Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
studd911

Rolleyes Does Anybody Feel Confident That All Of The Music Will Be On Season 5

Does Anybody Feel Confident That All Of The Music Will Be On Season 5 dvd including all of the songs that the band did i pray and hope that CBS will not screw this dvd up like they did season 2 that would be a tragic and the late Tom Bosely AKA Mr. C would be rolling on over in his grave and if God forbids that happens with everything being cut i rather not see them continue on with the series and im not trying too be funny just honest
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
studd911

i looked at all of the original music scores that was on tv.com that was affilated with happy days season 5 i hope that what i ha reviewed is on the dvd
Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Default Edited Episodes Without a Doubt

Not that any of us were expecting uncut episodes, considering what they did with Seasons 2-4 and the fact that this is CBS, a studio well-known for cutting music and even scenes containing it.

If the CBS Press Release that HTF posted is correct, these episodes are going to be cut much worse than I even imagined. The press release states that the set is only 622 minutes. To be complete, considering the number of episodes, this set would have to be roughly 679-688 minutes. It's simple math.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topi...-fifth-season/

Season 5 had 26 episodes. The first episode was 1-hour, that being the Hollywood episode. The 30-minute conclusion aired the following week. In syndication, "Hollywood" is broken into 3 parts. To make the math simpler, consider the season to be 27 episodes, if you split the first episode in two. Divide 622 minutes by 27 and you get only 23:04 minutes per episode!! Badly cut...

If you don't like it that way, allow 49:30-51:00 for the 1-hour episode, subtract that from 622, and then divide the remainder by 25. I gave the 1-hour episode the benefit of the doubt and plugged it in at low run time at 49:30 for the calculation, although that's a hair low for the era. Either way, it again worked out to an average of over 2 minutes missing per episode, considering the era. TV sitcoms were still averaging over 25 minutes well into the 80's and around 25:10-25:30 in '77-'78.

A 30-minute sitcom of this era('77-'78) should be averaging around 25:20-25:35 per episode. If you watch DVD sets of shows known to be uncut on DVD, you'll see the run times are extremely consistent as well. There is no 1-2 minute fluctuation unless something is cut. Usually they're within 5-20 seconds of each other. You can verify this by checking the uncut episodes from Happy Days season 4, the L&S episodes that are uncut, and Seasons 3-5 of Three's Company, among many, many other examples.

So, on average, these episodes are missing over 2 minutes each. However, not every episode will likely be missing footage. I hope. What can likely be extrapolated from this is that the episodes with Suzy Quattro music and the Valentine's episode are cut badly, unless there are many episodes this season with lots of popular music and covers.

Either way, sad. It's a shame what music rights issues have done to TV on DVD.

Edit-Apparently, the original release info was wrong. Another member, JH23, has the set, and it clocks in at 662 minutes, not 622.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan : 05-19-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
studd911

All im saying is that CBS Paramount will fans not to buy there product because if a show like HD is popular then it should be featured with all of the music and seeing that we have waited along time again that will be a sad day if they showed the series with everything cut and as i said to you previousely that without music is screws up the scenes they screwed up season 2 and we all saw the results of what happened which put so much of pressure on them to make sure that season 3 and 4 had the music intact they messed this dvd up knowing that we have waited a long time then i rather not see them putting any more of the dvds out because of there lack of interest and anybody will tell you that if you are going to show or sell a product you have to have everything including its just me expressing how i feel and to be honest this is what concerns me about studios they rather put dvds out there without showing anything nor giving there fans of what they do not want this is why i thank God for outside studies like Shout Factory Millscreek and starvest Time because they know what fans want and i hope that in the near future that CBS will partner with them to show the series the way that it needed to be shown