Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #106
danderson400
Forum Regular

it makes me wonder why ABC put China Beach on on indefinite hiatus rather than have it as the Super Bowl lead-out that year or even Twin Peaks
Old 09-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #107
Frenky
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400
it makes me wonder why ABC put China Beach on on indefinite hiatus rather than have it as the Super Bowl lead-out that year or even Twin Peaks

Even though I liked China Beach it was never gonna be a huge hit, as for Twin Peaks, ABC should have moved it to Wednesday 9pm instead of Thursday night and leave it only as limited series with S1 finale as show finale, I'm sure it would have had huge numbers.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #108
danderson400
Forum Regular

it amazes me though how ABC was in bad trouble in the early 90s they mismanaged college football, China Beach, and Thirtysomething the only saving grace for ABC was that they still had Monday Night Football and their newscast was still going strong but that would change in fact the time between 1990 and the early 2000s was a bad time for ABC although they got ESPN to produce the college football telecasts and they got some good shows in the late 90s-early 2000s
Old 09-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #109
Frenky
Frequent Poster

Quote:
it amazes me though how ABC was in bad trouble in the early 90s they mismanaged college football, China Beach, and Thirtysomething the only saving grace for ABC

No they weren't, Roseanne, Home Improvement, Full House, TGIF, AFHV and AFP were.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #110
danderson400
Forum Regular

might correct myself then Roseanne, Home Improvement, Full House, TGIF, AFHV and AFP and college football and MNF did give ABC some good programming(it didn't hurt that ABC had the exclusive rights to college football back then too) some of ABC's core sports talent was still there though Keith Jackson, Brent Musburger, Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, Gary Bender, Jim Mckay, Julie Moran(she would replace Mckay as Wide World Of Sports host in 94), Steve
Zabriskie, and i cant remember who else they had on the ABC Sports roster back then
Old 09-23-2015, 06:38 PM   #111
factsoflife

Quote:
it amazes me though how ABC was in bad trouble in the early 90s they mismanaged college football, China Beach, and Thirtysomething the only saving grace for ABC was that they still had Monday Night Football and their newscast was still going strong but that would change in fact the time between 1990 and the early 2000s was a bad time for ABC although they got ESPN to produce the college football telecasts and they got some good shows in the late 90s-early 2000s

Thirtysomething was something of a critical hit for sure, but hardly ever a ratings powerhouse. It was never even a top 20 series. The highest it ever ranked was #40. China Beach was also hardly ever a ratings winner, in fact it was notoriously lowly rated.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #112
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Thirtysomething was something of a critical hit for sure, but hardly ever a ratings powerhouse. It was never even a top 20 series. The highest it ever ranked was #40. China Beach was also hardly ever a ratings winner, in fact it was notoriously lowly rated.
let me see what ABC had..
college football-always second to CBS until they got CFA
MNF- ratings winner always in top 20
China Beach- hardly ever a ratings winner, in fact it was notoriously lowly rated but critically acclaimed
Twin Peaks- same as China Beach
olympics- nope NBC had them then
Life Goes On- did OK against NFL overruns and 60 Minutes
the shows i mentioned earlier re: the comedies were great of course and AFV and AFP
Wide World Of Sports- did OK with Frank Gifford and Becky Dixon as co-hosts in 87 then went to Gifford as sole anchor and did even well while Becky Dixon joined Gary Bender and Dick Vermell on college football for ABC(behind Keith Jackson, Bob Greise and Mike Adamle)
Bowling- still did well with Schenkel and Nelson Burton, Jr
Homefront- see China Beach and Twin Peaks
ABC had best sports talent then though back then though-Jim Mckay, Frank Gifford, Al Michaels, Keith Jackson, Al Trautwig, Dan Dierdorf, Gary Bender, Charlsie Cantey, Mike Adamle, Bob Griese, Becky Dixon, Dave Johnson and Paul Page they later added Brent Musburger, Mark Jones, John Saunders, Julie Moran, Terry Gannon, Steve Zabriskie, and then Mike Tirico, Sean Grande, Brad Nessler, Tim Brant and that is about all they had in that time period
Old 09-24-2015, 02:01 AM   #113
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

If I ran ABC, I'd get rid of The View completely. That show had run its course. It's time to put it to pasture now that Barbara Walters is gone.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #114
Frenky
Frequent Poster

ABC was stable in terms of ratings from late 80s until mid 90s, MNF on Monday, Roseanne and Full House on Tuesday, Home Improvement and Grace under Fire on Wednesday, TGIF, weak days were Thursday and Saturday.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #115
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenky
ABC was stable in terms of ratings from late 80s until mid 90s, MNF on Monday, Roseanne and Full House on Tuesday, Home Improvement and Grace under Fire on Wednesday, TGIF, weak days were Thursday and Saturday.
Saturdays were not weak when you include college football though(ABC did some prime time games back then)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #116
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Letting The View last as long as it is. They should gsve canned it when Barbara Walters retired. Same goes with Nightline and Ted Koppel.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:11 AM   #117
simmytbone

Here's another Big Mess-Up

Trivia Trap - It was a pretty good show and had a good unique format, but when they changed the Trivia Trap Round to the Fact or Fiction Round and changed the rules to the Trivia Trap Round, Messed Up the whole show

The $10,000 Trivia Ladder was an interesting concept since everyone was winning money for themselves

Trivia Trap, not a bad show, but changing the format and competition against The NEW Price is Right Daytime w/Bob Barker and Wheel of Fortune Daytime w/Pat & Vanna hurt the show

Family Feud - Richard Dawson, to me will FOREVER and ALWAYS be THE Best Host of Family Feud

The Final Years from 1984-1985 the show changed its format from $300 to $400 rules with 4 Singles Round, 1 Double Round and if neither team got 400, Round 6 was Tripled and if necessary, Round 7 had a Triple Round

I mean hey, it worked w/the Tournament of Champions from the Combs Era, Karn Era, John O'Hurley Era and the Steve Harvey Era

Changing the $400 rule messed up the Feud and I think that's another reason why the Feud was goin' downhill, IMO

Break the Bank - 1976 abc Brought Break the Bank to the show Produced by Barry & Enright Productions

Sure many people might call that a rip-off of The Hollywood Squares, but the show had a unique concept and the Big Board was great

Having 3 100 Boxes, 3 2 Boxes and 3 300 Boxes, 5 Money Bags, 5 Empty Boxes and a Wild Box which can be used for ANY value was a great idea

Tom Kennedy was also great on the show and as always, he interacts with celebrities, too

But when Fred Silverman started expanding Daytime Soaps 30 minutes to 45 minutes, hurt the show and moving the show to syndication w/the late Jack Barry hosting the show didn't help wonders either, but thankfully, Mr. Barry brought back The Joker's Wild when the show moved to syndication after being cancelled on CBS Daytime

Atlanta Falcons: RISE UP
Old 10-19-2015, 08:25 AM   #118
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmytbone
Here's another Big Mess-Up

Trivia Trap - It was a pretty good show and had a good unique format, but when they changed the Trivia Trap Round to the Fact or Fiction Round and changed the rules to the Trivia Trap Round, Messed Up the whole show

The $10,000 Trivia Ladder was an interesting concept since everyone was winning money for themselves

Trivia Trap, not a bad show, but changing the format and competition against The NEW Price is Right Daytime w/Bob Barker and Wheel of Fortune Daytime w/Pat & Vanna hurt the show

Family Feud - Richard Dawson, to me will FOREVER and ALWAYS be THE Best Host of Family Feud

The Final Years from 1984-1985 the show changed its format from $300 to $400 rules with 4 Singles Round, 1 Double Round and if neither team got 400, Round 6 was Tripled and if necessary, Round 7 had a Triple Round

I mean hey, it worked w/the Tournament of Champions from the Combs Era, Karn Era, John O'Hurley Era and the Steve Harvey Era

Changing the $400 rule messed up the Feud and I think that's another reason why the Feud was goin' downhill, IMO

Break the Bank - 1976 abc Brought Break the Bank to the show Produced by Barry & Enright Productions

Sure many people might call that a rip-off of The Hollywood Squares, but the show had a unique concept and the Big Board was great

Having 3 100 Boxes, 3 2 Boxes and 3 300 Boxes, 5 Money Bags, 5 Empty Boxes and a Wild Box which can be used for ANY value was a great idea

Tom Kennedy was also great on the show and as always, he interacts with celebrities, too

But when Fred Silverman started expanding Daytime Soaps 30 minutes to 45 minutes, hurt the show and moving the show to syndication w/the late Jack Barry hosting the show didn't help wonders either, but thankfully, Mr. Barry brought back The Joker's Wild when the show moved to syndication after being cancelled on CBS Daytime
if I was Fred Silverman I would have NOT expanded Daytime Soaps 30 minutes to 45 minutes and tried BTB and OLTL and GH in a block maybe get Jack Barry to host BTB?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #119
simmytbone

Quote:
if I was Fred Silverman I would have NOT expanded Daytime Soaps 30 minutes to 45 minutes and tried BTB and OLTL and GH in a block maybe get Jack Barry to host BTB?

I don't know about Jack Barry hosting BTB, I saw some of his episodes and he wasn't comfortable hosting a show with celebs

Tom Kennedy was a better fit, IMO, he knew how to get into the game and he was also a master when it comes to celebrities

The reason he wasn't available when the show was on once a week on syndication was due to the fact that he was still hosting Name That Tune on syndication, plus he was also hosting NBC Game Shows 50 Grand Slam and the Daytime Version of Name That Tune

Plus, as much as I liked the Bonus Games on B&E Game Shows, the BTB Bonus Game for the syndicated version didn't do wonders for me when you have to find a total of $2000 before finding the word BUST

I liked the Bonus Games on The Joker's Wild, The NEW Tic Tac Dough, BULLSEYE and Hot Potato though

The best thing for Jack Barry as far as his hosting goes was The Joker's Wild and that's where people remember him for

But I do agree, if I was Fred Silverman, I would not have expanded Daytime Soaps to 45 minutes, not to mention, I would've kept BTB, but knowing Mr. Silverman, he was the King of Killing Game Shows, but he finally got a taste of his own medicine when he revived 21 on NBC back in the year 2000

This version was also Produced by Phil Gurin Producer of The Weakest Link, The All New LINGO on GSN w/Chuck Woolery, The Singing Bee and Oh Sit!

Last edited by simmytbone : 11-04-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:24 AM   #120
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmytbone
I liked the Bonus Games on The Joker's Wild, The NEW Tic Tac Dough, BULLSEYE and Hot Potato though

I liked the one on the short-lived 1978 CBS New Tic Tac Dough, where you had to find either three Xs or three Os in a certain configuration on the board. The 1990 Wayne TTD sort of fouled that up, though, based on what I've heard.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)