Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 AM   #46
noveel
Forum Regular

Di$ney probably doesn't care if ABC is 1st or 5th as long as its profitable, its big money maker is E$PN.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #47
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by noveel
Di$ney probably doesn't care if ABC is 1st or 5th as long as its profitable, its big money maker is E$PN.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but perhaps a byproduct of this problem is sort of like NBC under Jeff Zucker, they have people in charge who don't entirely understand the creation of prime time programming (at the very least) and/or the unique relationship between a broadcast network and an affiliate station. In other words, cable and satellite MSOs are more or less, considered "affiliates". More to the point, said relationships are dramatically different and less synergistic than that between a broadcast network and an affiliated station. Both create content, have unique brands and specific relationships with viewers. I suppose a perfect example of this is the way that ABC's sports programming (which is basically, "lip service" from ESPN) has been presented in recent years under the ESPN banner. It seems like a lot of things (just like NBC during the Zucker years) feel like they're being done on the cheap.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #48
factsoflife

Ending "SoapNET" and replacing it with yet another pre-school network that nobody wanted and nobody will watch. They had a winner in SOAPNET, which even til it's end was among the highest rated cable networks out there and instead they are going to enter an already saturated market that will only further dilute the Disney brand and provide competition for Disney Channel.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #49
yankeesrj12

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Ending "SoapNET" and replacing it with yet another pre-school network that nobody wanted and nobody will watch. They had a winner in SOAPNET, which even til it's end was among the highest rated cable networks out there and instead they are going to enter an already saturated market that will only further dilute the Disney brand and provide competition for Disney Channel.
I wouldn't call it "among the highest rated cable networks out there", as it really wasn't all that strong. In August 2012 (the latest data I could find), the highest rated programming on SoapNet was Young and the Restless - with a mere 490,000 viewers. They only had 21 shows above 100,000 viewers, with the remaining 149 programs were under that threshold. Finally, 43 of the 170 programs (25% of their lineup) were under 25,000 viewers.

From those numbers, I completely understand why SoapNet closed. Why it was replaced with Disney Junior though, I have no idea. They have plenty of material on Disney Channel and the Disney Junior block on Disney Channel.

Update: Disney Junior averaged 385,000 viewers for a week in September 2013, ahead of the 64,500 viewers SoapNet averaged last August.

Here is the link: http://www.tvmediainsights.com/highl...august-6-2012/

Last edited by yankeesrj12 : 01-30-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #50
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesrj12
I wouldn't call it "among the highest rated cable networks out there", as it really wasn't all that strong. In August 2012 (the latest data I could find), the highest rated programming on SoapNet was Young and the Restless - with a mere 490,000 viewers. They only had 21 shows above 100,000 viewers, with the remaining 149 programs were under that threshold. Finally, 43 of the 170 programs (25% of their lineup) was under 25,000 viewers.

From those numbers, I completely understand why SoapNet closed. Why it was replaced with Disney Junior though, I have no idea. They have plenty of material on Disney Channel and the Disney Junior block on Disney Channel.

Update: Disney Junior averaged 385,000 viewers for a week in September 2013, ahead of the 64,500 viewers SoapNet averaged last August.

Fair enough, but that was way after they essentially had already shut-down the network and stopped promoting it and programming it for the most part.

Prior to 2011 SOAPNET was a hugely successful cable network that routinely exceeded expectations, and when it launched was among the fastest growing networks on cable.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #51
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesrj12
I wouldn't call it "among the highest rated cable networks out there", as it really wasn't all that strong. In August 2012 (the latest data I could find), the highest rated programming on SoapNet was Young and the Restless - with a mere 490,000 viewers. They only had 21 shows above 100,000 viewers, with the remaining 149 programs were under that threshold. Finally, 43 of the 170 programs (25% of their lineup) was under 25,000 viewers.

I still hope for a Vault Disney Channel...or at least have some older Disney Afternoon Shows back on The Disney Channel rather than feeding the cash cows!

There's an audience for that and if Disney doesn't watch out...reruns of "Wonderful World of Disney" (The ones that showed the older shows and Walt Disney himself) will be on either Antenna TV or MeTV!

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #52
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

cancelling Doogie Howser MD and The Wonder Years. I mean ABC should have done something to boost ratings. I mean In an interview with Steven Bochco, he expressed his displeasure with ABC for cancelling Doogie Howser when he did not get to finish off the series properly

As for The Wonder Years, ABC was planning on going all the way to Kevin's senior year in high school but a female guest star sued Fred Savage and Jason Hervey and purportedly sued ABC! Damn that bitch!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #53
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

In the fall of 1969, the American Broadcasting Company ran two programmes on Mondays from 7:30 to 9:00 P.M. with a running time of 45 minutes each. They were The Music Scene (a music chart/variety show) and The New People (a drama series). Their competition was Gunsmoke and Here's Lucy (on CBS) and Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In (on NBC).

Music Scene and New People finished in third place each week (drawing around a 10.0 rating), and they were cancelled at midseason, finishing their 17-episode runs in January of 1970.

The peculiar length of the two programmes may have been a key reason for their failure, not just in the Nielsen ratings, but with advertisers as well; To many an advertiser, there was no such thing as a 45-minute show.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #54
Cyrax
Frequent Poster

They cancelled Body of Proof, The Neighbors & Suburgatory, but renewed Nashville which is now expected to reach 87 episodes with terrible ratings. Not to mention the sitcoms they picked up for next season instead of the aforementioned two, I'm very disappointed with ABC at the moment.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:30 AM   #55
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
ABC had a lot of problems in the years following the 90's. The biggest mistake was overplaying Who Wants to Be A Millionaire, and not foreseeing that it was going to be a trend that burnt-out quickly. They also failed to use this show to produce new hits.

But the main problem was mismanagement, starting with the appointment of Jamie Trases as President of Entertainment where she turned everything on the network into a "Friends" clone. ABC tried in vein to capture the market NBC was getting by turning every show on the network into a show about young 20'somethings.

You also had the mistake of passing on several shows that turned into major hits for other networks--- They passed on the CSI Franchise (and along with it the lucrative Jerry Bruckhemier production contract which ended up earning CBS untold fortunes.)

They passed on The Apprentice a show that ended up going on to to the #1 show on Primetime for awhile

I believe I also read that they also nearly passed on both Lost and Desperate Housewives.

Which brings me to my next point:

Firing Lloyd Braun and Susan Lyne, whose development work produced the two biggest hits ABC had had in decades and turned the network around. I think ABC was in such bad shape for so long and Lyne's previous development efforts produced little fanfare that firing her was sort of inevitable. Aside from George Lopez and 8 Simple Rules, her work produced little value until Lost and Housewives.

Cancelling long-running soaps "All My Children" and "One Life To Live" (which at the time of it's cancellation was the highest-rated soap on ABC) in favor of cheaply produced talk shows that nobody is watching. They thought that producing cheaper shows would off-set any ratings slips. They were wrong. This decision is to be solely blamed on one man imho, Brian Frons, the idiot who from the second he was hired at ABC Daytime began to systematically dismantle the shows he was in charge of. It was clear he was a man that did not love the soap opera genre and every decision he made undermined the intelligence of the audience and disrespected the crew and cast of these shows. He made bad decisions so he would be justified in cancelling two beloved iconic series.

Some insight on Jamie Tarses' plans:
Quote:
ABC has a plan to rebuild its family franchise. Entertainment division president Jamie Tarses, hired away from NBC last June, wants to build family comedies around strong adult characters. That means shows that look less like Sabrina and Boy Meets World and more like Growing Pains and Who's the Boss?--in other words, the very sorts of programs that Miller and Boyett produced in the 1980s.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #56
bmasters9

Quote:

I remember when Soapnet had that Dynasty marathon on early Sunday mornings. Every week, I'd set the VCR and tape the whole thing. I think I went through three or four seasons' worth (maybe 5) that way.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #57
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Some insight on Jamie Tarses' plans:

Sadly, that ended up not being the direction she went in. I recall numerous people saying she was only interested in shows about young characters and she insisted every show she greenlit be similar in tone to Friends or Seinfeld. I recall somebody from Boy Meets World explaining she suddenly decided they had to introduce some 20-something characters which is why Mr. Turner showed up.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #58
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Sadly, that ended up not being the direction she went in. I recall numerous people saying she was only interested in shows about young characters and she insisted every show she greenlit be similar in tone to Friends or Seinfeld. I recall somebody from Boy Meets World explaining she suddenly decided they had to introduce some 20-something characters which is why Mr. Turner showed up.
Mr. Turner was a great addition. The mistake there was getting rid of him.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #59
mets82

Frankly, cancelling Subergatory would be on my list. I thought that was a funny show. Also, I might be the only one, but I didnt like when they cancelled "Dont trust the B..." I thought James VanDer Beek was hiliarious and so was Krysten Ritter.

Also, Soapnet didnt surprise me when they cancelled it. It was obvious that the executives just gave up and didnt care. They started pushing reality crap and other nonsense. When that happens, forget it. Its a shame because it was a really good channel.

Why not bring back TGIF? It was so successful back in the day. I do think they need Girl Meets World to anchor it.

Also, cancelling OLTL and AMC as well as overplaying Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #60
Bronson
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD
Yep, and the original V series on NBC after the miniseries didn't fare well either, being cancelled after one season which had the final episode end on a cliffhanger.

They should have just left V as a mini series.