Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Question The 20 Biggest Mess-Ups/Mistakes in NBC History

What most immediately comes to my mind:
*The entire Jeff Zucker era/regime, which saw NBC go from first to worst by the end of the 2000s. This includes giving five nights a week to Jay Leno in prime time.

*"The Heidi Game"

*Canceling shows like Star Trek, Baywatch and JAG, which went on to become even bigger hits elsewhere.

*Just about the entire 1979-80 season (the "Fred Silverman Years" to be more exact or direct).

*Letting NBC Sports deteriorate by the early part of the 2000s w/ the loss of the NFL in 1997 (which naturally, lead to the XFL debacle), MLB in 2000, and NBA in 2002.

*Cutting away from the closing ceremonies for the 2010 and 2012 Olympics in favor of The Marriage Ref and Animal Practice.

*Replacing Jane Pauley w/ Deborah Norville as the female host of Today. Plus, there was the more recent fiasco involving Ann Curry being forced out as female anchor for Today.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
James

letting "Cheers" last as long as it did instead of canceling it in 1984 and giving "Happy Days" a new lease on life

letting "Friends" last as long as it did in the name of corporate greed--and letting David Schwimmer be known for someone other than Michael on "The Wonder Years"

foisting "Will and Grace" (or as I call it "Swill and Disgrace") on the American public

foisting "The Facts of Life" on the American public

Last edited by James : 09-20-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
What's wrong with The Facts of Life? I would consider it a show families can watch together, at least for most episodes. If you're going after racy sitcoms on NBC The Golden Girls would make more sense.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Letting "Must-See TV" go down like it did.

Having "Dateline" on almost every night!

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 09-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
factsoflife

Quote:
letting "Cheers" last as long as it did instead of canceling it in 1984 and giving "Happy Days" a new lease on life

letting "Friends" last as long as it did in the name of corporate greed--and letting David Schwimmer be known for someone other than Michael on "The Wonder Years"

foisting "Will and Grace" (or as I call it "Swill and Disgrace") on the American public

Mistake? Cheers? Cheers was among the highest-rated shows during most of it's run, it was a top 10 show for all but it's first two years, and was considered the most prestigious show among advertisers... If anything, NBC should have fought harder to save the show!

Will & Grace? a highly-rated, Emmy-winning, ground-breaking show? yeah, huge mistake...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Mistake? Cheers? Cheers was among the highest-rated shows during most of it's run, it was a top 10 show for all but it's first two years, and was considered the most prestigious show among advertisers... If anything, NBC should have fought harder to save the show!

Will & Grace? a highly-rated, Emmy-winning, ground-breaking show? yeah, huge mistake...
I agree. "Cheers" and "Will & Grace" are two of NBC's finest.

Canceling "Mama's Family" after season 2 was a big mistake but I'm glad they did because we all know what happened next...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Will & Grace may have been an Emmy favorite but I consider it one of the worst shows ever made. And its ratings plummeted when Frasier and Friends ended, wasn't able to carry NBC like they were.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
Cool cool cool

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

Will & Grace, Cheers, The Facts of Life, and Friends were all giant hits, so clearly none of them were "mistakes".

Can't speak much about their 70s collapse, but I think what really did them in during the current era was failing to find any worthwhile shows to replace Friends and Fraiser ended (and to a lesser extent, Will & Grace). They put all of their eggs in quick-fix reality shows like The Apprentice and Deal or No Deal, which did the job at first but left gaping holes in their schedule once they started tanking around 2007/2008. From then on, it was just a series of mind-boggling stupid decisions, from the Leno/Conan debacle to their entire "broad comedies" approach last season that fell miserably on its face. We'll see if their "family" approach works this year...I have my doubts, but who knows? If MJF's show is the big smash they want it to be, it could go a long way in revitalizing NBC's name.

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
Old 09-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Regulus

Three Letters

XFL
Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Moving NewsRadio around so many times (I believe 9 times) in its four and a half seasons, hurting its chances of it having a bigger audience than it could have had. Warren Littlefield even said he should have just left it on Tuesday nights.

(1) Andy Richter Controls the Universe (2) Boy Meets World (3) Cheers (4) Community (5) Ellen (6) Grounded for Life (7) Hey Dude (8)The Honeymooners (9) I Love Lucy (10) The King of Queens (11) Married with Children (12) Mister Ed (13) The Munsters (14) Ned and Stacey (15) Newhart (16) NewsRadio (17) Night Court (18) Norm (19) The Office (20) Parks & Recreation (21) Rhoda (22) Spin City (23) Taxi (24) That 70s Show (25) Wings
Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

Too much Deal or No Deal for sure.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
cherryade
Frequent Poster

Firing Kevin Reilly, who was NBC's head of entertainment from 2004 to 2007. He was working miracles at a network struggling in the post-Friends era. He developed My Name Is Earl (the #1 new scripted show of 2005-06) and Heroes (the #1 new scripted show of 2006-07) and was fired for it.

The straight-to-series idiocy of 2007-08. Turns out pilots exist for a reason.

The Jay Leno Show. Cancelling so much programming had a ripple effect that carries on until today. They needed to develop a ton of shows to fill the gap. That impacted quality, plus they couldn't successfully promote all of them.

Not firing Zucker earlier.

That season in the late 90s when NBC put sitcoms on pretty much every single night. I know this might be controversial on a website dedicated to sitcoms, but they spread themselves far too thin, which really hurt the genre. I blame NBC for the subsequent decline in sitcoms in the 2000s.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryade
Firing Kevin Reilly, who was NBC's head of entertainment from 2004 to 2007. He was working miracles at a network struggling in the post-Friends era. He developed My Name Is Earl (the #1 new scripted show of 2005-06) and Heroes (the #1 new scripted show of 2006-07) and was fired for it.

The straight-to-series idiocy of 2007-08. Turns out pilots exist for a reason.

The Jay Leno Show. Cancelling so much programming had a ripple effect that carries on until today. They needed to develop a ton of shows to fill the gap. That impacted quality, plus they couldn't successfully promote all of them.

Not firing Zucker earlier.

That season in the late 90s when NBC put sitcoms on pretty much every single night. I know this might be controversial on a website dedicated to sitcoms, but they spread themselves far too thin, which really hurt the genre. I blame NBC for the subsequent decline in sitcoms in the 2000s.
I agree with you about the sitcoms. Most of those sitcoms were Friends clones and they were mediocre at best. They overdid it on them. Then you knew it was bad when NBC started with their supersized Thursdays. They wouldn't have done that if their other sitcoms in the lineup were any good.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #14
Regulus

I remember the 1979-80 Season. My Friends made up an acronym for NBC - "Nine Bombs Cancelled". One of them, a show called Cliffhangers happened to be a show I LIKED. I was quite dismayed they didn't show the final episode. It would take me 30 years to find out how two of the segments (The Secret Empire and Stop Susan Williams concluded, with a little help from ioffer. For the record, I don't like having to turn this route to see how a series concluded. I'd rather purchase an OFFICIAL release. Unfortunately there are times where one finds themselves 'Damned if they do, Damned if they don't"
Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #15
tvfreak1987
Forum Regular

Quote:

First of all, Happy Days aired on ABC not NBC. Second, Cheers is one of the greatest shows of all time. If anything, cancelling Cheers then would've been another huge blunder for NBC.