Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD
I totally agree with the oversaturation of WWTBAM. I think Regis Philbin is annoying anyway and him being all over the network didn't help. I also agree about cancelling AMC and OLTL in favor of more generic boring reality/lifestyle shows with The Chew and The Revolution.

Thinking Welcome to the Neighborhood, a reality show where rich, white surburbanites get to pick which minority family would be moving into a home in their neighborhood would be good drama. They pulled it after complaints there could be potential racism and stereotyping.

Constantly preempting the popular soap Edge of Night and then ultimately cancelling it in 1984.

Not giving V a chance with the constant preempting of that show.

Allowing The Bachelor and The Bachelorette to continue despite only having one successful contestant finding love and actually getting married.

ABC most recently, pulled the plug on GCB (even though I think, it did at least respectable in the ratings) too quickly in order to appease to the growing pressure right-wing moral guardians such as One Million Moms.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #17
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
ABC most recently, pulled the plug on GCB (even though I think, it did at least respectable in the ratings) too quickly in order to appease to the growing pressure right-wing moral guardians such as One Million Moms.
The mistake there was ever airing GCB in the first place. I'm very glad it was cancelled, a show referring to Christians as bitches in the title had no business being picked up. And yes the title was shortened but we all know what it stood for, ABC didn't pick those letters out of a hat.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMFaninMD
I totally agree with the oversaturation of WWTBAM. I think Regis Philbin is annoying anyway and him being all over the network didn't help. I also agree about cancelling AMC and OLTL in favor of more generic boring reality/lifestyle shows with The Chew and The Revolution.

Thinking Welcome to the Neighborhood, a reality show where rich, white surburbanites get to pick which minority family would be moving into a home in their neighborhood would be good drama. They pulled it after complaints there could be potential racism and stereotyping.

Constantly preempting the popular soap Edge of Night and then ultimately cancelling it in 1984.

Not giving V a chance with the constant preempting of that show.

Allowing The Bachelor and The Bachelorette to continue despite only having one successful contestant finding love and actually getting married.
I don't watch soap operas, but wasn't EDGE OF NIGHT on CBS? And wasn't V on NBC?

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I don't watch soap operas, but wasn't EDGE OF NIGHT on CBS? And wasn't V on NBC?
The original V was on NBC but they may be referring to the V remake, which aired on ABC.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 AM   #20
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
what's GCB?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
The mistake there was ever airing GCB in the first place. I'm very glad it was cancelled, a show referring to Christians as bitches in the title had no business being picked up. And yes the title was shortened but we all know what it stood for, ABC didn't pick those letters out of a hat.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
mr awesome
Forum Regular

Cool

ABC expanding Nightline from four nights a week to five and ultimately cancelling the SNL rip-off 'Fridays.' From what I read the show did well in its first year at 11:30, but then bumped the show to midnight after Nightline and ratings plummeted. A trial episode aired at 9 pm, but that didn't work and the show was canned.

I would've had Nightline air Sun-Thu. The Sunday Nightline could have easily bumped down the late night Sunday newscast ABC used to offer to affiliates after their late local news.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
irehtman

Last Man Standing should have find a well-known actor, who did not end up in the movies at all, to play Mike Baxter better. Tim Allen is already in the movies and he should appear more movies right now!

If they got rid of actress Alexandra Rosney and replaced her with Amanda Fuller to play Kristen, than they should replace both actresses Molly Ephraim and Kaitlyn Dever with two new actresses to play both 18-year-old Mandy Baxter and 15-year-old Eve Baxter characters better!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #24
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
The original V was on NBC but they may be referring to the V remake, which aired on ABC.

Yep, and the original V series on NBC after the miniseries didn't fare well either, being cancelled after one season which had the final episode end on a cliffhanger.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #25
Sal

The biggest mistake that I remember was when they moved The Partridge Family to Saturday nights opposite All In The Family in the fall of 1973. Not only would the show be doomed to fail, and it did, only lasting for one final fourth season, but that move also completely destroyed the best Friday night lineup ABC has ever had. The Brady Bunch and The Odd Couple, two other great pre-TGIF shows, would be gone after that season as well.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
mets82

I would agree about Who Wants to be a Millionaire. That show was beaten to death. Also, the infamous One Life to Live and All My Children being cancelled is a mistake.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #27
TV_on_the_Porch
Forum Regular
anything good on?

Odd Couple was renewed for one more season.

I'd say Everything ABC did in preparing for fall, 1979 was a massive pile of fail. Not just the ridiculous focus group-driven tinkering with Mork & Mindy and moving it to Sundays, but all the shuffling of shows the network did that year. Laverne & Shirley went from finishing as the #1 show for the 1978-79 season to placing third in its time slot and dangling near the bottom ten around January of 1980. It takes some hardcore incompetence on the part of the network suits to achieve that!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
Last Man Standing should have find a well-known actor, who did not end up in the movies at all, to play Mike Baxter better. Tim Allen is already in the movies and he should appear more movies right now!

If they got rid of actress Alexandra Rosney and replaced her with Amanda Fuller to play Kristen, than they should replace both actresses Molly Ephraim and Kaitlyn Dever with two new actresses to play both 18-year-old Mandy Baxter and 15-year-old Eve Baxter characters better!

How exactly that a mess-up that ABC as a television network made as a whole? I would put that more on the list of the biggest mess-ups/mistakes in Tim Allen's career. Or more the point, the biggest mistakes that TV shows made for their second seasons.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #29
factsoflife

ABC had a lot of problems in the years following the 90's. The biggest mistake was overplaying Who Wants to Be A Millionaire, and not foreseeing that it was going to be a trend that burnt-out quickly. They also failed to use this show to produce new hits.

But the main problem was mismanagement, starting with the appointment of Jamie Trases as President of Entertainment where she turned everything on the network into a "Friends" clone. ABC tried in vein to capture the market NBC was getting by turning every show on the network into a show about young 20'somethings.

You also had the mistake of passing on several shows that turned into major hits for other networks--- They passed on the CSI Franchise (and along with it the lucrative Jerry Bruckhemier production contract which ended up earning CBS untold fortunes.)

They passed on The Apprentice a show that ended up going on to to the #1 show on Primetime for awhile

I believe I also read that they also nearly passed on both Lost and Desperate Housewives.

Which brings me to my next point:

Firing Lloyd Braun and Susan Lyne, whose development work produced the two biggest hits ABC had had in decades and turned the network around. I think ABC was in such bad shape for so long and Lyne's previous development efforts produced little fanfare that firing her was sort of inevitable. Aside from George Lopez and 8 Simple Rules, her work produced little value until Lost and Housewives.

Cancelling long-running soaps "All My Children" and "One Life To Live" (which at the time of it's cancellation was the highest-rated soap on ABC) in favor of cheaply produced talk shows that nobody is watching. They thought that producing cheaper shows would off-set any ratings slips. They were wrong. This decision is to be solely blamed on one man imho, Brian Frons, the idiot who from the second he was hired at ABC Daytime began to systematically dismantle the shows he was in charge of. It was clear he was a man that did not love the soap opera genre and every decision he made undermined the intelligence of the audience and disrespected the crew and cast of these shows. He made bad decisions so he would be justified in cancelling two beloved iconic series.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #30
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky

Edge of Night started out on CBS airing there from 1956-1975 and then moved to ABC in 1975 where it stayed until 1984.