Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

getTV Acquires Norman Lear Sitcoms; Comedy Central Gets Scripted Comedy
Brooklyn Nine-Nine Starts on TBS Jan. 4; Fuller House Season 3, Part 2 Premieres Just in Time for the Holidays!
American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question The 20 Biggest Mess-Ups/Mistakes in CBS History

One of the biggest screw-ups involving CBS that first and foremost comes to my mind is allowing the NFL to leave (after being on CBS for 38 years) for the upstart Fox network in late 1993. This gave Fox a ton and I mean a ton of credibility and severely crippled CBS for the mid-part of the '90s at least. Without the NFL, it became much harder for CBS to promote their shows. More to the point, CBS' affiliates who were wary w/o the NFL for the foreseeable future moved over to Fox beginning in 1994.

Last edited by TMC : 10-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Oh No

When Viacom owned CBS.

It may have helped CBS with "Survivor", but when there came a buttload of Reality Shows...it became a hindrance!

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Getting rid of every show with a tree in it.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Mace Dolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland
When Viacom owned CBS.
I'm not really on the up and up that I wouldn't see how a small entity like Viacom can affect CBS, I just remember seeing the Viacom logos on several sitcoms.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

When Les Moonves took over as president of the network. Among his crimes were cancelling one of my favorite new shows (Christy) and putting his wife on one of those millions of reality shows (Julie Chen - Big Brother) and one of the million pointless talk shows (The Talk).

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

When they moved Murder She Wrote from its Sunday timeslot where it was doing really well in the ratings to Thursdays up against NBC's Friends. The show's ratings plummeted and eventually it was gone. I think this may have been around the time CBS was tired of being known as "the old people network."
Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Nodsmiley

Angela Lansbury, of course, is still going strong. I bet she could still play the heck out of Jessica Fletcher today.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
tlc38tlc38
Knock! Knock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
Angela Lansbury, of course, is still going strong. I bet she could still play the heck out of Jessica Fletcher today.
I think a "Murder, She Wrote" reunion movie is something we're all hoping for! It would truly make my day! It would be ideal for Hallmark channel to produce and air.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
UMFaninMD
I am Sherlocked

Murder, She Wrote is still going strong with a series of novels. The writer, Donald Bain, does a great job with Jessica's character and they're a lot of fun to read. But I would love a reunion movie too!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
benjamoon
Bewitched

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover79
When Les Moonves took over as president of the network. Among his crimes were cancelling one of my favorite new shows (Christy) and putting his wife on one of those millions of reality shows (Julie Chen - Big Brother) and one of the million pointless talk shows (The Talk).

You can not like Les Moonves, but he has been the best thing to happen to CBS. He joined CBS when it was mired in third place and has taken it to consistent ratings wins in viewers and now the demo as well

My favorite TV shows: Bewitched, I Love Lucy, American Dreams, Mary Tyler Moore, The Office, Happy Days, The West Wing, Modern Family, Friday Night Lights, and Friends
Old 09-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #11
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

canceling all there rural sitcoms

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 09-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
James

not canceling "Big Brother"

letting "Two and a Half Men" last as long as it did

foisting "All in the Family" on the American public

canceling "Joan of Arcadia" after just two seasons
Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

not canceling TWO AND A HALF MEN when Charlie sheen was fired.
canceling C.S.I.: NEW YORK.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc38tlc38
I think a "Murder, She Wrote" reunion movie is something we're all hoping for! It would truly make my day! It would be ideal for Hallmark channel to produce and air.

They should do it!! I'd watch!!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
Cool cool cool

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

CBS is my personal least favorite of the big 4 networks, but I can't really think of any big mistakes they've made in recent years. They're a pretty tightly run ship.

The one misstep I can think of is moving 2 Broke Girls to the Monday anchor slot before it was ready, which weakened the entire line-up. But that earned them a stronger Thursday line-up with Big Bang/Two and a Half Men, so...

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com