Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Disney to Acquire Much of Fox; Roseanne Debut Date Set for ABC
Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #31
mr awesome
Forum Regular

NBC shouldn't have cancelled Mamma's Family, I enjoyed the NBC episodes much more than the later ones. Iola was a nice addition, but I missed Ellen, Fran and the two kids. The characters of the kids could have been fleshed out with another NBC season. With three exiting female characters they should have added another regular female in addition to Iola. Bubba was just a 'Woody Boyd' ripoff but without the charm. Would have preferred Betty and Rue on Mama's Family than the Golden Girls since I never cared for that show and found it vastly overrated.

NBC should have renewed the show for a third season to air on Saturdays. The network was in last place they should have had more patience, especially after the show had decent ratings during the first season.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #32
mr awesome
Forum Regular

NBC should have gave Buffalo Bill more time to be nurtured, at least a full season starting in the fall. Night Court would do well post-Cheers the following season. Buffalo Bill, Cheers and Night Court seemed very compatible with each other, fitting tonally into the workplace style of shows that have traditionally thrived on NBC.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #33
irehtman

Fresh Prince ended in the wrong right before Will smith graduates from college for one more year. Bad timing and bad estimation on that part.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #34
KurtfromPitts

This may offend some of you, and I know he's an icon, but using Casey Kasem as the main promo voice. As great as he was doing Top 40 countdown shows I just thought he was the most grating, annoying promo voice ever, especially when he did dramatic show ads.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #35
soulbrainsfan
Occasional Poster

Turning down Brothers (1984), which eventually went to Showtime where it got little to no publicity.

Setting It's Your Move to fail by putting it up against Dynasty.

Cancelling the original V.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #36
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Messing with and canceling Buck Rogers In The 24th Century just like ABC did with BSG.
Not giving The Misadventures Of Sheriff Lobo there was no need to move them to the city change the theme song and shorten the to Lobo it was fine the way it was.
Allowing the Cosby Show, Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, and Night court to go as long as they did.
Not allowing My Name is Earl to wrap up their cliffhanger.
Canceling Seaquest it was the 90s version of Voyage to The Bottom Of The Sea.
Not canceling Saturday Night Live come on people time to put old Clementine to pasture.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #37
TMC
Forum Celebrity

When I started my thread about the biggest mess-ups/mistakes in ABC history, I mentioned in my initial post about how ABC meddled w/ Mork & Mindy following its first season. After posting this, I remembered that NBC did a similar thing w/ The John Larroquette Show. NBC (I suppose in hopes of making the show more accessible) forced John and company to get rid of all of the quirky, dark humor and it proceeded to become another bland "people w/ relationship problems" (in the Friends mold perhaps) program.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 AM   #38
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpickens
Messing with and canceling Buck Rogers In The 24th Century just like ABC did with BSG.
Not giving The Misadventures Of Sheriff Lobo there was no need to move them to the city change the theme song and shorten the to Lobo it was fine the way it was.
Allowing the Cosby Show, Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers, and Night court to go as long as they did.
Not allowing My Name is Earl to wrap up their cliffhanger.
Canceling Seaquest it was the 90s version of Voyage to The Bottom Of The Sea.
Not canceling Saturday Night Live come on people time to put old Clementine to pasture.

I think a big screw up regarding SNL was installing Jean Doumanian as the executive producer after Lorne Michaels and his crew departed after the 1979-80 season.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #39
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I think a big screw up regarding SNL was installing Jean Doumanian as the executive producer after Lorne Michaels and his crew departed after the 1979-80 season.
yes, that was it's one disastrous season.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 10-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
yes, that was it's one disastrous season.
they had a couple of worse seasons than that under lorne season 19 was just plain awful and season 20 was not much better
Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #41
mr awesome
Forum Regular

NBC cancelling JAG after a first season of solid ratings. They let it grow and be a big hit on CBS. NBC also missed out on the entire NCIS franchise which was planted off of JAG.

Zucker was in charge way too long. They should have took up more soinoff opportunities: both real and planted. I never watched Will & Grace but they had strong, EMMY winning supporting characters that they might have been able to do something with. Personally I would have liked to have seen a Niles/Daphne spin-off of Frasier myself. Cheers and Frasier had such great writers/producers (continuing the MTM, Taxi creative lineage), many of them are on Modern Family now, NBC should have had more development deals with creatives such as them.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr awesome
NBC cancelling JAG after a first season of solid ratings. They let it grow and be a big hit on CBS. NBC also missed out on the entire NCIS franchise which was planted off of JAG.

Zucker was in charge way too long. They should have took up more soinoff opportunities: both real and planted. I never watched Will & Grace but they had strong, EMMY winning supporting characters that they might have been able to do something with.

There were talks briefly for a W&G spin-off centered around Karen (Megan Mullaly) but they were put to rest when NBC saw the poor reception for the Friends spin-off "Joey" and decided not to go down that route. Also, Megan signed a contract for a talk show and that made her unavailable for a proposed spin-off.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #43
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
There were talks briefly for a W&G spin-off centered around Karen (Megan Mullaly) but they were put to rest when NBC saw the poor reception for the Friends spin-off "Joey" and decided not to go down that route. Also, Megan signed a contract for a talk show and that made her unavailable for a proposed spin-off.
tank god they didn't do it! Karen & Jack were so ANNOYING!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #44
bencasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
What most immediately comes to my mind:
*The entire Jeff Zucker era/regime, which saw NBC go from first to worst by the end of the 2000s. This includes giving five nights a week to Jay Leno in prime time.

*"The Heidi Game"

*Canceling shows like Star Trek, Baywatch and JAG, which went on to become even bigger hits elsewhere.

*Just about the entire 1979-80 season (the "Fred Silverman Years" to be more exact or direct).

*Letting NBC Sports deteriorate by the early part of the 2000s w/ the loss of the NFL in 1997 (which naturally, lead to the XFL debacle), MLB in 2000, and NBA in 2002.

*Cutting away from the closing ceremonies for the 2010 and 2012 Olympics in favor of The Marriage Ref and Animal Practice.

*Replacing Jane Pauley w/ Deborah Norville as the female host of Today. Plus, there was the more recent fiasco involving Ann Curry being forced out as female anchor for Today.

Agree that these were all pretty bad moves. NBC had some pretty decent shows in the mid-70s, none of which they gave a chance to beyond one season or less: Lucas Tanner, Doctors Hospital, Medical Story, James at 15, What Really Happened to the Class of 65. I'm sure more if I thought about it.

At one point, NBC had NFL, MLB and NBA and let them all leave because cheapskate GE didn't want to pay. They did get NFL back, although only one game a week but their weekend daytime sports are from hunger. All their money is in NFL and the Olympics. Which their coverage sucks by the way.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #45
howilu

When Lin Bolen headed daytime, she tried to attract a younger audience for the network's game show lineup by bringing in new hosts such as Geoff Edwards, Alex Trebek and Chuck Woolery and cancelling long running shows Jeopardy and Concentration. She also changed the look of daytime TV with shows that had more vibrant sets but one show that turned out to be a major failure was The Magnificent Marble Machine.

Running Saturday Night Live into the ground after the original cast and Lorne Michaels left. I also felt the show had run its course and should have been cancelled many years ago.