Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Head of the Class links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Head of the Class Photo Gallery


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Head of the Class

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

South Park 8 Day Marathon on Comedy Central; Classic Adult Swim Comedy Returns with Special
NBC Fall Pilot Review: I Feel Bad - Premieres Wednesday (Sept. 19); 70th Annual Primetime Emmy Award Winners
Married with Children Now on WGN America; black-ish Enters National Syndication and Free Sneakers Contest
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 17, 2018)
SitcomsOnline Digest: ABC Orders Script for Designing Women Reboot; James Marsden and Ed Asner Cast in Netflix Series
Fri-Yay: A Look at the Upcoming Sitcom Slate; TV Guide's 1st Annual 100 Best Shows List
Dancing with the Stars Season 27 Cast Has Sitcom Stars; The Young Sheldon STEM Initiative
Critics' Choice Awards Set for January on The CW; IFC Sets New Episodes for Documentary Now!


New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September)

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season Step by Step - The Complete Second Season Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season

08/07 - Happy Endings - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
08/15 - A.P. Bio - Season One
08/28 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Five
08/28 - Man Seeking Woman - The Complete Third Season
09/04 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Season 12
09/04 - Mom - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Fifth Season
09/04 - Superstore - Season Three
09/04 - Young Sheldon - The Complete First Season
09/11 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
09/11 - The Middle - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - Modern Family - The Complete Ninth Season
09/11 - People of Earth - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - Community - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
09/18 - Step by Step - The Complete Second Season
09/18 - You're the Worst - The Complete Fourth Season
09/25 - Blondie - The Complete 1957 Television Series
09/25 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Fifth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,490
Default I think I figured out why this show was rarely in syndication

Because it's not a family or work place comedy, it's a show centered around kids in school which probably could only work when it was on network TV.

How long could someone watch this show if it was always in a school setting? I don't think they ever showed the home life of any cast members from what I remember but I could be wrong
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
gidgetgrape
Forever Gidget
Senior Member
 
gidgetgrape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 20, 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,367
Default

They actually went to Russia in the third season, but like you most of my memories are of the class being in the classroom or hallway. I haven't seen this show in ages, but I suspect it's terribly dated because I remember a lot of the episodes revolving around whatever issues were circling at the time.

On a personal note, when I was a kid I read in "Black Hair" Magazine that Kimberly Russell (Sarah) used toothpaste and baking soda on her face as a beauty treatment. I tried it and I got the worst zits of my life. I thought I was going to have to go through life with a bag on my head. So, if you're out there Kimberly - whatever.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/02/ar...to-moscow.html
gidgetgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetgrape
They actually went to Russia in the third season, but like you most of my memories are of the class being in the classroom or hallway. I haven't seen this show in ages, but I suspect it's terribly dated because I remember a lot of the episodes revolving around whatever issues were circling at the time.

On a personal note, when I was a kid I read in "Black Hair" Magazine that Kimberly Russell (Sarah) used toothpaste and baking soda on her face as a beauty treatment. I tried it and I got the worst zits of my life. I thought I was going to have to go through life with a bag on my head. So, if you're out there Kimberly - whatever.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/02/ar...to-moscow.html

yeah I think a show that is only in a school setting would get old quick on cable
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
visaman666
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2007
Posts: 744
Default

Saved by the Bell thrived in syndication.
visaman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
JR1
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 07, 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 401
Default I Was Nota SBTB Viewer...

but, didn't most of the action take place outside of a classroom on that show? With Head of the Class, which I did watch, most of it seemed to happen inside the classroom.
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
frazetta
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 11, 2008
Posts: 28
Default

It probably didn't help that Head of the Class was a more highbrow/intelligent show.

Nowadays, we end up with pseudo-intelligent shows like The Big Bang Theory.
frazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaman666
Saved by the Bell thrived in syndication.

Saved by the bell didn't air at 4am in the morning
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1
but, didn't most of the action take place outside of a classroom on that show? With Head of the Class, which I did watch, most of it seemed to happen inside the classroom.

Yes Head of the class took place inside the school
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,392
Default

The Facts of Life was also set in a school, and, like Saved By the Bell, also thrived in syndication for many years. No, shows set in schools can thrive in syndication.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
TVFactFan
Member
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 17, 2002
Posts: 89,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
The Facts of Life was also set in a school, and, like Saved By the Bell, also thrived in syndication for many years. No, shows set in schools can thrive in syndication.

Facts of Life was not in a real school setting
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 2,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFactFan
Facts of Life was not in a real school setting
Well, I disagree. The first 83 episodes (and the last two) were set at Eastland Academy, either in the dorm rooms, the classrooms, the cafeteria, or the student lounge.

Some other shows set in schools: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Degrassi (Junior) High, Glee, and lots of others. No, a TV show can be set in a school and still be popular in syndication.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
visaman666
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2007
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000
Well, I disagree. The first 83 episodes
We don't talk about the first season. It. Never. Happened.
visaman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!
Forum Veteran
 
tlc38tlc38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 02, 2008
Location: Either in Raytown or Dollywood
Posts: 11,482
Default

I've always bee curious about this show. Maybe WB will eventually release it via their archive program.

It's not like this show was only one or two seasons, it was 5 seasons with 114 episodes. You'd think it would get picked up in syndication at least once every 10 years or so.
__________________
Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
Deuteronomy 15:10
In loving memory of my best friend, my Mama.
tlc38tlc38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
Mace Dolex
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 12, 2013
Posts: 2,220
Default

What about Welcome Back Kotter? that was a decent hit, but I guess once John Travolta left the show went down real fast.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #15
TMC
Member
Forum Celebrity
 
Join Date: Jan 09, 2001
Posts: 30,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaman666
Saved by the Bell thrived in syndication.
I think Saved by the Bell thrived unlike Head of the Class because it was always about the kids first and foremost (thus, it was easier to figure out its target demographic) and not the adults like Mr. Belding. I'm guessing that's in part why Good Morning, Miss Bliss didn't "work". There wasn't enough that could appeal to kids but it wasn't exactly "adult enough" (if that makes sense).
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

VigLink badge

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.