Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #61
studd911

I am very happy that you want us to be buying the dvd but again it comes back to the series being intact with all of the original music especially what the band had did in the later season as well as the other songs from the other artist again if you want to pissed die hard fans off let cbs put season 5 out there with everything be edited out and cut trust there is going to be hell to pay meaning the tweets and the back clashed and if that would be the case if season 2 didn't teach them anything then i rather not see them completing non of the series and i still stand by that
Old 05-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #62
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

well I preordered mine months ago, waiting anxiously.

maybe the pictures are coming out upside-down because its from Australia?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #63
antman67
Forum Regular
The Fonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL
can u post pic so It not upside down lol I like it cool you got it early also wondering if it is un cut any missing scenes
Hope this help you.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #64
JH23
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman67
Hope this help you.

The picture showing the spine was taken flat on the table and probably upside-down when you guys were looking at them. I didn't realise that was happening. Thanks for helping out.

DVD 4 has a special feature titled "4 year Anniversary." It's only a clip show, not an anniversary show like the one the cast had in 1992. It's 22 minutes long.

The picture quality is fantastic. I remember the season 2 DVD had quite a bit of grain on one of the episodes but there is nothing like that on this DVD. I'm interested to hear about any missing music, if there is any. I've downloaded season 6 (on the verge of finishing downloading season 7) and I will say I want the season 6 DVD. Those episodes (through 13 episodes) are hilariously, probably even funnier than season 5. Richie's scene when he was Psycho Louis ins "The Claw Meets The Fonz" is one of the funniest scenes I have watched.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #65
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH23
DVD 4 has a special feature titled "4 year Anniversary." It's only a clip show, not an anniversary show like the one the cast had in 1992. It's 22 minutes long.

Only 22 minutes? Yikes! That's an actual episode of the series that aired 3/23/78. It should be roughly 25:10-25:30. Quite a few minutes cut. Out of all the episodes on the first 4 seasons on DVD, that has a shorter run time than all, iirc, save for the butchered Sticks Downey episode. They butchered the 3rd Anniversary show on the Season 4 DVD as well. I taped cut episodes from the HUB network and they had scenes not on the DVDs!

Considering the era, each episode, if uncut, should run roughly 25:05-25:30. If you're seeing run times in the 24:XX range and lower, it's cut. When a TV series is uncut, there is very little fluctuation in episode run times, usually no more than 1-20 seconds tops. This can be seen by reading reviews of various series sets reviewed on this site, among others.

What are the total minutes listed on the back of your package? You have 26 episodes, but episode 1 was double length. Basically, take the total minutes listed and divide by 27. TV shows had 25+ minute run times well into the 1980's. This season was '77-'78.

I'll wait for a review that lists the run times of each episode before I decide to buy.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #66
JH23
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Hogan
Only 22 minutes? Yikes! That's an actual episode of the series that aired 3/23/78. It should be roughly 25:10-25:30. Quite a few minutes cut. Out of all the episodes on the first 4 seasons on DVD, that has a shorter run time than all, iirc, save for the butchered Sticks Downey episode. They butchered the 3rd Anniversary show on the Season 4 DVD as well. I taped cut episodes from the HUB network and they had scenes not on the DVDs!

Considering the era, each episode, if uncut, should run roughly 25:05-25:30. If you're seeing run times in the 24:XX range and lower, it's cut. When a TV series is uncut, there is very little fluctuation in episode run times, usually no more than 1-20 seconds tops. This can be seen by reading reviews of various series sets reviewed on this site, among others.

This is really embarrassing, the 4th year anniversary special is actually 24.53 from the opening credits to the end of the special. I think I skipped the opening credits and about a minute into it I looked at the time remaining. But yes, it's actually 24.53. I'd be pretty lousy as a reviewer.

Quote:
What are the total minutes listed on the back of your package? You have 26 episodes, but episode 1 was double length. Basically, take the total minutes listed and divide by 27. TV shows had 25+ minute run times well into the 1980's. This season was '77-'78.

They aren't listed in minutes like season 1-4, rather Approx. 11 hours, 2 minutes.

Quote:
I'll wait for a review that lists the run times of each episode before I decide to buy.

Disc 1

Episode

1 - 25.10
2 - 25.23
3 - 25.06
4 - 25.38
5 - 25.38
6 - 25.36
7 - 25.13

Disc 2

Episode
1 - 25.35
2 - 25.38
3 - 25.39
4 - 25.39
5 - 25.27
6 - 25.17
7 - 25.37

Disc 3

Episode
1 - 25.36
2 - 25.25
3 - 25.27
4 - 25.29
5 - 25.37
6 - 25.38
7 - 25.37

Disc 4
1 - 25.18
2 - 25.40
3 - 25.38
4 - 25.30
5 - 25.33

Special Features:

4th Year Anniversary Special - 24.53.

After doing the count of 26 episodes, 7+7+7+5, I didn't realise the 4th Year Anniversary Special is one of the 27 episodes until I saw your post Colonel Hogan. Also the "Double Length" episode is Part 1 and Part 2 on the DVD as their own individual episodes. "Fonzie and Leather Tuscadero" on disc 2.

Also Speaking of Fonzie and Leather Tuscadero, can anyone explain to me why those two episodes would be titled "Fonzie: Rock Entrepreneur (Part 1)" and "Fonzie: Rock Entrepreneur (Part 2)." On the inside of the DVD case? Was that a syndicated title perhaps?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #67
maxwell
Frequent Poster

Awesome! It looks like they didn't cut any scenes! I had heard the fonzie and leather episode was complete, but I'm glad to see the Valentine's episode also looks complete as there's a lot of music in that one. If you don't mind me asking while I eagerly await for tomorrow, in the "do you want to dance" episode, towards the end when the girl is dancing and fonzie is secretly watching, they still play the an instrumental version of the Happy Days theme right?, I would assume there wouldn't be problems with this, but its just been bugging me and its a really cool tune. And thanks for posting all of the run times, it actually looks like cbs put a lot of effort into this one!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #68
JH23
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell
Awesome! It looks like they didn't cut any scenes! I had heard the fonzie and leather episode was complete, but I'm glad to see the Valentine's episode also looks complete as there's a lot of music in that one. If you don't mind me asking while I eagerly await for tomorrow, in the "do you want to dance" episode, towards the end when the girl is dancing and fonzie is secretly watching, they still play the an instrumental version of the Happy Days theme right?, I would assume there wouldn't be problems with this, but its just been bugging me and its a really cool tune. And thanks for posting all of the run times, it actually looks like cbs put a lot of effort into this one!

Yes, the instrumental version of Happy Days is played on that scene.

And you're welcome, I'm very happy I could help out a bit.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #69
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ

Unfortunately, this set has some major music issues. Nearly all of the original music played at Arnold's on the jukebox has been replaced. There are also some songs replaced on the radio.

The details about two of the Suzi Quatro songs are correct. "Believe" in "Richie Almost Dies" is only the piano track. They do show her singing on camera at the beginning in the original uncut episode, but that has been edited out on the DVD. I'm surprised they didn't include it with the vocal, since it seemed like it was specifically written for the show. "Johnny B. Goode" in "Rules to Date By" is replaced with an unknown instrumental. Strange to see it presented that way.

A few things I noticed:

"Nose for News" - Potsie briefly singing "Lady of Spain" is missing.

"Grandpa's Visit" - "Tequila" performed by the band is missing.

"My Favorite Orkan" - Richie and Mork briefly singing "Blueberry Hill" is missing.

The scenes edited out are pretty short.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #70
studd911

Hey i am very happy that every body is happy with the dvd but again will all of the music be on there including the songs that the band did somebody had posted up where it said that the song that Leather had played and on Richie Almost Dies is not there only her playing the piano without the lyrics and the Vocals and i heard the Johnny B Good is missing i cannot wait to see how Todd breaks the dvd review on the website to see whats is completed
Old 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #71
studd911

I new it i refused to by this dvd they messed everything up again like they did season 2 is this what we had waited a long time for i did not see them completing the rest of the series get ready for fans to give them hell i think i am going to write a letter to Shout Factory to have them to intervain quickly
Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #72
studd911

Todd just confirmed that there are music on the dvd which is missing i pity those who wasted there money on this lack of product i new that cbs couldn't at all be trusted im writing a letter to shout factory to take control and based on this they will not complete the rest of the series this was the straw that broke the camel back
Old 05-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #73
zypherix
Forum Regular

They did mess up seasons 2-4 (check the DVD reviews) and are known for editing out music in pretty much every release. People arent even surprised anymore. Its not like Shout Factory would be able to clear more music, they'd have to work with the masters CBS would give them.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #74
studd911

I think that Shout Factory would do a better job then what CBS is doing remember paramount owned the tv show Webster that shout factoay had did they would clear all of the music because they did leave it to beavier the same way even though it was released from another Time Life would do a better job then cbs faced it the screwed up again
Old 05-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #75
studd911

Confused The Late Tom Bosely AKA Mr C Has Got To Be Rolling Over In His Grave

Based on CBS yet again messing up the dvd The Late Tom Bosely AKA Mr C Has Got To Be Rolling Over In His Grave