Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

American Dad! Christmas Special on TBS; Jessica Jones Returns for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #31
Fleet
Forum Veteran
Mansions, limousines & H-ween

Send a message via AIM to Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
Why do we need payphones? They're unneccessary and far less convenient than a cell phone. Technology changes, and society evolves. It's been happening since the beginning of time, and it's not going to stop for payphones.

There are still payphones probably because not everyone has a cell-phone. Then, there are those who go out and leave their cell-phone at home by mistake.

Quote:
Do you want us to still use phonographs and ride around in horse & buggies, too?

I still use a phonograph. Because I have far more albums than CDs. No horse & buggy, though!
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet
There are still payphones probably because not everyone has a cell-phone. Then, there are those who go out and leave their cell-phone at home by mistake.

I still use a phonograph. Because I have far more albums than CDs. No horse & buggy, though!

Exactly!!! Ppl do forget their cell phones, batteries run down, minutes run out.

It's as I said a lot of this new technology is a hassle, b/c it has to be maintained and kept up, whereas with payphones..... ANYONE can use a payphone, as long as you have some change.

We finally agree on something Fleet lol
Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #33
Frump

Quote:

Exactly!!! Ppl do forget their cell phones, batteries run down, minutes run out.

It's as I said a lot of this new technology is a hassle, b/c it has to be maintained and kept up, whereas with payphones..... ANYONE can use a payphone, as long as you have some change.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #34
robyrob
Forum Legend
certified wackball#3

payphones give me the heebie-jeebies - especially in downtown big cities, it would take a pretty big emergency for me to want to touch one, but then I don't carry any dimes, so I'd be dead before I used one anyways.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #35
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:

Great photos Tony. I used to listen to my records all the time. I still have a big collection of them but I don't have anything to play them on. lol
Old 06-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #36
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
Great photos Tony. I used to listen to my records all the time. I still have a big collection of them but I don't have anything to play them on. lol

Go to Ebay and buy a turntable.

Ebay is about the only place I shop nowdasy b/c it's the only place I can find anything.

WalMart doesn't carry anything that's more that 2 days old lol
Old 06-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #37
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frump

Ebay is about the only place I shop nowdasy b/c it's the only place I can find anything.

Thanks. I'll have to give it a look. I agree about Walmart. they've been going down hill for years. lol
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #38
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
Thanks. I'll have to give it a look. I agree about Walmart. they've been going down hill for years. lol

I swear, I used to go into Walmart and spend 2 hours just looking at things, they had asiles and aisles of stuff, now they have lost SOO MUCH, but a whole lot of space.

But ebay is wonderful!!!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #39
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
payphones give me the heebie-jeebies - especially in downtown big cities, it would take a pretty big emergency for me to want to touch one, but then I don't carry any dimes, so I'd be dead before I used one anyways.

Arent they .25 or .50 now? You'd probably need quarters.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #40
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:

Best place to find one is at a thrift shop such as Goodwill or Salvation Army. In most cases you can get a quality name-brand turntable for about $10. I've bought several such as Kenwood, Pioneer, Toshiba and Yamaha. I try to buy only the silver models made during the 70's as they perform much better than the black models produced from the 80's and onward.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #41
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette
Arent they .25 or .50 now? You'd probably need quarters.
The ones here are $1.00. Inflation. lol
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #42
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoneboy
Best place to find one is at a thrift shop such as Goodwill or Salvation Army. In most cases you can get a quality name-brand turntable for about $10. I've bought several such as Kenwood, Pioneer, Toshiba and Yamaha. I try to buy only the silver models made during the 70's as they perform much better than the black models produced from the 80's and onward.
We have them in town. I haven't been in them in quite awhile. I remember they always had a good collection of records. I never really looked for turntables though. I should give it a shot.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #43
Zoneboy
Forum Celebrity
RIP, I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU :(

Location: AT HOME WISHING ALL THIS WAS JUST A DREAM AND THAT I'LL WAKE UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
Your argument is ridiculous. You're basically arguing we should leave payphones up just because...well, we just should! You admit they serve no purpose, so why keep them?

They do serve one purpose...

Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #44
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:

I actually drove to a car show today, about 8 miles away, and forgot my cell phone! I forgot I was charging it. Fortunately, I didn't need a phone. But a pay phone would have come in handy if I needed to make a call. (There are still some where I live.)
Old 06-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #45
Fleet
Forum Veteran

Quote:

I bought mine at Radio Shack, about 12 years ago. Maybe more.