Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Head of the Class links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Head of the Class Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Head of the Class
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default I think I figured out why this show was rarely in syndication

Because it's not a family or work place comedy, it's a show centered around kids in school which probably could only work when it was on network TV.

How long could someone watch this show if it was always in a school setting? I don't think they ever showed the home life of any cast members from what I remember but I could be wrong
Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget

They actually went to Russia in the third season, but like you most of my memories are of the class being in the classroom or hallway. I haven't seen this show in ages, but I suspect it's terribly dated because I remember a lot of the episodes revolving around whatever issues were circling at the time.

On a personal note, when I was a kid I read in "Black Hair" Magazine that Kimberly Russell (Sarah) used toothpaste and baking soda on her face as a beauty treatment. I tried it and I got the worst zits of my life. I thought I was going to have to go through life with a bag on my head. So, if you're out there Kimberly - whatever.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/02/ar...to-moscow.html
Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetgrape
They actually went to Russia in the third season, but like you most of my memories are of the class being in the classroom or hallway. I haven't seen this show in ages, but I suspect it's terribly dated because I remember a lot of the episodes revolving around whatever issues were circling at the time.

On a personal note, when I was a kid I read in "Black Hair" Magazine that Kimberly Russell (Sarah) used toothpaste and baking soda on her face as a beauty treatment. I tried it and I got the worst zits of my life. I thought I was going to have to go through life with a bag on my head. So, if you're out there Kimberly - whatever.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/02/ar...to-moscow.html

yeah I think a show that is only in a school setting would get old quick on cable
Old 12-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
visaman666
Forum Regular

Saved by the Bell thrived in syndication.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
JR1
Forum Regular

Default I Was Nota SBTB Viewer...

but, didn't most of the action take place outside of a classroom on that show? With Head of the Class, which I did watch, most of it seemed to happen inside the classroom.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
frazetta
Frequent Poster

It probably didn't help that Head of the Class was a more highbrow/intelligent show.

Nowadays, we end up with pseudo-intelligent shows like The Big Bang Theory.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaman666

Saved by the bell didn't air at 4am in the morning
Old 12-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
but, didn't most of the action take place outside of a classroom on that show? With Head of the Class, which I did watch, most of it seemed to happen inside the classroom.

Yes Head of the class took place inside the school
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

The Facts of Life was also set in a school, and, like Saved By the Bell, also thrived in syndication for many years. No, shows set in schools can thrive in syndication.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
The Facts of Life was also set in a school, and, like Saved By the Bell, also thrived in syndication for many years. No, shows set in schools can thrive in syndication.

Facts of Life was not in a real school setting
Old 12-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
RetroGuy2000
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Facts of Life was not in a real school setting
Well, I disagree. The first 83 episodes (and the last two) were set at Eastland Academy, either in the dorm rooms, the classrooms, the cafeteria, or the student lounge.

Some other shows set in schools: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Degrassi (Junior) High, Glee, and lots of others. No, a TV show can be set in a school and still be popular in syndication.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
visaman666
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
Well, I disagree. The first 83 episodes

We don't talk about the first season. It. Never. Happened.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

I've always bee curious about this show. Maybe WB will eventually release it via their archive program.

It's not like this show was only one or two seasons, it was 5 seasons with 114 episodes. You'd think it would get picked up in syndication at least once every 10 years or so.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Mace Dolex

What about Welcome Back Kotter? that was a decent hit, but I guess once John Travolta left the show went down real fast.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #15
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaman666

I think Saved by the Bell thrived unlike Head of the Class because it was always about the kids first and foremost (thus, it was easier to figure out its target demographic) and not the adults like Mr. Belding. I'm guessing that's in part why Good Morning, Miss Bliss didn't "work". There wasn't enough that could appeal to kids but it wasn't exactly "adult enough" (if that makes sense).