Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Year in Sitcoms; NBC Sets Premiere for A.P. Bio
MeTV January 2018 Schedule Has Diff'rent Strokes; HBO Hit Comedy Returns for 2nd Year
getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #76
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
Accepting Thursday Night NFL games in it. ABC is a better fit to accept Thursday Night NFL games instead of CBS!
I don't think so. CBS will easily win Thursday nights with football, it will increase their average for the week, and Monday nights will improve being anchored by Big Bang.
MARTIN: As usual Martin has to hear about it.
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 AM   #77
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default What's up with the hate for CBS?

http://officialfan.proboards.com/thr...105/cbs?page=2

Quote:
Post by Wrong Swanson on 15 hours ago
Well, this should be easy...

-Comedy: every single comedy has an annoying ass laugh track, and they are mostly run by the insufferable Chuck Lorre. They don't try to be very clever at all, and they switch between poking fun at people and stereotypes worse than any comedy on air.

-Drama: procedural after procedural after procedural. The Good Wife is actually pretty decent and Person of Interest isn't bad, but NCIS/The Mentalist/CSI/Criminal Minds are just the same old crap over and over and over again. You would never see a show like Hannibal, Lost or even Sleepy Hollow on CBS at this point, which means they rarely take a risk.

Quote:
Post by "The Immortal" Hawk Jefferson on 14 hours ago
The C stands for Chuck Lorre and he lost his shine a while ago. I liked the first few seasons of Two and a Half Men (known as Two and a Half Jokes at the Hawk's Nest) before it became "Charlie Sheen makes fun of his depressed brother and likely functionally retarded nephew."

Mike and Molly had a solid few seasons but this year they've revamped it for Molly to be every Melissa McCarthy character just cleaned up for TV. Meanwhile, other characters are just getting more mean spirited.

Big Bang Theory literally had a joke where Raj, Walowitz, Sheldon, and Leonard where in the comic book store, an attractive woman walked in, someone asked "Is she lost?" AND THAT WAS THE JOKE. That's basically their shtick and it's horrible.

On a non-Lorre note, most of their dramas are pretty cheesy and contrived (I will admit to loving Criminal Minds though) and the How I Met Your Mother finale rubbed most of us the wrong way entirely. Not to mention crap garbage like Two Broke Girls.

Quote:
Post by shempaholic on 13 hours ago
I hate, hate, hate CBS sitcoms. Here's a typical scene from a CBS/Lorre sitcom: Character enters room. "Hello." Uproarious laughter. "Oh, hi there. How are you?" Uproarious laughter. "Fine." Uproarious laughter. Those awful laugh tracks make me want punch Chuck Lorre in the balls.

Now on the other hand, Person Of Interest is one of the best shows on television. The original CSI got a lot of life back in it with the addition of Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue and is still a decent way to kill an hour.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:22 AM   #78
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

Another mistake: Not giving a produced-in-house (former) top-tier show a proper "farewell season"/series finale. I feel that the original CSI: Crime Scene Investigation may be axed after this season (its 15th). Last Sunday's season finale hit a new series low: a 1.1 in the 18-49 demo with only 7 million total viewers. Sad. And it was up against the Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special (which scored 24 million viewers and an 8 in the demo). Its Miami and NY spinoffs weren't "top tier", and they just didn't have as significant an impact as the original Las Vegas-based show. What if NCIS ended its original run without a proper farewell season/series finale?

Another mistake: Ordering to series some spinoffs of each of the Crime Scene Trifecta (CSI, NCIS, Criminal Minds). NCIS: New Orleans may be a success, but I already decided to avoid watching CSI: Cyber because the original CSI is really in danger of cancellation (And I don't even bother watching NCIS: New Orleans, either).

Probably, CBS only give series finales to (usually top-tier) series produced by outside studios How I Met Your Mother (from 20th Century Fox TV), and Two and A Half Men and (surprisingly) The Mentalist (from Warner Bros. TV).
Old 02-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #79
king of comedy

I stopped watching the dramas.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:08 AM   #80
TMC
Forum Celebrity

The biggest mistakes that CBS made w/ their 1990-93 MLB coverage (at least in my estimation):
*Not hiring Vin Scully to be their lead play-by-play man. After NBC lost the MLB package to CBS following the 1989 season, Scully was for all intents and purposes, a "free agent". Scully of course, worked at CBS prior to joining NBC in 1983. Scully would've given CBS instant credibility (similar to when Fox hired Pat Summerall and John Madden to front their NFL coverage in 1994). I'm guessing that CBS wanted to put their own personal "thumbprint" and they that that Scully was too intertwined w/ NBC's coverage.

*Pairing Jack Buck together w/ Tim McCarver. As great of an announcer Jack Buck was in his own right, he just never fit or adapted as well it seemed like on TV. I don't know exactly whose fault it really was, but Buck and McCarver were arguably like "oil and water". I know that Jack Buck was a last minute replacement for Brent Musburger (and Buck and McCarver arguably didn't have enough time to develop a proper rhythm together), but Buck was perhaps too much of an "old school" type of announcer to really translate well to a modern TV audience.

*Overemphasizing Tim McCarver. McCarver during his prime, was arguably the best color commentator on TV (he and Tony Kubek were probably the first real "modern day" baseball color commentators on TV). The problem however, is that Tim McCarver (even back then) arguably had a bad habit of being too verbose and being over-analytical. McCarver was perhaps able to get away w/ that w/o much trouble at ABC because he was often on big games a paired w/ Al Michaels and Jim Palmer. But at CBS, they pretty much anticipated or expected him to be the main star, instead of the play-by-play man (this is in part, what got Jack Buck in trouble).

*Their non-consistent and erratic regular season scheduling (add to that that they broadcast even less regular season games than NBC did). CBS could literally go a whole month w/o broadcasting a baseball game because of their other sports commitments like golf. It became quite apparent that CBS lived and breathed for October so that they could have a better platform to promote their fall shows.

*Overpaying for the MLB package by about $500 million. 
Old 03-06-2015, 04:35 AM   #81
bmasters9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
McCarver was perhaps able to get away w/ that w/o much trouble at ABC because he was often on big games a paired w/ Al Michaels and Jim Palmer. 

That he was! I think that his biggest ABC assignment was that of the 1985 World Series between St. Louis and K.C. (I happen to have the DVD release of that, BTW).
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's spiel for The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season; modified from what it was in 1985)
Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #82
irehtman

NCIS needs one more spin-off as a fourth type or CSI needs one more spin-off as a fifth type instead!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #83
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters9
That he was! I think that his biggest ABC assignment was that of the 1985 World Series between St. Louis and K.C. (I happen to have the DVD release of that, BTW).

That was the first World Series that Tim McCarver helped announce for TV. He was actually a last minute replacement in the booth for Howard Cosell. ABC removed Cosell because they weren't too happy about his book I Never Played the Game, which was highly critical of numerous colleagues at ABC Sports. If you ever get a chance to read Al Michaels' recent autobiography, he'll tell you that he was elated when ABC finally removed Cosell once and for all from their baseball broadcasts.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #84
bh7812
Frequent Poster

Send a message via MSN to bh7812 Send a message via Yahoo to bh7812

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Hey, that was one of their BEST decisions! I liked those shows!

Their biggest mistake, however, was not giving those two shows closure.

Yup, that decision is way up there on my list of biggest mistakes CBS made. I respect Les Moonves to no end and admire the man..almost everything he's touched during his time there has ended up a smash hit. But for all that success the way he treated those two shows at the end was completely terrible. When he announced the CBS Friday Night Party Block at the Upfron in '97, everyone there was in complete surprise and shock...at the block created to try taking on ABC's TGIF but especially shocked he picked up both Family Matters and Step By Step for it. I remember he was very proud of that, and excited he got both shows. He said that day he was committed to giving the shows at least 2 more seasons each. You'd think with all that excitement and pride he'd keep the long runs and legacies of both shows in mind when he decided to cancel both but I guess not. I can respect the decision to cancel..the ratings for both shoes their final year were just about zero. But, when he made the cancellation decision for the shows he should absolutely have told the casts and crews in January, and allowed them both series finales with ample time to prepare good finales. The fans deserved that much. You do NOT let a show just end the way he let Family Matters end with that cliffhanger!! Sorry, his decision still has me upset almost 17 years lateThat was my last year of high school and I was busy with stuff so I only saw a few episodes of each that season. I wish I ciukd have supported them more

How did both sets of casts and crews find out the shows were done? Reginald VelJohnson said in an interview in Fall '98 they had wrapped in either April or May-I can't remember which month he said..both shows went back in the next week to start working on the next season of the shows and were told they'd been cancelled, pack up their stuff and go home. He was very upset because he felt the fans deserved proper series finales and closure. Disgraceful, Les. I'm beginning to feel like this wasn't Les' decision..his career started at Lorimar Television, then part of Warner, who produced both shows...he's grateful to and looks well on his days there I can't see this decision having been his alone but we'll never know for sure.

Two more dumb and decisions CBS has made:

As others have said, moving WKRP around to a different night of the week every week for damn near its entire run..at some points towards the end it was on late nights even :O! After the cancellation, that summer as we all know the knuckle heads finally got it into a regular time slot and surprise surprise it took off...was number 1 most weeks. CBS realized their mistake and tried to bring the show back but it was too late..sets were taken down already avd everyone had already signed to new projects. At least looking back the people responsible understand it was a huge mistake. Still,my he show should hafe had a minimum of one more year at least.

The WKRP fiasco is closely followed by CBS insisting on fixing what wasn't broken with Bob Newhart's third sitcom. They felt it absolutely necessary to tear up the outstanding foundation they'd built for it, and the excellent first season his 3rd show had. Decided to totally scrap what they had and rebuild from the ground up. A lot of potential up in smoke. That show coulda had as long a run as his first show, maybe even as long as Newhart. Between WKRP and that one not sure which was the bigger mistake..to me they're equally as bad.

Those are my votes for worst CBS mistakes for sure.

Edit-please excuse the iPad typos, of which there's quite a few you should be able to understand 99 percent of the post still.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #85
king of comedy

His third show had potential. CBS was Bobs' home.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #86
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...k/LiveActionTV

Here's perhaps a slightly more damning mess up that CBS made:

I'll also add CBS' treatment of WKRP... w/ them never really giving it a stable time-slot. After WKRP... was finally canceled in 1982, it went on to become a huge success in syndication (in a sense, the Star Trek of sitcoms).
l

And it's a shame that WKRP didn't come back with new episodes until 1991. I know it was attempted twice before new wkrp
Old 03-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #87
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Les Moonves passing on a recent attempt at a revival of name tbat tune
Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 PM   #88
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Canceling Robin Williams last sitcom the crazy ones when it was doing so well in fb ratings

And I think CBS was planning on giving family matters another season and even planned on bringibg back judy even hiring an actress to play her but the sets were already destroyed.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #89
mets82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
The biggest mistakes that CBS made w/ their 1990-93 MLB coverage (at least in my estimation):
*Not hiring Vin Scully to be their lead play-by-play man. After NBC lost the MLB package to CBS following the 1989 season, Scully was for all intents and purposes, a "free agent". Scully of course, worked at CBS prior to joining NBC in 1983. Scully would've given CBS instant credibility (similar to when Fox hired Pat Summerall and John Madden to front their NFL coverage in 1994). I'm guessing that CBS wanted to put their own personal "thumbprint" and they that that Scully was too intertwined w/ NBC's coverage.

*Pairing Jack Buck together w/ Tim McCarver. As great of an announcer Jack Buck was in his own right, he just never fit or adapted as well it seemed like on TV. I don't know exactly whose fault it really was, but Buck and McCarver were arguably like "oil and water". I know that Jack Buck was a last minute replacement for Brent Musburger (and Buck and McCarver arguably didn't have enough time to develop a proper rhythm together), but Buck was perhaps too much of an "old school" type of announcer to really translate well to a modern TV audience.

*Overemphasizing Tim McCarver. McCarver during his prime, was arguably the best color commentator on TV (he and Tony Kubek were probably the first real "modern day" baseball color commentators on TV). The problem however, is that Tim McCarver (even back then) arguably had a bad habit of being too verbose and being over-analytical. McCarver was perhaps able to get away w/ that w/o much trouble at ABC because he was often on big games a paired w/ Al Michaels and Jim Palmer. But at CBS, they pretty much anticipated or expected him to be the main star, instead of the play-by-play man (this is in part, what got Jack Buck in trouble).

*Their non-consistent and erratic regular season scheduling (add to that that they broadcast even less regular season games than NBC did). CBS could literally go a whole month w/o broadcasting a baseball game because of their other sports commitments like golf. It became quite apparent that CBS lived and breathed for October so that they could have a better platform to promote their fall shows.

*Overpaying for the MLB package by about $500 million. 

It was a disaster from the start. From what I remember, I didnt mind Buck and McCarver but the erratic scheduling kind of did them in. I would guess that Scully would have done football after CBS lost the MLB package but what else would he have done once CBS lost both the NFL and MLB?

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #90
bmasters9

One other thing that I think was a mistake is something that relates to CBS Sports: in Jim Nantz's first two seasons in the studio (1985 and '86) with The Prudential College Football Report, the theme for game coverage was recycled from Super Bowl XVIII between Washington and L.A., and the billboard music for Jim's Prudential segment (as well as the College Football Report Update gamebreak music) was taken from the theme of The NCAA Today (studio show with Brent Musburger that was in for the 1982 and '83 seasons). Then, when the current game coverage theme song debuted in 1987, it was made to where it applied to both the games and the studio coverage, much the same as is done with NFL coverage now (and this is the way it was done in the 1990 season as well with the NFL). Why is that?