Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #76
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFabiano524
One word: AmeriCoupling. Ruined the reputation and original writing of a great BBC show.

The Tonight Show fiasco of the late 2000s. It would be like it Bob Barker scheduled a new show for himself on CBS's schedule after "retiring" from The Price Is Right. And that show was suspiciously similar to TPIR.

And someone wanted Happy Days to keep on going? Wow, just wow. The Garry Marshall shows had a knack for limping to the finish. This is why there's such a backlash towards the Simpsons (because they are kept around past their expiration date because the name and reputation alone gets them over)

Technically, "Earl" did have a finish, only we'll never know it. Because you needed to have the Raising Hope characters keep watching the newscast that previewed "a small-town criminal's quest to make good, and you won't believe how it ended."

Four more words: GAME SHOW DEATH DAY. AKA the end of Chain Reaction, High Rollers, and Hollywood Squares. Also pulling a Bullseye/Hot Potato on Weakest Link, as the end of the run became Celebrity Weakest Link and nothing but.

Hiring Jon Bauman to host the Hollywood Squares portion of the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour. Now, hear me out. I didn't think Jon was as awful as others do. However, it was a curious choice, moreso when Mark Goodson was basically throwing a rookie into one of the most iconic formats in game show history. Plus it's not like Peter Marshall had something to do at the time, with his Fantasy just being cancelled.

2003 Let's Make A Deal. The least said, the better. At least Wayne Brady and CBS have rebuilt the show's reputation and success.

Beginning the death of SatAM animation with T-NBC (not that I didn't enjoy those shows...) The other channels being enveloped by big corporations continued the rot.

I'm going to try to play "devil's advocate" in regards to NBC pulling out of the Saturday morning cartoon business after 1991-92 in favor T-NBC (or basically, the "Peter Engel block"):
http://www.animationnation.com/cgi-b...c;f=1;t=013369

Quote:
December 05, 2008 12:14 AM

I mentioned earlier that NBC was the first of the major networks to abandon cartoons for their Saturday morning slots. This was the 1991 TV season, when they had 7 animated series being produced by Andy Heyward's DIC Entertainment. DIC did an abysmally poor job on these shows. The problem was obvious. They just didn't give a damn. Quality was the last thing Andy Heyward cared about. It was no wonder that NBC gave up the ghost after a season of those cartoons. I was there at the studio during that production season. Some of these shows had promise, and the crews in Burbank wanted to do well, but the apathy from the top didn't provide much motivation for doing a decent job. "Do It Cheap" was an appropriate nickname for that place, and what it lead to was the death of Saturday morning cartoons on NBC, not Peggy Charren.

DIC was and could've continued to be a powerhouse in animation if Heyward cared about more than how much money he could make. Today, although they still maintain a production presence in Burbank, DIC is nothing.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #77
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
Jay Leno didn't "retire", he was forced out. Conan the Barbarian never should have stolen the Tonight Show from him in the first place. Now Leno is being forced out a 2nd time (several months before his contract expires). I wish NBC had the same respect for Leno that CBS does for Letterman.

Didn't Conan O'Brien make NBC put a clause in his last contract extension that we would eventually be "promoted" to The Tonight Show in a certain amount of years? Also, Conan and/or his lawyers should've put in a clause in his contract that NBC couldn't move his Tonight Show out of the 11:35 PM spot. So in a sense, Conan kind of brought it on to himself.

I'm not saying that Jay Leno is totally innocent in all of this. Personally, Leno should've had the forsight to know that going five shows a week in prime time was going to in the long run, actually hurt NBC more than help. Leno should've stepped aside and go to another channel/network if he felt that he wasn't entirely finished. The whole thing made it look like he was going Jeff Zucker (who is the main person we should blame for this fiasco not Conan or Jay) and company a favor.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #78
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
You have to say it Vince McMahon style: "the X-F-LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!"

I think that the biggest mistake that the XFL made was that they (e.g. NBC and Vince McMahon/WWE or WWF at the time) tried to sell it off as "real", hard-nose football. Anybody w/ half a brain cell will quickly realize that the NFL is regardless, we're you first and foremost get high-quality football.

The XFL should've played up the sports-entertainment angle (I guess make it like the football version of Monday Night Raw) much further (and not tried to play up too much the comparisons and/or differences w/ the NFL). It seemed like they tried to have it's cake and eat it too (please football fans and wrestling fans at the same time) and they didn't have a solid identity in the end.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #79
jonathan c herron
Frequent Poster

listing to Nielsen Media Research !
there a joke to many good shows get canned and to many bad shows stay on !
one of them is Seinfeld that show should never have made it it was a wast of 30 min !
also killing off cartoon on saturday morning in the early 90"s !
but you can think nick and the disney channel and cartoon channel for that .
the facts of life and different strokes was want help save N.B.C IN THE EARLY 80'S .

as people are talking about shows that should have been on longer
a few shows i think should have been on longer
Happy days abc
the dukes of hazzard cbs
nightrider nbc
the A team NBC
Different strokes nbc /abc
Remington Steele nbc
black magic nbc

some of these shows like black magic did not even last a whole year

as for brothers that show would never have made it on network tv
the churchs would have boycotted the network
just like they did soap in the 70's
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #80
Yong Fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
HAPPY DAYS should have been cancelled in its 2nd season when it stopped being set in the 50s and changed the setting to the 70s with a sprinkling of the 50s mixed in, added the godawful live audience and became "the Fonzie show"

That is why I dislike Happy Days.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #81
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan c herron
listing to Nielsen Media Research !
there a joke to many good shows get canned and to many bad shows stay on !
one of them is Seinfeld that show should never have made it it was a wast of 30 min !
also killing off cartoon on saturday morning in the early 90"s !
but you can think nick and the disney channel and cartoon channel for that .
the facts of life and different strokes was want help save N.B.C IN THE EARLY 80'S .

as people are talking about shows that should have been on longer
a few shows i think should have been on longer
Happy days abc
the dukes of hazzard cbs
nightrider nbc
the A team NBC
Different strokes nbc /abc
Remington Steele nbc
black magic nbc

some of these shows like black magic did not even last a whole year

as for brothers that show would never have made it on network tv
the churchs would have boycotted the network
just like they did soap in the 70's

Seinfeld bad, and more Happy Days and Diff'rent Strokes? Should I call Superman because Bizarro is posting here? j/k

As I said before, Happy Days was well past its expiration date by the time the '80s came along. No Richie, no Ralph, no lack of Roger and other weak replacements, no joy. And considering we got to the Sam era of Strokes, whoaaaaaa....

Next, you'll tell us that they should have continued Brady Bunch and explored the character of Cousin Oliver. j/k again...
Old 12-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #82
jonathan c herron
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Seinfeld bad, and more Happy Days and Diff'rent Strokes? Should I call Superman because Bizarro is posting here? j/k

As I said before, Happy Days was well past its expiration date by the time the '80s came along. No Richie, no Ralph, no lack of Roger and other weak replacements, no joy. And considering we got to the Sam era of Strokes, whoaaaaaa....

Next, you'll tell us that they should have continued Brady Bunch and explored the character of Cousin Oliver. j/k again...
it still had a little something left .
and no that would not have worked without Robert Reed

the whole point is that some shows are canned before there time . and some that should have been canned are not caned .
point Riptides and blacks magic two good shows that with the right placement could have gone on longer
Old 12-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #83
mr awesome
Forum Regular

NBC wanted out of the Saturday Morning game for a couple of years before they finally pulled the trigger. I remember seeing a report on the news about saturday morning ratings decline and that NBC was test marketing a Saturday Morning Newscast to replace its Cartoon line-up. By the late 80s NBC's sked was in shambles, Chipmunks and Smurfs faded and there were no big hits to replace them.

Over on CBS they hit a home run with Garfield and Freinds and then a few years later another home run with Ninja Turtles. ABC had the Real Ghostbusters, Winnie the Pooh which became ABC mainstays for many years, as well as stalwarts such as Bugs Bunny and Tweety and the Weekend Special. NBC did not have such luck.

NBC should have picked up the Uncanny X-Men cartoon in '89 instead of The Karate Kid. Heck, they should've picked up both and cut back the final season of Smurfs down to a half hour.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #84
factsoflife

How about the shoddy treatment of Anne Curry on "The Today Show" or for that matter, making us endure years of Katie Couric?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #85
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr awesome
NBC wanted out of the Saturday Morning game for a couple of years before they finally pulled the trigger. I remember seeing a report on the news about saturday morning ratings decline and that NBC was test marketing a Saturday Morning Newscast to replace its Cartoon line-up. By the late 80s NBC's sked was in shambles, Chipmunks and Smurfs faded and there were no big hits to replace them.

Over on CBS they hit a home run with Garfield and Freinds and then a few years later another home run with Ninja Turtles. ABC had the Real Ghostbusters, Winnie the Pooh which became ABC mainstays for many years, as well as stalwarts such as Bugs Bunny and Tweety and the Weekend Special. NBC did not have such luck.

NBC should have picked up the Uncanny X-Men cartoon in '89 instead of The Karate Kid. Heck, they should've picked up both and cut back the final season of Smurfs down to a half hour.

The biggest hit that NBC had post-Chipmunks and Smurfs was I believe, Saved by the Bell. So it was pretty much a no brainer that NBC felt that needed to fill their Saturday morning line-up w/ a bunch of Saved by the Bell clones like California Dreams, Hang Time, and City Guys

I know that there was a pilot that Marvel made about the X-Men called "Pryde of the X-Men". The pilot involved Kitty Pryde joining the X-Men (made up of Professor Xavier, Cyclops, an Australian accented Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Dazzler), who battled the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants/Terrorists (made up of Magneto, Juggernaut, Pyro, White Queen, Toad, and Blob). It ultimately aired on syndication on The Marvel Action Universe in the time-slot for the animated RoboCop series.

I thought that the animation in the pilot was excellent. However, it did go a tad bit on the campy side (the much of the voice work felt overcooked) and tried to do too much in 22 minutes (when you take out the commercials).

I wouldn't be surprised if NBC choose the The Karate Kid over X-Men because it tied in w/ the third live-action movie from that year. I guess NBC felt like a natural enough of a fit since they had previously aired Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, which featured guest appearances from the X-Men. I heard that one of the reasons why the pilot wasn't picked up for the networks is because they didn't really understand the concept. Like for example, one executive didn't understand why "that Wolverine guy was so mean".
Old 12-21-2013, 04:19 AM   #86
Yong Fang

I have a story similar to the Heidi game......

I forgot exactly what year, but this was the late 1990's. (January of 1998 according to Wikipedia) It was the AFC championship game with John Elway's Broncos playing somebody. If Elway won the game, he went to the Super Bowl (who won that game too.) This I am pretty sure was the first Super Bowl he finally won, being he was 38 and at the end of his career.

I lived in Memphis at the time, and there was a storm in our area. Nothing that severe, but a storm none the less. Now, we are in what we might call "tornado alley"....but we had storms like this often.

During the game, the local affiliate cut in for a weather report. An in depth weather report with the weatherman explaining that there was "severe" weather in the area, an area that covered about 200 miles of the viewing area of the affiliate. The channel would cut in, and the weather guy would talk for 10 minutes or so, which made a lot of viewers like myself aggrevated. I to mad and tried to call the station to put the damn game back on. It was busy, because everyone else was doing the same thing.

The weatherman after cutting in for the third damn time became flustered at the viewers for not wanting to listen to him and wanting to watch the game. What was worse was that this guy had to work on a Sunday and years later reading about him online found out he was a "born again Christian".....who again had to work on a Sunday.

I think finally, there was a crawl on the bottom of the screen because we just flooded the station with calls. There were no tornadoes that day and there wasn't much that could have been done if there was one. There is a word that was invented from this called a "weathergasm", when local TV went nuts and cut into programming for a storm a hundred miles away from the city.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #87
irehtman

Default TMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
The biggest hit that NBC had post-Chipmunks and Smurfs was I believe, Saved by the Bell. So it was pretty much a no brainer that NBC felt that needed to fill their Saturday morning line-up w/ a bunch of Saved by the Bell clones like California Dreams, Hang Time, and City Guys

I know that there was a pilot that Marvel made about the X-Men called "Pryde of the X-Men". The pilot involved Kitty Pryde joining the X-Men (made up of Professor Xavier, Cyclops, an Australian accented Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Dazzler), who battled the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants/Terrorists (made up of Magneto, Juggernaut, Pyro, White Queen, Toad, and Blob). It ultimately aired on syndication on The Marvel Action Universe in the time-slot for the animated RoboCop series.

I thought that the animation in the pilot was excellent. However, it did go a tad bit on the campy side (the much of the voice work felt overcooked) and tried to do too much in 22 minutes (when you take out the commercials).

I wouldn't be surprised if NBC choose the The Karate Kid over X-Men because it tied in w/ the third live-action movie from that year. I guess NBC felt like a natural enough of a fit since they had previously aired Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends, which featured guest appearances from the X-Men. I heard that one of the reasons why the pilot wasn't picked up for the networks is because they didn't really understand the concept. Like for example, one executive didn't understand why "that Wolverine guy was so mean".

I quit being a "Saved By The Bell" fan because of that 20th Anniversary Reunion incident and that causes a never-ending brawl fight between normal fans and mental disabled fans. The original class of SBTB was to badly difficultly made to include the Screech character in it and and that is really very too dangerous for Dustin Diamond to be in it.

There's no problem about Hang Time at all, that show did better than the other TNBC Saturday Morning lineup. I am still now a Hang Time fan, no offense.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #88
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
I quit being a "Saved By The Bell" fan because of that 20th Anniversary Reunion incident and that causes a never-ending brawl fight between normal fans and mental disabled fans. The original class of SBTB was to badly difficultly made to include the Screech character in it and and that is really very too dangerous for Dustin Diamond to be in it.

What exactly happened? I have no idea what you mean.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #89
irehtman

Default factsoflife...

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
What exactly happened? I have no idea what you mean.

They gave Dustin diamond the nerd role to be applied to the difficult made original class, but after the original class ended, Dustin Diamond insisted to quit playing that nerd role and play something better because the nerd role made Dustin both unpopular and mentally ill. They think he portrayed well, but Dustin, the original class fans and the strict TV critics abhorred the nerd role too strongly, especially when it is applied to the difficult-made original class.

But the problem is that the nerd role needs complete teen popularity with better respect and the producers insist dustin not to let go of the nerd role yet. So then, after the college years ended for one season, they brought Dustin and his nerd role back and included in the new class, so he and his nerd role will not only bring back a few old fans of the original class, but to receive complete teen popularity and better respect with the new class.

Along the way, the new class lines encountered a very bad breakdown. Even if you think the nerd role became too annoying, he was supposed to be more lively entertaining and realistic. Although, they should not have made the nerd role too strongly imbalanced along the end of the new class series. In the meantime, the new class students, appearing in season six and seven, were badly turned down and writers screwed all the lines up during those seasons for no reason at all.

At the series finale, there something badly wrong. They did not mention the future of the nerd's role, but instead making him the new principal of Bayside High and he was the only character never left Bayside for no reason at all. they should added an eighth season, so the nerd role can depart properly from Bayside and Richard Belding returns to Bayside as principal from where he left off.

But after the new class series ended, it recieved too much bad publicity and it never brought back on air at all around the planet. The worst thing is that during the SBTB 20th Anniversary reunion, all the original class members returned and they excluded Dustin diamond because of a bad relationship for no reason at all. That type of exclusion on Dustin diamond made him worse and it caused a never-ending brawl fight between both normal fans and mental disabled fans of the SBTB original class. right now, the SBTB original class is no longer airing in public anymore due to what's happening right now.

I know this is bad and very complicated to explain and that's the reason why many SBTB fans, including me, had to quit watching SBTB original class immediately and never watch SBTB original ever again.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #90
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
They gave Dustin diamond the nerd role to be applied to the difficult made original class, but after the original class ended, Dustin Diamond insisted to quit playing that nerd role and play something better because the nerd role made Dustin both unpopular and mentally ill. They think he portrayed well, but Dustin, the original class fans and the strict TV critics abhorred the nerd role too strongly, especially when it is applied to the difficult-made original class.

But the problem is that the nerd role needs complete teen popularity with better respect and the producers insist dustin not to let go of the nerd role yet. So then, after the college years ended for one season, they brought Dustin and his nerd role back and included in the new class, so he and his nerd role will not only bring back a few old fans of the original class, but to receive complete teen popularity and better respect with the new class.

Along the way, the new class lines encountered a very bad breakdown. Even if you think the nerd role became too annoying, he was supposed to be more lively entertaining and realistic. Although, they should not have made the nerd role too strongly imbalanced along the end of the new class series. In the meantime, the new class students, appearing in season six and seven, were badly turned down and writers screwed all the lines up during those seasons for no reason at all.

At the series finale, there something badly wrong. They did not mention the future of the nerd's role, but instead making him the new principal of Bayside High and he was the only character never left Bayside for no reason at all. they should added an eighth season, so the nerd role can depart properly from Bayside and Richard Belding returns to Bayside as principal from where he left off.

But after the new class series ended, it recieved too much bad publicity and it never brought back on air at all around the planet. The worst thing is that during the SBTB 20th Anniversary reunion, all the original class members returned and they excluded Dustin diamond because of a bad relationship for no reason at all. That type of exclusion on Dustin diamond made him worse and it caused a never-ending brawl fight between both normal fans and mental disabled fans of the SBTB original class. right now, the SBTB original class is no longer airing in public anymore due to what's happening right now.

I know this is bad and very complicated to explain and that's the reason why many SBTB fans, including me, had to quit watching SBTB original class immediately and never watch SBTB original ever again.

I am now more confused than ever.. because SBTB continues to air til this day on various cable stations like MTV2.