Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Newhart links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Newhart Photo Gallery

Newhart - The Complete First Season

Buy Newhart - The Complete First Season on DVD
Newhart - The Complete Second Season

Buy Newhart - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Newhart - The Complete Third Season

Buy Newhart - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Newhart - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Newhart
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Newhart - The Complete Second Season DVD Review

Dick, Joanna, George, and Kirk are back in Newhart - The Complete Second Season! And in this season, the cast changes a bit as Julia Duffy joins the cast as the new maid Stephanie, who grew up with a silver spoon (only to now be the one washing those silver spoons as she tries to gain experience in the "real world").

For those unfamiliar with the series, it was Bob Newhart's second successful journey into the sitcom world. After playing Chicago psychologist Bob Hartley in the '70s sitcom The Bob Newhart Show, he came back with this series in 1982, where he is now Dick Loudon, a New Yorker who runs a small bed and breakfast in Vermont with his wife Joanna. Naturally, it isn't all smooth sailing, and as the series progresses, it evolves into something along the lines of an '80s Green Acres as Dick has to deal with the crazy things in his world every day, even as they seem to make less and less sense as the days go by. The first season, even though it did well in the ratings, had less of the "crazy" aspect of the series, but it really started to kick in with this season, where the series really began to leave a legacy of its own.

Read our review by skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/newhart...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
zypherix
Forum Regular

The two episodes clocking in around 22:20 are definatly edited.
I have unedited copies from canadian Comedy Gold channel and they both run about 24:00.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
Wiseguy2
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
The episodes on set mostly seem to be unedited... but there are a few on here that I'm pretty sure are syndicated episodes simply based upon shorter runtimes (by two whole minutes) and including the syndicated version of the opening credits (which runs about 15 seconds shorter). The episodes in question are "Kirk Ties One On" and "Leave it to the Beavers." While I do not have unedited versions to compare these to in order to say with 100% certainty that they are edited, I think it is reasonable to say that they are almost definitely syndicated versions, but we'll let fans judge for themselves.

Some episodes may indeed be edited but don't base this on the opening credits. There were always two versions of the credits on the original CBS episodes, a long and a short version. The long version was rarely seen in the first seasons, then disappeared during the middle years and returned in the later years more frequently. Although the episodes with the long version may be uncut it is incorrect to assume the ones with the shorter version are edited.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Thanks for the review! I can't wait til this comes out, I've been looking forward to season 2 for years.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Wiseguy2
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
Dick, Joanna, George, and Kirk are back in Newhart - The Complete Second Season! And in this season, the cast changes a bit as Julia Duffy joins the cast as the new maid Stephanie, who grew up with a silver spoon (only to now be the one washing those silver spoons as she tries to gain experience in the "real world").

For those unfamiliar with the series, it was Bob Newhart's second successful journey into the sitcom world. After playing Chicago psychologist Bob Hartley in the '70s sitcom The Bob Newhart Show, he came back with this series in 1982, where he is now Dick Loudon, a New Yorker who runs a small bed and breakfast in Vermont with his wife Joanna. Naturally, it isn't all smooth sailing, and as the series progresses, it evolves into something along the lines of an '80s Green Acres as Dick has to deal with the crazy things in his world every day, even as they seem to make less and less sense as the days go by. The first season, even though it did well in the ratings, had less of the "crazy" aspect of the series, but it really started to kick in with this season, where the series really began to leave a legacy of its own.

Read our review by skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/newhart...dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.

I may be in the minority but I prefer the first two seasons. I liked the characters of Kirk and Leslie. It didn't help that I heard the rumor (fact?) that it was Newhart himself that wanted Kirk out. Leslie may have been bland but I found Stephanie to be too annoying. Peter Scolari was ok but his character grew to be somewhat annoying as well. And as much as I liked Larry, Daryl and Daryl, their constant appearances began to be too much not to mention the audience reaction as if Fonzie walked in (although it was good move to have them take over the cafe if Kirk HAD to be written out). If that's not bad enough, even at the time I realized the final season (except for the classic finale) was mostly a time waster with hardly any real laughs. Perhaps Newhart should have ended this after 6 seasons like his first sitcom.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
quincywagstaff
Frequent Poster

During the second season, Newhart and the writers decided that they wanted to add a workplace setting for him to add more storyline possibilities so they gave him his own TV show. Peter Scolari was perfect as his phony, shallow producer and his character was perfectly matched with Julia Duffy's self-absorbed rich girl character. So my take is that Kirk was written out mainly because once Leslie was gone (and after he married Cindy), there just wasn't a lot more millage left in his character. (Plus the unexpected popularity of Larry, Darryl and Darryl meant the show had to find a way to get them involved in the Loudon's world on a regular basis.) I also loved Steven Kampmann and was sorry to see him go, but in retrospect, I think the show made the right decision by taking the show in new directions with the TV station and LD&D's takeover of the Cafe.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

It was so much fun watching these episodes again! I can't wait for season 3! Kudos to Shout! for listening to the fans!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
principehomura
Forum Regular
80s/90s tv fan

Location: SEA, NY, CHI, COL | WA, BOS, BAL, MIA | KY, VT | Twin Peaks, Lanford, Dillon, Sunnydale, Stars Hollow | Springfield, Duckburg | Everwood

I'm watching season 2.
Jut five episodes and you can clearly see that the authors are changing lots of things.
I still haven't adjusted to Stephanie (and I'm missing Leslie), and Kirk is slowly fading away.
But yesterday I've seen the episode with the play The girl from Manhattan and it's one of the funniest, not on Newhart but of every sitcom.

Favs:
Frasier, Friends, Roseanne, Family Ties, The Nanny
The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Buffy, Gilmore Girls, Friday Night Lights
Twin Peaks, The Wire, Deadwood, Justified, Miami Vice
Old 07-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
PhoenixAcres

Quote:
Originally Posted by principehomura
Kirk is slowly fading away.
I've noticed this season they were really reaching when it came to Kirk. The writers were coming up with the most random reasons for him to pop in for a few minutes and justify his status as a "starring" character. You could tell his role in the series was on shaky ground and I sort of felt sorry for him. Still, he did have a few highlights this season, the best of which may be his wedding episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by principehomura
But yesterday I've seen the episode with the play The girl from Manhattan and it's one of the funniest, not on Newhart but of every sitcom.
Agreed! That one is hilarious from beginning to end. Classic Newhart.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
principehomura
Forum Regular
80s/90s tv fan

Location: SEA, NY, CHI, COL | WA, BOS, BAL, MIA | KY, VT | Twin Peaks, Lanford, Dillon, Sunnydale, Stars Hollow | Springfield, Duckburg | Everwood

Saw some other episodes and still loving it.
Now I'm adjusted to Stephanie, and Kirk gained back some screen time with some love interests.
Feeling and setting are still the very best thing. I read some 'spoilers', never having seen it before, and I hope the changes that are gonna be introduced will not spoil these things!