Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #46
irehtman

Default TMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I woudn't consider the first "mess-up" that you listed to be a specfically CBS network related "mess-up" per se. If you're going to go that route, then we'll be here a long time listing all of the biggest mistakes that CBS' shows made on their own instead of the network as a whole.

Now you do...
Old 10-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #47
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
WTR actor Chuck Norris' acting career is in danger and he needs Martial Law to support both his continuance on acting career and return to the movies.

How exactly did Chuck Norris need Martial Law for support (and yes, I know that the shows crossed over at least once)!? Martial Law lasted two seasons on CBS (1998-2000), while WTR, I think, lasted 8 (1993-2001). And if anything, Chuck Norris pretty much went into semi-retirement (he's more known for being a meme than for his acting) sometime after the end of WTR.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #48
irehtman

Default TMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
How exactly did Chuck Norris need Martial Law for support (and yes, I know that the shows crossed over at least once)!? Martial Law lasted two seasons on CBS (1998-2000), while WTR, I think, lasted 8 (1993-2001). And if anything, Chuck Norris pretty much went into semi-retirement (he's more known for being a meme than for his acting) sometime after the end of WTR.

Chuck is supposed to be in the movies. But when people found out that he was brought from movies to this series WTR, there something's wrong with Chuck's bad acting style. During the WTR series, the show went bad.

I prefer Martial Law instead rather than WTR, but Martial Law is being dependent on trying support Chuck Norris' struggling and precarious acting career and return to the movies.

Martial Law should be more of an independent show instead, no offense, IMO.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #49
TMC
Forum Veteran

Default HOW CBS WENT FROM ...WORST TO FIRST....

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...Worst-to-First

Quote:
Back a few years ago one CBS executive (it may have been Redstone or someone above him for Viacom) discussed how they had watched CBS guess completely wrong in the mid 1990's and tanked the network in record time. They discussed how one decision seemed to change the fortunes of everything at CBS and would later rebuild the network into the power house we see today .

You see I was watching a comedy special of Bill Cosby , the newest one. Cosby still has his gift for stories and can use things from his marriage and more to make people laugh. Its what led to his 1st real break out show and one that launched NBC to a power house back in the 1980's with the Cosby Show. His stand up delivered and Tartikoff (who was over NBC) saw the special and Johnny Carson appearance and told his wife...I gotta have that guy on my network NOW! That next day things were set in motion to make it happen.

But back in the mid 1990s, CBS had a disaster of a year or two. They had moved a strong ratings show in Murder She Wrote due to the old age demographic it lured on Sundays to a day no one would watch. Then the network decided that they need a complete youth revamp and did the following shows.

Central Park West
The Client
Can't Hurry Love
Bless This House
The Courthouse
New York News
Dweebs
The Bonnie Hunt Show
American Gothic

Almost 90% of these shows was to lure a young demographic with the biggest failure being Central Park West. That failure itself was considered the biggest blunder in that season by CBS who poured thousands into ads to sell the show. Yet it was the hardest year the network had and even its best comedy was showing its age (Murphy Brown , which would fall outta the top 30 after that season).

So who would save CBS ? Well read above when I discussed Bill Cosby. See CBS needed someone with a "NAME" to attract attention back to the network. To get people back and to apologize to the older audience for killing Murder , She Wrote that previous season. So he brought in Bill Cosby to do a traditional comedy show after 4 years away.

CBS executives were damn happy to have a guy like Cosby in their fold. Even if the show never rose to the #1 levels of his previous show, Cosby however as one executive claimed ...made older fans happy as well as affiliates, who were pissed. By the time the show was moved from Monday's , CBS had started its full comeback with Everybody Loves Raymond and King of Queens on Mondays.

But it all comes down to a decision here. CBS was at its lowest ebb in 1995. They were a lot like NBC. Yet they managed to crawl back and now are considered #1.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #50
irehtman

Martial Law was overchanged too fast, it needs to be rebooted in the future as a independent show.

They killed off the wrong character, Evan Cortez, in the 100th episode of Nash Bridges in the wrong time before his wedding with Cassidy.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #51
Frenky
Frequent Poster

Rural purge was mistake for CBS, but they always attracted more 50+ viewers from the beginning, does anyone know why CBS is old people network?

Mistakes:
- moving All in the Family to Monday, The Jeffersons weren't strong to lead the night and Saturday comedy block collapsed
- Rhoda and Joe's divorce
- Falcon Crest airing after Dallas far too long.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #52
irehtman

Nash bridges should have been renewed for 7th and 8th seasons, so Harvey should get writtened out properly at the end of season 7 and then Nash can retire at the end of season 8.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #53
mr awesome
Forum Regular

CBS passed on Law & Order. CBS was also too quick to cancel Airwolf, it should've stayed on Saturdays one more season instead of the Saturday Night Movie.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #54
Mace Dolex

Wow this is a no brainer since I never watched CBS except for maybe Rescue 911 in the 90's and The Big Bang Theory.

But I think the mistake CBS has done is cater to old farts and sitcoms that drag on for too long, they also failed in trying to create their own family oriented Friday block in the 90's when they brought over Family Matters and Step By Step from ABC.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #55
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr awesome
CBS passed on Law & Order. CBS was also too quick to cancel Airwolf, it should've stayed on Saturdays one more season instead of the Saturday Night Movie.

To play devil's advocate so to speak, wasn't Airwolf cancelled because it was getting too expensive to produce and Jan-Michael Vincent's substance abuse issues were getting to out of control?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #56
Ant-Lox
Cloud Watcher

Learned a lot from this thread, had no idea CBS gave birth to my love of FOX NFL coverage. FOX still exclusively shows NFC games, while currently CBS airs AFC games.

Sports Allegiances
Philadelphia 76ers
Philadelphia Flyers
Philadelphia Phillies
Philadelphia Eagles
Detroit Red Wings
New York Football Giants

Old 01-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #57
James

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex
But I think the mistake CBS has done is cater to old farts and sitcoms that drag on for too long, they also failed in trying to create their own family oriented Friday block in the 90's when they brought over Family Matters and Step By Step from ABC.

Hey, that was one of their BEST decisions! I liked those shows!

Their biggest mistake, however, was not giving those two shows closure.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #58
TMC
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex
Wow this is a no brainer since I never watched CBS except for maybe Rescue 911 in the 90's and The Big Bang Theory.

I want to say that CBS' attempt at having their own "TGIF" (dubbed the "Block Party") failed because #1, Step by Step and Family Matters (which were pretty much the linchpins of the whole thing) were already way past their primes by this point. And #2, when you're broadcasting pretty much, the exact same thing as your competitor, it's inevitable that you're going to split your audience right down the middle.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:28 AM   #59
noveel
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
I want to say that CBS' attempt at having their own "TGIF" (dubbed the "Block Party") failed because #1, Step by Step and Family Matters (which were pretty much the linchpins of the whole thing) were already way past their primes by this point. And #2, when you're broadcasting pretty much, the exact same thing as your competitor, it's inevitable that you're going to split your audience right down the middle.

there were also few people under 50 watching CBS at the time, a lot of people just assumed FM and SBS were cancelled when they moved to CBS
Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 AM   #60
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehtman
WTR actor Chuck Norris' acting career is in danger and he needs Martial Law to support both his continuance on acting career and return to the movies.
I loved WTR. I enjoyed it till the end. Chuck Norris had a charm that made it last.