Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Hangin' with Mr. Cooper links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Hangin' with Mr. Cooper Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > Hangin' with Mr. Cooper
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: Boned When...
Second Season - Moved to TGIF and became a family show 2 28.57%
Never Boned 2 28.57%
Day 1 0 0%
They did it - Mark and Vanessa 2 28.57%
New Kid in Town - Mark's cousin Geneva and her daughter Nicole 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Question Hangin' with Mr. Cooper Boned the Fish When...

http://www.bonethefish.com/viewtopics.php?3422

Quote:
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper is an American television sitcom that originally aired on ABC from 1992 to 1997, starring Mark Curry and Holly Robinson. The show took place in Curry's hometown of Oakland, California. Hangin with Mr. Cooper was produced by Jeff Franklin Productions, in association with Warner Bros. Television (it was produced by Lorimar Television for the first season only, and was the last sitcom produced by Lorimar before it was absorbed by Warner Bros.) and also became produced by Bickley-Warren Productions by the third season. The show originally aired on Tuesdays in prime time after sister series Full House (which was also created by Jeff Franklin and set in the San Francisco Bay area). The show found its niche as an addition to the already successful TGIF Friday night lineup on ABC, and was part of the lineup from September 1993 to May 1996 (spanning the show's second, third and fourth seasons; airing in-between Step By Step and the newsmagazine 20/20), before moving to Saturdays for its fifth and final season.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
waichingliu81
debbie allen

i have to say that throughout the seasons of this show, i never disliked any moment when the show headed in a different direction.

even the mark and vanessa romance storyline - i liked them together but the timing of it, was a bit too late in the series.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
TMC
Forum Veteran

https://web.archive.org/web/20070225...ptheshark.com/

• Other Thoughts:

Ok I think that's correct, but when Raven-Symone joined the cast, the show just started to reek...just like with The Cosby Show.
    Raven Samone's butt to join the cast. This kid ruined the Cosby show too, why did they get her? YUCK!
    They should have made Nell Carter's character more important to the show.
    A stupid premise that made a stupid show; Nell Carter's recurring role couldn't save it.
    I almost positive Mark Curry's character became some benchwarmer for the Warriors. You just can't top that.
    Hangin' With Mr. Cooper was my favorite show for the longest time! 'twas simple, pure comedy. And now the guy who played Mr. Cooper is on Comedy Central.
    Should Raven Symone be the new Ted McGinley? Let's check her working credits and see how many shows went belly up after her addition.
    Ravyn Simone, who laid an incredibly great show, "The Cosby Show" to rest, widened her reign of terror and poor acting and utter repulsion by wrapping her tentacles around Hangin' With Mr. Cooper which was the funniest thing on ABC on a Friday Night. Since this little chickenhead somehow managed to get on the show, it didn't jump, it FLEW over the shark. The plots got lamer, the characters got weaker and Vanessa and Mark got together??? They just put the noose around their necks! What happened to Robin, she kicked ass. Raven Simone just proved that even with a little more age, she STILL can't act, still IS NOT cute, and she absolutely proved that watching television was harmful. But still, they wrote this little maggot into the show!!! Who smoked more blunts?: The Monkees while they filmed "Head" or the producers of Hangin with Cooper?
    Jumped the day I realized a show revolving around a man who thinks that STUPID, STUPID face he always makes equals "comedy' just shouldn't exist.
    After Charles Barkley was on it, there's nothing left to do...
    I used to be a substitute teacher. I loved the fact that (like in real life) one day he'd be with the little kids and the next he'd be with the teenagers. There's a lot of humor in the diversity that a job like that brings. When he stopped being a substitute (did he become a full time teacher or a basketball player??? I can't remember) the show stopped being as funny.
    Hangin' with Mr. Cooper was the funniest show on television until it was moved to TGIF (ABC's Friday night lineup) and toned down for the kids.
    I don’t think this show jumped the shark, but one thing that bothers me is that Vanessa was smart in the beginning, then they made her dumb, then near the end they made her smart again. I don’t know what the writers were thinking. I also wished Mark and Vanessa would have at least had a wedding episode and then went off.
    Hangin' with Mr. Cooper did not jump the shark. In fact, i feel shame for the television community has a whole for canceling it. Anyone who did not watch the show really missed out. Mr. Cooper was the coolest guy alive, and he wore some of the coolest clothes i've ever seen. HANGIN' WITH MR. COOPER ROCKS!!!!
    Oooooh that Nicole (played by Raven you-know-who) was SO annoying! If there was a Three Strikes law on ruining TV shows, Little Miss Hyphenated Name would be treading on mighty thin ice right now!
    THE DAY THIS ILL CONCEIVED PILE OF CRAP RECEIVED NETWORK APPROVAL. HELPED PAVE THE WAY FOR ALL THE VACANT TRIPE ON WB AND UPN. SHOULD HAVE HANGED MR COOPER.
    Perhaps the producers of "Hangin' With Mr. Cooper" wanted to save money by recycling the old "Growing Pains" set. At least the plots weren't all that bad. What I can't figure out is why all these hateful comments against Raven-Symone? Say what you will about her acting ability and what her character of Nicole added to the show, but I can't understand why you hate her so much. It's as if you're making this personal. So go ahead, kill her off and bury her in the graveyard, along with Lindsey and Sidney Greenbush (Carrie Ingalls) and Alison Balson (Nancy Olesen) from of "Little House on the Prairie" and Courtney Chase (Kennedy from "Blossom") and all the other little "brat" girls-who-ruin-a-show that you can think of. Self righteous indeed!
    I loved this show during the first season (or two, maybe), when it was just Mark Curry, Holly Robinson (Vanessa), and Dawn Lewis (I forget what her character name was) - anyone remember her? When Dawn Lewis left and they added Raven-Symone and that lady that played her mother, the show jumped. I stopped watching.
    When Mark and Holly Robinson's character fell in love - it was better with sexual tension between them and not boyfriend/girlfriend - was still funny - but lost a spark
    this show never really jumped IMHO. The first year with Robin was OK, then in year 2 Geneva was different (do you know the actress that played her was only 25 when she started- she and Mark were supposed to have been teh same age on teh show, but in a year 2 episode Mark turns 30). In year three we saw more of Omar gooding than we did of Nell Carter. Was she in detox at the time or something? Anyway Gooding's character was a lot of fun to watch. He was actually better here than in The Smart Guy, where he was too old for the character. Check him out in the last year's first and last episodes. He was quite funny! His performances keep the last season watchable, although that last year did have some low moments (Horse and the Rashomon and Buka Buka episodes, and of course Karen Malina White and the ugly guy with the thick eyeglasses. Finally, I've seen Mark Curry in other things (like BET) he looks wasted. too much drugs. He must have wore a lot of make-up on Cooper.
    Hangin' with Mr. Cooper is next to Fresh Prince in the running for Second Greatest Black Comedy Of All Time (excluding Amos and Andy). The one difference between Hangin' and Fresh Prince? Hangin' didn't have very many "A Very Specials".
    this show used to be cool when cooper hung out wit like one of his students but all of a sudden like all these different kids startin showin up.mr cooper doesnt need anybody else hes a one man team.
    I thought this show was cute and funny. Then it came. Raven-Symone. What was the reason she was on the show? I didn't give them a chance to explain why she was on, because I quit watching. And what the hell is with that kids eye brows. She needs to either get them fixed or go into hiding. They're scary looking.
    See, the thing about Mark Curry is that he's actually a great comedian. Most of his material is really adult-oriented. However, the "family" show worked for him for a long time. He pulled it off a lot better than I bet he could have pulled off a raunchy or vulgar show. But Raven-Symone? Waaaaaay too saccharine. I agree with the above poster who suggested she's the new Ted McG. This girl seriously has a complex. Everything she appears in becomes "The Raven Show." She's so desperate to PERFORM - in her new show on the Disney channel, every episode has her dressing up out of character with a funny accent, or singing or dancing or doing something completely cornball just so she can put on a little show. And she completely screwed up Mr. Cooper (AND Cosby) in this exact way. "Cousin Mark this, Cousin Mark that"...She is soooooooooooo annoying. Can we start a new thread here about the dangers this girl poses to any otherwise normal TV show? Something needs to be done. Imagine all the shows she could make jump. Like in a few years they'll decide to give Maggie a voice on "The Simpsons" and she'll be it. Or "The Sopranos" will decide to introduce some young fiesty foil for the teenage son and enter Raven. God, what horrid thoughts.
    In year one the show was on Tuesdays and it was basically a black Three's Company. Then they moved it to Friday and TGIF on ABC. So they had to family orient it. Thus Bye Dawn Lewis. Hello Raven. Yes she was cute the first year on Cosby but she didn't grow up to be pretty
    Mr Cooper was the funniest show on TGIF. Raven really made the show worse, but the show never sucked. That's definitely a testament to the talent of the other actors. The chemistry between Mark and Vanessa was stellar and Mark's physical comedy was some of the best this side of John Ritter. Mark Curry did a comedy show at my college, he had the crowd in stitches, most of them grew up watching Coop. After the show, he stuck around and talked and gave out autographs. I love watching Mr Cooper in reruns because its funny and it starred one of the nicest and classiest men in show business.
    Why on earth would they use the Growing Pains set for the pilot of Hanging' With Mr Cooper? That jus astonished me and was just foolish. I guess that was an imitation of the pilot of "The Cosby Show" ("The Cosby Show" pilot did not take place at the "Growing Pains" Home, but it was at a different home in a similar fashion).
    I was only in 5th grade when this show debuted, and I loved it on Tuesday nights. Curry, Robinson(-Peete), and Dawnn Lewis had excellent chemistry, and when it was just Tyler as the next-door neighbor, it was hilarious. Then the next season, they moved it to TGIF and Raven-Symone, along with "Cousin Geneva" joined the cast, and it got extremely corny. Even at age 10 or 11, I realized the show just wasn't as good as the first season, but I still (tried) to watch, as corny as it had become. It got a little better in the third season, but only a little. One thing: why is it when Mark Curry delivered a joke, he always had to act it out with the gestures? I've never found that to be funny, on any sitcom.
    Of course it jumped when Raven Simone (or is it just "Raven" now? GAG!) joined the cast. The show went from a half-way decent "Three's Company-esq" comedy to cutsie family chum when she came along. And even at age 10, I PREFERRED the show when Dawn Lewis was on. Mark Curry is funny, but TGIF was a straight-jacket to any attempt at half-way adult comedy. And Raven Simone is just plain unbearable. Memo to Disney: Cosby's been over for a long time. SHE'S NOT CUTE ANYMORE!
    I have to say Hangin with Mr Cooper Jumped the Shark after Robin left the show she was a sister she was like the sister you always wanted. The original combination was great two single girls sharing a house with a single man. They all had a great chemistry and Tyler was cool as their little next door neighbour. After robin left Mark become into such a twit and I don't want criticize Raven Symone but her character was quiet irritating and her screen mum was a bit annoying as well.
    This show never jumped, although it did get more annoying when Geneva and Nicole (Raven-Symone) joined. Was this just an attempt to make it more family-oriented, because it just made it more cheesy and corny. Geneva had one of those sickly sweet voices that made you want to puke, and Raven Symone completely overestimated her abilities to act and sing. She's one of those people who start off pretty cute and get a lucky break (like in Cosby), and from then on really becomes seriously deluded in her abilities to perform, but she wants to do it so badly that she just tries to convince us all that she's a real talent. You can tell from the look on her face that she thinks she's amazing. Mark Curry and Holly Robinson saved this show - I disagree with the posters who claim that their getting together ruined things, because it's how we all really wanted it to end, but I agree with the one who said we should have gotten a proper wedding episode. That annoying kid Tyler was just an excuse for Raven to bounce off so they could both play their little cutesy kid roles. Puke
    HANGIN' WITH MR. COOPER was a very funny show in its original format with Mark Curry, Dawnn Lewis, and Holly Robinson Peete as roommates. It was sort of like a black THREE'S COMPANY and was quite entertaining for the most part. The show jumped the shark for good when they fired Dawnn Lewis and hired Sandra Quartermaine and the unbelievably annoying Raven Simone to take her place. The show just got plain dumb after that.
    Hangin' with Mr. Cooper JTS with the addition of Raven Simone. She didn't contribute to show at all. We all know most child actors get older and lose their acting skills. Having Mark's cousins come move in with him was a dumb idea. Nikki and Geneva just filled the set up. Why did Dawn Lewis leave? Nell Carter was good too. Irvin, Irvin's mom, Tyler and the coach at the school made this show more hilarious than it already was. This show ended ugly just like other TGIF shows i.e. (Family Matters and Step by Step). It never got a proper ending. Anyway IMO this is neck and neck with Family Matters as the greatest TGIF show. Funniest episode Irvin couldn't get Boys II Men so him, Mark and Tyler dimmed the lights and acted like them.
    The show jumped the shark the second season. Though the plots were alright they switched the theme song that was really neat the first song to 'I'm a Soul man'. I liked the intro on the first season. Why didn't they just stick to that?
Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
cameroncr95
Occasional Poster

The Show really took a turn for the worst when Robin was written out and the show turned into a family show. It was meant for adults and should have stayed that way.

Also, if you read up online Dawnn Lewis revealed on a blog that she was kicked off the show by producers because when the lead cast found out that the show would be turned into a family friendly show and be moved, as well as get new members of the cast, Dawnn Lewis left the show after a feud. She actually had been taped in an incomplete and never aired premiere for Season 2, where she was in the episode, and actually welcomed the new members of the household. During the feud, Jeff Franklin wrote Robin out of the show, but originally opted to have S2 E1 show that Robin left to move with her fiancé (which was never revealed before, but was to be explained that during the few month timegap between the seasons that she got engaged), and that she would move to northern Cali and leave the household, while Nicole and Geneva would appear in the following episode.
However, show execs simply wanted her gone, so she was then written out completely with no explanation.
Just remember that Robin OWNED the house, as explained in Season 1, while Mark and Vanessa lived there with her. Well, ALL of her furniture and belongings remained in season 2, and this is because it was supposed to be explained that Robin would return to collect her things eventually, but that never happened. Instead, they decided to go along with it and try to make people not notice. Haha.

So, fact is, Feuds caused Lewis to leave the show, and she was to appear in S2 E1 and well as the lost episode of her moving to northern Cali, but it didn't happen. Additionally, due to the changes and other internal feuds, The actress who played Vanessa almost left as well midway through taping the season, but since at the time this was one of ABC's top shows, they made a large payment increase in both Curry and Peete's salaries. If they wouldn't have did the increase, Peete would have left the show and who knows what would have happened. We probably wouldn't have got later seasons.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameroncr95
The Show really took a turn for the worst when Robin was written out and the show turned into a family show. It was meant for adults and should have stayed that way.

Also, if you read up online Dawnn Lewis revealed on a blog that she was kicked off the show by producers because when the lead cast found out that the show would be turned into a family friendly show and be moved, as well as get new members of the cast, Dawnn Lewis left the show after a feud. She actually had been taped in an incomplete and never aired premiere for Season 2, where she was in the episode, and actually welcomed the new members of the household. During the feud, Jeff Franklin wrote Robin out of the show, but originally opted to have S2 E1 show that Robin left to move with her fiancé (which was never revealed before, but was to be explained that during the few month timegap between the seasons that she got engaged), and that she would move to northern Cali and leave the household, while Nicole and Geneva would appear in the following episode.
However, show execs simply wanted her gone, so she was then written out completely with no explanation.
Just remember that Robin OWNED the house, as explained in Season 1, while Mark and Vanessa lived there with her. Well, ALL of her furniture and belongings remained in season 2, and this is because it was supposed to be explained that Robin would return to collect her things eventually, but that never happened. Instead, they decided to go along with it and try to make people not notice. Haha.

So, fact is, Feuds caused Lewis to leave the show, and she was to appear in S2 E1 and well as the lost episode of her moving to northern Cali, but it didn't happen. Additionally, due to the changes and other internal feuds, The actress who played Vanessa almost left as well midway through taping the season, but since at the time this was one of ABC's top shows, they made a large payment increase in both Curry and Peete's salaries. If they wouldn't have did the increase, Peete would have left the show and who knows what would have happened. We probably wouldn't have got later seasons.

I hindsight, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper got lost in the shuffle (it wasn't produced by Miller-Boyett productions, it wasn't a coming-of-age show that really resonated w/ its target audience like Boy Meets World, it didn't have some sort of "gimmick" like Dinosaurs or Sabrina the Teenage Witch) once it became a TGIF, family friendly show instead of a more adult comedy like in the first season.

By the mid-'90s family-oriented shows like Full House were on the way out in favor stuff like Seinfeld and Friends. I think even TGIF started to change or tinker their philosophy as their later shows (e.g. Boy Meets World, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Clueless, Odd Man Out, etc.) were more focused on kids/teenagers instead of entire family unit.

HWMC (and I hope people reading this don't take it the wrong way), became "the other" (but not as entertaining) black TGIF sitcom along w/ Family Matters. So really, whatever niche HWMC was trying to go for after being retooled was already filled.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 AM   #6
SitcomsOffline
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I hindsight, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper got lost in the shuffle (it wasn't produced by Miller-Boyett productions, it wasn't a coming-of-age show that really resonated w/ its target audience like Boy Meets World, it didn't have some sort of "gimmick" like Dinosaurs or Sabrina the Teenage Witch) once it became a TGIF, family friendly show instead of a more adult comedy like in the first season.

Meh...partially true and partially false as far as the bolded.

While not produced directly by Miller-Boyett, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper WAS produced by people who had only worked on and co-produced Miller-Boyett sitcoms (Bickley-Warren & Jeff Franklin). Jesse Frederick & Bennett Salvay (From Miller-Boyett) even composed the music during the 1st season.

Also, like Miller-Boyett's sitcoms, Hangin' Wih Mr. Cooper was distributed by Lorimar.