Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #16
biffbronson

Location: In my dreams, back at age 15 in Erin Moran's bedroom in 1980, making passionate love...

Payphones require employees to pick up the coins and also to perform repairs (vandalism is always a threat to outdoor ones). It's similar with the reduced number of mailboxes now: The big companies are eliminating things like this because they're cutting expenses, as far as I can tell.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."

"What's the word?" (Paul Martin) ~~ "I don't want money for nothing." (Timmy Martin) -- Lassie ROCKS! WORD UP

"It's just a dugout that my dad built... In case the reds decide to push the button down..."
Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
our public library still has a pay phone in front. Noone ever uses it, but it's still there.

No, wait-I saw someone using it recently.

I'm surprised libraries are still around lol
Old 06-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #18
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbigley
Where I live, we have a place that recycles old computers, phones, etc. I hope all those old payphones, cellphones and old computers in the pictures above dont end up in a landfill. When I was little, I used to use the VHS tapes and build things with them. Where I live, I dont see payphones anymore. Its getting to be where I dont even see a wall clock. I have not owned a wristwatch in years because I have a clock on my cellphone. When I was younger, I remember a few times when those payphones were a life saver. I also dont own a calculator anymore because I have one on my cellphone.

That's exactly what I mean, wouldn't it be better to leave some of the phones up than having them in landfields.

See that's what bothers me about this new generation, if it serve no purpose it HAS to go! I mean clocks in the middle of town are PRETTY I think, but just b/c everyone is plugged in to their phone 24/7 they have to go, what's next? Taking down Big Ben, b/c it serves no purpose?

And wrist watches can be pretty but I hear so many ppl say they dont wear them now just b/c of cell phones. It's just little things like this that.... I dunno, I just don't look forward to living on a totally bare Earth.

Like my friend said, everything has to be SOOO today!! I mean back in the 80s you still saw things from the 50s around but now if it's older than 5 days old, get rid of it.

And like he also said, it's gonna get to the point where ppl say, "You still use chairs?! That is so outdated!!" or "You still live in a HOUSE?! Man get with the times!!" "You still breath AIR!?" Lol it's getting there.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #19
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
Payphones require employees to pick up the coins and also to perform repairs (vandalism is always a threat to outdoor ones). It's similar with the reduced number of mailboxes now: The big companies are eliminating things like this because they're cutting expenses, as far as I can tell.

As I said mail will stop running someday. That has my grandma in a tizzy a lot b/c she's afraid she's going to lose her mail route.

I also don't think it's a goos thing to stop teaching kids how to write in school, if someday a disater strikes us we are gonna be SOO unprepaired.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #20
Flying Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frump
I still dunno why they can't leave a few payphones around, what is it hurting, just b/c it looks so outdated in this space age society.

Not everyone has a cell phone there are actually still SOME ppl without a computer.

I just hate the way everythng is geared toward the masses, I still like to consider the little person too.

And technology has it's drawbacks too, I could go on and on about that.

Like when I'm watching a movie and the picture freezes, I'd much rather put up with a little static.

Or when the the lightening knocks out the lights and it takes the TV 30 minutes to reboot, used to it woudl come back on instantly.

I have VHS tapes and cassett tapes from the early 80s that still play but I have CDs and DVDs that are only a few years old and scratched up.

I really dunno what's so great about a lot of the "technology"

Most things were fine the way they were.

If we are so high tech, it looks like we could find a cure for cancer, something that could actually benefit.

I agree with you Frump. Maybe they just figure if they did leave them around, they would probably just waste away and become an eyesore because the phone companies are not going to spend money to maintain them if they are not working. Or maybe someone would end up buying the property that the payphone is on and want the thing removed. I think the biggest thing is money. If something or someone is not making a company any money, it, or they, get ousted.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

Quote:

And wrist watches can be pretty but I hear so many ppl say they dont wear them now just b/c of cell phones. It's just little things like this that.... I dunno, I just don't look forward to living on a totally bare Earth.

LOL! My friends who still wear watches work in high security jobs where they have to leave their phones in their cars or at home.

My husband's cell died out when he was trying to give me directions to come pick him up--this was a few years ago before GPSs were standard features on phones/cars. I was circling around in a panic in a not-so-nice part of DC when my phone rang. He said, "Im only going to tell you once, I'm at the corner of X and Y!" and he hung up. After finally finding him, he said that the ear piece of the phone was caked in goo (neither one of us wanted to dwell on that too much) that he was terrified of getting his mouth too close to the mouthpiece. He also said that the homeless had been using the payphone as a Don's John.

Nope, don't miss them.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
Cool cool cool

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

Quote:
That's exactly what I mean, wouldn't it be better to leave some of the phones up than having them in landfields.

See that's what bothers me about this new generation, if it serve no purpose it HAS to go! I mean clocks in the middle of town are PRETTY I think, but just b/c everyone is plugged in to their phone 24/7 they have to go, what's next? Taking down Big Ben, b/c it serves no purpose?

Like my friend said, everything has to be SOOO today!! I mean back in the 80s you still saw things from the 50s around but now if it's older than 5 days old, get rid of it.

And like he also said, it's gonna get to the point where ppl say, "You still use chairs?! That is so outdated!!" or "You still live in a HOUSE?! Man get with the times!!" "You still breath AIR!?" Lol it's getting there.
Your argument is ridiculous. You're basically arguing we should leave payphones up just because...well, we just should! You admit they serve no purpose, so why keep them? They probably cost some kind of fee to keep around (granted, a minimal one) and no one is using them, so what's the point? I can see an argument for leaving big, nice-looking city clocks up, but payphones are ugly, useless and boring - why keep them around?

I'm not sure why you're so resistant to change. Society has been changing and evolving since the beginning of time. Like I said, it's not going to stop because you miss payphones and VHS tapes. Sorry!

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
Old 06-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman
I agree with you Frump. Maybe they just figure if they did leave them around, they would probably just waste away and become an eyesore because the phone companies are not going to spend money to maintain them if they are not working. Or maybe someone would end up buying the property that the payphone is on and want the thing removed. I think the biggest thing is money. If something or someone is not making a company any money, it, or they, get ousted.

I think it's most ppl's idea now days if something serves NO PURPOSE, get rid of it. I know that might sound practical, but it's not always, something are just.....nice to have around, I dunno.

Someday it will be like, "Who needs flowers, when I can just download a floral app on my cellphone, you can look at all the flowers you want!" I mean that will be a horrible world I think.

Also another way technology has it's drawbacks is the video store which are almost a thing of the past.

I miss so much just browsing through the video store. And you could get practically ANY movie right then, when you wanted it....of course now there are Netflix, BUT you have to wait until the movie arrives, you can't have it right then. And there are Red Boxes but I like more than just 3 or 4 selections lol Many ways it was better back in the day IMO.

Heck a doctors used to come to your home and deliver a baby right there, how convenient was THAT!!! Doctors made house calls, Pharmacies delivered, Now days you go to them or you can just lay there in pain, it doesn't matter if you're old, or what.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
Your argument is ridiculous. You're basically arguing we should leave payphones up just because...well, we just should! You admit they serve no purpose, so why keep them? They probably cost some kind of fee to keep around (granted, a minimal one) and no one is using them, so what's the point? I can see an argument for leaving big, nice-looking city clocks up, but payphones are ugly, useless and boring - why keep them around?

I'm not sure why you're so resistant to change. Society has been changing and evolving since the beginning of time. Like I said, it's not going to stop because you miss payphones and VHS tapes. Sorry!

You said "no one uses pay phones"? I'm someone, aren't I? And I still use them occasionally.

So I'm saying it doesn't harm anything to leave maybe a couple of payphones up for those who don't have cells, surely having 1 or 2 payphones in a town is not going to hurt anything, just in case someone doesn't have a cell OR their cell in broken.

And it's not true to say NO ONE uses them, b/c I know ppl who do, I know ppl who would rather pay with a Money Order than with plastic, especailly a lot of elderly ppl, the easy thing is ANYONE can get a money order as long as you walk in with money, to get a credit card you have to be approved and go through that ordeal, to have a debit card you must have a checking account which not everyone has.
If I was selling something I'd take whatever payment they offered I wouldn't make them beg me to take my money.

I just brought that up b/c money orders are another thing thats getting harder to get.

Cell phones do break, I knew one girl who had like over 100 pictures saved on her phone, she dropped and broke her phone and lost every pic, again this is why I say film is superior.

See this is the way of thinking that bothers me is that everything should be for the masses and forget the little person.

I used to make outfits and loved to sew but where I used to buy my sewing supplies has lost over half of their stuff just b/c no one sews anymore, not only did I hate that but it also hurt a lot of other ppl like quilters who sew for a living. Change like that is what makes me mad.

but just throwing back to me that "it's not going to stop because you miss payphones and VHS tapes. sorry" solves nothing b/c you didn't address the issue, I pointed out a way that VHS tapes are superior and you didn't address that. I said I have VHS tapes from the 80s that still play well but DVDs that skip and are scratched. It seems technology should be working in the other way, if DVDs are superior I should have to be as careful with them not to scratch them, they should be built to last.

But I think things in the old days were built to last.
Things wear out much faster now days than they did

I just miss anything that's easier and simpler to use, and I see no reason to make things harder and more complicated. I'm not one to just jump on the bandwagon just b/c something is newer.

And yeah I know that society has always changed, but I've not seen it change as much and as fast as I have in the past few years, where not only do new things come out, but everything goes goes out of existence and outdated and obsolete practically as soon as it comes out, that is ridiculious.

It's like I said, the 80s had technology BUT the older things were still available for those who wanted them.

So all I'm saying is a lot of the older ways were easier and more practical, and technology does have it's drawbacks, I think ppl just like it a lot b/c it's trendy.

I have LOTS of cassett tapes that are really good and its a shame they are practiaclly useless now, so I did upgrade to CDs and now they are obsolete. It' just annoying that you can't just enjoying your stuff b/c you have to constantly be updating.
About the time you get your music or movie library complete it becomes useless, then you have to go through all that time and money updating it again. It's just a headache.

I went to Wal Mart to buy a cd player and they didn't have them all they had was Ipods, and were explaining, oh you have to go onto the internet, burn this, rip that, download this, etc... and I'm like, "Man I just want something to play my CDs on!!"
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
MickeyMac
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
Why do we need payphones? They're unneccessary and far less convenient than a cell phone. Technology changes, and society evolves. It's been happening since the beginning of time, and it's not going to stop for payphones.

Do you want us to still use phonographs and ride around in horse & buggies, too?

Obviously you are young.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

Quote:
You said "no one uses pay phones"? I'm someone, aren't I? And I still use them occasionally.

So I'm saying it doesn't harm anything to leave maybe a couple of payphones up for those who don't have cells, surely having 1 or 2 payphones in a town is not going to hurt anything, just in case someone doesn't have a cell OR their cell in broken.

And it's not true to say NO ONE uses them, b/c I know ppl who do, I know ppl who would rather pay with a Money Order than with plastic, especailly a lot of elderly ppl, the easy thing is ANYONE can get a money order as long as you walk in with money, to get a credit card you have to be approved and go through that ordeal, to have a debit card you must have a checking account which not everyone has.
If I was selling something I'd take whatever payment they offered I wouldn't make them beg me to take my money.

I just brought that up b/c money orders are another thing thats getting harder to get.

Cell phones do break, I knew one girl who had like over 100 pictures saved on her phone, she dropped and broke her phone and lost every pic, again this is why I say film is superior.

See this is the way of thinking that bothers me is that everything should be for the masses and forget the little person.

I used to make outfits and loved to sew but where I used to buy my sewing supplies has lost over half of their stuff just b/c no one sews anymore, not only did I hate that but it also hurt a lot of other ppl like quilters who sew for a living. Change like that is what makes me mad.

but just throwing back to me that "it's not going to stop because you miss payphones and VHS tapes. sorry" solves nothing b/c you didn't address the issue, I pointed out a way that VHS tapes are superior and you didn't address that. I said I have VHS tapes from the 80s that still play well but DVDs that skip and are scratched. It seems technology should be working in the other way, if DVDs are superior I should have to be as careful with them not to scratch them, they should be built to last.

But I think things in the old days were built to last.
Things wear out much faster now days than they did

I just miss anything that's easier and simpler to use, and I see no reason to make things harder and more complicated. I'm not one to just jump on the bandwagon just b/c something is newer.

And yeah I know that society has always changed, but I've not seen it change as much and as fast as I have in the past few years, where not only do new things come out, but everything goes goes out of existence and outdated and obsolete practically as soon as it comes out, that is ridiculious.

It's like I said, the 80s had technology BUT the older things were still available for those who wanted them.

So all I'm saying is a lot of the older ways were easier and more practical, and technology does have it's drawbacks, I think ppl just like it a lot b/c it's trendy.

I have LOTS of cassett tapes that are really good and its a shame they are practiaclly useless now, so I did upgrade to CDs and now they are obsolete. It' just annoying that you can't just enjoying your stuff b/c you have to constantly be updating.
About the time you get your music or movie library complete it becomes useless, then you have to go through all that time and money updating it again. It's just a headache.

I went to Wal Mart to buy a cd player and they didn't have them all they had was Ipods, and were explaining, oh you have to go onto the internet, burn this, rip that, download this, etc... and I'm like, "Man I just want something to play my CDs on!!"
I've used pay phones a couple times in the last few years. I don't even have a cell phone.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #27
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMac
Obviously you are young.

Yep that's the way of thinking of the younger generation, what do we need with it, boom get rid of it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #28
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
I've used pay phones a couple times in the last few years. I don't even have a cell phone.

Exactly!! It's not true what that person said about "No one" uses them. You and I are someone, but that's the way of thinking now days, the minority doesn't matter.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
Coffeecup
coffeecup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson
Also I heard it cost the facility that has the phone $50.00 a month for a rental fee. With any new gadget that comes into society, something old will fade away. I don't have problem with phones, but gadgets to play music, cassette players, etc. You still need the old item unless you want to completely get rid of your tapes. You lose memories there. As for wristwatches I would not be with out one. I realize we have moved from pocket watches to wrist watches, but I don't want to spend time fishing in pocket, purse or whatever to see the time by using a IPOD . Just a turn of the wrist and I see time. I hope wrist watches don't go away.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeecup
Also I heard it cost the facility that has the phone $50.00 a month for a rental fee. With any new gadget that comes into society, something old will fade away. I don't have problem with phones, but gadgets to play music, cassette players, etc. You still need the old item unless you want to completely get rid of your tapes. You lose memories there. As for wristwatches I would not be with out one. I realize we have moved from pocket watches to wrist watches, but I don't want to spend time fishing in pocket, purse or whatever to see the time by using a IPOD . Just a turn of the wrist and I see time. I hope wrist watches don't go away.

I agree, I don't wanna lose my memories, younger ppl don't seem to understand things like that ~for the most part~

I was just thinking when I drove by the old Budget Video and Video Blowout stores, I miss so much going in there and just browsing the tapes.

There just something that's not the same out sitting in front of a computer browsing titles on Netflicks It's fun to get out of the house and do things and away from the computer screen occasionally.

I do have a cell phone but only for emergencies IREFUSE to use it in restaurants, out in nature, in store or in movie theaters, etc... unless like I say it's an emergency.

I love the internet, but it's a good feeling to just get AWAY from it for a while sometimes.