Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #61
mr awesome
Forum Regular

Chuck Norris was Walker, Samo Hung was Martial Law. Martial Law was awesome then got ruined by retooling in season 2, Walker got real stale real quick.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #62
king of comedy

If they had left Martial Law alone, it would have lasted a few more years.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #63
Tubehead

Default early eiditon & marial law

I was bummed when they canceled Early Edition . it was one of my favorite shows growing up they didn't even gave it an ending. I heard that they wonted to do reality shows that was it got canned . I enjoyed martial law I enjoyed the early edition and marital law cross over a lot.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 AM   #64
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

I heard that CBS got the rights to air eight NFL games on Thursday nights at the beginning of the season. Can CBS relaly back themselves into a corner with this deal? Since it can affect premiere week and it means moving BBT to another night (like Monday or Wednesday), and delaying the premieres of other established shows to midseason, etc.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #65
mr awesome
Forum Regular

Less repeats starting in November, and starting BBT on Monday to give their Monday comedies a boost then moving back to Thursday in November.

I was a bit surprised that CBS got the package as well since they don't need it. I guess they were worried that ABC or NBC would get it and make a dent into their Thursday ratings.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #66
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr awesome
Less repeats starting in November, and starting BBT on Monday to give their Monday comedies a boost then moving back to Thursday in November.

I was a bit surprised that CBS got the package as well since they don't need it. I guess they were worried that ABC or NBC would get it and make a dent into their Thursday ratings.
i think it was stupid for cbs to buy a thursday nfl package when that fid not even need it
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #67
Yong Fang

My father LOVED 60 Minutes. He was always home at 6 PM on Sunday for it to come on. More than likely, we would have dinner on the table when it was on (we would have a TV at the table, not on the table, but close enough) Sounds weird, but the voice of Morley Safer reminds me of food.

He also hates sports and especially football with a passion. He would get so worked up when he precious 60 Minutes was not on at 6 PM and he would have to wait for it to come on, he would actually whine and bitch like a child about it at the dinner table "How long is the GD football game going to be on....." A game might have three minutes left on the clock, but 3 minutes might be another 30 minutes if the game was close, and God help us if the game went into overtime!

I don't know, but 60 Minutes could have been scheduled later in the evening, or during football season, another night of the week.

-------------------------

The Rural Purge.

I don't think the Rural Purge was such a bad thing. Most of those classic TV shows were on the wane by 1971. All of them were losing viewers, the times have changed and the country was much more urbanized and younger. All In the Family, Bob Newhart, MTM Show, MASH, were more in tune with the 1970's.

Hillbillies and RFD were losing viewers by 1970. Ed Sullivan was an old relic of a bygone era. Out with the old, in with the new. Not all the older shows from the 1960's died out before the 70's classics began. Gunsmoke stuck around until 1975. Probably it could have lasted longer, but it was on over 20 years. Lucy had her last CBS show until '74.

CBS was the "old people network" in the 1990's and have turned that around too. Those shows also had good ratings, but were not watched by the main TV demographic

CBS is the clear champion of the four major networks. Abc was number one for a bit in the 1970's and NBC had their great run in the 1980's, but in TV overall CBS has kicked the pants off the other networks. Look at the ratings of shows in the 1960's. Around 1965, CBS had all 20 shows.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #68
king of comedy

NBC also ruled the ratings in the 90s until CBS regained its' crown.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #69
irehtman

The Evan Cortez character was forcely killed off in the wrong time in Nash Bridges without a reason.

Martial Law second season was too overchanged because the show was trying to help WTR actor Chuck Norris 1) solve his precarious acting career and 1) return to the movies from where he left off.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #70
factsoflife

I can't recall If I already posted this, but maybe not like "the biggest" mistake ever, but a big mistake was CBS underappreciating and undervaluing "The New Adventures of Old Christine".

that show was a decent, solid hit and they messed with it by moving it to Wed night, which frankly killed any momentum the show had built.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #71
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Constantly moving around WKRP in Cincinnati

Continuing two and a half men without Charlie Sheen
Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #72
Jamey Greek
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...k/LiveActionTV

Here's perhaps a slightly more damning mess up that CBS made:

I'll also add CBS' treatment of WKRP... w/ them never really giving it a stable time-slot. After WKRP... was finally canceled in 1982, it went on to become a huge success in syndication (in a sense, the Star Trek of sitcoms).

They should have kept it on Monday nights.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 AM   #73
irehtman

Bringing Robin Williams back from movies to a TV series is obscene. He is doing well in movies, there's no way he should go backwards at all. If he still appears in this current TV sitcom, then he should continue appearing in current movies at the same time.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #74
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
Bringing Robin Williams back from movies to a TV series is obscene. He is doing well in movies, there's no way he should go backwards at all. If he still appears in this current TV sitcom, then he should continue appearing in current movies at the same time.

Oh really...:
What the Hell Happened to Robin Williams?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #75
irehtman

Accepting Thursday Night NFL games in it. ABC is a better fit to accept Thursday Night NFL games instead of CBS!