Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #76
maxwell
Frequent Poster

Honestly, these insanely expensive music rights (along with the lawsuit) is what have stalled the release of this show. Does it seriously matter that songs heard in the background for a matter of seconds are replaced with generic music? CBS cleared the rights to all of leather's songs in the two parter and all of the Valentine's music, two episodes that people thought for sure would be edited. Other sitcoms have had large chunks of seasons axed out over music rights, but they've kept Happy Days largely intact. Blame these old artists who are still trying to make a killing on their old work for the edits. Happy Days S5 has been performing largely well on Amazon over the past few weeks, and personally I hope this means there's more to come.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #77
studd911

i truly dought that again im waiting too what Todd post up about the dvd reviews again i wouldn't be buying a product if nothing is included
Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #78
thebigcookie

I don't care about music as long as the theme song is intact. I was born in 1990 so I don't even know the difference. I'm just glad it's finally out after all this time. I know CBS Paramount was able to finish up Laverne and Shirley, as well as Family Ties and those had been stalled for a while. I hope that this one sells well, and I hope we get Season 6 in August/September and then Season 7 in December then hopefully 8-10 in 2015 and 11 to complete the series in 2016. I have a feeling this show will get completed eventually.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #79
studd911

Again i do not see it happening thats just me we will see if everybody gets there dvd and see how many complanets everybody gets again Mr C has got to be rolling over in his grave
Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #80
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH23
After doing the count of 26 episodes, 7+7+7+5, I didn't realise the 4th Year Anniversary Special is one of the 27 episodes until I saw your post Colonel Hogan. Also the "Double Length" episode is Part 1 and Part 2 on the DVD as their own individual episodes. "Fonzie and Leather Tuscadero" on disc 2.

Also Speaking of Fonzie and Leather Tuscadero, can anyone explain to me why those two episodes would be titled "Fonzie: Rock Entrepreneur (Part 1)" and "Fonzie: Rock Entrepreneur (Part 2)." On the inside of the DVD case? Was that a syndicated title perhaps?

Thanks for taking the time to type out those run times, JH23. I appreciate it, as I'm sure a lot of others do as well. Those run times are very encouraging. Notice that run time consistency I was talking about? The ones that are low 25:XX are probably where the cuts lie. Many of those episodes are in the 25:3X range. A good sign.

That's great to know that the Anniversary Show is much longer than 22 minutes. The 24:53 run time is still a little low for the era(40 seconds or so) and indicates cuts, but that's a huge improvement. You'd make a good reviewer. It was a mistake that any of us could make, trying to record and keep track of all those times makes things blur together sometimes.

Todd has mentioned that there is music missing and snippets of scenes missing as well. That's very troubling, especially when it removes footage. I hate music replacement, especially when music is very relevant to a show, like this one. I gave up on Quantum Leap and The Fall Guy when the butchering was discovered, among other shows. However, I really expected more to be missing here, like the previous releases.

Sometimes I think CBS just haphazardly cuts music without doing the research and finding out if they could use them or not and what the cost would be. That Potsie cut Todd mentioned just seems ridiculous, along with the Leather cut in "Richie Almost Dies". CBS cut 2-3 songs out of an Andy Griffith Show episode "The Darlings are Coming" and those songs were in the public domain!!!

The run time that was advertised for this set a few months ago was wrong. It said 622 minutes, instead of 662. With the old run listing, the episodes only averaged high 22/low 23-minute run times. This is a relief on the video aspect of this release.

The Fonzie/Leather episodes were aired separately, not as a double length. Only the first episode of the season was double length(Hollywood 1 and 2), yet appears on the set as two parts.

The alternate titles for the Fonzie/Leather episodes do appear in the Wikipedia episode guide, but I've never heard of the "entrepreneur" title before, and I thought I knew this show, especially the first 7 seasons.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan : 05-19-2014 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #81
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
Unfortunately, this set has some major music issues. Nearly all of the original music played at Arnold's on the jukebox has been replaced. There are also some songs replaced on the radio.

The details about two of the Suzi Quatro songs are correct. "Believe" in "Richie Almost Dies" is only the piano track. They do show her singing on camera at the beginning in the original uncut episode, but that has been edited out on the DVD. I'm surprised they didn't include it with the vocal, since it seemed like it was specifically written for the show. "Johnny B. Goode" in "Rules to Date By" is replaced with an unknown instrumental. Strange to see it presented that way.

A few things I noticed:

"Nose for News" - Potsie briefly singing "Lady of Spain" is missing.

"Grandpa's Visit" - "Tequila" performed by the band is missing.

"My Favorite Orkan" - Richie and Mork briefly singing "Blueberry Hill" is missing.

The scenes edited out are pretty short.

Thanks for the info, Todd. It's disappointing to hear about all the music cuts. The Blueberry Hill cut is odd. Richie sings a few bars of that quite a bit during the series. I wonder if there are more quick cuts of that elsewhere? And the Lady of Spain cut-I can't imagine that would be an expensive license fee, but who knows? The Leather cut is odd as I thought that was written for the show as well. Johnny B. Goode and Tequila are not shocking but I wonder if they could have pulled it off had they wanted to?

Those radio and background cuts are just ridiculous.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan : 05-19-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #82
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell
Honestly, these insanely expensive music rights (along with the lawsuit) is what have stalled the release of this show. Does it seriously matter that songs heard in the background for a matter of seconds are replaced with generic music? CBS cleared the rights to all of leather's songs in the two parter and all of the Valentine's music, two episodes that people thought for sure would be edited. Other sitcoms have had large chunks of seasons axed out over music rights, but they've kept Happy Days largely intact. Blame these old artists who are still trying to make a killing on their old work for the edits. Happy Days S5 has been performing largely well on Amazon over the past few weeks, and personally I hope this means there's more to come.

Yes, it does matter to some people. The issue is that they used many of the same artists and songs in the fourth season. If they were able to clear it for the fourth season, why couldn't they do the same for the fifth season? This is all about charging as low as price as possible and maximizing their profits.

That lawsuit settlement was nearly two years ago. That was more about other merchandise, not just DVDs. They didn't get a huge amount. It was more about honoring their contract and receiving future royalties. The show has brought in much more than they have received.

Why did they make fans wait 5 1/2 years if they were going to release episodes with replaced music and edited scenes?

I would like to see more releases like Seasons 1 and 4. They have shown they are capable of releasing it the right way. Season 5 is just a sloppy release like some of their Family Ties seasons, Joanie Loves Chachi and recent Laverne & Shirley seasons.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #83
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by studd911
I new it i refused to by this dvd they messed everything up again like they did season 2 is this what we had waited a long time for i did not see them completing the rest of the series get ready for fans to give them hell i think i am going to write a letter to Shout Factory to have them to intervain quickly

There is nothing Shout Factory can do to intervene. Writing them would be a waste of time. They don't own the show, CBS does. Good or bad, CBS has restarted the DVD releases of this show, and whether we like the music cuts or not(and I sure as hell don't), it's obvious they'll likely continue producing the upcoming seasons, as long as this one sells. If it doesn't, it's dead in the water for good. I can't see Shout or anyone else picking up a stalled 11 season show with lots of music licensing to pay for. This wasn't a 4-5 season show that would be much less expensive in terms of music rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
Yes, it does matter to some people. The issue is that they used many of the same artists and songs in the fourth season. If they were able to clear it for the fourth season, why couldn't they do the same for the fifth season? This is all about charging as low as price as possible and maximizing their profits.

That lawsuit settlement was nearly two years ago. That was more about other merchandise, not just DVDs. They didn't get a huge amount. It was more about honoring their contract and receiving future royalties. The show has brought in much more than they have received.

Why did they make fans wait 5 1/2 years if they were going to release episodes with replaced music and edited scenes?

I would like to see more releases like Seasons 1 and 4. They have shown they are capable of releasing it the right way. Season 5 is just a sloppy release like some of their Family Ties seasons, Joanie Loves Chachi and recent Laverne & Shirley seasons.

Good points. I agree wholeheartedly. When they licensed that music for Season 4, why didn't they license it for beyond? Shortsighted and a poor area to cut costs if you ask me. This isn't some non-musical show with an incidental Beatles or Stones song playing on the radio in one episode. This show was full of music and it contributed greatly to the atmosphere of each episode, even when it morphed into a 70's sitcom that still claimed to be from the 1950's.

I know they have to price something at a point to maximize sales, but in my dreams, I wish they gave the option of complete, uncut episodes with all music as a high dollar option. I'd lay out $60-$120 per season for something like that. Leave the cheap release for the masses and give us the option. Obviously, the sales of high dollar sets would have to be high enough to recoup the music licensing fees, and they likely would not, so that's why my idea is disconnected from economic reality. Oh well, I can dream. As a former Laserdisc buyer, I don't mind sets that are high-priced and I don't want $25-40 sets if this is what it gets us. Those days are over, however.

I'm going to say something and I realize some will disagree and I respect that. It's not that I don't respect artists' rights or ownership rights to intellectual property(music, TV, movies, art, etc.). I certainly do. I think when it comes to television shows and movies produced before the era of home video, I don't think songs should have to be (re)licensed. I think the courts should err on the side of preserving the episode or film and either tell the rights holders "them's the breaks" or award a nominal settlement fee or royalty. However, I don't think the rights holders should be able to hold these releases hostage and demand outrageous fees for these songs which were already licensed in the past. There are songs that top $250,000 in license fees for TV and film!

Now, for films and TV shows produced after VHS/LD sales of TV shows to customers began, that's different. If the studios didn't put future home video in those contracts, then it falls on them. Although, I wouldn't even mind if the courts got involved and came up with a nominal fee system for those releases as well.

This hostage holding by rights holders is ridiculous. It has caused the butchering and complete absence of many shows on DVD. Most of these songs are not even owned by the original artist. Most are owned by music publishing companies whose whole existence is based on buying up the rights to thousands of songs for the sole purpose of profiting from licensing fees.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan : 05-20-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #84
studd911

Thumbs down

Getting to the point in which you were saying about Shout Factory i totally disagree with you and ill tell you why? The reason why is because they are a company who believes in giving the fans of what they want which has been proven because on there dvds they show lost footages and promo again that shows you that they care about what the fans want they did Webster that Paramount owned and i heard that they are doing WKRP hey if they can clear all of the music for that they can do it for anything because it goes back to what the fans want again CBS has did it to those who gets the dvd and trust me the complaints will come because if they hadn't learned anything from season 2 then i do not no what else to tell you again this is a complete mess and i wouldn't waste any money on a show that we have waited a long time for and i have said it once and will now say it again the late Mr C is rolling over in his grave mark my word when everybody post up negative reviews about this dvd set wherefore it will not sell then we all can kiss the rest of the seasons good bye
Old 05-20-2014, 12:55 AM   #85
studd911

If anybody has read Todd review it proves again that CBS has dropped the ball again like they did season 2 lets just face the reality they will not be releasing any more of the dvds which i hate to broke all of your hearts but we all should have saw this coming from a mile away, when everybody gets the dvds you are going to see so many negative reviews which will put a nail in there coffin they all that the fans will be pissed off now i am not buying anything else from cbs/paramount they have failed us again and what a disappointing factor we have waited a long time for this CBS Paramount as a studio you completely suck
Old 05-20-2014, 01:10 AM   #86
studd911

Its going to be very interesting to see all of the negative back clashed from season 5 when amazon customers gets anger and starts giving this dvd low marks and do not think for a second that CBS will not be liking of what they are about to get again i feel sorry for you all who has had there hopes up especially waiting for a long time now you see why other outside studios such as shout factory is doing ewhat they are doing fsace it cbs dvds of happy days are done
Old 05-20-2014, 01:20 AM   #87
anglemark10
Forum Regular

The fact is that even if Shout Factory wanted to take over this series and do it right, they can't do anything unless CBS licenses it to them.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:24 AM   #88
studd911

Again there is no use of them completing the rest of the series its basically over for the happy days dvds
Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #89
studd911

Lets all face it as well as calling it like it is the dvd is a complete mess
Old 05-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #90
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglemark10
The fact is that even if Shout Factory wanted to take over this series and do it right, they can't do anything unless CBS licenses it to them.

Exactly. I hate the way they butchered this release and I won't be buying it. However, like you said, Shout can do nothing unless CBS licenses it to them, and that's not going to happen.