Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hot in Cleveland links at Sitcoms Online / Hot in Cleveland Photo Gallery

Hot in Cleveland - Season One

Buy Hot in Cleveland - Season One on DVD
Hot in Cleveland - Season Two

Buy Hot in Cleveland - Season Two on DVD
Hot in Cleveland - Season Three

Buy Hot in Cleveland - Season Three on DVD
Hot in Cleveland - Season Four

Buy Hot in Cleveland - Season Four on DVD
Hot in Cleveland - Season Five

Buy Hot in Cleveland - Season Five on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2010s Sitcoms > Hot in Cleveland
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: who would replace Betty White?
Doris Roberts 2 16.67%
Carol Burnett 1 8.33%
Vicki Lawrence 6 50.00%
Valerie Harper 0 0%
Charlotte Rae 1 8.33%
Cloris Leachman 2 16.67%
Katherine Helmond 0 0%
Angela Lansbury 0 0%
Katherine MacGregor 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
wiseguy182

Default poll: Who would replace Betty White?

As unpleasant as it is to think about, Betty White is 92 and there's been some talk on what would happen if she passed away. Asking who would replace her is sort of a trick question since nobody could really replace a legend like Betty White. She would leave an enormous void. But...I think there are several older actors that might be a good fit, assuming they wanted to keep things the same and have an older actor as the caretaker of the house. Many of these options have already guest-starred on the show.

Let's take a look at some possibilities, I'll put an asterisk next to ones who have appeared on the show:

*Doris Roberts ~ Perhaps not quite as beloved as Betty, but she's certainly up there. Check out the HUGE applause she got when she guest starred on Full House in the early 90's (I think the only person to rival that, at least in the first 3 seasons, was Scott Baio). She has her fan base and deservedly so.

*Carol Burnett ~ Generally thought of as one of the nicest celebrities, as well as one of the funniest women, Carol would certainly be a strong contender. The Carol Burnett reunion shows, which were happening up to the 2000's, were very well received. And on that note...

Vicki Lawrence ~ would Vicki reprise the Mama character? Make no mistake about it, Vicki was still doing the character as recently as a few years ago, and the dvd releases last year were very well received. Vicki is only a year older than Wendie IRL, but the Mama character would have to be Elka's age right about now.

*Valerie Harper ~ Valerie's popularity is sky-high at the moment, after she beat out a seemingly incurable brain tumor. Perhaps a spot on a proven sitcom hit would be a nice end to a career that saw her kicked off her own sitcom in favor of Sandy Duncan. (and no, I DON'T want to see Sandy Duncan on Hot in Cleveland, so please don't suggest it, LOL

Charlotte Rae ~ And speaking of someone who beat out a tough disease at an old age, there's Charlotte Rae. Charlotte recently defeated pancreatic cancer (a silent killer since it has no visible symptoms). Charlotte pretty much disappeared after leaving the Facts of Life after seven seasons. But she certainly has experience playing a housemother. Speaking of which...

*Cloris Leachman ~ Ah, Cloris Leachman. She seems to be somewhat underestimated. Over the years, she's played everything from the mother of deranged Anthony Fremont, to Beverly Ann, to hilariously cantankerous Aunt Mooster on Promised Land. (a role in which she played a character considerably older than her real age, one of her episodes airs on UP! tomorrow -- 5/5/14). She could certainly play the role of feisty old lady like Betty. And on that note...

Katherine Helmond ~ Simply delightful as the likeable, feisty, horny old lady on Who's The Boss?

Angela Lansbury ~ Having seen several of her elderly Murder, She Wrote co-stars die in the last few years hasn't dissuaded Angela from retiring, she's apparently itching to get back into a major role. She's 88, and one of the older options. But she might be up to it.

Katherine MacGregor ~ This one seems unlikely as Scottie seemingly retired from television at the tail-end of Little House on the Prairie's run. But LHOTP is a much beloved show, and Katherine NAILED her part. Currently 89 years old, but she could bring the laughs.

Feel free to mention anyone I may have forgot. You may vote for more than one option in this poll.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

I only chose Vicki Lawrence since she's the youngest of the bunch.

Charlotte Rae may not make it after one season and Valerie Harper is on the edge of death...

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 05-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

I would suggest Shirley Jones. She was great in a recurring role on The Drew Carey Show a few years back.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
Valerie Harper is on the edge of death...

Not anymore, as I said.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
wiseguy182

holy crap, Valerie Harper is being sued for 2 million dollars by the producers of a play because she failed to disclose her illness and slurred her speech in rehearsals. What a frivilous, disgusting, revolting lawsuit.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Hot Lips
Frequent Poster
I Have Hot Lips

Whoever ends up taking her place and whenever that is the show won't be the same without Miss Betty White.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Vanna White
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
Not anymore, as I said.

That's why I'm not a fan of doctors...they will give you a time for death and if they say 24 hours...it could be 24 months that the person lives!

They give you an opinion and it really isn't much fact.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

I thought I'd just go the safe route and choose Vicki Lawrence to be a potential replacement for Betty White (in case Ms. White doesn't live to see the end of Hot in Cleveland), even though this poll is multiple choice.

Anytime a senior citizen is cast in a current show, there's always high potential for them passing away while the show is still ongoing.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
I thought I'd just go the safe route and choose Vicki Lawrence to be a potential replacement for Betty White (in case Ms. White doesn't live to see the end of Hot in Cleveland), even though this poll is multiple choice.

Anytime a senior citizen is cast in a current show, there's always high potential for them passing away while the show is still ongoing.

Didn't know that, but yeah...that's the reason why I chose Lawrence. Most of the people on that list are in their 80's and may NOT see the entire series.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #11
Sweathog
Frequent Poster
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Mr. Kotter.

Well I know she is a Senior Citizen but the last time I checked she wasn't gone. I certainly hope she can make it through the entire run of the show. She is hilarious in the show.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
king of comedy

Vicki Lawrenece
Old 05-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #13
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

I don't like Hot In Cleveland personally, but I don't think anyone could replace her. I always thought that if Betty White passed away that they would either cancel the show or find a way to go on without her. I do think that it's popular enough that Jane Leeves, Valerie Bertinelli and Wendie Malick could carry the show on their own. They would have to do some serious rewriting but I think it would work. I think it's tacky and disrespectful when shows replace actors who have died with other actors (unless there's no way the character could be written off given the circumstances). I'd rather them just write the character off and give them a proper demise (the way it was handled when John Ritter died. Granted, I was beyond ticked at the way Monk handled Stanley Kammel's death (by barely even mentioning it), but at least they didn't replace him with another actor to play the same role.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
McGillicuddy

Betty White is immortal!
Old 06-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #15
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

As I looked over the list, I passed on Vicki. I like her but if she did the Momma character I would tune out. Doing Momma has been seen enough. Now if the Elka character leaves, Betty could say I have had enough, isn't the house Elka's. The three would have to buy the house. It could be sold by a cousin. Might be better to have the 3 moved to a new ladys house. I thought the 3 could visit Carol Burnet. Didn't she play Victoria's mother.