Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sanford and Son Online / Sanford and Son links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Sanford and Son Photo Gallery

Sanford and Son - Season 1

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 1 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 2

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 2 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 3

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 3 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 4

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 4 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 5

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 5 on DVD
Sanford and Son - Season 6

Buy Sanford and Son - Season 6 on DVD
Sanford and Son - The Complete Series

Buy Sanford and Son - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Sanford and Son
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic
Summer 2014 Week 7 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: HBO Continues to Lead in Emmy Nominations; WKRP and Wonder Years DVD Updates
Blog Book Review - George Burns Television Productions: The Series and Pilots, 1950-1981; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 14, 2014)
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Hallmark Channel at 2014 TCA Summer Press Tour
Sean Hayes Joining The Millers; Remembering Bob Hastings of McHale's Navy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.
Unhappy Actor Dennis Burkley (Cal Pettie) 1945-2013

The busy character actor voiced Principal Moss on the Fox animated show and played Redd Foxx’s junkyard partner, a biker in "Mask" and Sonny Crockett (no, not that Sonny Crockett).

Link

Dennis Burkley, a burly character actor who played truckers, bartenders, bikers and rednecks during a busy four-decade career that included a stint as the voice of Principal Moss on Fox’s King of the Hill, has died. He was 67.

Burkley died early Sunday in his sleep at his home in Sherman Oaks, agent David Ankrum told The Hollywood Reporter. He had been battling health problems for some time, said his son, Shawn.

The fun-loving Burkley, who was born in Van Nuys, Calif., but grew up outside Dallas, stood 6-foot-3 and for a time weighed more than 300 pounds (he lost a considerable amount of weight in recent years). He often sported a dark, scruffy beard and a Texas accent in a prolific career that began in the early 1970s and included more than 130 film and TV credits.

Two of his more memorable roles were as a giant, mute biker who befriends Eric Stoltz’s character in Peter Bogdanovich’s Mask (1985) and as another biker, a racist named Sonny Crockett, on four 1983 episodes of Hill Street Blues. (Anthony Yerkovich, a writer and producer on that show, gave the character played by Don Johnson that same name a year later when he created the stylish cop show Miami Vice.)

Burkley also starred as Redd Foxx’s junkyard partner Cal Pettie on Sanford, a reboot of Sanford and Son that ran two seasons on NBC from 1980-81. (Demond Wilson, who played Foxx’s son and partner on the original series, did not want to partake.)

Burkley, whose pals called him "Big D," voiced Carl Moss, the principal of Tom Landry Middle School in Arlen, Texas, on 35 episodes of King of the Hill, which aired for 13 seasons from 1997 to 2008.

Burkley also had parts in such films as Heroes (1977), The Slugger’s Wife (1985), Murphy’s Romance (1985), Wanted: Dead or Alive (1986), No Way Out (1987), Who’s That Girl (1987), Fletch Lives (1989), The End of Innocence (1990), The Doors (1991), Rush (1991), Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot (1992), Tin Cup (1996), Touch (1997) and Hollywood Homicide (2003).

Burkley’s TV résumé also includes guest-star stints on such shows as Emergency!, Kojak, Starsky and Hutch, McCloud, One Day at a Time, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, Baretta, Maude, The Rockford Files, B.J. and the Bear, The Fall Guy, The Dukes of Hazzard, Who’s the Boss?, Designing Women, Ellen, NYPD Blue, JAG, The Drew Carey Show and My Name Is Earl.

After attending Grand Prairie High School and getting his master’s in theater at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Burkley headed back to the Los Angeles area, where he cleaned swimming pools while pursing an acting career. One pool he cleaned belonged to Five Easy Pieces director Bob Rafelson, who gave Burkley a bit part in Stay Hungry (1976), starring Arnold Schwarzenegger in his first credited feature role.

Burkley co-wrote, directed and appeared in the 2005 independent comedy Repetition, about students in a Los Angeles acting class, featuring F. Murray Abraham, Mark Hamill and Robert Englund.

In addition to his son, survivors also include Burkley's wife of 46 years, Laura, and their daughter Shannan. Services will be private.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
GARFIELDKOOL

Damn, sorry to hear that. Dennis Burkley was a great character actor. I saw him in lots of stuff. That picture looks like a recent one and obviuosly he lost some weight, but he also looks healthy and refresh.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
gidgetgrape
Hello out there in TV Land!

I didn't recognize the name at first! Dennis and Redd Foxx were a great team. I also liked his performance in "Mask."

R.I.P.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

Burkley also played the role of Chris, Ham Tyler's friend and right hand man, in the great 1980's series, "V".

Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
CelticJobber
Occasional Poster

Sad to hear about this. He was great in Sanford.

He was also good as the farmhand who hated Pauly Shore in the classic early 90's movie "Son In Law".
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Stuck In The '70's
Forum Legend

Very sorry to hear that. He was always a great actor and I loved him on Sanford.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
biffbronson

Sorry to learn about his passing. I had just checked into him online a few days ago and saw that he was alive. I spent many happy hours watching him with Redd on Sanford.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."
Old 07-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I got a rock.

Unhappy

Dennis Burkley

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin