capable of as comedy partners.

Thursday, August 21: The 4:30 episode is "A Date for Lucy." This is one of my favorite episodes of the season. Very lively and funny. It also marks Mary Jane Croft's first appearance on the series, and her only appearance in season one.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
LittleRickyII

4:00 today, "Lucy, the Fixer" airs. Some consider this to be the best Lucille Ball-Gale Gordon comedy scene ever. Do you agree?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
LittleRickyII

Today at 4:30, one of my favorite episodes of the season airs: "A Date for Lucy." My other S1 favorite airs next week, as does my least favorite of the entire series. I'll get to that later. But if you can, check out "A Date for Lucy" today. It's a wonderful, funny episode, featuring Cesar Romero, and introducing (briefly) Mary Jane Croft to this series. She hadn't appeared in a Lucy episode since the series finale of The Lucy Show the year before. This is her only S1 appearance.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #4
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Today at 4:30, one of my favorite episodes of the season airs: "A Date for Lucy." My other S1 favorite airs next week, as does my least favorite of the entire series. I'll get to that later. But if you can, check out "A Date for Lucy" today. It's a wonderful, funny episode, featuring Cesar Romero, and introducing (briefly) Mary Jane Croft to this series. She hadn't appeared in a Lucy episode since the series finale of The Lucy Show the year before. This is her only S1 appearance.

I actually got to see the ep with Cesar Romero on Thursday! I wasn't feeling very good and I was pretty much caught up at work, so I left early, I caught two really good eps. Cesar Romero as Lucy's blind date and a jewel thief. Very funny, I enjoyed it. And Cesar was a very good looking man! And at that point he was pretty old! A silver fox! I remember him as The joker from Batman, and WOW seeing him without orange hair and clown makeup he was handsome! And The ep with Wally Cox , very funny. Wow, I haven't seen Wally in years!!! He and Lucy in that seedy bar, him in drag as an old lady and Lucy as an old lady too. She reminded me of Mama from Mama's family!

Than on Friday my early day from work. Lucy the stenographer! I didn't really get to see it all though. My sister who lives in another state called, and she's having some problems so I was on the phone with her. But I did notice Gale Gordon dressed as a women with his mustache and the fat guy seemed funny! Than the next ep. was funny, Craig's first job at the Supermarket! (he was adorable ) and Lucy and Lucie were really good in this, Mom giving shopping tips, that weren't really the best advice!!! It ended in her favor though!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #5
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Quote:
4:00 today, "Lucy, the Fixer" airs. Some consider this to be the best Lucille Ball-Gale Gordon comedy scene ever. Do you agree?

I enjoyed it -- it was very over-the-top, physical stuff. But the scene that always has me laughing the most is from The Lucy Show: Lucy Flies to London (I may have the title wrong).

Anyway I did see both the Vivian Vance and Mary Jane Croft episodes of Here's Lucy (S1) this past week. They both looked fine!

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 08-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniegirl62
I actually got to see the ep with Cesar Romero on Thursday! I wasn't feeling very good and I was pretty much caught up at work, so I left early, I caught two really good eps. Cesar Romero as Lucy's blind date and a jewel thief. Very funny, I enjoyed it. And Cesar was a very good looking man! And at that point he was pretty old! A silver fox! I remember him as The joker from Batman, and WOW seeing him without orange hair and clown makeup he was handsome! And The ep with Wally Cox , very funny. Wow, I haven't seen Wally in years!!! He and Lucy in that seedy bar, him in drag as an old lady and Lucy as an old lady too. She reminded me of Mama from Mama's family!

I always liked Wally Cox. And that's a pretty good scene they have together with him in drag and Lucy as an old lady. I never thought about it but yeah, she does sort of look like Mama from Mama's Family.

Quote:
Than on Friday my early day from work. Lucy the stenographer! I didn't really get to see it all though. My sister who lives in another state called, and she's having some problems so I was on the phone with her. But I did notice Gale Gordon dressed as a women with his mustache and the fat guy seemed funny! Than the next ep. was funny, Craig's first job at the Supermarket! (he was adorable ) and Lucy and Lucie were really good in this, Mom giving shopping tips, that weren't really the best advice!!! It ended in her favor though!

That episode you're referring to with Lucy as a stenographer is another favorite of mine during the first season. There are several very funny moments. It's too bad you missed that one instead of the one that followed. I have a problem with that supermarket scene in the next episode in that it involved a lot of comedy with props. Lucy was the expert on working with props, but her kids were not experienced and it shows. That sort of spoiled it. It still had its moments, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
I enjoyed it -- it was very over-the-top, physical stuff. But the scene that always has me laughing the most is from The Lucy Show: Lucy Flies to London (I may have the title wrong).

Anyway I did see both the Vivian Vance and Mary Jane Croft episodes of Here's Lucy (S1) this past week. They both looked fine!

I always thought that episode was called "Lucy Goes to London," but IMDB has it listed as "Lucy Flies to London," so I don't know. I agree that it's very funny and a great scene between Lucille Ball and Gale Gordon. I think both of these series were at their best when the comedy was outside of the office setting and just between Ball and Gordon.

Now on to next week, August 25-29. This is a week of warnings, both bad and wonderful. There are bad episodes, and there are wonderful, excellent ones. Starting on Monday, I would say don't bother tuning in at all. The episodes that day are "Lucy and Carol Burnett" and "Lucy's Safari." I absolutely love Carol Burnett, but for some reason, most of her guest appearances on Lucy's shows were turned into a musical outing with a flimsy underlying plot -- some very contrived storyline that would result in Lucy and Carol putting on a show together. I never cared for the musical episodes partly because the plots were so implausible and not funny. Actually, I never cared for the musical segments at the end of Carol Burnett's own show -- they bored me -- and these Here's Lucy musicals were similar to what Carol did on her own show. But I think it's worse on a sitcom because it forces the characters to be involved in implausible situations. This episode is no exception. It's about Carol Burnett as Carol Burnett agreeing to appear in a high school play! 'nuff said.

As for "Lucy's Safari," that script belonged on an episode of Gilligan's Island. I'm no fan of Gilligan's Island because it completely lacks believability, and the humor seems sophomoric. This episode comes across the same way. It's all about Lucy chasing after some made-up animal species in a Los Angeles canyon that looks like a lush tropical rain forest. Anyone who knows anything about the arid climate of L.A. knows there is nothing lush about it. And there's no credibility to the story at all. Lots of ridiculous stuff going on.

Then on Tuesday, a big huge warning! I advise anyone against watching the first half hour. This episode guest stars Tennessee Ernie Ford. It's yet another musical episode and, in my opinion, the worst episode of the entire series. The plot is something about Tennessee Ernie -- who, for some bizarre reason, has a farm outside of L.A. -- seeking help from the Carter family in advertise his farm as a weekend getaway for stressed-out people in L.A. Most of the episode plays like a 20-minute commercial for his "fun farm." About 10 minutes of it has the Carters pretending to be an irritable city family that spends all their time yelling at one another. And literally, it's nothing but them yelling and screaming at one another as if that alone is supposed to be funny. There's nothing clever about the dialogue, it's just constant yelling that will really grate on your nerves. The last part has them going to Tennessee Ernie's fun farm, where the barn has magically polished floors and all the locals turn out for a ho-down and come out and sing and dance like professionals. This is the one episode I find simply unwatchable.

But never fear, these three consecutive duds are follow by a real jewel. The 4:30 episode on Tuesday -- DON'T MISS IT -- is "Lucy Helps Craig Get a Driver's License." It was the final episode of Season One, and one of the best entries of the season. Lucy's sharp comic timing is on full display here. And guest starring is the great character actor, Jack Gilford, who has wonderful chemistry with Lucille Ball. They were simply great together. It's a very funny and entertaining half hour.

The Wednesday and Thursday episodes are the four-episode story arc where the Here's Lucy cast goes on the road for some on-location shows in Colorado, Arizona and Utah. There are some funny moments, but Lucille Ball really was at her best performing in studio in front of a live audience. Without the energy of the audience, the comedy falls a little flat. I think the first episode, "Lucy Goes to the Air Force Academy: Part 1" at 4:00 on Wednesday, and the last, "Lucy Runs the Rapids," at 4:30 on Thursday, are the better of the four.

Now Friday starts out with another DON'T miss! At 4:00, it's "Lucy and Harry's Tonsils," which is my favorite S2 episode. This is more wonderful Lucille Ball-Gale Gordon comedy, and Gale Gordon has a scene in a waiting room where he is brilliant. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE.

The episode that follows, "Lucy's Burglar Alarm" is a bit over the top at the end, but the scene at the beginning with the burglar is pretty funny.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

The one thing I didn't like in the Supermarket ep was the store manager calling Craig 'boy"! He was an employee, not a servant!!!

When the specials were being announced and the lady shoppers were stampeding, Craig was cute when he hit the deck by jumping on the shelves.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
LittleRickyII

Just a reminder: The first three episodes that will air this week (August 25-29) I would classify as "DON'T BOTHER!" But you're safe to tune back in starting tomorrow at 4:30 for the final seven episodes. And two of these final seven "DON'T MISS": the Tuesday, 4:30 episode, "Lucy Helps Craig Get a Driver's License"; and the Friday, 4:00 episode: "Lucy and Harry's Tonsils."
Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #9
LittleRickyII

Quote:
The one thing I didn't like in the Supermarket ep was the store manager calling Craig 'boy"! He was an employee, not a servant!!!

But . . . he was a boy. He was 15 years old. When I was his age, I also worked in a grocery store, and they called me a bag boy.

Quote:
When the specials were being announced and the lady shoppers were stampeding, Craig was cute when he hit the deck by jumping on the shelves.

I haven't see that ep. in awhile; don't remember. I was watching "Driver's License" today and annoyed by some of the cuts. They did a couple cuts in the scene inside the driver's license bureau that pretty much ruined it. If the wrong parts are cut, it kills the joke, and that's what happened.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

Quote:
But . . . he was a boy. He was 15 years old. When I was his age, I also worked in a grocery store, and they called me a bag boy.

I haven't see that ep. in awhile; don't remember. I was watching "Driver's License" today and annoyed by some of the cuts. They did a couple cuts in the scene inside the driver's license bureau that pretty much ruined it. If the wrong parts are cut, it kills the joke, and that's what happened.

Yes he sure was a boy. I know a bagboy is a job position, but to be called boy? When I was a teenager , I wouldn't want my boss calling me girl!

But than the manager was getting frazzled at that point because Lucy (Boy's mother) was reeking havoc in the market!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Yes he sure was a boy. I know a bagboy is a job position, but to be called boy? When I was a teenager , I wouldn't want my boss calling me girl!

But than the manager was getting frazzled at that point because Lucy (Boy's mother) was reeking havoc in the market!!!

To be honest, I can remember when I was working at that job a woman referred to me as a boy. I was so annoyed, thinking, I'm 16; I'm not a boy, I'm a young man. But now that I look back on it, I was a boy.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #12
LittleRickyII

A reminder once more that Friday at 4:00 Cozi airs "Lucy and Harry's Tonsils." This is my favorite S2 episode. If Cozi doesn't cut out key bits like they did with "Driver's License" the other day, many laughs are in store. Don't be discouraged by the opening scene. It's a bit slow, but most of what follows is hilarious. Lucy and Gale Gordon have a couple very funny scenes together at the hospital (and again, I think their best comedy bits on the show were outside the usual office setting), and Gale has a really funny waiting room scene with character actor Jack Collins. In fact, this episode is really a showcase for Gale Gordon.

Another highlight of this episode is a guest appearance by the always wonderful Mary Wickes, who plays a nurse who has no patience for Harry. And Lucille Ball's close friend and Wildcat costar, Paula Stewart, also appears in this episode as a sexy nurse. I think this is her only Lucy appearance.

This episode has all the best elements of this series: a believable family story that integrates the entire cast and doesn't rely on an outside guest; a great Lucille Ball-Gale Gordon comedy scene; and performances by some of the best character actors to round out the show.

The 4:30 episode, "Lucy's Burglar Alarm" has a funny scene at the beginning. It's a fairly fun episode altogether, but does go quite over the top towards the end, as you'll see.

Coming up Monday, of course, is the Labor Day Here's Lucy marathon, which mostly repeats the episodes that have already aired. And then some highlights for the rest of next week: Tuesday, September 2-Friday, September 5:

Tuesday, 4:00: "Lucy at the Drive-In Movie" There are some very funny moments in this episode with Lucy and Harry going undercover as hippies.

Wednesday, 4:00: "Lucy and the Used Car Dealer" A fun outing with Milton Berle guest starring as a shady used car dealer.

Friday, 4:30: "Lucy the Laundress" Not exactly a must see, but there are some funny moments here, and a few politically incorrect ones.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:31 AM   #13
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

I get to watch tomorrow, off early from work. Glad I'm catching the Tonsils ep. Sounds good!

And looking forward to Labor day catching up on a lot of good ones I missed!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
Bonniegirl
Forum Celebrity
AKA Hazel Horvath

This past Friday, they showed a couple of good ones.

The Olde English sheepdog and her puppies was adorable!!! I enjoyed it, being an animal lover, a very cute ep!

And Lucy and the Chinese laundry was HILARIOUS!! Very much like Lucille Ball from the old I love Lucy days!!! And as I said on another thread, Desi /Craig is really growing up!!! Not just getting more mature in looks, but he is getting more comfortable and his acting is really improving! He seemed a little nervous and shy in the first season, now his good acting skills are really showing!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
LittleRickyII

Quote:
This past Friday, they showed a couple of good ones.

The Olde English sheepdog and her puppies was adorable!!! I enjoyed it, being an animal lover, a very cute ep!

And Lucy and the Chinese laundry was HILARIOUS!! Very much like Lucille Ball from the old I love Lucy days!!! And as I said on another thread, Desi /Craig is really growing up!!! Not just getting more mature in looks, but he is getting more comfortable and his acting is really improving! He seemed a little nervous and shy in the first season, now his good acting skills are really showing!

I agree about the Chinese laundry episode, but the episode with the puppies, called "Lucy and the Bogie Affair," seems lacking in logic. The premise has Lucy, Kim and Craig trying to find owners for a litter of puppies. Lucy somehow gets the idea to walk onto the set of Jack LaLanne's show while it's on the air and give him a puppy. So many questions. Why wouldn't she just call some friends, or go door to door in her neighborhood? She doesn't know Jack LaLanne, so how could she get past studio guards and personnel carrying puppies? Why would she think it's a good idea to do this while the show is on the air? I just can't follow the logic. That said, I love dogs, too! And as for Desi Jr., I agree, he really matured between S1 and S2, physically and as an actor. He seemed much older than his 16 years.

Now on to the week ahead, Monday, September 8 - Friday, September 12. Here are some episodes to check out:

Monday, September 8, 4:30: "Lucy Protects Her Job": You have to suspend your disbelief a bit in this one, but Lucie Arnaz turns in a great performance as a dimwitted secretary. She also has developed greatly since S1.

Wednesday, September 10, 4:00 and 4:30: This is a big day because i's a full hour of Viv! The 4:00 episode, "Lucy and Lawrence Welk," is very funny. Mary Jane is featured in this one as well and she, Lucy and Viv all have some very funny moments. The 4:30 episode is "Lucy and Viv Visit Tijuana." I don't like it nearly as much as the first episode, but I know some people prefer it to the Lawrence Welk episode, so I'll let you be the judge. Also, I'm assuming between the Lawrence Welk episode and this one Viv got contacts! The whole premise of the Lawrence Welk episode was that she couldn't see without her glasses. She never wears them in the second episode.

Thursday, September 11, 4:00: "Lucy and Ann-Margret": This episode is noteworthy only because Desi Jr. is allowed to shine and have a couple funny moments, and Ann-Margret sizzles.

Friday, September 12, 4:30: "Lucy and Carol Burnett": Carol Burnett made three guest appearances on this series, this one is the funniest. It has Lucy and Carol (as Carol Krausmeyer) competing against one another in a beauty contest. Alan Alda's father, Robert Alda, is also featured.