Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #16
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

Plus, Happy Days needed to end in 1984, because the ratings had already plummeted, and its cast was ready to move on. Also, both Happy Days and Cheers were produced by Paramount TV.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #17
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryade
Firing Kevin Reilly, who was NBC's head of entertainment from 2004 to 2007. He was working miracles at a network struggling in the post-Friends era. He developed My Name Is Earl (the #1 new scripted show of 2005-06) and Heroes (the #1 new scripted show of 2006-07) and was fired for it.

The straight-to-series idiocy of 2007-08. Turns out pilots exist for a reason.

The Jay Leno Show. Cancelling so much programming had a ripple effect that carries on until today. They needed to develop a ton of shows to fill the gap. That impacted quality, plus they couldn't successfully promote all of them.

Not firing Zucker earlier.

That season in the late 90s when NBC put sitcoms on pretty much every single night. I know this might be controversial on a website dedicated to sitcoms, but they spread themselves far too thin, which really hurt the genre. I blame NBC for the subsequent decline in sitcoms in the 2000s.

You must be referring to the 1997-98 season!
Old 09-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
cherryade
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
You must be referring to the 1997-98 season!
Yes, that's it.

Interesting thread, especially people talking about how networks clone each other to drive genres into the ground. We're seeing that with Modern Family and soft sci-fi right now. NBC is by far the most egregious network at creating bad copycats.

I also enjoyed reading the linked Sepinwall article about the impact of Friends on the sitcom genre.

People tend to forget NBC was making dumb moves pre-Zucker. NBC did amazingly well in the mid-90s, thanks to Frasier, Friends and ER, and that papered over the cracks of the dumb decisions of the next few years.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
James

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvfreak1987
First of all, Happy Days aired on ABC not NBC. Second, Cheers is one of the greatest shows of all time. If anything, cancelling Cheers then would've been another huge blunder for NBC.

I know. Happy Days could have made the same network switch Diff'rent Strokes did in 1985 when it moved from NBC to ABC.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I know. Happy Days could have made the same network switch Diff'rent Strokes did in 1985 when it moved from NBC to ABC.

I don't think that discussing Happy Days at all belongs in this particular discussion about NBC. Now when I eventually get to the topic about the "biggest mistakes/mess-ups in ABC history" then maybe, I'll take this sort of thing under consideration.

With that being said, I think Happy Days better fits in the discussion of TV shows that may have run a few seasons too long. Perhaps Happy Days should've called it a day when Ron Howard decided to leave.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #21
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
I agree with you about the sitcoms. Most of those sitcoms were Friends clones and they were mediocre at best. They overdid it on them. Then you knew it was bad when NBC started with their super-sized Thursdays. They wouldn't have done that if their other sitcoms in the lineup were any good.

You can "thank" Jeff Zucker for the supersizing concept. NBC during the early 2000s under Zucker, seemed to relying on its '90s hits (e.g. Friends and its spin-off Joey, Fraiser, and ER) much longer than maybe they needed to. Along the way, they couldn't develop and nurture new hits. Instead, Zucker opted for "cheaper"/"alternative" programming like Deal or No Deal, The Apprentice, and Fear Factor. NBC came off as a broadcast network TV version of the modern day MTV.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #22
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
Cool cool cool

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

Quote:
Really? It ran 11 seasons, and most of the later seasons are pretty bad. You needed more?

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
Old 09-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #23
factsoflife

NBC failed to use the success of shows like ER, Frasier, Friends, Will & Grace, etc to create future hits. Instead they coasted on the success of those shows and had nothing to replace them with when they ended.

I think keeping E.R. on Thursday nights for it's entire run was a mistake, as soon as ratings started to plummet in it's 10th-11th year, it should have been moved to another night a less important night and replaced with something else.

If anything, NBC's biggest mistake was not realizing how important it would be to create new series to secure it's future.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #24
James

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
Really? It ran 11 seasons, and most of the later seasons are pretty bad. You needed more?

If The Simpsons can go more than 500 episodes, then the answer is yes for more seasons of Happy Days.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
If The Simpsons can go more than 500 episodes, then the answer is yes for more seasons of Happy Days.

That's an extreme case of apples and oranges. Since a show like The Simpsons is animated, then naturally, the characters don't have to visibly age and there's more of a "floating timeline". I don't think a show like Happy Days could've been built to last more than 500 episodes anyway because of it's main selling point was the 1950s early '60s "nostalgia".
Old 09-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #26
James

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Will & Grace? a highly-rated, Emmy-winning, ground-breaking show? yeah, huge mistake...

The Emmys are a sorry excuse by the powers that be to mix entertainment and Chicago-style politics.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I don't think that discussing Happy Days at all belongs in this particular discussion about NBC. Now when I eventually get to the topic about the "biggest mistakes/mess-ups in ABC history" then maybe, I'll take this sort of thing under consideration.

With that being said, I think Happy Days better fits in the discussion of TV shows that may have run a few seasons too long. Perhaps Happy Days should've called it a day when Ron Howard decided to leave.
HAPPY DAYS should have been cancelled in its 2nd season when it stopped being set in the 50s and changed the setting to the 70s with a sprinkling of the 50s mixed in, added the godawful live audience and became "the Fonzie show"

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 09-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
I agree. "Cheers" and "Will & Grace" are two of NBC's finest.

Canceling "Mama's Family" after season 2 was a big mistake but I'm glad they did because we all know what happened next...
no we don't all know what happened next with MAMAS FAMILY. I don't know; what happened?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #29
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

cancelling STAR TREK back in 1969

moving Jay Leno to prime time
Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #30
DJM77

Send a message via ICQ to DJM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
no we don't all know what happened next with MAMAS FAMILY. I don't know; what happened?

It got retooled and had a successful 4 season run in first-run syndication.