Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-05-2015, 03:07 AM   #91
Yong Fang

ABC has always been my least favorite network. Just do not like their programming. Of the Big Four networks, ABC probably has the least shows I watch or watched.

My question, how and why did ABC lose Monday Night Football? I would think this would be a coveted show not to lose, and ABC lost it to ESPN, which sucks for the poor people who do not have cable.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:50 AM   #92
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang
ABC has always been my least favorite network. Just do not like their programming. Of the Big Four networks, ABC probably has the least shows I watch or watched.

My question, how and why did ABC lose Monday Night Football? I would think this would be a coveted show not to lose, and ABC lost it to ESPN, which sucks for the poor people who do not have cable.

To make a long story short, Disney claims that they were losing a lot of money during the last few years that MNF was on ABC. ABC unlike ESPN, doesn't have the advantage of being able to exploit what is known as a duel-revenue stream. That means that you can charge both in cable subscription fees and advertisers. This is basically why Disney would prefer to have a majority of big time live sporting events now on ESPN instead of ABC (unless they're really forced/contracted to do so). ESPN/Disney will on occasion throw ABC a bone in order to apiece the affiliates.

By this time, the NFL (or more importantly, Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, and a key member of the NFL's TV committee) pushed for Sunday nights to be the new marquee spot for NFL broadcasts. This is because unlike on Monday nights, the NFL can better exploit "flex scheduling" (meaning that it would be much easier to avoid bad match-ups later in the season) and not start broadcasts at 9:00 p.m. on the East Coast.

From what I've gathered, Bob Iger (who at the time was Michael Eisner's second in command at Disney and was at one time, the chief of ABC's entertainment division) in particular was hesitant of going after the Sunday night package for ABC's benefit. This in part, likely has to do w/ ABC at that point, having a rejuvenated prime-time schedule (especially on Sunday nights) w/ Desperate Housewives leading the way.

Cutting to the chase, once Disney figured out that NBC had won the Sunday night package, they overspent on the Monday Night Football package since no live NFL coverage would've been seen as extremely bad for ESPN's brand. ESPN was left w/ what accounted for their old Sunday night schedule on MNF (which was not very good to put things lightly) while NBC now had the premiere NFL TV package. Disney for a lack of a better word, could've had (continued having) both the Sunday night and Monday night package albeit w/ the ABC and ESPN trading places.

It didn't help ABC because now they had to program against ESPN (does it really doesn't matter if ESPN is a sister network), and is w/o a lynch pin to promote their prime-time programming and attract the male demographic in particular.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #93
mets82

I always thought that MNF on ABC had lost its luster the last few years. I think it got a somewhat super charge being on ESPN. I will say that for them keeping MNF and having record numbers for the games on ESPN its kind of a double edged sword. I say that because when you look at the premier tv schedules, NBC's Sunday night Football is number 1 followed by the CBS/NFLN Thursday Night Football followed by MNF.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:26 AM   #94
simmytbone

another BIG Mess-Up From abc was this:

Reviving Classic TV Show from Paramount during the 80's

The NEW Odd Couple, The NEW Love American Style and The NEW Mission: Impossible

These 3 shows were abc and Paramount's Way of bringing Classic TV Shows, but with new twists and they all failed

The NEW Odd Couple

In this series, Felix Unger and Oscar Madison were both African-American college buddies who met in the 1950s. Felix was portrayed by Ron Glass who is best known for his role as the Witty Detective Ron Harris on the Hit abc 70's Cop Comedy Barney Miller and Oscar was portrayed by Demond Wilson who is best known for his role as Fred Sanford's 30-ish son Lamont Sanford on the Hit NBC 70's Comedy Sanford & Son.

The characterizations were still the same, as Felix was a prissy neatfreak and Oscar was a fun loving and sloppy character. John Schuck best known for his role as Sgt. Charles Enright on the NBC Mystery Drama McMillan & Wife and Herman Munster in the 80's Version of The Munster's Today also appeared as Murray the Cop, who was kept Caucasian, as was the character of Roy, who was played by Bart Braverman who is best known for his role as Bobby "Binzer" Borso the popular abc Crime Drama Series Vega$ and as a Semi-Regular on Match Game.

The show ran for 18 episodes; eight of the episodes used recycled scripts from the original series. By the time the writers began producing new scripts, it was too late, as the show never found an audience. The series was cancelled in 1983.

I didn't remember this revival growing up, but after watching some of the clips on YT, I can see why the show was cancelled after 1 season

IMO, NO ONE can touch Tony Randall and Jack Klugman when it comes to The Odd Couple TV Series and NO ONE can touch Jack Lemmon and Walter Mattheu when it comes to the MOVIE version of The Odd Couple

The NEW Love America Style

A decade after it went off the air, a new version premiered on ABC's daytime schedule in 1985 entitled New Love, American Style but was canceled after a few months due to low ratings against The Price Is Right on CBS. A third edition, starring Melissa Joan Hart among others, was shot as a pilot for the 1998–1999 television season, but was not ordered into a series. Nevertheless, ABC aired the pilot on February 20, 1999.

IMO, putting the NEW LAS on Daytime instead of Prime Time was a HUGE Mess-Up by the network executives of abc

Not to mention putting the show against CBS' The Price is Right and NBC's Wheel of Fortune was ANOTHER BIG BLOW for abc

The NEW Mission: Impossible

The events of the series take place 15 years after the last season of the original Mission: Impossible TV series. After his protégé and successor as leader of the top-secret Impossible Missions Force is killed, Jim Phelps is called out of retirement and asked to form a new IMF team and track down the assassin.

His team consists of Nicholas Black, a disguise expert and actor; Max Harte, a strongman; Grant Collier, the son of Barney Collier; and Casey Randall, a model-turned-agent, the IMF's original technology expert, and a technical genius in his own right. After finding the killer, Jim decides to stay on and keep the team together. Midway through season 1, Casey is killed during a mission (becoming the first ongoing IMF agent to be disavowed), and Secret Service agent Shannon Reed succeeds her for the remainder of the series. With the exception of this cast change, Phelps' team remains constant throughout the series.

In 1988, the American fall television season was hampered by a writers' strike that prevented the commissioning of new scripts. Producers, anxious to provide new product for viewers but with the prospect of a lengthy strike, went into the vaults for previously written material. Star Trek: The Next Generation, for example, used scripts written for an aborted Star Trek series proposed for the 1970s. The abc network decided to launch a new Mission: Impossible series, with a mostly new cast (except for Peter Graves, who would return as Phelps), but using scripts from the original series, suitably updated. To save even more on production costs, the series was filmed in Australia; the first season in Queensland, and the second season of episodes in Melbourne. Costs were, at that time, some 20 percent lower in Australia compared with Hollywood. The new Mission: Impossible was one of the first American commercial network programs to be filmed in Australia. The show's core cast included several Australian actors, and numerous Australians (along with Australian-based American and British actors) were cast in guest-starring roles, too.

According to Patrick White's book, The Complete Mission Impossible Dossier, the original plan was for the series to be an actual remake/reimaginging of the original series, with the new cast playing the same characters from the original series: Rollin Hand, Cinnamon Carter, et al. Just before filming began, White writes, the decision was made to rework the characters so that they were now original creations, albeit still patterned after the originals, with only Jim Phelps remaining unchanged, and with the Collier character becoming the son of the original to take advantage of the fact the actor cast in the role, Phil Morris, is the son of Greg Morris, the actor who played Barney Collier. One of the reworked scripts incorporated a guest appearance by the elder Morris as Barney Collier.

The strike ultimately ended and the series was able to compose original storylines; ultimately only a couple of episodes ended up being outright remakes of the original series, including the show's premiere episode.

Originally, the show had aired on Sundays, and was moved to Saturday evenings starting with episode 9 of the first season. At the start of the second season, ABC moved the show to the Thursday 8:00 p.m. timeslot, which proved to be a disaster for the show. Being forced to compete with NBC's The Cosby Show and A Different World, Mission: Impossible's ratings quickly declined. ABC responded by moving the show back to Saturday nights to replace the sitcoms Mr. Belvedere and Living Dolls, which faltered badly in their time slots. The move was to no avail as the series was cancelled at the end of the second season.

The Late Peter Graves returned as Jim Phelps
Skills: Leadership, disguise, role play, mimicry.

Thaao Penghlis (Tony DiMera on NBC's Long Running Daytime Soap Days of our Lives) as Nicholas Black
Skills: Actor, makeup/disguise, visual effects, voice impersonation, mimicry.

The Late Tony Hamilton of the short lived CBS Drama Cover Up as Max Harte
Skills: Strength, acting, role play, pilot.

Phil Morris (son of the late M:I actor Greg Morris) as Grant Collier
Skills: Electronics, computers, sabotage, engineer.

Terry Markwell as Casey Randall (early episodes 1988–1989 season)
Skills: Designer, femme fatale, sharpshooter.

Singer and Actress Jane Badler (Diana on the Sci-Fi Drama Series V) as Shannon Reed (1989–1990)
Skills: Ex-Secret Service Agent, femme fatale, disguise, mimicry, role play.

Bob Johnson as Voice on Disc (voice only)

Well guys, it was a pretty good revival, but IMO, once again, abc ruined another good show by too many time changes, but as for the writer's strike, I can totally understand

I guess the only 80's show that was revived by Paramount and became successful in the 80's and 90's was Star Trek: The Next Generation and it did extremely well mainly b/c it was syndicated and not on networks like abc, CBS or NBC

Had abc picked up ST: TNG, they would've done the same thing, mess up a good show and then cancelling it

also, speaking of Game Shows, abc Daytime lost very interest in their Daytime Game Shows, plus I blame abc's rival network NBC for NOT picking up Hot Streak and letting abc pick-up the show and get it cancelled due to competition against TPIR and WoF

But back to the task at hand, once again, abc and Paramount tried their way of reviving Old TV Classics with a NEW Twist and they failed

IMO, I think that Paramount should NEVER revive Old TV Classics, but if they do, they need to come up with some decent writing and make it work, if not, don't mess with it

Atlanta Falcons: RISE UP

Last edited by simmytbone : 11-04-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #95
danderson400
Forum Regular

for a while ABC had a winning forumla on Saturdays-college football, China Beach and Twin Peaks and then Bob Iger just has to put another show on at 8:00 instead of going with 5:30 for football like he had done the two years before in 88 and 89 it messed both shows up big time!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #96
bgva
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmytbone

The NEW Odd Couple

I didn't remember this revival growing up, but after watching some of the clips on YT, I can see why the show was cancelled after 1 season

Honestly, having watched a few episodes here and there on YT, the only thing the show had going for it was the jazzy updated theme song.

One other blunder ABC committed was trying to change the name of Happy Days to include Fonzie's name in the title. Thankfully, Garry Marshall and the cast thought better of it.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:07 AM   #97
danderson400
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmytbone

Reviving Classic TV Show from Paramount during the 80's

The NEW Odd Couple, The NEW Love American Style and The NEW Mission: Impossible

These 3 shows were abc and Paramount's Way of bringing Classic TV Shows, but with new twists and they all failed

The NEW Odd Couple

In this series, Felix Unger and Oscar Madison were both African-American college buddies who met in the 1950s. Felix was portrayed by Ron Glass who is best known for his role as the Witty Detective Ron Harris on the Hit abc 70's Cop Comedy Barney Miller and Oscar was portrayed by Demond Wilson who is best known for his role as Fred Sanford's 30-ish son Lamont Sanford on the Hit NBC 70's Comedy Sanford & Son.

The characterizations were still the same, as Felix was a prissy neatfreak and Oscar was a fun loving and sloppy character. John Schuck best known for his role as Sgt. Charles Enright on the NBC Mystery Drama McMillan & Wife and Herman Munster in the 80's Version of The Munster's Today also appeared as Murray the Cop, who was kept Caucasian, as was the character of Roy, who was played by Bart Braverman who is best known for his role as Bobby "Binzer" Borso the popular abc Crime Drama Series Vega$ and as a Semi-Regular on Match Game.

The show ran for 18 episodes; eight of the episodes used recycled scripts from the original series. By the time the writers began producing new scripts, it was too late, as the show never found an audience. The series was cancelled in 1983.

IMO, NO ONE can touch Tony Randall and Jack Klugman when it comes to The Odd Couple TV Series and NO ONE can touch Jack Lemmon and Walter Mattheu when it comes to the MOVIE version of The Odd Couple

The NEW Love America Style

A decade after it went off the air, a new version premiered on ABC's daytime schedule in 1985 entitled New Love, American Style but was canceled after a few months due to low ratings against The Price Is Right on CBS. A third edition, starring Melissa Joan Hart among others, was shot as a pilot for the 1998–1999 television season, but was not ordered into a series. Nevertheless, ABC aired the pilot on February 20, 1999.

IMO, putting the NEW LAS on Daytime instead of Prime Time was a HUGE Mess-Up by the network executives of abc

Not to mention putting the show against CBS' The Price is Right and NBC's Wheel of Fortune was ANOTHER BIG BLOW for abc

The NEW Mission: Impossible

The events of the series take place 15 years after the last season of the original Mission: Impossible TV series. After his protégé and successor as leader of the top-secret Impossible Missions Force is killed, Jim Phelps is called out of retirement and asked to form a new IMF team and track down the assassin.

His team consists of Nicholas Black, a disguise expert and actor; Max Harte, a strongman; Grant Collier, the son of Barney Collier; and Casey Randall, a model-turned-agent, the IMF's original technology expert, and a technical genius in his own right. After finding the killer, Jim decides to stay on and keep the team together. Midway through season 1, Casey is killed during a mission (becoming the first ongoing IMF agent to be disavowed), and Secret Service agent Shannon Reed succeeds her for the remainder of the series. With the exception of this cast change, Phelps' team remains constant throughout the series.

In 1988, the American fall television season was hampered by a writers' strike that prevented the commissioning of new scripts. Producers, anxious to provide new product for viewers but with the prospect of a lengthy strike, went into the vaults for previously written material. Star Trek: The Next Generation, for example, used scripts written for an aborted Star Trek series proposed for the 1970s.[citation needed] The ABC network decided to launch a new Mission: Impossible series, with a mostly new cast (except for Peter Graves, who would return as Phelps), but using scripts from the original series, suitably updated. To save even more on production costs, the series was filmed in Australia; the first season in Queensland, and the second season of episodes in Melbourne. Costs were, at that time, some 20 percent lower in Australia compared with Hollywood. The new Mission: Impossible was one of the first American commercial network programs to be filmed in Australia. The show's core cast included several Australian actors, and numerous Australians (along with Australian-based American and British actors) were cast in guest-starring roles, too.

According to Patrick White's book, The Complete Mission Impossible Dossier, the original plan was for the series to be an actual remake/reimaginging of the original series, with the new cast playing the same characters from the original series: Rollin Hand, Cinnamon Carter, et al. Just before filming began, White writes, the decision was made to rework the characters so that they were now original creations, albeit still patterned after the originals, with only Jim Phelps remaining unchanged, and with the Collier character becoming the son of the original to take advantage of the fact the actor cast in the role, Phil Morris, is the son of Greg Morris, the actor who played Barney Collier. One of the reworked scripts incorporated a guest appearance by the elder Morris as Barney Collier.

The strike ultimately ended and the series was able to compose original storylines; ultimately only a couple of episodes ended up being outright remakes of the original series, including the show's premiere episode.

Originally, the show had aired on Sundays, and was moved to Saturday evenings starting with episode 9 of the first season. At the start of the second season, ABC moved the show to the Thursday 8:00 p.m. timeslot, which proved to be a disaster for the show. Being forced to compete with NBC's The Cosby Show and A Different World, Mission: Impossible's ratings quickly declined. ABC responded by moving the show back to Saturday nights to replace the sitcoms Mr. Belvedere and Living Dolls, which faltered badly in their time slots. The move was to no avail as the series was cancelled at the end of the second season.

The Late Peter Graves returned as Jim Phelps
Skills: Leadership, disguise, role play, mimicry.

Thaao Penghlis (Tony DiMera on NBC's Long Running Daytime Soap Days of our Lives) as Nicholas Black
Skills: Actor, makeup/disguise, visual effects, voice impersonation, mimicry.

The Late Tony Hamilton of the short lived CBS Drama Cover Up as Max Harte
Skills: Strength, acting, role play, pilot.

Phil Morris (son of the M:I actor Greg Morris) as Grant Collier
Skills: Electronics, computers, sabotage, engineer.

Terry Markwell as Casey Randall (early episodes 1988–1989 season)
Skills: Designer, femme fatale, sharpshooter.

Singer and Actress Jane Badler (Diana on the Sci-Fi Drama Series V) as Shannon Reed (1989–1990)
Skills: Ex-Secret Service Agent, femme fatale, disguise, mimicry, role play.

Bob Johnson as Voice on Disc (voice only)

Well guys, it was a pretty good revival, but IMO, once again, abc ruined another good show by too many time changes, but as for the writer's strike, I can totally understand

I guess the only 80's show that was revived by Paramount and became successful in the 80's and 90's was Star Trek: The Next Generation and it did extremely well mainly b/c it was syndicated and not on networks like abc, CBS or NBC

Had abc picked up ST: TNG, they would've done the same thing, mess up a good show and then cancelling it

also, speaking of Game Shows, abc Daytime lost very interest in their Daytime Game Shows, plus I blame abc's rival network NBC for NOT picking up Hot Streak and letting abc pick-up the show and get it cancelled due to competition against TPIR and WoF

But back to the task at hand, once again, abc and Paramount tried their way of reviving Old TV Classics with a NEW Twist and they failed

IMO, I think that Paramount should NEVER revive Old TV Classics, but if they do, they need to come up with some decent writing and make it work, if not, don't mess with it
had ABC had the CFA as well as Big 10 and the Pac 10 package in 88 they could have used those games as a lead-in to a show like I Married Dora or China Beach or even a movie on Saturday nights?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #98
danderson400
Forum Regular

you know if i was the guy that ran ABC i would have not moved China Beach to Saturday Nights maybe i would have moved it to Frdiay nights even though that might have made Roone Arledge mad because that would have moved 20/20 from Friday Nights maybe move that show to Monday Nights before MNF?
Old 09-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #99
Michael cole
Forum Regular
Henry Winkler

Allowing Happy Days to run as long as it did. It was really good, up until 1980 ,when Ron Howard and Donny Most left. That's when they should've cancelled it.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #100
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

^^ If I ran ABC Network during that time, I'd have ended Happy Days after Season 8 and Laverne & Shirley after Season 6 (both during the 1980-81 season). I probably wouldn't have had the title characters of L&S move to California after its S5. After that, I would have put Too Close for Comfort in the Tuesday at 8:00 timeslot for 1981-82.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #101
danderson400
Forum Regular

if i ran ABC..
make the most out of my college football coverage-since ABC`s contract guaranteed the Big Ten and Pac-10 conferences that their regional games would be seen in at least 50 percent of the country i would have made those games at 1/4:30 on Saturdays
moved Life Goes On to Saturdays after college football
moved China Beach to Fridays-a drama show might have done better after TGIF
moved 20/20 to Monday Nights before MNF
moved thirtysomething to Wednesday Nights
not sure where Twin Peaks would go maybe Tuesday Nights?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #102
danderson400
Forum Regular

restored Wide World Of Sports to 5:00 on Saturdays(i know that ABC wanted a Saturday newscast but..
Old 09-20-2015, 12:42 AM   #103
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Not allowing Gene Rayburn to pass the torch to Ross Shafer and scheduling it in the noon slot!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #104
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderson400
if i ran ABC..
make the most out of my college football coverage-since ABC`s contract guaranteed the Big Ten and Pac-10 conferences that their regional games would be seen in at least 50 percent of the country i would have made those games at 1/4:30 on Saturdays
moved Life Goes On to Saturdays after college football
moved China Beach to Fridays-a drama show might have done better after TGIF
moved 20/20 to Monday Nights before MNF
moved thirtysomething to Wednesday Nights
not sure where Twin Peaks would go maybe Tuesday Nights?

If I ran ABC I would....

Immediately renew soap operas All My Children and One Life To Live, even if they were just brought back as half-hour soaps with limited casts.

I would fire Whoopi Goldberg and Candace Cameron from "The View"; I would hire a respected journalist like Connie Chung or Joan Lunden as the new head moderator of the show. I would fire Sherri Shepherd again; I would bring Rosie O'Donnell back as a recurring contributor.

The daytime lineup would look like this:

11am-12pm: The View
12pm-1230pm: Local Programming
1pm-130pm: All My Children
130pm-2pm: One Life To Live
2pm-3pm: General Hospital
3pm-4pm: The Chew
Old 09-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #105
bmasters9

If I ran ABC, two things I would most definitely do:

--Resurrect the ABC Movie broadcasts with the Star Tunnel titles and music
--Bring back the original multiple-city setup of WNT (Washington, Chicago, London, and New York)
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)