Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #106
mr awesome
Forum Regular

Anyone read Warren Littlefield's book, I was putting in time at B&N and came across it. Carsey-Werner offered Roseanne to Tartikoff, right off the heels of their success with The Cosby Show but he didn't care for her act. Roseanne and Louie Anderson both performed that night, BT kinda liked LA though.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #107
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr awesome
Anyone read Warren Littlefield's book, I was putting in time at B&N and came across it. Carsey-Werner offered Roseanne to Tartikoff, right off the heels of their success with The Cosby Show but he didn't care for her act. Roseanne and Louie Anderson both performed that night, BT kinda liked LA though.

Yes, I have Warrren's book, it was a good read. an easy read. he also said that when casting Mad About You, the role of Jamie had two finalists; Helen Hunt, who obviously got the role, and Terri Hatcher, who auditioned for and was a network favorite. But it was obvious when Helen and Paul were on-camera together that they sparked in a way he didn't with Terri. A year later, Terri got cast on Lois & Clark.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #108
Mace Dolex

When they cancelled the original V-The Series, Misfits Of Science and of course Manimal.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #109
irehtman

One more thing, I warned you not to bring the Sbtb original class back to public, otherwise the brawl between the normal fans and the mental disabled fans of the sbtb original class will return and never end right away.

I am now the retired fan of Sbtb on all classes.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #110
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
One more thing, I warned you not to bring the Sbtb original class back to public, otherwise the brawl between the normal fans and the mental disabled fans of the sbtb original class will return and never end right away.

Wow, I wonder how you'd handle being a part of the Transformers fanbase?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 AM   #111
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:

I'm afraid that this is starting to go a bit astray. Personally on the list of worst decisions that NBC has ever made, anything SBTB related (when compared to the whole Jeff Zucker era, the XFL, the "Heidi Game", the Conan O'Brien/Jay Leno Tonight Show fiasco, and the 1979-81 period for instance) is way, way down on the totem-pole.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 AM   #112
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenky
Every network has its own mistakes, so let's start with NBC:

- Roseanne (ABC rejected The Cosby Show which is probably the biggest mistake in history of television), show was number 1 and one of the highest rated shows in early to mid 90s when NBC once again fell to number 3

- Star Trek: TNG, it's still most successful scripted hit in syndication although CBS and ABC also rejected TNG while FOX could only commit to 13 episodes

- CSI, first offered to FOX, then to NBC and ABC before landing on CBS

- Baywatch, also big hit in syndication.

Leaving A Different World on Thursday 8:30pm, this show was lead-in dependent as proven when Cosby ended, LA Law on Thursday 10pm until its very end (it was never top10 show), also Night Court aired too long behind Cheers (4 years).

Miami Vice against Dallas, NBC should have waited another year before moving it to 9pm.

NBC should have left Frasier on Thursday 9pm at least until February '95 when Friends took that slot and that's because ABC moved Home Improvement to Tuesday.

NBC's :30pm comedies in 90s - Suddenly Susan, The Single Guy, Caroline in the City. 3rd Rock from the Sun and Just Shoot Me! had the most potential, but biggest NBC's problem was not finding replacements for Seinfeld and Friends, W&G was also lead-in dependent.

Cheers wasn't on air for too long, it helped to launch Seinfeld

Personally, the mishandling cancellation of the original Star Trek (partially, to protect the now "deader than disco" Laugh In) was a far worst NBC related move than not picking up TNG. What's worse is that around the same time that Star Trek: TOS was taken off the air for good (the reason why it got a third season was because NBC's then parent company RCA, at the time held the patent to color televisions, which was a key reason for why people wanted to watch Star Trek in the first place), the ratings system was changed. What this means is that instead of simply measuring in total viewers, they also measured in demographics, for which Star Trek was hugely successful in.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:42 AM   #113
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Going back to the subject of Conan O'Brien on The Tonight Show, one thing that really annoys me is that how O'Brien pretty much had to uproot his staff and family from New York (where he did his first NBC show) to Los Angeles. What's annoying about this is that Jimmy Fallon, when he will take over The Tonight Show come February 2014 will get to say in New York. Therefore, it was in hindsight, very pointless to make Conan O'Brien go across the country in the first place.

Personally, NBC should have it's two weekday late night shows on both coasts (one in New York and one in LA). Thus, I'm not entirely comfortable w/ the idea of having the new Late Night show w/ Seth Meyers be in New York also. You run the risk of diluting the guest pool so to speak by having everything in one location at once.

I can kind of understand why NBC feels that they need to move Jimmy Fallon into The Tonight Show spot as soon as possible. They more or less, feel that they have to appeal to the youth demographic, would would otherwise go to Jimmy Kimmel at the same time on ABC. The problem w/ this is that the Tonight Show brand or whatever you want to call it has been seriously diluted or tarnished because of the whole Leno to O'Brien to Leno again do hickey. Plus, the same audience that Fallon and Kimmel has to compete w/ also pretty much, has to compete w/ Conan O'Brien, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert on Comedy Central, and even Arsenio Hall (the second time around), and Chelsea Handler on E!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 AM   #114
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
MTV2 is one of less-publicized networks in television, and i will never repeat this again, this original class will be put in MTV2 network forever right after the 20th anniversary reunion incident of the original class and the never-ending brawl between normal fans and mental disabled fans.

The normal fans were supporting zack, slater, Kelly, Jessie and lisa, while the mental disabled fans were supporting screech.

I used to be a fan of all characters in both original and new classes, but now this brawl never ends and I had to insist to retire from watching all Sbtb classes, including this original Sbtb one!

In regards to what's wrong w/ MTV2 now a days, basically it has no real direction or identity. It's as if MTV2 has to throw things to a wall and see what sticks (kind of like regular MTV).
Old 01-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #115
Frenky
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Personally, the mishandling cancellation of the original Star Trek (partially, to protect the now "deader than disco" Laugh In) was a far worst NBC related move than not picking up TNG. What's worse is that around the same time that Star Trek: TOS was taken off the air for good (the reason why it got a third season was because NBC's then parent company RCA, at the time held the patent to color televisions, which was a key reason for why people wanted to watch Star Trek in the first place), the ratings system was changed. What this means is that instead of simply measuring in total viewers, they also measured in demographics, for which Star Trek was hugely successful in.

Something about ST demographics from TV obscurities:

In reality, Star Trek‘s young adult audience wasn’t any larger than the ABC and CBS programs it competed with. According to Television Magazine, the four episodes broadcast between October 27th and November 17th, 1966 averaged 8,630,000 viewers in the 18-to-49 age group, making up 43% of the show’s total audience. By comparison, during the same period ABC’s Bewitched (which aired opposite Star Trek from 9:30-10PM) averaged 10,210,000 young adult viewers or 37% of the total audience.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 AM   #116
TMC
Forum Celebrity

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....today/page-509

Quote:
http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....#entry16237642

I seriously do not understand the thinking behind the decision to add Tamron to the 3rd hour.

I suspect it's something they didn't necessarily want to do. I think their primary motivation is that they feel they absolutely must keep Tamron for MSNBC, which is losing anchors left and right. And there was no way Tamron would renew her MSNBC contract without some guarantee that she'd get a more prominent role on NBC. So they dangle that 3rd hour of Today for her.

NBC has always had a bit of problem with that- they just can't bring themselves to lose particular people, so they dangle things out there without considering the long-term consequences. It happened with Leno-Conan, with Ann Curry, and now with Tamron.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:56 AM   #117
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Going back to the subject of Conan O'Brien on The Tonight Show, one thing that really annoys me is that how O'Brien pretty much had to uproot his staff and family from New York (where he did his first NBC show) to Los Angeles. What's annoying about this is that Jimmy Fallon, when he will take over The Tonight Show come February 2014 will get to say in New York. Therefore, it was in hindsight, very pointless to make Conan O'Brien go across the country in the first place.

Personally, NBC should have it's two weekday late night shows on both coasts (one in New York and one in LA). Thus, I'm not entirely comfortable w/ the idea of having the new Late Night show w/ Seth Meyers be in New York also. You run the risk of diluting the guest pool so to speak by having everything in one location at once.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....-leno/page-102

Quote:
http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....#entry15920073

OK, here it is. They want Fallon in this spot, because he's younger and uses Twitter and has the oh-so-cool Roots. And I do think Roots is the best ever late night band.

But, who watches late night TV? Half of the older people watch it live. The other half DVR it because they fall asleep before 11:30. I say this as from personal experience.

I used to think late night TV would never get a big audience in the 24-30 year-old range. I would like now to think maybe with the prevalence of DVR's, the younger audience will take the time to DVR late night TV and watch it the next day, or whenever.

But whether the young watch it or not, and even if NBC thinks they need a new direction, Jay Leno is far more superior to Fallon. And I love Fallon, I really do. It's just that Leno is so much better at sitting down with people. And at the end of the day, that's really the gist of the show.

But, I fear the day of quality rapport between a host and a guest is soon to deteriorate into an hour of employee-written twitter feeds, game-show reenactments and nothing more than reality show nonsense.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:05 AM   #118
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Didn't Conan O'Brien make NBC put a clause in his last contract extension that we would eventually be "promoted" to The Tonight Show in a certain amount of years? Also, Conan and/or his lawyers should've put in a clause in his contract that NBC couldn't move his Tonight Show out of the 11:35 PM spot. So in a sense, Conan kind of brought it on to himself.

I'm not saying that Jay Leno is totally innocent in all of this. Personally, Leno should've had the foresight to know that going five shows a week in prime time was going to in the long run, actually hurt NBC more than help. Leno should've stepped aside and go to another channel/network if he felt that he wasn't entirely finished. The whole thing made it look like he was going Jeff Zucker (who is the main person we should blame for this fiasco not Conan or Jay) and company a favor.

NBC, I think was also afraid of having another situation like they did when David Letterman moved to CBS after being passed over for The Tonight Show in favor of Jay Leno after Johnny Carson (who preferred Letterman over Leno as his successor) retired in 1992.

They basically didn't want Conan O'Brien to move to rival network (which eventually happened anyway) but because Jay Leno was still a big ratings winner for NBC and of course, NBC didn't want him to go to a rival network too, they wanted to keep him happy so to speak too. Also, since Jeff Zucker was pretty much a "manage by margins" type of executive, he figured to just "kill two birds w/ one stone" and have Leno on five nights a week instead of more expensive scripted programming.

Last edited by TMC : 02-04-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 PM   #119
noveel
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
NBC I think was also afraid of having another situation like they did when David Letterman moved to CBS after being passed over for The Tonight Show in favor of Jay Leno after Johnny Carson (who preferred Letterman over Leno as his successor) retired in 1992.

They basically didn't want Conan O'Brien to move to rival network (which eventually happened anyway) but because Jay Leno was still a big ratings winner for NBC and of course, NBC didn't want him to go to a rival network too, they wanted to keep him happy so to speak too. Also, since Jeff Zucker was pretty much a "manage by margins" type of executive, he figured to just "kill two birds w/ one stone" and have Leno on five nights a week instead of more expensive scripted programming.

When they promised Conan the Tonight Show, they assumed Leno would retire
Old 02-02-2014, 03:37 AM   #120
TMC
Forum Celebrity

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....#entry16274961

Quote:
That Full House skit and many of his other bits like the rap montages etc. are why I don't think he will be successful at The Tonight Show, unless the audience for show is primarily around his age bracket. Much of Fallon's comedy plays to those whose pop cultural references are embedded in the '80s and '90s. A number of my family members in their 50s and up watch Leno, and they wouldn't have a clue about something like Full House or the History of Rap, and without the references its not entertaining.

And related, my 60 something father told me that he saw Mitt Romney's slow jam the news segment on Meet the Press and he didn't get why that was "supposed to be funny". The whole concept just didn't resonate with him. I am sure he will be watching Letterman once Fallon takes over.

I do hope Fallon gets the audience he needs in this new venture.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....#entry16278914

Quote:
I don't think NBC cares if he loses the older demo. The reason they are replacing Leno is so they can put a younger guy in there who will attract the younger demo, because that's what advertisers value.