Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Tyler Perry's House of Payne links at Sitcoms Online / Tyler Perry's House of Payne Photo Gallery

House of Payne - Volume One - Episodes 1-20

Buy House of Payne - Volume One - Episodes 1-20 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Two - Episodes 21-40

Buy House of Payne - Volume Two - Episodes 21-40 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Three - Episodes 41-60

Buy House of Payne - Volume Three - Episodes 41-60 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Four - Episodes 61-80

Buy House of Payne - Volume Four - Episodes 61-80 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Five - Episodes 81-100

Buy House of Payne - Volume Five - Episodes 81-100 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Six - Episodes 101-124

Buy House of Payne - Volume Six - Episodes 101-124 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Seven - Episodes 125-148

Buy House of Payne - Volume Seven - Episodes 125-148 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Eight - Episodes 149-172

Buy House of Payne - Volume Eight - Episodes 149-172 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Nine - Episodes 173-192

Buy House of Payne - Volume Nine - Episodes 173-192 on DVD
House of Payne - Volume Ten - Episodes 193-212

Buy House of Payne - Volume Ten - Episodes 193-212 on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 2000s Sitcoms > Tyler Perry's House of Payne
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot
Fri-Yay: The Middle on The Top; Hulu Snags Futurama
Hallmark's Holly Robinson Peete Series Coming in February; Remembering Sitcom Writer Bob Schiller
Disney Picks Up 2nd Season of Raven Sitcom; Family Matters Cast Reunites
ION Television Gets Festive for Holidays; USA Schedules Psych: The Movie

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Veteran

Question Is it inappropriate to say that I miss those black sitcoms

http://officialfan.proboards.com/thr...-black-sitcoms

Quote:
http://officialfan.proboards.com/pos...3/quote/478768

The thing is, the good ones weren't "black" sitcoms. They were family sitcoms where the main cast just happened to be black. The Cosby Show, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Family Matters. Those shows could have worked exactly the same with a family of any color, and that's what made them great. They were easy to relate to for everyone. Pretty much the exact opposite of Tyler Perry's stuff.

http://officialfan.proboards.com/pos...3/quote/478768

Tyler Perry's sitcoms probably would be able to appeal to a wide ranging audience if he wasn't so hamfisted with his moralizing. I don't think them having a focus on black issues is so much their problem than that the writing is just clunky.

http://officialfan.proboards.com/pos...5/quote/478768

I've seen House of Payne/Meet the Browns more than a few times. The writing is atrocious in both of them, but I think that's only one part of it. There's not a single likable character in either series, the acting is often embarrassing, the sets look cheap, and the switch between "light-hearted family comedy" and "very special episode" territory within the same episode (e.g. whatever that episode is when some kid brings a gun into his class) is jarring. There's just a noticeable lack of effort on every level. I honestly think those two shows rank amongst the worst sitcoms I've ever seen. FWIW - I still mourn the loss of Everybody Hates Chris. That was a funny, modern show with a black cast.

As far as the older ones go, even as a black person myself, I don't remember watching a lot of them. Fresh Prince was pretty funny, though. It stands apart from some the other listed here (Family Matters, for example) in that it actually seems like a sitcom tailored to blacks rather than a regular show that happens to feature a black cast.

http://officialfan.proboards.com/pos...0/quote/478768

Dear sweet Cobb, yes. I'm pretty sure that was the first episode I had ever seen of Meet the Browns and if I have any power over it, it will damn sure be the last. There is literally a scene near the end where they go from an anvilicious, after school special monologue about how bullying students leads to school shootings to, with no lapse between, joking about the bully pissing himself in the ordeal. I cringed. HARD. The Haves and the Have Nots isn't any better. There isn't a single likable character among the bunch; they have zero depth and are transparent as all hell.

Somehow, this crap gets ratings too. If I live to be 100, I'll never understand why or how.

http://officialfan.proboards.com/pos...5/quote/478768

Fresh Prince dealt with race a few times a season, it seemed. Racism was a go-to plot device to them whenever they wanted a special episode. Cosby Show did deal with it, but much less often. It was closer to a family sitcom rather than a black one and hit things less black-specific most of the time, but it did tread there a few times.

As for the Tyler Perry shows, they're just awful, plain and simple. Posters above hit it on the head with terrible writing and unlikable characters.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

No I don't think it's inappropriate at all! I think it's great that The Cosby Show, Good Times and Family Matters were so popular and yet at the same time shows with white families like Growing Pains, All In the Family and Full House were popular as well. I'm sure that all of those shows had viewers who were of all different races. I liked that on Full House, the kids had friends who were of different races. Fresh Prince of Bel Air was a great show! You're right about the fact that the Cosby Show and Family Matters were great because of the fact that they could have been used with any family and they didn't focus on race.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoopie
I'm sure that all of those shows had viewers who were of all different races. I liked that on Full House, the kids had friends who were of different races.
By that same token, I liked that on The Cosby Show, Rudy had a friend who was white- Peter, who lived across the street. (The episode where Rudy and Peter break Cliff's juicer is still one of my favorite's- just hilarious.)
It's nice to see different races intermingling and having friendships- but even if that isn't portrayed, that doesn't necessarily mean the show is racist or purposefully avoiding portraying that race.
Of course, I don't really like the term "black sitcoms" to begin with- as the first poster said, shows like The Cosby Show and Family Matters, etc. were just fun family shows- the emphasis of the show was not solely on the fact that the main cast were African-Americans. (Though it is nice that Family Matters acknowledged that and had an episode dealing with racism and Black History Month. Dealing with a tough social issue like that in such a well done way is to be applauded. Nothing wrong with remembering the family's heritage on the show.)
But it's just a weird term to me because I don't think many people refer to Growing Pains and Family Ties and Full House as "white sitcoms". (Although maybe some people do- I don't know- lol.)
I just think of them as TV shows and I don't care what race the main characters are- if it's a good quality show that promotes good (and hopefully Christian) values, then I am cool with watching it.
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeaper
By that same token, I liked that on The Cosby Show, Rudy had a friend who was white- Peter, who lived across the street. (The episode where Rudy and Peter break Cliff's juicer is still one of my favorite's- just hilarious.)
It's nice to see different races intermingling and having friendships- but even if that isn't portrayed, that doesn't necessarily mean the show is racist or purposefully avoiding portraying that race.
Of course, I don't really like the term "black sitcoms" to begin with- as the first poster said, shows like The Cosby Show and Family Matters, etc. were just fun family shows- the emphasis of the show was not solely on the fact that the main cast were African-Americans. (Though it is nice that Family Matters acknowledged that and had an episode dealing with racism and Black History Month. Dealing with a tough social issue like that in such a well done way is to be applauded. Nothing wrong with remembering the family's heritage on the show.)
But it's just a weird term to me because I don't think many people refer to Growing Pains and Family Ties and Full House as "white sitcoms". (Although maybe some people do- I don't know- lol.)
I just think of them as TV shows and I don't care what race the main characters are- if it's a good quality show that promotes good (and hopefully Christian) values, then I am cool with watching it.
I watch a lot of the Disney Channel (and I mean a LOT), and I've noticed on Good Luck Charlie, that Teddy (who is white) has a best friend named Ivy (who is black and heavyset-I love that she's not stick thin like most actresses-plus she's extremely talented and very pretty). Her brother PJ has a black friend named Emmett, who has a crush on Teddy.
I've seen several 'inter-ratial' relationships on Disney and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. Disney shows aren't romantic per say but they do hint at it and I think it's great that they are trying to mix races. It shows that everyone is equal.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
TMC
Forum Veteran

Tyler Perry's brand of comedy is tailored more to the "Christian", "Southern" types that seek out a more family oriented laugh. He's basically transformed his stage plays into film and TV projects, without taking the highly theatrical elements (including stage actors) out. In turn, the film and TV show versions come off as pushing too hard for a laugh.