Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #136
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFabiano524
Four more words: GAME SHOW DEATH DAY. AKA the end of Chain Reaction, High Rollers, and Hollywood Squares. Also pulling a Bullseye/Hot Potato on Weakest Link, as the end of the run became Celebrity Weakest Link and nothing but.

Hiring Jon Bauman to host the Hollywood Squares portion of the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour. Now, hear me out. I didn't think Jon was as awful as others do. However, it was a curious choice, moreso when Mark Goodson was basically throwing a rookie into one of the most iconic formats in game show history. Plus it's not like Peter Marshall had something to do at the time, with his Fantasy just being cancelled.

2003 Let's Make A Deal. The least said, the better. At least Wayne Brady and CBS have rebuilt the show's reputation and success.

NBC had at least 3 bad game show death days in its history, June 20, 1980 (which you reference above), Sept. 26, 1969 (Personality, Eye Guess, You Don't Say!, and the original Match Game), and Mar. 24, 1989 (Super Password and $ale of the Century). Someone above also mentioned how NBC's losing Let's Make a Deal in 1968 helped lead to the 1969 death day. I loved most of these shows, as much as I've seen them anyway, and was sorry to see them go.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #137
irehtman

Another double mistake recently:

Cancelling both Community and Growing Up Fisher in the wrong time!

I will never return to watch any of the NBC comedies right after both Park And Recreation and About A Boy end right away!
Old 06-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #138
TMC
Forum Veteran

Default Why is NBC so terrible at making promos?

http://flavorwire.com/460737/the-all...-promo-photos?

Here are some of the Peacock’s worst-ever promo photos.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/tv-tattle#IOyAiHhwXmF2TBcJ.99
Old 06-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #139
king of comedy

They all look terrible.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #140
mets82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehobden
NBC had at least 3 bad game show death days in its history, June 20, 1980 (which you reference above), Sept. 26, 1969 (Personality, Eye Guess, You Don't Say!, and the original Match Game), and Mar. 24, 1989 (Super Password and $ale of the Century). Someone above also mentioned how NBC's losing Let's Make a Deal in 1968 helped lead to the 1969 death day. I loved most of these shows, as much as I've seen them anyway, and was sorry to see them go.

I didnt know about this. Is there any more info. about this because I'd like to know? This almost seems like the Rural Purge that I mentioned a while back.

To me, the 2 I like that are mentioned above is Super Password and Match Game. I've never seen the other ones.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #141
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I didnt know about this. Is there any more info. about this because I'd like to know? This almost seems like the Rural Purge that I mentioned a while back.

To me, the 2 I like that are mentioned above is Super Password and Match Game. I've never seen the other ones.

$ale first had 65 of its latter-day daytime episodes on GSN when the reruns started in 2013. Then late last year (Nov. 2013 to the present), the first 65 or so shows of the syndicated show started running. They've been through about 3 or 4 times, IINM.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
Old 02-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #142
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

A reason why all of the new fall series that were introduced on NBC in the fall of 1975 and 1983 were cancelled and failed to earn a second year was probably because a significant number of the new fall series that the new fall series that were introduced during the previous year (1974 and 1982, respectively) were successful.

Successful Fall 1974 series: Chico and the Man, Police Woman, The Rockford Files, Little House on the Prairie, and (to a lesser extent) Petrocelli, and Movin' On
Fall 1975 series: The Family Holvak, McCoy (part of the Sunday Mystery Movie), The Invisible Man, Joe Forrester, Doctors' Hospital, The Montefuscos, Fay, Ellery Queen, Medical Story.

Successful Fall 1982 series: Cheers, Family Ties, St. Elsewhere, Knight Rider, Remington Steele, Silver Spoons
Fall 1983 series: Boone, Bay City Blues, We Got it Made, Mr. Smith, Jennifer Slept Here, Manimal, For Love and Honor, The Rousters, The Yellow Rose
Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #143
TMC
Forum Veteran

Does the recent controversy surrounding Brian Williams count?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:34 PM   #144
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Yes their news outlet has always been a nest of lying propagandist from falsely saying that handgun ammo coated with Teflon can penetrate body armor and making it public that the police are issued body armor with interviews with criminals who said that they will start aiming for their heads, illegally converting a semi auto AK to full auto just to push for their ban to the more recent editing of the George Zimmerman 911 call to make him appear to be the aggressor and the fact that not only does NBC refuse to hold the news outlet accountable but also backs their agenda so as far as I'm concerned NBC can eat it.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #145
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28
A reason why all of the new fall series that were introduced on NBC in the fall of 1975 and 1983 were cancelled and failed to earn a second year was probably because a significant number of the new fall series that the new fall series that were introduced during the previous year (1974 and 1982, respectively) were successful.

Successful Fall 1974 series: Chico and the Man, Police Woman, The Rockford Files, Little House on the Prairie, and (to a lesser extent) Petrocelli, and Movin' On
Fall 1975 series: The Family Holvak, McCoy (part of the Sunday Mystery Movie), The Invisible Man, Joe Forrester, Doctors' Hospital, The Montefuscos, Fay, Ellery Queen, Medical Story.

Successful Fall 1982 series: Cheers, Family Ties, St. Elsewhere, Knight Rider, Remington Steele, Silver Spoons
Fall 1983 series: Boone, Bay City Blues, We Got it Made, Mr. Smith, Jennifer Slept Here, Manimal, For Love and Honor, The Rousters, The Yellow Rose
In 1989, NBC cancelled its' entire fall line up. I don't remember the shows but it did.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #146
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
In 1989, NBC cancelled its' entire fall line up. I don't remember the shows but it did.

Of course you don't remember the shows...they were cancelled.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #147
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
Does the recent controversy surrounding Brian Williams count?
That depends on who you ask. Considering that FOX News' reporters can get away with lying and embellishing stories all the time and they get to stay on the air, it seems unfair for Brian Williams to be forced out for 6 months. But NBC I guess has more at stake and a different type of viewership. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #148
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Thong
Of course you don't remember the shows...they were cancelled.
Wait a minute. Now I remembered a couple of them. They were Baywatch( which had a longer life in syndication) a sitcom from Mel Brooks and a spin off character from the movie Jagged Edge which starred Robert Loggia.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #149
Frenky
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James28

St. Elsewhere was never really successful, only had good demographics, probably same thing with Silver Spoons which was never top 30 hit.

This season is probably worst for NBC in terms of new scripted shows, I'm pretty sure that A.D. and Odyssey will flop, latter most likely because it looks like another Allegiance.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:17 PM   #150
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
Wait a minute. Now I remembered a couple of them. They were Baywatch( which had a longer life in syndication) a sitcom from Mel Brooks and a spin off character from the movie Jagged Edge which starred Robert Loggia.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek.