Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-18-2015, 02:18 AM   #106
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Canceling The Incredible Hulk
Old 05-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #107
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Greek
I wish NBC continued their planned revival of MSW and brought back Jessica Fletcher. I wish they would revive MSW with Angela Lansbury reprising her role as Jessica.
The problem with that is she could potentially die during the revival.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #108
king of comedy

Exactly. They were going to go ahead with the woman who won the Oscar from the movie The Help. I forgot her name but she was younger and it would have worked.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #109
mets82

I dont know if you guys remember a show called "Thats' Life"? It was on in early 2001 and it starred Heather Paige Kent and Paul Sorvino was in it. I really liked it and they cancelled it.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:39 PM   #110
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of comedy
Exactly. They were going to go ahead with the woman who won the Oscar from the movie The Help. I forgot her name but she was younger and it would have worked.

Octavia Spencer.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #111
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
I dont know if you guys remember a show called "Thats' Life"? It was on in early 2001 and it starred Heather Paige Kent and Paul Sorvino was in it. I really liked it and they cancelled it.

Yes, I remember that show. It was about an adult women who went back to college. I think it had Ellen Burstyn in the cast as well and Kevin Dillon. CBS basically squandered that show by burying it into a difficult timeslot and abandoning any promotion for the show.

Heather Paige Kent is now known as Heather Dubrow and is on The Real Housewives of Orange County.

It actually debuted against the closing ceremonies of the summer Olympics, that is a clear indication of how much faith CBS had in the show. It also aired most of its episodes on Friday nights.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #112
mets82

I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that show.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #113
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by factsoflife
Octavia Spencer.
Thank you.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:26 AM   #114
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets82
It was a disaster from the start. From what I remember, I didnt mind Buck and McCarver but the erratic scheduling kind of did them in. I would guess that Scully would have done football after CBS lost the MLB package but what else would he have done once CBS lost both the NFL and MLB?

I'm pretty sure that Vin Scully would've just gone back to doing Dodgers games like he actually still does today despite being in his late 80s. Scully didn't do NFL games when he was at NBC (when baseball season was over, he did golf for NBC w/ Lee Trevino) and that was it. From my understanding, the main factor for why he left CBS in the first place was that he didn't like the fact that CBS was promoting Pat Summerall to be the main NFL play-by-play man (to work w/ John Madden). CBS as a compromise (and perhaps in hopes of softening Scully's bruised ego), allowed him along w/ Hank Stram, to call the NFC Championship Game between San Francisco and Dallas (the game in which Dwight Clark made the legendary "catch", which was the launching pad for the 49ers' '80s dynasty) while Pat Summerall called the game on CBS Radio w/ Jack Buck.

Meanwhile, here's some insight on CBS Sports' overspending during the late '80s-early '90s:
CBS' dream season turned to nightmare on W. 52nd St.

Last edited by TMC : 06-12-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #115
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters9
One other thing that I think was a mistake is something that relates to CBS Sports: in Jim Nantz's first two seasons in the studio (1985 and '86) with The Prudential College Football Report, the theme for game coverage was recycled from Super Bowl XVIII between Washington and L.A., and the billboard music for Jim's Prudential segment (as well as the College Football Report Update gamebreak music) was taken from the theme of The NCAA Today (studio show with Brent Musburger that was in for the 1982 and '83 seasons). Then, when the current game coverage theme song debuted in 1987, it was made to where it applied to both the games and the studio coverage, much the same as is done with NFL coverage now (and this is the way it was done in the 1990 season as well with the NFL). Why is that?

Speaking of music, I've always hated that CBS stopped using the Frankie Vinci composed NFL theme (which debuted in time for their coverage of Super Bowl 26) in favor of their current theme by ES Posthumus. I'll be the first to tell you that I don't care much for the ES Posthumus NFL on CBS theme (which debuted in 2003). It's not at all catchy and it sounds way too overwhelming and threatening. It just sounds like what somebody who has never watched professional American football or is in-tune w/ memorable TV themes, would think a football theme "should" sound like.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 AM   #116
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
It's not at all catchy and it sounds way too overwhelming and threatening.

That's what I thought about the billboard music for The Prudential College Football Report with Jim Nantz when I first saw that halftime segment in the 1985 season; I was four years old then. Flash forward 30 years later, and not only is it incredibly non-threatening to me, and even catchy as well (the panhellenic Greek sound contributing greatly to that), but also one of the best examples, IMO, of what a sports theme song should sound like (not only that, but the studio coverage itself for both that and the NFL was far more professional then than it is now).

Here's an example of the same from the 1986 season, from a broadcast between Arizona and UCLA. Not only do you hear the music, but also CBS Sports V/O Don Robertson delivering the billboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYROodzEM-s&t=102m20s
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)

Last edited by bmasters9 : 06-23-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #117
LETTERL
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
The Rural Purge: The Year CBS Gave the Finger to Its Most Loyal Viewers

Without the NFL, CBS had a much harder time finding a platform to promote their shows. Remember back in the day when Pat Summerall (RIP) would say towards the end of the late afternoon games on CBS in his baritone voice "Stay tuned for 60 Minutes followed by Murder...She Wrote!"?

Yup...being a huge, "Murder, She Wrote" fan, I always found it a treat to hear Summerall belt out the promo for "Murder, She Wrote". Sometimes, the games would run really late (until almost 8 pm), and MSW would get pre-empted; I was visiting my sister one time when that happened and Summerall did his 60 Minutes promo, followed by the one for the movie...and my sister looked at me like I was going to explode and said "Uh, oh...no "Murder, She Wrote" tonight!"

I especially remember the very last NFL telecast for CBS. Summerall waxed nostalgic, going on and on for what seemed like several minutes about leaving CBS and all the memories and finished his spiel by saying "...and I'm going to miss saying 'Stay tuned for 60 Minutes and Murder, She Wrote after that". I loved every second of his little soliloquy -- a piece of television history that would never be repeated.

I don't know if that little speech can be found on YouTube or not but I'm gonna go look right now!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #118
bgva
Forum Regular

Definitely not giving WKRP a consistent timeslot, then eventually cancelling it. I felt it had another season left.

The "Friday Night Block Party", an attempt to rip off ABC's TGIF, which was falling off itself. Granted, this was when Family Matters and Step by Step (both former TGIF sitcoms) moved to CBS, so this may have been the efforts to capitalize on that. Neither lasted beyond the 1997-98 season, though.

The Talk...I get it, Les Moonves' wife is a co-hostess. The show still blows.

When CBS This Morning tried to add a studio audience in the mid-90s, in an effort to catch up to Today and Good Morning America. The ratings still went nowhere, and the audience was dropped after about a year.

The Early Show

CBS' Sunday NFL coverage is already a snoozefest. Then they added the Thursday edition, and it became an even bigger mess. Didn't help that the first several games were all blowouts, and therefore over at halftime. The Thursday Night Football theme sounds like a wannabe Sunday Night Football theme. There's no replicating John Williams' masterpiece.

The Monday night sitcom lineup. Sorry...2 Broke Girls and Mike and Molly are abysmal.

Cramming an "Only CBS" announcement into live awards shows, every chance they get. Enough already.

The constant promos reminding us they're the most watched network. Makes football on Sunday even more insufferable.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #119
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgva
The constant promos reminding us they're the most watched network. Makes football on Sunday even more insufferable.

It's not just on Sundays. It's also on SEC broadcasts on Saturdays.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #120
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgva
The Monday night sitcom lineup. Sorry...2 Broke Girls and Mike and Molly are abysmal.

Another potential mess-up mistake that CBS could be committing: Reducing their comedy hours to just two going forward (all on a single night - Thursday, especially after Thursday Night Football is over).

Believe me, the two new single-cams debuting in fall of 2015, Life in Pieces and Angel from Hell, are going to be even worse than 2BG and M&M.