Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-31-2014, 03:21 PM   #31
studd911

Thumbs up MUSIC IS A MUST ESPECIALLY ON SEASON 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL
I don't care about the original music I just care about the show being released cant wait to see our gang episode unedited where Richie first met fonzie

I totally disagree with you on not having the music on season 5 intact and let me tell you why? Happy Days was a caption and a illustration of what the 1950ís and the much later 1960ís were like and even though non of us were born in that era is described how huge the music was because that was the 50ís, and without having all of the original music intact especially on many of occasions that the band did, it will affect the editing process just as season 2 was done wherefore they meaning CBS/Paramount had took a lot of heat. We have waited a very long time for HD5 to be released and I rather see all that was cut throughout the years in syndication to fully restored and unedited just has it was originally shown in prime time every Tuesday night on ABC and the music plays a huge role which is all I am saying

Last edited by studd911 : 01-31-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:21 AM   #32
JH23
Frequent Poster

CBS Home Entertainment have posted about this season releasing on DVD on their Facebook page. There even looks to be a product page on there too, "http:/Cbshe.com/HappyS5" but that redirects to Amazon.com.

That's the confirmation I needed. Up to now I was still sceptical about this news seeing as we didn't get CBS's confirmation on TvShowsOnDvd and all we have is a DVD cover, which for all we know could be fan made. But with CBS confirming on their Facebook page I am a lot happier.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #33
studd911

Thumbs up CBS Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH23
CBS Home Entertainment have posted about this season releasing on DVD on their Facebook page. There even looks to be a product page on there too, "http:/Cbshe.com/HappyS5" but that redirects to Amazon.com.

That's the confirmation I needed. Up to now I was still sceptical about this news seeing as we didn't get CBS's confirmation on TvShowsOnDvd and all we have is a DVD cover, which for all we know could be fan made. But with CBS confirming on their Facebook page I am a lot happier.
As i have said on last week that by them having three months to either clear all of the music as well as restoring all of the original footage which will prevent us from jumping down there throats especially if everything is not included which im sure they no that already so we might just have to wait and see
Old 02-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #34
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
I need to buy season 4 before season 5 is released.
i need to buy seasons 3 and 4 before 5 is released
Old 02-04-2014, 02:08 AM   #35
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

check amazon.com before prices go sky high
Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #36
anglemark10
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by studd911
As i have said on last week that by them having three months to either clear all of the music as well as restoring all of the original footage which will prevent us from jumping down there throats especially if everything is not included which im sure they no that already so we might just have to wait and see
Chances are that if they've announced a release date like they have, anything they're doing with restoration and clearing music has already been done.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #37
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglemark10
Chances are that if they've announced a release date like they have, anything they're doing with restoration and clearing music has already been done.

Yeah, I strongly doubt they'd announce the release and then cancel it because they hadn't crossed their t's and dotted their i's.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #38
studd911

Hey I was just reading the reviews from Joanie Loves Chachi and I love the way that Todd had broke down every episode even though the series didn't last long, I read how some of the songs that there band did has been removed which comes back to HD5 which is very concerning to me because nobody really knows what CBS is doing as I have said if some music has been removed from the jukebox and the band there company will be in serious trouble because this is what we have been waiting because if the music is not included then the scenes are messed up and we all have seen on what they did with season 2 which I never bother buying again we just have to ewait and see
Old 02-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #39
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

These episodes will be edited with replacement music and missing scenes. I'll bet a year's pay on that.

Happy Days has been missing original music since the Season 2 release. There were edited episodes and missing music on Season 3 as well as Season 4. Three of the episodes on the Season 3 set were butchered: The one with Stick's introduction(missing roughly 3:30 minutes, the episode introducing Laverne and Shirley, and the 2nd Anniversary Show. There are other edits as well. I taped the Stick's episode and the Laverne and Shirley intro episode off The Hub in November and compared them to the Happy Days DVD set. The Hub episodes had scenes missing from the DVDs!! Sad. Normal customers buy DVDs of TV shows to see the episodes uncut and with no commercials. Why buy something that has scenes missing that I can still see on TV?

On the upcoming Season 5 set, in addition to all the typical background songs, you have the Valentine's Day show that was all music and the two Leather Tuscadero episodes with all the Suzie Quattro music, then all the cover songs by Richie, Potsie, and Ralph. I can't say it will all be missing, but you can bet a high percentage will be gone.

Often, CBS will not go to the trouble of replacement music, they'll just delete a scene or part of a scene. It's a crime, in my opinion. Look at the Laverne and Shirley release with the section just chopped out with The Beatles song, among many other scenes. Instead of muting the song or replacing it, they just chopped part of the scene.

I used to be a lot more hardcore on music replacement, especially on shows like this where music was a big part of the show's atmosphere. I used to be "music replacement=no sale". Realizing the highway robbery that music publishers ask for some of these songs, I can see the studio's point on some of these. However, CBS is pathetic in the way they go about it. It's one thing if you have to replace a background song because someone wants $250,000 for it. I can understand a substitution. CBS doesn't always go that route. Often, instead of finding a cheap song or a no-cost instrumental they already own, they'll just delete a scene or part of a scene. In other scenes of various shows, they'll wipe out scenes of the characters singing the songs, even a few lines. Sorry, but all the scenes need to be preserved. You don't cut scenes or dialogue, in the form of spoken word or singing. In the case of characters doing a cover or just singing in the car, at home, or anywhere, you have to pony up the money for those songs, or just don't release the show at all.

CBS butchered Cheers to the point that I quit buying one of my favorite shows after Season 3.

The Joanie Loves Chachi set has edited episodes. The 23:xx and 24:xx minute run times prove that as does the list of missing music already posted here.

The Andy Griffith Show is a good example. It has more than one edited episode but the known butchered episode, The Darlings are Coming, is missing over 3 minutes on the DVD. The saddest part is, and this shows you how little CBS researches a song before dropping it, that two of the songs they deleted were both songs already in the public domain. They were covers of two public domain songs performed by the Dillard's, playing The Darlings, in the episodes. In their capacity as actors, they sang two public domain songs, and CBS still dropped them.

Having worked for a television network, let me just tell you that TV show episodes have very consistent run times. The networks sell a finite amount of ad time per show and use a set amount of time for network promos during the breaks. When you buy DVDs and see a fluctuation of more than 15-30 seconds on run times, it's a good bet that they're edited episodes.

As a rule of thumb, television shows from the 60's to at least the mid-80's should be around 25:30 each episode. Some 50's shows ran closer to 26 minutes, as did 60's shows like Bewitched when they had introductions to an episode. If you see episodes from that era with run times under 25:17 minutes, it's a sound bet that you've got an edited episode. Run times of 24:xx are a dead giveaway, with the exception of some NBC shows. Networks sold a finite number of minutes to advertisers for each episode. That's why on DVD releases of series we know to be uncut, the run times are so consistent, with each episode running 25:17-25:32. Check out the Hogan's Heroes DVD sets for good examples of that consistency.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan : 02-10-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #40
studd911

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Hogan
These episodes will be edited with replacement music with missing scenes. I'll bet a year's pay on that.

Happy Days has been missing original music since the Season 2 release. There were edited episodes and missing music on Season 3 as well as Season 4. Three of the episodes on the Season 3 set were butchered: The one with Stick's introduction(missing roughly 3:30 minutes, the episode introducing Laverne and Shirley, and the 2nd Anniversary Show. There are other edits as well. I taped the Stick's episode and the Laverne and Shirley intro episode off The Hub in November and compared them to the Happy Days DVD set. The Hub episodes had scenes missing from the DVDs!! Sad.

On the upcoming Season 5 set, you have the Valentine's Day show that was all music and the two Leather Tuscadero episodes with all the Suzie Quattro music, then all the cover songs by Richie, Potsie, and Ralph. I can't say it will all be missing, but you can bet a high percentage will be gone.

Often, CBS will not go to the trouble of replacement music, they'll just delete a scene or part of a scene. Look at the Laverne and Shirley release with the section just chopped out with The Beatles song. Instead of muting the song or replacing it, they just chopped part of the scene.

The Joanie Loves Chachi set has edited episodes. The 24:xx minute run times prove that as does the list of missing music already published.

The Andy Griffith Show is a good example. It has more than one edited episode but the known butchered episode, The Darlings are Coming, is missing over 3 minutes on the DVD. The saddest part is, and this shows you how little CBS researches a song before dropping it, that two of the songs they deleted were both songs already in the public domain. They were covers of two public domain songs performed by the Dillard's, playing The Darlings, in the episodes. In their capacity as actors, they sang two public domain songs, and CBS still dropped them.

As a rule of thumb, television shows from the 60's to at least the mid-80's should be around 25:30 each episode. Some 50's shows ran closer to 26 minutes. If you see episodes from that era with run times of under 25:17 minutes, it's a sound bet that you've got an edited episode. Run times of 24:xx are a dead giveaway. Networks sold a finite number of minutes to advertisers for each episode. That's why on DVD releases of series we know to be uncut, the run times are so consistent, with each episode running 25:17-25:32.

Again if HD5 IS missing all of the music then CBS has two choices either stop making the dvd sets or allow either shout Factory or Milles Creek to licences the dvds for them like they did with Webster because if you want something done you have to do it yourself and CBS will be pissing off a whole lot of fans
Old 02-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #41
Colonel Hogan
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Again if HD5 IS missing all of the music then CBS has two choices either stop making the dvd sets or allow either shout Factory or Milles Creek to licences the dvds for them like they did with Webster because if you want something done you have to do it yourself and CBS will be pissing off a whole lot of fans

I don't think it will be missing all of its music. That's not what I said. Seasons 3 and 4 had a surprising amount of music intact. However, those Season 5 episodes I mentioned have a lot of music to license and I don't see it happening, especially when you consider how long it's been since the Season 4 release. They'll be looking to keep this set at a low cost. The long gap since the Season 4 release is supposedly due to music and low sales of Happy Days on DVD. Also, Seasons 3 and 4 contained some badly edited episodes. Considering how many Happy Days episodes clock in at 25:3x, which is what a show from that era should clock in at, when you see times like 25:0x and 24:xx, you can bet they're edited. Look back at some of the review threads here. It boggles the mind at some of the little trims from episodes like "The Motorcycle", "A Date with Fonzie", "Fonzie's New Friend", "The 2nd Anniversary Show", "The Third Anniversary Show", and "Fonzie Loves Pinky Parts 1 and 2", to name a few.

Some may disagree, but for me, when I see episodes under roughly 25:17 or so, I feel there are edits.

I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been disappointed with the DVD sets of Seasons 2-4 due to all the edits and the terrible music replacement on Season 2. I'll await the review here before I buy this time. The guys here do a great job at putting episode running times in their reviews and giving detailed lists of music in each episode. That's greatly appreciated, by the way.

I really want all the Ron Howard seasons, even though Season 5 is where the over-the-top episodes really began. There were still some good episodes here and there during seasons 5-7, just far fewer than Seasons 1-4. Even when the episodes got out of hand, the show had great characters that kept me watching, even if the stories started going south.

Last edited by Colonel Hogan : 02-10-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #42
studd911

I still say that CBS will have problems if not from the original airing is included again if it turns out like season 2 then to me there wouldn't be any more reason to continue the series wherefore again it comes back to what the fans wants and I give Todd Fuller and his partner Pavan credit because breaking down the review on this website shows whats good and whats bad and if CBS took this long to put season 5 out then they owe us for we do not owe them and whatever they edited out will hurt the series where nobody is going to buy it and you better see the reviews on amazon because people are not having it and I pray and hope that CBS will allow companies like shout factory or mills creek to present the series the way it should be and in fairness you want to put something out there that's going to sell and not the lack of profit because nobody would want to get it which is a reality

Last edited by studd911 : 02-08-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #43
JH23
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I still say that CBS will have problems if not from the original airing is included again if it turns out like season 2 then to me there wouldn't be any more reason to continue the series wherefore again it comes back to what the fans wants and I give Todd Fuller and his partner Pavan credit because breaking down the review on this website shows whats good and whats bad and if CBS took this long to put season 5 out then they owe us for we do not owe them and whatever they edited out will hurt the series where nobody is going to buy it and you better see the reviews on amazon because people are not having it and I pray and hope that CBS will allow companies like shout factory or mills creek to present the series the way it should be and in fairness you want to put something out there that's going to sell and not the lack of profit because nobody would want to get it which is a reality

I know it may take a few years but I think CBS/Paramount will finish the entire series on DVD (then they'll likely piss us off with complete editions every other year).

Selling the series to Shout or Mill Creek was the easiest thing to do but since CBS/Paramount didn't do that after all these years I think its a safe bet that the series on DVD will remain their own property and they'll continue to release seasons. Most likely edited and with their own blend of making people wait a very long time for them.

Tbh I really don't mind if the seasons are edited. I was born in 1983, so never watched the original run of the series and even on Australian TV the episodes are edited going by the episode times Colonel Hogan has posted. So I couldn't spot the difference if an episode is edited or not.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #44
FonzForever
Forum Regular
A classic

If they include the Suzi Quatro songs and the edits are in line with the last two releases I'm OK with it. Reason is simple" picture clarity. I still have my VHS copies of later seasons I taped off Nick at Nite and TV Land. Recently I wanted to see an ep from Season 6 so I dug out the tape. While I enjoyed it it was a huge step down from the cleanup any DVD release gets. I've come up to accept, grudgingly that music rights will always be an issue with this or any release. I was just happy to see it was being released at all really, I thought with everything that's gone on Happy Days on DVD was dead.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #45
studd911

Hey I just hope for CBS sake that they give us the fans of what we have been waiting for because if not they are going to bust hell wide open meaning presenting a lack of dvd causing fans to either boycott or stop buying there products the choice is up to them because they need us and we do not need them and that's all im about to say about that