Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 16, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Television Academy Hall of Fame Inductees Announced; Roswell Ready for Reboot

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Flying Dutchman

Default Ever wonder what happened to Pay phones?

Tech Graveyards: Where Old Technology Goes to Die

For technology geeks, it's out with the old and in with the new. But every new gadget acquired means that old tech gets trashed. What happens to all those junked cellphones, computer monitors and ancient laptops? Here, some tales of technology that's gone to the graveyard.

Pay phone graveyard Ever wondered where all the old pay phones went? Well, some, at least 100, ended up under the elevated training on West Side Highway at 135th Street and 12th Avenue in Manhattan. Freelance photographer Dave Bledsoe noted his find on his Flickr page of "at least 100 old, battered pay phones locked behind a chain link fence near the Park's Department building." He told Yahoo News in an email that he thought the phones looked "sad and forlorn," writing, "Our modern tech is very convenient but it tends to be impersonal.” He added, “The day of street side telephones and person to person contact makes us long for something a little more intimate than a text message.”
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Frump

It's a shame really!!

I mean I know most ppl have cell phones, but not everyone does, I don't see any harm in leaving a few just in case. BUT that's the order of the day if something doesn't look like from the year 2075 it gets done away with.

Lets see, other things you don't see anymore.... mannquins in stores... I mean the ones that LOOK like ppl, not just those white headless things.

And colored bathroom tissue, remember it used to come in pink, yellow, blue

I keep saying someday we will live in a world where absolutly NOTHING exists, and we will all have our brains plugged in to a giant mother cellphone, we won't even live in houses.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

My Town still has pay phones. I know 2 places where they have one and there is also one at the grocery store.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Frump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck In The '70's
My Town still has pay phones. I know 2 places where they have one and there is also one at the grocery store.

I had a HORRIBLE afternoon once, I didn't have my cell and EVERYPLACE I went to that used to have a payphone it was gone.

It infuriates me how ppl think now days. It's like just b/c we have all this new technology we can't have the older stuff too, I mean why can't we have BOTH?

Now I make it a point to USE a payphone when I see one instead of a cell, I like to keep them in business as muchas I can.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
EmoJoe
Forum Legend
Cool cool cool

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

Why do we need payphones? They're unneccessary and far less convenient than a cell phone. Technology changes, and society evolves. It's been happening since the beginning of time, and it's not going to stop for payphones.

Do you want us to still use phonographs and ride around in horse & buggies, too?

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
D-Dey
Win The War!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
Why do we need payphones? They're unneccessary and far less convenient than a cell phone. Technology changes, and society evolves. It's been happening since the beginning of time, and it's not going to stop for payphones.
True, but the phone booths they originated from at least offer privacy and the elimination of background noise that cell phones don't offer.

In Westbury Manor restaurant, they have a few phone booths. They don't work, unfortunately.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
retrofan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe

Do you want us to still use phonographs and ride around in horse & buggies, too?

Agreed. Even when I was younger, before we had cell phones, I only recall using a payphone a handful of times. Also with credit cards, I wouldn't be able to use a pay phone even if they did still exist as I don't carry around change anymore. LOL!!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
JamesG
Forum Celebrity
Freakshow

You can still find payphones around NYC. You can find them on the city streets, subway stations, and the lobbies of most major supermarkets.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Flying Dutchman

I still have a Laptop I bought in 2001 used. A 1999 Dell Latitude. Pentium 3 600Mhz CPU. 128K of RAM 13GB HD. and 14 inch square screen. It also has a floppy drive in it and does plays ONLY CDs and DVDs No writing. It works okay, has a few scratches but doesn't affect it. It also has, believe it or not, AOL 4.0 and Windows 98 1st ED OS. I paid over $500 for this in 01, but it's basically worthless now. Pick em up online for about $25 working. In every sense of the word, my Alienware MX17 is superior to this Dell, and is worth almost 4 times what I originally paid for the Dell. But I had more fun on that Dell than I do on this Alienware, and there are times when I just boot up that dinosaur of a laptop and just play old games on it, like Yahtzee and and Windows 98 compatible Monopoly.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Flying Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dey
True, but the phone booths they originated from at least offer privacy and the elimination of background noise that cell phones don't offer.

In Westbury Manor restaurant, they have a few phone booths. They don't work, unfortunately.

Not to mention that there still a secure landline, unlike a Cell phone.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
70s show watcher

my town still has a few payphones left
Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
Frump

I still dunno why they can't leave a few payphones around, what is it hurting, just b/c it looks so outdated in this space age society.

Not everyone has a cell phone there are actually still SOME ppl without a computer.

I just hate the way everythng is geared toward the masses, I still like to consider the little person too.

And technology has it's drawbacks too, I could go on and on about that.

Like when I'm watching a movie and the picture freezes, I'd much rather put up with a little static.

Or when the the lightening knocks out the lights and it takes the TV 30 minutes to reboot, used to it woudl come back on instantly.

I have VHS tapes and cassett tapes from the early 80s that still play but I have CDs and DVDs that are only a few years old and scratched up.

I really dunno what's so great about a lot of the "technology"

Most things were fine the way they were.

If we are so high tech, it looks like we could find a cure for cancer, something that could actually benefit.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
treky
Forum Veteran
star trek fan

our public library still has a pay phone in front. Noone ever uses it, but it's still there.

No, wait-I saw someone using it recently.

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
70s show watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frump
I still dunno why they can't leave a few payphones around, what is it hurting, just b/c it looks so outdated in this space age society.

Not everyone has a cell phone there are actually still SOME ppl without a computer.

I just hate the way everythng is geared toward the masses, I still like to consider the little person too.

And technology has it's drawbacks too, I could go on and on about that.

Like when I'm watching a movie and the picture freezes, I'd much rather put up with a little static.

Or when the the lightening knocks out the lights and it takes the TV 30 minutes to reboot, used to it woudl come back on instantly.

I have VHS tapes and cassett tapes from the early 80s that still play but I have CDs and DVDs that are only a few years old and scratched up.

I really dunno what's so great about a lot of the "technology"

Most things were fine the way they were.

If we are so high tech, it looks like we could find a cure for cancer, something that could actually benefit.
i still hove tons of vhs tapes too
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
jasonbigley
Forum Regular

Where I live, we have a place that recycles old computers, phones, etc. I hope all those old payphones, cellphones and old computers in the pictures above dont end up in a landfill. When I was little, I used to use the VHS tapes and build things with them. Where I live, I dont see payphones anymore. Its getting to be where I dont even see a wall clock. I have not owned a wristwatch in years because I have a clock on my cellphone. When I was younger, I remember a few times when those payphones were a life saver. I also dont own a calculator anymore because I have one on my cellphone.