Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Question The 20 Biggest Mess-Ups/Mistakes in ABC History

This is the fourth part in my series (I next intend on covering Fox) of all-time worst decisions that the American broadcast TV networks have made.

*The one mess-up involving ABC that most immediately comes to mind from the start is them oversaturating amd overrelying on Who Wants to be a Millionaire by putting it on almost every weeknight.

*Another case of ABC oversaturating something is when off the heels of Sabrina the Teenage Witch being a success in its first season on TGIF, ABC (who had just lost Family Matters and Step by Step to CBS, who started their own short-lived version of TGIF called "The Block Party") ordered two more supernatural/special effects heavy sitcoms in You Wish (basically a '90s version I Dream of Jeannie if Jeannie were male) and Teen Angel. These two shows only lasted for a single season and that was to me, the beginning of the end of TGIF (all of the other shows besides Sabrina and Boy Meets World didn't last beyond a single season if I'm not mistaken).

*And speaking of TGIF, there was the whole reasoning behind ABC cancelling Just the 10 of Us after two seasons, even though it I believe, won it's time slot. ABC basically wanted all of the shows in TGIF to be produced by Miller-Boyett Productions (just like Perfect Strangers, Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, and Hangin' w/ Mr. Cooper). In the place of Just the 10 of Us (which was outright canceled when ABC couldn't find another suitable timeslot for it) came Going Places. This proved to bite ABC in the butt because Going Places wound up only lasting one season.

*ABC's micromanagment during at least the initial years that Disney owned the company (w/ Michael Eisner still around as CEO). With this came some serious errors in judgement. For example, ABC turned down a chance to broadcast CSI instead of CBS. Eisner also apparently didn't want Lost (or Desperate Housewives for that matter) even though it was a huge success for ABC.

*Diluting ABC Sports during the late '90s early 2000s in favor of more emphasis on ESPN. This in a way, hurt ABC's ability to promote new programming and through a wrench in the unique relationships (if you want to call it that) affiliate stations. More to the point, ABC had a chance at landing the Sunday night prime time package in 2006 instead of NBC, but for whatever the reasons fumbled (while at the same time, resting on its laurels by worrying about moving Desperate Housewives) and Disney wound up overpaying for Monday Night Football on ESPN (which was really just the old ESPN Sunday Night Football package a day later).

*Meddling w/ Mork & Mindy after its first season (which was the third rated show in America I think) in order to further appeal towards younger viewers.

*The whole controversy involving ABC pulling the plug on long running soaps like All My Children and One Life to Live.

*The David Westin regime at ABC News.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Allowing Happy Days to continue once Richie left it should've ended.
Messing with said show once it went from being about Richie and became the Fonzie show that is when the show started getting goofy.
Canceling Battlestar Galactica and replacing it with Galactica 1980.
Canceling The Carol Burnett Show.
Canceling Sledge Hammer.
Ruining Starsky and Hutch by dumbing it down with silly plots involving cults, viruses, and Hutch getting hooked on and off heroin in one episode.
Canceling Soap.
Not scrapping their news network with everybody now with basic cable and internet access network news is obsolete.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW was on CBS not ABC

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 10-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
2Point5D
Occasional Poster

Cancelling great shows like Twin Peaks, The Critic, My So-Called Life, High Incident, Townies, Strange World, Invasion, Pushing Daisies, Samantha Who?, Eli Stone, and The Unusuals.

You see folks, ABC isn't this "Holy" network that people make them out to be as they cancel more good shows than any other network (and yes, this does include FOX, which gets too much unnecessary hate).

Another screw-up ABC has done is their oversaturation of generic, cookie-cutter shows. Webster was the first of this kind, then Who's The Boss, Mr. Belvedere and Growing Pains all came along and got popular. This led to ABC bringing in those crappy Lorimar-era Miller-Boyett sitcoms that they would shove down our throats for a freaking decade. I mean, Full House (worst show ever) was almost cancelled after the first season, but some jackass executive decided to keep it on for way too long. It even had generic and cookie-cutter dramas like Thirtysomething and Life Goes On.

So ABC decides to cancel cool innovative shows while keeping generic, unoriginal, cookie-cutter crap, which is why I rip them more than any other TV network (not counting The CW, which isn't even a real network).

Last edited by 2Point5D : 10-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

I think...ABC's biggest mess-up was...having it be Disney-owned!

By 1997, ABC lost "Family Matters" and "Step by Step", but favored less successful shows for TGIF. Then for SatAM...ABC had "One Saturday Morning" which I felt was a Monopoly after 2000 when "Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" ended its run on ABC. And somewhere in the 2000's, "Wonderful World of Disney" ended since I think it was on a Saturday which it should've been on Sunday.

That...and losing MNF!

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 10-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
James

* letting The Wonder Years end with no closure (the gang had their senior year left ahead of them)

* breaking down taboos with NYPD Blue (as opposed to, say, entertaining the masses) after canceling TWY
Old 10-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Regulus

Madderest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
This is the fourth part in my series (I next intend on covering Fox) of all-time worst decisions that the American broadcast TV networks have made.

*The one mess-up involving ABC that most immediately comes to mind from the start is them oversaturating amd overrelying on Who Wants to be a Millionaire by putting it on almost every weeknight.

*The David Westin regime at ABC News.

I agree with you on WWTBAM. I could see that it was cheaply-produced, and that FIVE other series got cancelled to make room for it. This IMO was the point where TV, as I knew it, had just "Jumped the Shark".
Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
mr awesome
Forum Regular

This proved to bite ABC in the butt because Going Places wound up only lasting one season.

But 'Step By Step' basically took its place on the sked so it worked out.

ABC turned down a chance to broadcast CSI instead of CBS. Eisner also apparently didn't want Lost (or Desperate Housewives for that matter) even though it was a huge success for ABC.

Also, ABC had first look at The Cosby Show, which buoyed NBC to first in the 80s.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
mr awesome
Forum Regular

Allowing Happy Days to continue once Richie left it should've ended.
Messing with said show once it went from being about Richie and became the Fonzie show that is when the show started getting goofy.

HD should have ended after the '80-81 season when expectant Lori went off to join husband Ritchie. The Cunninghams should have been written out, with the exception of Chachi and Joanie and Happy days should have transformed into an official Fonzie spin-off. Joanie and Chachi could spinoff into their own show mid-season (Spring '82) like IRL.

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
I agree with you on WWTBAM. I could see that it was cheaply-produced, and that FIVE other series got cancelled to make room for it. This IMO was the point where TV, as I knew it, had just "Jumped the Shark".

ABC basically pulled a Jeff Zucker type of move (and ironically, before I think Zucker really began to ruin NBC)!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW was on CBS not ABC
Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
noveel
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
I think...ABC's biggest mess-up was...having it be Disney-owned!

By 1997, ABC lost "Family Matters" and "Step by Step", but favored less successful shows for TGIF. Then for SatAM...ABC had "One Saturday Morning" which I felt was a Monopoly after 2000 when "Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show" ended its run on ABC. And somewhere in the 2000's, "Wonderful World of Disney" ended since I think it was on a Saturday which it should've been on Sunday.

That...and losing MNF!

Disney isn't interested in putting sports on ABC since they can make more $$$ on E$PN
Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by noveel
Disney isn't interested in putting sports on ABC since they can make more $$$ on E$PN

That's why I don't like Disney. If it wasn't for The Disney Ducks (Donald, Scrooge, Daisy, etc.), Touchstone Pictures, and the former Disney Afternoon...I'd dodge them like the plague because all they want is cash cows like tween music and overusing Mickey Mouse which in my honest opinion is one of the most unfunniest characters out there and NOTHING really happens to him.

Maybe this should be their theme rather than "When you Wish Uopn a Star"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bwNqasHgpo

What will Disney buy next?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
mr awesome
Forum Regular

When Disney took over ABC the first thing that happened was meddling with GMA. GMA was number 1 at the time, changes were made, trips to Walt Disney World, replacing the veteran on-air staff with relative rookies. Today was on a surge with Matt Lauer's popularity increasing and GMA stumbled not too long after. Lucky for Disney/ABC, Today has been mismanaged and GMA is on top.

I love the Disney company, their characters, their parks, their movies now for years. At the time I was so excited when they bought ABC as I was anticipating 'The Disney Network.'
Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

I totally agree with the oversaturation of WWTBAM. I think Regis Philbin is annoying anyway and him being all over the network didn't help. I also agree about cancelling AMC and OLTL in favor of more generic boring reality/lifestyle shows with The Chew and The Revolution.

Thinking Welcome to the Neighborhood, a reality show where rich, white surburbanites get to pick which minority family would be moving into a home in their neighborhood would be good drama. They pulled it after complaints there could be potential racism and stereotyping.

Constantly preempting the popular soap Edge of Night and then ultimately cancelling it in 1984.

Not giving V a chance with the constant preempting of that show.

Allowing The Bachelor and The Bachelorette to continue despite only having one successful contestant finding love and actually getting married.