Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hazel links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hazel Photo Gallery

Hazel - The Complete First Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete First Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Second Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Third Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season

Buy Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1960s Sitcoms > Hazel
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
TJ
Administrator
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TJ
Default Hazel - The Complete Fifth and Final Season DVD Review

Hazel returns to DVD one last time in Hazel - The Complete Fifth Season! But this time, she is coming alone (although Harold is still with her), as George and Dorothy Baxter move to Baghdad for a new job for George, and Hazel becomes the new housekeeper for George's brother and his wife. The reason for this change? The series was canceled by NBC, but CBS decided to pick it upů except they wanted a few changes to reach a younger demographic. Now, all 29 episodes of this "new" Hazel are available on DVD from Shout! Factory.

Read our review by skees53 here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/hazelseason5dvdreview.html

Please post any questions or comments about this set.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Lynn Borden is insanely hot as Barbara Baxter. Great to have her season released...!

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
Lynn Borden is insanely hot as Barbara Baxter.

LOL I agree with you wholeheartedly on that.

Excellent review by skees53, nice job. Glad to see that all the episodes seem to be uncut this time, all running over 25 minutes. The sheepdog episode is shortest, running 25:09, if this episode has an edit it's very minimal, so I won't complain. If the audio and video quality is a bit below par, I can deal with that, it's just great that this season is out on DVD with the complete episodes. I never expected Shout Factory to put effort into restoration of the Hazel episodes anyway. Thanks to Shout Factory for completing Hazel on DVD, I should have my season 5 set soon, it has been shipped and is on the way.

I am curious to find out if the episode opening titles will utilize both the umbrella and telephone openings, also if the Screen Gems logo appears at the end of the episodes.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Hazel Anyday
Forum Regular

Question What if?

I haven't gotten my set yet, but I have all the others. I have never quite gotten why Shout wasn't given access to the Columbia/Sony vaults where the original films are. If you've seen Shout's release of Kojak and marvel as I do at the absolute pristine condition of the Kojak films then I don't get why Columbia couldn't do as Universal did with Kojak and allow Shout access to the vaults rather than video copies. As for the Columbia studio films, I just know Hazel must exist in those Sony vaults in the same pristine condition as their vaults reveal with Gidget, I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitched. Hazel comes from the same time period, I know that the Hazel masters couldn't have deteriorated so much while the same time period masters of Gidget & Bewitched look perfect. I sure wish Sony would do the right thing and release the entire Hazel series in a 'straight from the pristine vaults' version. Even though I have all the commercial releases and at least 6 different sets of Hazel recorded I'd buy the pristine vault collection of the complete series set. Will this ever happen? Reality intrudes, probably not.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
retroTVfan4ever

Yay, got my 5th season DVD today. I have to take a break now from watching Mary Hartman and start watching some Hazel episodes. LOL
Old 01-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
TeeVeeCloset

Default An Ann Jillian mention would have been nice for season 5 review

Though I enjoy all the reviews here, I feel they usually are reviews of the series instead of the DVD set released, such as the poster who asked about opening titles/credits,studio logo ends, etc.

What was sorely missing yet one of several episodes mentioned is the part of the secretary who was played by a very young & lovely Ann Jillian, who went on to fame in the ABC & first run syndicated series "It's A Living" a most requested series for DVD or reruns on these boards.

Ann is featured in at least 8 or so episodes from Hazel season 5.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
retroTVfan4ever

So far I've just watched the 1st episode on disc 1, it has the telephone opening and the Screen Gems S from hell at the end. Very cool. As skees mentioned, the video quality is a tad on the dark side. Will be watching more episodes soon.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
retroTVfan4ever

Have watched a few more episodes, so far all of them have the telephone opening credits, so maybe Shout Factory utilized this opening for all 29 episodes. Picture quality is good but a little dark, colors tend to be faded and pale, but I haven't noticed any audio problems, sound seems mostly crisp and clear. The sheepdog episode does not have the Screen Gems S from hell at the end, that probably explains the slightly shorter run time.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

My favorite opening from that season is the one with Hazel offering umbrellas, as it looks like rain. I hope that's on there...!

Ann Jillian to me is unrecognizable in those shows, at least as most of us have come to know her -- I mean she was lovely, but looked quite different than the average fan might expect. Certainly a "plus" that she appeared though, regardless...!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
My favorite opening from that season is the one with Hazel offering umbrellas, as it looks like rain. I hope that's on there...!

So far I haven't seen it, I have yet to watch all the episodes, but I suspect Shout Factory used the telephone opening for all 29 episodes.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
retroTVfan4ever

OK, I scanned thru the beginnings of all the episodes, and as I suspected, all 29 episodes have the telephone opening credits. This is a minor blemish, of course it would have been better if they had the telephone openings on the episodes of discs 1 and 2, and the umbrella openings on the episodes of discs 3 and 4, but it is what it is. I'm just glad to have this season on DVD with the uncut episodes. Season 5 is a good season, not quite the same without Don DeFore and Whitney Blake, but Ray Fulmer and lovely Lynn Borden filled the void well.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
McGillicuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroTVfan4ever
OK, I scanned thru the beginnings of all the episodes, and as I suspected, all 29 episodes have the telephone opening credits. This is a minor blemish, of course it would have been better if they had the telephone openings on the episodes of discs 1 and 2, and the umbrella openings on the episodes of discs 3 and 4, but it is what it is. I'm just glad to have this season on DVD with the uncut episodes. Season 5 is a good season, not quite the same without Don DeFore and Whitney Blake, but Ray Fulmer and lovely Lynn Borden filled the void well.

That surprises me about the "umbrella" opening being missing. Up til this season, they've been very good about having the right opening for each episode. Well, at least Season 5 was released!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
retroTVfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
That surprises me about the "umbrella" opening being missing. Up til this season, they've been very good about having the right opening for each episode. Well, at least Season 5 was released!

Yea, I don't know what happened there, someone from Shout Factory would have to explain why the same opening was used for all the episodes. But as you said, at least the season got released. I still have my season 5 recordings from Antenna TV, maybe I'll hang on to those because several of those episodes have the umbrella opening.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
Kasey
Forum Regular

I was hoping they'd have both, but I still have the umbrella opening on my VHS tapes and mpg's. Actually I prefer the telephone opening, visually and musically. The percussion is stronger and it has more of a punch to it.

Top 10 Shows I Want Completed on DVD: It's a Living, Alice, The Donna Reed Show, Phyllis, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons, Murphy Brown, The Hogan Family, Julia, 227
Old 01-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
TeeVeeCloset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey
I was hoping they'd have both, but I still have the umbrella opening on my VHS tapes and mpg's. Actually I prefer the telephone opening, visually and musically. The percussion is stronger and it has more of a punch to it.

Hope you are especially enjoying the Ann Jillian Hazel season 5 episode appearances and yes I am with you want "It's A Living" on DVD or TV!