Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Diff'rent Strokes Online / Diff'rent Strokes links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Dana Plato Yahoo Group / Diff'rent Strokes Photo Gallery

Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete First Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete First Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Second Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Third Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Diff'rent Strokes - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Diff'rent Strokes
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
FuriosityShell
Forum Regular
FuriosityShell

Default Which two-part episode scared you the most?

Which two-part episode of "Diff'rent Strokes" seem the most frightening?

"The Bicycle Man" where Arnold and Dudley hang out after school with the owner of the local bicycle shop Mr. Horton, who is a pedophile.

"Hitchhiking" where Arnold and Kimberly end up hitchhiking and are picked by a man named Bill who takes them to his house and ties up Arnold and tries to rape Kimberly.

"Sam's Missing" where Sam is kidnapped by a man who's grieving over the loss of his son and taken to the man's house as his new "son."

I think it's a toss-up between the Hitchhiking episode and Sam's Missing episode. Because they were most dangerous. I don't think Mr. Horton would've actually hurt Arnold or Dudley or anything. I think he was just a sick and sneaky man with horrible intentions, but he didn't seem like he would try to harm them.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Mace Dolex

Probably the "Sam's Missing" ones because the actress playing Maggie gave a pretty convincing performance of a sobbing mother.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Nighthawk76
Forum Veteran
Rachel Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex
Probably the "Sam's Missing" ones because the actress playing Maggie gave a pretty convincing performance of a sobbing mother.

I agree. That's one of the reasons I think Mary Ann Mobley was a better Maggie than Dixie Carter.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk76
I agree. That's one of the reasons I think Mary Ann Mobley was a better Maggie than Dixie Carter.

Really? Mace and Night hawk, I'd like to hear more about why you think she was better.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I always felt the Bicycle man episode was weird. Why create a episode like that?

I make sure I skip that one in syndication
Old 02-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #6
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
I always felt the Bicycle man episode was weird. Why create a episode like that?

The idea was to educate children about stranger dangers.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
Mace Dolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE
Really? Mace and Night hawk, I'd like to hear more about why you think she was better.
Well I wasn't saying that Mary Ann Mobley was a better Maggie than Dixie, in fact MAM was just average at best playing her, Dixie Carter was best I guess because she was the original.

What I meant was that the "Sam's Missing" episodes left an impression on me because as a kid back then it scared the crap out of me and MAM's acting all hysterical and sobbing was unnerving to me.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
ThomasE
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex
Well I wasn't saying that Mary Ann Mobley was a better Maggie than Dixie, in fact MAM was just average at best playing her, Dixie Carter was best I guess because she was the original.

What I meant was that the "Sam's Missing" episodes left an impression on me because as a kid back then it scared the crap out of me and MAM's acting all hysterical and sobbing was unnerving to me.

OK. Point taken. I see what you mean. I kinda of thought the same thing when I was younger.

Take note some of you guys. People can have a conversation respectfully on topics whether they agree of disagree.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 AM   #9
TMC
Forum Veteran

What's incidental is that Encore Black for the past two days, showed the "Hitchhiker" two-parter. I find if funny that for an otherwise family friend show like Diff'rent Strokes (even though I understand what the producers' intent was, to educate) they had a lot of inherently traumatizing and disturbing "very special" episodes. Why did all of these episodes have to involve the Drummond--Jackson kids getting kidnapped!

Last edited by TMC : 06-13-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
Hughsgirl
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriosityShell
Which two-part episode of "Diff'rent Strokes" seem the most frightening?

"The Bicycle Man" where Arnold and Dudley hang out after school with the owner of the local bicycle shop Mr. Horton, who is a pedophile.

"Hitchhiking" where Arnold and Kimberly end up hitchhiking and are picked by a man named Bill who takes them to his house and ties up Arnold and tries to rape Kimberly.

"Sam's Missing" where Sam is kidnapped by a man who's grieving over the loss of his son and taken to the man's house as his new "son."

I think it's a toss-up between the Hitchhiking episode and Sam's Missing episode. Because they were most dangerous. I don't think Mr. Horton would've actually hurt Arnold or Dudley or anything. I think he was just a sick and sneaky man with horrible intentions, but he didn't seem like he would try to harm them.

I assume when you mentioned that you didn't think that Mr. Horton wouldn't have hurt the boys then you meant physically? I hope that's what you meant because I have to say that he indeed harmed them by giving them alcohol, asking them to sneak around and lie to their parents, have them watch kinky cartoons and look at adult pictures. And, his intensions were VERY HARMFUL but thankfully the police got there in time but not before he gave Dudley some kind of pill to make him sleepy so he could no doubt touch him or full on rape him. I sat down with my 10 year old niece to watch all of these episodes after finding out she liked the show. I wanted to be sure that she knew about this garbage out there. There is nothing smarter than arming kids with knowledge and not just by words, but by epsiodes such as these on any show. I think DS did a fantastic job at proving their points, although not easy to watch.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Mace Dolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
What's incidental is that Encore Black for the past two days, showed the "Hitchhiker" two-parter. I find if funny that for an otherwise family friend show like Diff'rent Strokes (even though I understand what the producers' intent was, to educate) they had a lot of inherently traumatizing and disturbing "very special" episodes. Why did all of these episodes have to involve the Drummond--Jackson kids getting kidnapped!
Having the regular stars of the show seeing them in danger felt more logical storywise than having a one-off character who the audience isn't invested in getting kidnapped.

Would minor characters like Robbie, Lisa or Kathy being in the same situation get the same emotional impact? meh we don't know.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

I have no desire to watch the Mr. Horton ep because it's too creepy
Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
FuriosityShell
Forum Regular
FuriosityShell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughsgirl
I assume when you mentioned that you didn't think that Mr. Horton wouldn't have hurt the boys then you meant physically? I hope that's what you meant because I have to say that he indeed harmed them by giving them alcohol, asking them to sneak around and lie to their parents, have them watch kinky cartoons and look at adult pictures. And, his intensions were VERY HARMFUL but thankfully the police got there in time but not before he gave Dudley some kind of pill to make him sleepy so he could no doubt touch him or full on rape him. I sat down with my 10 year old niece to watch all of these episodes after finding out she liked the show. I wanted to be sure that she knew about this garbage out there. There is nothing smarter than arming kids with knowledge and not just by words, but by epsiodes such as these on any show. I think DS did a fantastic job at proving their points, although not easy to watch.

Yeah, I mean that Mr. Horton seemed like he wouldn't hurt them physically or trap them there like Sam's kidnapper or Bill did. But the fact that he didn't hurt them doesn't make it any less sick. Especially when you think about the fact that Arnold and Dudley trusted him and he took advantage of their trust in order to try and molest them. That's very disgusting to me. But I like The Bicycle Man episodes more than I like the other ones because The Bicycle Man is informative and funny at the same time. The other ones are too serious, but then again how can you make episodes about kidnapping and rape funny? lol
Old 07-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriosityShell
Yeah, I mean that Mr. Horton seemed like he wouldn't hurt them physically or trap them there like Sam's kidnapper or Bill did. But the fact that he didn't hurt them doesn't make it any less sick. Especially when you think about the fact that Arnold and Dudley trusted him and he took advantage of their trust in order to try and molest them. That's very disgusting to me. But I like The Bicycle Man episodes more than I like the other ones because The Bicycle Man is informative and funny at the same time. The other ones are too serious, but then again how can you make episodes about kidnapping and rape funny? lol

What was funny about the Bicycle Man?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
FuriosityShell
Forum Regular
FuriosityShell

To be honest, I haven't seen the episodes in about two years, but I remember laughing at some of Arnold's reactions to the cartoons, but I don't remember laughing once at The Hitchhikers or Sam's Missing. I'm not saying The Bicycle Man was LOL funny but there were some humorous one-liners if I remember. I'll have to re-watch it.