Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #61
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencasey
Agree that these were all pretty bad moves. NBC had some pretty decent shows in the mid-70s, none of which they gave a chance to beyond one season or less: Lucas Tanner, Doctors Hospital, Medical Story, James at 15, What Really Happened to the Class of 65. I'm sure more if I thought about it.

At one point, NBC had NFL, MLB and NBA and let them all leave because cheapskate GE didn't want to pay. They did get NFL back, although only one game a week but their weekend daytime sports are from hunger. All their money is in NFL and the Olympics. Which their coverage sucks by the way.

Dick Ebersol seems to be a fall-guy of shorts for NBC Sports' decline beginning when they lost the NFL in 1997-98:
http://deadspin.com/5449864/ex+nbc-s...re-of-them-all
Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #62
mr awesome
Forum Regular

Could you imagine what a joke NBC would be without football and the voice. It would be a redux of the 70's with ambitious (desperate) and crappy programming choices and throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. Heck, they already are doing that to an extent with all these reboots--(both aired and developed) It would be a huge train-wreck without SNF.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #63
irehtman

Putting Screech character in a difficult-made original class was too dangerous for actor Dustin Diamond to play on.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air ended before Will's final year of college, bad measurement that part. The show is all about mansion rules and these rules should help Will graduate on time during the series finale.

City Guys should have added actor Alex Morris in its fifth season. He is humorous guy and he plays Billy, the new husband of principal Karen Noble. That show also had a disorganized series finale.

Seinfeld series finale was poorly ended.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #64
mr awesome
Forum Regular

NBC should have forced a Kramer or George spin-off from Seinfeld. After Prison of course. The MR show probably would have had more of an audience if they just called the character Cosmo Kramer.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:57 AM   #65
TMC
Forum Veteran

Question NBC Boned the Fish When...

http://www.bonethefish.com/viewtopics.php?4663

Quote:
The National Broadcasting Company (NBC) is an American commercial broadcasting television network and former radio network headquartered in the GE Building in New York City's Rockefeller Center. Formed in 1926 by RCA, NBC was the first major broadcast network in the United States. Also known as "The Peacock Network".
  • Jeff Zucker
  • When they cancelled Law & Order
  • Seinfield ended
  • Never Boned
  • Day 1
Old 12-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #66
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

What if NBC had never introduced their current six-feather peacock logo in 1986, and stuck with the 11-feather peacock (with or without the abstract N behind it) even today?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #67
irehtman

Fresh Prince ended its series in the wrong time before Will's final year in college. Fresh prince is all about mansion rules, but the mansion rules should help complete his college graduation on time, nothing else.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #68
TMC
Forum Veteran

I think going back to the subject of the decline of NBC Sports during the late '90s (when they first lost the NFL) through the year 2006 (when they got the NFL again via Sunday Night Football), NBC's problem is that they had a bit of a defeatist mentality (it got even worse during the Jeff Zucker era). What I mean is that from at least, a financial standpoint, everything was about "buying low and selling high" so to speak.

What perhaps didn't help was that around this period, NBC put most of their financial resources into the Olympics at the expense of year-around sports like the NFL, MLB and the NBA. I also think that NBC became a bit complacent because they figured that since they were still number one (thanks in no small part to their remaining '90s hits like Friends, Fraiser, and ER) or close to number one, they could get by (at least on short-term) w/o any major sports programming.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #69
TMC
Forum Veteran

Oh No "The Sound of Music Live" costs nearly $9M, NBC to lose money on 1st airing

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ic-cost-661511

But the Peacock is hoping to recoup its costs by repeating the musical annually and via DVD and soundtrack sales.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/tv-tattle#9VZer806HP7UrJ7x.99
Old 12-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #70
TMC
Forum Veteran

Going back to the subject of Conan O'Brien on The Tonight Show, one thing that really annoys me is that how O'Brien pretty much had to uproot his staff and family from New York (where he did his first NBC show) to Los Angeles. What's annoying about this is that Jimmy Fallon, when he will take over The Tonight Show come February 2014 will get to say in New York. Therefore, it was in hindsight, very pointless to make Conan O'Brien go across the country in the first place.

Personally, NBC should have it's two weekday late night shows on both coasts (one in New York and one in LA). Thus, I'm not entirely comfortable w/ the idea of having the new Late Night show w/ Seth Meyers be in New York also. You run the risk of diluting the guest pool so to speak by having everything in one location at once.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #71
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

One word: AmeriCoupling. Ruined the reputation and original writing of a great BBC show.

The Tonight Show fiasco of the late 2000s. It would be like it Bob Barker scheduled a new show for himself on CBS's schedule after "retiring" from The Price Is Right. And that show was suspiciously similar to TPIR.

And someone wanted Happy Days to keep on going? Wow, just wow. The Garry Marshall shows had a knack for limping to the finish. This is why there's such a backlash towards the Simpsons (because they are kept around past their expiration date because the name and reputation alone gets them over)

Technically, "Earl" did have a finish, only we'll never know it. Because you needed to have the Raising Hope characters keep watching the newscast that previewed "a small-town criminal's quest to make good, and you won't believe how it ended."

Four more words: GAME SHOW DEATH DAY. AKA the end of Chain Reaction, High Rollers, and Hollywood Squares. Also pulling a Bullseye/Hot Potato on Weakest Link, as the end of the run became Celebrity Weakest Link and nothing but.

Hiring Jon Bauman to host the Hollywood Squares portion of the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour. Now, hear me out. I didn't think Jon was as awful as others do. However, it was a curious choice, moreso when Mark Goodson was basically throwing a rookie into one of the most iconic formats in game show history. Plus it's not like Peter Marshall had something to do at the time, with his Fantasy just being cancelled.

2003 Let's Make A Deal. The least said, the better. At least Wayne Brady and CBS have rebuilt the show's reputation and success.

Beginning the death of SatAM animation with T-NBC (not that I didn't enjoy those shows...) The other channels being enveloped by big corporations continued the rot.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #72
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
Three Letters

XFL

You have to say it Vince McMahon style: "the X-F-LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!"
Old 12-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #73
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
If The Simpsons can go more than 500 episodes, then the answer is yes for more seasons of Happy Days.

The reaction to the later Simpsons seasons should tell you this isn't a good idea.

Last edited by JMFabiano524 : 12-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #74
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Jay Leno didn't "retire", he was forced out. Conan the Barbarian never should have stolen the Tonight Show from him in the first place. Now Leno is being forced out a 2nd time (several months before his contract expires). I wish NBC had the same respect for Leno that CBS does for Letterman.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #75
JMFabiano524
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
Jay Leno didn't "retire", he was forced out. Conan the Barbarian never should have stolen the Tonight Show from him in the first place. Now Leno is being forced out a 2nd time (several months before his contract expires). I wish NBC had the same respect for Leno that CBS does for Letterman.

This might be a longshot, but... not a Team Coco member, I guess?

Interesting take on the events, I have heard it differently of course. I didn't mean to imply that Leno "retired" with my Barker comment, of course.