Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls
New Comedy for Sundance Now Service from Peep Show Stars; Showtime's SMILF Gets Set for Premiere

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Pavan
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
SO News/Reviews Director

Location: Linden, NJ (Where Hal Linden got his last name from!)
Send a message via ICQ to Pavan
Default James Gandolfini Passes Away at 51

BREAKING NEWS:

June 19, 2013

James Gandolfini, the actor who most famously portrayed Tony Soprano on the series "The Sopranos," has died in Italy at age 51, according to HBO, which broadcast "The Sopranos."

Gandolfini also has a long list of credits as a film actor in character and supporting roles.

Gandolini died reportedly of a heart attack.

He won three Emmy awards for his performance on the HBO series 'The Sopranos'.
SitcomsOnline.com DVD Reviews -- We are #1 in reviews!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Flying Dutchman

OMG! At 51? That is so young.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Unhappy

Too sad. I'm in shock. I feel like crying. Terrible news. I never missed a single episode of The Sopranos.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
80sTrivia
Forum Veteran
Pop Culture Soothsayer

Very shocking, sad news...
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

RIP James
Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
shotzette
De Facto Queen of Everything

I'm probably the only person on the planet who hasn't seen The Sopranos, but I've been a fan of Mr. Gandolfini's other projects for years. He was far to young to die and far too young to leave a teenager and an infant fatherless. Sad for all around.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
*ROGER*
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotzette
I'm probably the only person on the planet who hasn't seen The Sopranos
You're not the only one. I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos, but I have seen clips, and I think the show is pure trash. It's vulgar, dumbed down, brain-dead crap for the Jersey shore crowd. I hate it.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Unhappy

James Ganolfini. It's scary having someone this close to my age (I'll be 49 this year) die.

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ROGER*
You're not the only one. I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos, but I have seen clips, and I think the show is pure trash. It's vulgar, dumbed down, brain-dead crap for the Jersey shore crowd. I hate it.
Way to go Roger. Not a kind word for the deceased, and a disgusting insult for its audience who are feeling kinda lousy right now. Since you have nothing nice to say, stay out of this thread.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
Family Ties Forever!

Unhappy

The Sopranos isn't my type of show, with the violence and language; however, it still has my respect due to its enormous popularity, numerous Emmys and other awards. James Gandolfini was a brilliant actor who died way before his time.

My prayers are extended to his family and friends. I'm sure they're heartbroken beyond words right now.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Mr. Television
Forum Legend
Sitcoms Online Photo Galleries

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...sEnabled=false

James Gandolfini dead at 51: Family friends Gilles and Carole Marini say late 'Sopranos' star seemed in good health

The 'Dancing with the Stars' vet spent time at graduation party with his friend and saw no signs of Gandolfini's impending heart attack.

By Casey Tolan , Nancy Dillon AND Larry Mcshane / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:36 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 20, 2013, 6:47 PM

A happy and seemingly healthy James Gandolfini spoke excitedly about his upcoming father-son vacation just five days before his death inside a Rome hotel room.

The Emmy-winning star of “The Sopranos” was stoked last Friday at an eighth-grade graduation party for his 13-year-old son Michael, said family friend Carole Marini.

Gandolfini “was amazing as usual,” Marini told the Daily News. “He seemed very healthy to me — walking around, laughing, smiling, showing his little baby girl to everybody.

“There was no sign of trouble,” added Marini, wife of “Dancing with the Stars” veteran Gilles Marini. “For us, it was a shock.”
Actor Gilles Marini (left) and his wife Carole, close friends of Gandolfini’s, had dinner with the actor several days before his death and said the ‘Sopranos’ star seemed healthy.

After Gandolfini’s son found his dad in their room, doctors waged a desperate 40-minute battle to revive the hulking “Sopranos” star before declaring him dead.

The extraordinary Wednesday night effort by medical teams in the ambulance and emergency room included heart massage — but couldn’t save the 51-year-old Gandolfini’s life.

“The patient was considered dead on arrival,” said Dr. Claudio Modini, the emergency room chief.

An autopsy was planned to determine if the 260-pound actor’s bulk or hard-partying past played any role in his sudden demise, as members of his HBO friends continued to lavish praise on Gandolfini’s life and work.

Edie Falco, who played Tony Soprano’s suburban housewife/mob enabler Carmela, said the Garden State gangster couple was the Romeo and Juliet of organized crime.

“The love between Tony and Carmela was one of the greatest I’ve ever known,” she said in a statement. “My heart goes out to his family, as those of us in his pretend one hold on to the memories of our intense and beautiful time together.”

Jamie-Lynn Sigler, who played daughter Meadow Soprano on the acclaimed HBO show, sent her best wishes to Gandolfini’s widow and two kids.

“This news has left me heartbroken,” she said. “I spent 10 years of my life studying and admiring one of the most brilliant actors, yes, but importantly one of the greatest men.

'I consider myself lucky to have spent 10 years as his close colleague,' said Falco of her co-star James Gandolfini, seen here with their Emmys for best actor and actress in a drama series at the 55th annual Emmy Award show in 2003.

“I treasure my memories with him and feel so honored that I was an up-close witness to his greatness.”

Bruce Springsteen, whose E Street Band includes Gandolfini’s TV consigliere Steve Van Zandt, played his classic “Born to Run” album in its entirety in the late actor’s memory at a show in Conventry, England.

In Rome, a family friend provided more details about the shocking Wednesday night death that rocked fans from Mahwah to Milan.

Says Katherine Narducci, who played Charmaine Bucco, 'I can tell you he was the most generous person in the world.'

Gandolfini, after suffering an apparent heart attack, was discovered inside his hotel room — apparently by his high school-bound son.

There was no immediate word on plans for a wake or funeral, and U.S. Embassy officials said it could take up to a week for the return of Gandolfini’s body to the United States.

Gandolfini, the son of Italian immigrants, was in Rome on a working vacation. He was scheduled to appear at the Taormina Film Festival, where Gandolfini was slated to receive a special prize and appear at the closing ceremony with Oscar-winning actress Marisa Tomei.

A special tribute was planned instead to honor Gandolfini, according to festival organizers.

Patricia Arquette — seen with Gandolfini in the film True Romance — said 'James was incredibly talented and I feel very fortunate to have had the chance to work with him. ... His work as Tony Soprano was flawless.'

“I felt like somebody kicked me in the stomach,” said Katherine Narducci, who played Charmaine Bucco on the HBO hit series. “I can tell you he was the most generous person in the world ... I can’t believe that he’s gone.”

Narducci said she said last saw Gandolfini at Madison Square Garden for a concert raising funds for victims of Hurricane Sandy.

Gandolfini left behind his wife, Deborah, and two kids: Michael and infant daughter Liliana.

“He was such a beautiful father,” said Narducci. “He loved his kids so much — it was obvious. ... He was just a really loving, loving, loving wonderful guy.”
A young Tony Soprano from the 1999 first season of “The Sopranos,” James Gandolfini brought a powerful complexity to the role of mob boss.

Patricia Arquette, who starred opposite Gandolfini in the pre-“Sopranos” film “True Romance,” heaped similar praise on the lost star.

Gandolfini’s Tribeca neighbors recalled him as a regular guy who was quick with a hand or a hello.

“He did a lot of great things for a lot of people,” said Michael Collarone, owner of a local restaurant where Gandolfini often ate breakfast. “He was an everyday person. He was a great man. I’m heartbroken.”

Michelle Luhan Nordberg, 45, recalled Gandolfini inviting the residents of their building to parties at his place.

“He was a really nice guy, a very sweet man,” said dietician Nordberg. “In spite of his big size, and despite the characters he played, he was really a big teddy bear.”
Old 06-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

So very sad to hear of his death, may he rest in peace.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Unhappy

I heard on the news that it was confirmed that he had suffered a heart attack. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, children, and the rest of his loved ones.

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
OH Nuts!
Forum Legend
WINGing it on a Sandpiper!

Very sad to hear of his untimely passing. My condolences to his family and fans.

xxoo You both Rock!!
Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
Brad Russ
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Russ

I was very sad to hear about this. He was only one day younger than my mom, far too young to go. RIP Mr. Gandolfini.
St. John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Currently my favorite song.