Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: Boned When...
Fonzie Jumped The Shark - Lame Attempt To Reinvigorate Show 4 12.50%
Richie and Ralph - Lost Two Central Characters 12 37.50%
Filmed Before Studio Audience - Suddenly All The Performers Screamed Their Lines 6 18.75%
Day 1 0 0%
New Characters, Later Seasons - Roger, KC, Flip, Jenny Picalo, etc. 4 12.50%
Al Delvecchio - Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah... 0 0%
Singing - Potsie sounds like the whitest person in the world 2 6.25%
Never Boned 3 9.38%
Exit Stage Left...Chuck Cunningham 1 3.13%
Ralph's Parents Divorce - Beginning of the end. 70s themes in 50s show. 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Question Happy Days Boned the Fish When...

http://www.bonethefish.com/viewtopics.php?76#

Quote:
Happy Days is an American television sitcom that originally aired from 1974 to 1984 on ABC. The show presents an idealized vision of life in 1950s and early 1960s America. The family consists of Howard Cunningham, a hardware store owner, his homemaker wife Marion and the couple's two children, Richie, an optimistic if somewhat naive teenager, and Joanie, Ritchie's sweet but feisty younger sister. The Cunninghams also had an older son named Chuck, a character who disappeared during the second season. The earlier episodes revolve around Richie and his friends, Potsie Weber, Ralph Malph and local dropout Arthur "The Fonz" Fonzarelli, but as the series progressed, "Fonzie" proved to be a favourite with viewers and soon more story lines were written to reflect his growing popularity. Soon Fonzie befriended Richie and the Cunningham family. The focus would also occasionally shift to other additional characters, such as Fonzie's cousin Chachi, who became a love interest for Joanie Cunningham. This long-running show spawned several other television series, including Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, and Joanie Loves Chachi.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

I put when they switched to a live audience, but it also "boned" when it became "the Fonzie show" and when it stopped being set in the 50s and changed the setting to the 70s with a small sprinkling of the 50s.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

"Al Delvecchio - Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edFocxTsUKI

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
lj01
Frequent Poster

Interesting (maybe not) but I was reading in a newspaper archive article from summer 1980 that there was anticipation that HD would bring back the Chuck character for the 1980-81 season (the one where Richie & Ralph had departed). I think it mentioned the specific actor who had earlier played Chuck. I guess those plans (if they were) got scrapped and ended up bringing in the new character Roger.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

The departure of Ron Howard and Don Most!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
loaferman
Forum Regular

Too much Fonzie. It changed the whole tone of the show. The screaming audience did not help matters either.
“It was ‘Will and Grace,’ it was the social media. Literally. That’s what changed peoples’ attitudes. That’s why I was so certain that the vast majority of people would embrace and rapidly embrace” gay marriage, Biden said.

“Think behind of all that, I bet you 85 percent of those changes, whether it’s in Hollywood or social media are a consequence of Jewish leaders in the industry. The influence is immense, the influence is immense."
-Vice President Joe Biden May 2013
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Fonzie is what made the show. HD probably would have been cancelled after season 2 if it wasn't retooled.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
LittleRickyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
I put when they switched to a live audience, but it also "boned" when it became "the Fonzie show" and when it stopped being set in the 50s and changed the setting to the 70s with a small sprinkling of the 50s.

Wow, I agree with everything you said here. I think it was a wonderful show the first two seasons. Loved it! It felt like an authentic portrayal of family life in the '50s, and really took the viewer back to that time. It made the era almost feel tangible. It had warmth, it had heart and it was well written. But then the brought in the hooting and hollering teenybopper studio audience and turned the show into a grotesque caricature of itself, all in an attempt to draw in hoards of kids and young viewers. Fonzie was made into an over-the-top superhero/magician, no longer a "real" character. And the whole flavor of the '50s was all but completely lost. They no longer seemed to care. They just wanted noise and reactions. The women on the show were wearing 1970s/1980s hairstyles. Characters like Leather Tuscadero came on the show singing 1970s music. It was all kitsch and no substance. I believe the producers made a deal with the devil, forsaking quality and substance in exchange for high ratings from juiced up teenage viewers wanting to be part of a cool new thing.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Skywalker
Forum Veteran

When Richie and Ralph left the show. I used to think the show was unwatchable after they left but I've been watching episodes from the last few seasons the past few months and it's really not as bad as I once thought it was. The episode where Fonzie meets a woman who he thinks is his mom was great and I also loved the episode where Jenny thinks she is married to Fonzie. Still, the show lost a lot of magic when Richie left. Just too much Joanie and Chachi and the addition of Roger, otherwise it's ok.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Happy Days "Boned the Fish" in the episode where Fonzie literally boned a fish. LOL, kidding of course. With this new term, Fonzie is no longer the face of when a show goes bad.

This is actually a tough one for me. I liked it all the way through. It definitely changed. There's no denying that but I like all the seasons. So I don't actually have an answer for this one. "Never Boned" doesn't seem right either. I don't know.

(1) Andy Richter Controls the Universe (2) Boy Meets World (3) Cheers (4) Community (5) Ellen (6) Grounded for Life (7) Hey Dude (8)The Honeymooners (9) I Love Lucy (10) The King of Queens (11) Married … with Children (12) Mister Ed (13) The Munsters (14) Ned and Stacey (15) Newhart (16) NewsRadio (17) Night Court (18) Norm (19) The Office (20) Parks & Recreation (21) Rhoda (22) Spin City (23) Taxi (24) That ‘70s Show (25) Wings
Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
Dianne3
Forum Regular

Ritchie, Ralph and Potsie were outgrowing their roles by the time Ron Howard and Don Most left.
That is why I believe Chachi was introduced the year before.

So even though the show was not the same after Ron Howard left, the final 2years with him weren't that great either, IMO.

So, I say when RH started to outgrow the part of Ritchie.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRickyII
Wow, I agree with everything you said here. I think it was a wonderful show the first two seasons. Loved it! It felt like an authentic portrayal of family life in the '50s, and really took the viewer back to that time. It made the era almost feel tangible. It had warmth, it had heart and it was well written. But then the brought in the hooting and hollering teenybopper studio audience and turned the show into a grotesque caricature of itself, all in an attempt to draw in hoards of kids and young viewers. Fonzie was made into an over-the-top superhero/magician, no longer a "real" character. And the whole flavor of the '50s was all but completely lost. They no longer seemed to care. They just wanted noise and reactions. The women on the show were wearing 1970s/1980s hairstyles. Characters like Leather Tuscadero came on the show singing 1970s music. It was all kitsch and no substance. I believe the producers made a deal with the devil, forsaking quality and substance in exchange for high ratings from juiced up teenage viewers wanting to be part of a cool new thing.

I posted an article here not to long ago about how Happy Days basically became the #1 rated TV show in America through "selling out". If you look at the early episodes of Happy Days (when it was shot w/ a single camera) to the latter episodes (when it was a multi-camera show in front of a live-studio audience), they're absolutely different shows. The early Happy Days for better or for worse, felt more like an authentic period piece/nostalgia program and not a cartoon. The problem w/ multi-camera sitcoms when compared to single camera ones is that they some how feel cheaper, more formulaic or artificial, and overall, studio bound.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
MikeL
Mike Lutton Dvd Legond!

there was to much joanie and chichi storylines that got out of control and potsie was like a background character to barley being there at all.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Dianne3
Forum Regular

Happy Days was on ABC.
ABC was always a distant third in the ratings until the mid-to late seventies.
So from that standpoint, it is understandable why HD did whatever it took to increase their viewership.

What made Happy Days popular, IMO, was the relationship between Richie & Fonz. The Fonz was like a big brother to Richie. Of course, that was Richie's actual big brother Chuck disappeared.
That relationship worked when Richie was coming of age. However, once Richie was older he didn't need to always be running to the Fonz.
I cringe at a later episode where Richie is drugged at some party, and later the Fonz had to come to his rescue.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
Torgo
Forum Veteran
Art by Baby Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne3
Happy Days was on ABC.
ABC was always a distant third in the ratings until the mid-to late seventies.
So from that standpoint, it is understandable why HD did whatever it took to increase their viewership.

What made Happy Days popular, IMO, was the relationship between Richie & Fonz. The Fonz was like a big brother to Richie. Of course, that was Richie's actual big brother Chuck disappeared.
That relationship worked when Richie was coming of age. However, once Richie was older he didn't need to always be running to the Fonz.
I cringe at a later episode where Richie is drugged at some party, and later the Fonz had to come to his rescue.

Yeah, I've never liked it when Richie is scared, then when Fonzie shows up Richie suddenly acts like a tough guy, Fonz also had to come to Richie's rescue when Richie got the job at the newspaper.