Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 11, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Danny Masterson Fired From Netflix Series The Ranch; Disney/Fox Merger a Step Closer?
Fri-Yay: Superstore's Christmas Special; This Is It! One Day at a Time Returns for 2nd Year
Another Period Returns Jan. 23; Pop Orders Comedy Pilot from Krysten Ritter
TBS Launches New Comedy Tarantula; Inside the Actors Studio with Kristen Wiig
The Nanny Coming to COZI TV in January; GSN Adds Chris Harrison Episodes of Millionaire
Full House Heads to Hallmark Channel in January 2018; CBS Mid-Season 2018 Schedule
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 4, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Pilot Season at Amazon to Come to an End?; CBS Plans "Winter Games" with Celebrity Big Brother
Fri-Yay: Search Party, Creating a New Kind of Sitcom; Remembering Jim Nabors, MeTV and Decades TV Network to Pay Tribute
ABC Faves Head to Hulu; SMILF Gets 2nd Season on Showtime
CBS Orders Full Seasons of Sophomore Sitcoms; Desperate Housewives Star Heads to Dynasty
Two and a Half Men Heads to Nick at Nite; WE tv Acquires Criminal Minds

New on DVD/Blu-ray (November/December)

The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season Living Single - The Complete Third Season Alice - The Complete Sixth Season One Day at a Time - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Second Season

11/07 - American Dad! - Volume 12
11/07 - Family Guy - Season Fifteen
11/07 - The Wayans Bros. - The Complete Third Season
11/14 - D.C. Follies - The Complete Series
11/21 - Living Single - The Complete Third Season
11/24 - Grandfathered - Season 1
12/05 - Alice - The Complete Sixth Season
12/05 - One Day at a Time - The Complete Series
12/05 - The Simpsons - The Eighteenth Season
12/05 - South Park - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5
12/12 - Fuller House - The Complete Second Season
12/19 - South Park - The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray) / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Heart Why is/was your Dad so Special?

My father was put on this earth to take care of his family; at least that's the way he saw it. He was a hard-working longshoreman for over 50 years. He got all the overtime he could so my Mom could be a stay-at-home mother. I loved having her there all the time. In the summer, He would rent a big house in New Hampshire or Maine for a month, and only come up on weekends. He worked all week.

He was a loving man who never refused his kids anything, within reason. We weren't spoiled, just well taken care of. I always laugh when anyone looks down on blue collar workers because my Dad made fantastic money. My folks were a great team, and I never took them for granted. My father was great to his five sisters and to my mother's family. He was a generous man with a heart of gold.

He's been gone 11 years now, and I can honestly say that not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of him. I was very fortunate to have him for a father. I love you, Dad.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
*ROGER*
Banned!!
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
He's been gone 11 years now, and I can honestly say that not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of him. I was very fortunate to have him for a father. I love you, Dad.
My mom has been gone for the same amount of time (eleven years.) You wrote a lovely tribute about your dad, Janice. He sounds like he was a wonderful, loving father and husband. You were indeed lucky. His influence on you shaped you into the person that you are today. He will be in your heart forever. My mom is in my heart forever.

When my mom was suffering and then dying from cancer, my dad took wonderful care of her. My dad is my best friend. We watch sports games together, we have barbeques, we go canoeing, water sporting, play poker with his and my friends, etc. I'm fortunate to have him in my life. Tomorrow, I am taking him to lunch at his favorite Chinese restaurant and I bought him some goodies. He likes weird old man hats. He's quite the snappy dresser.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Penny Lane
Forum Celebrity

My dad died in 2005. He was special because he took a great interest in our German heritage. He wrote down our family history which is precious to me. If I have any questions I just look it up! He was very thorough. He was a great reader and gained a full head of information. He never forgot a name(which I take after him) and loved talking to people. He was very interested in a persons life and opinions. He was also a good provider for our family of 7 children. He never missed a day of work. He was very steadfast and a loving grandfather.

RIP Alexander Robert Weber 1922-2005
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Family Ties Forever!

It sounds like all of you had/have great fathers.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

My Dad is very special to me. He was a great provider for his family. He was in the United States Marine Corps for 20 years and served over in Vietnam. I was only a baby when he was over there so I'm glad I don't remember it. There were times when he was gone for quite awhile. He spent a year in Okinawa while my Mom and I stayed behind but even though he was away he was still with us. About the time he retired from the Corp, he started to work at Don's Auction Barn in NC. That's when I really started to hang out with him. We would go out to the Auctions on Tuesday and Saturday nights and had a ball. I remember one night there was a dog up for auction and he bought it . Unfortunately when we got home, my Mom wasn't as thrilled as us and made us give it away. My Dad was always a strong man. He was rarely ever sick. That is until the year 2000. He's had heart problems since. My Mom died in 2002 and I seem to worry a lot about him anymore. It's scary seeing your parents get old. He's a lifelong Baltimore Orioles fan. I remember listening to the games with him on the radio back in NC. Every night during the summer, he'd go out on the porch and turn that radio on. He's also a Baltimore Ravens fan so he was happy last year when they won the SB. He was also a Baltimore Colts fan and wasn't happy when they moved. lol

Happy Fathers Day Dad. I love you. You are the best.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
Schmoopie
Forum Veteran
Jonah and Amy Forever!

My dad died in 1992 so it's been an extremely long time since I've seen him (over 20 years) but he had a hilarious sense of humor and was always making jokes or saying stuff to make us laugh. I remember on the way to his funeral my mom and my brother and I were driving in the car and I saw this house that he used to make jokes about when we'd drive to my grandmother's house. I was laughing and crying at the same time. My mom didn't get the joke but then when I told her she thought it was hilarious. This guy owned a bunch of hubcaps and had them displayed on his fence. The oldies radio station my dad listened to had this DJ who called himself "Hubcap Carter" so whenever we passed it, he would say "There's Hubcap Carter's House".

Plus, my dad was always taking my brother and I on cool vacations. We went to NYC, Maui, California, Chicago, Honolulu and Cancun just to name a few. My parents were divorced so my dad got my brother and I for a week every year (and every other weekend).
Old 06-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
catlover79
Forum Legend
God Bless Val

Heart

My dad has always worked super hard to provide for his wife and three kids - even when it was 20+ years at a factory job he hated, and then the ups and downs of getting teaching jobs and then losing them due to downsizing. When my mom decided to be a stay at home mom when we kids were little and he would be the sole breadwinner, that meant a lot of sacrifices. But the three of us didn't realize all that they had given up until we were older. Still, they have no regrets as they are still together and have done a lot to support us still in many ways. Happy Father's Day, Dad.
Attached Images

"I'm alive. I'm feeling good. I'm trying to live every moment as much as I can." - Valerie Harper, March 2013
Old 06-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Marvo301
Forum Veteran
I'm NOT a Blockhead!

Cool

First of all I'd like to thank my Dad for choosing to be my Dad. He and Mom adopted me when I was little. He worked hard to provide for his family and made us feel like we were rich. It was only when we got older that we realized we weren't and that Dad and Mom had sacraficed to provide that life for us. He has also shown me what love is by living it. He spent a number of years being my Mom's fulltime caregiver as her health deteriorated. She has since gone into extended care and he spends time with her every day. Thank-you Dad for who you are!

A life isn't worth living unless it has impact on other lives. Jackie Robinson

Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

My Dad, as a young man with my sister on his knee, and walking me down the aisle on my wedding day. The years just zoom on by. : (

Attached Images

Old 06-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
Family Ties Forever!

Quote:
My Dad, as a young man with my sister on his knee, and walking me down the aisle on my wedding day. The years just zoom on by. : (

Those are nice pictures Janice.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
Mr. Television
Forum Legend

Quote:

Those are great pictures Janice.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #12
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ROGER*
My mom has been gone for the same amount of time (eleven years.) You wrote a lovely tribute about your dad, Janice. He sounds like he was a wonderful, loving father and husband. You were indeed lucky. His influence on you shaped you into the person that you are today. He will be in your heart forever. My mom is in my heart forever.
Thanks Roger. That's very kind of you to say. I'm sorry for your mother's loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman. We never forget them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
Those are nice pictures Janice.
Thanks Jenny. I could cry if I look at them long enough.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
Lee
veteran member

Smile

My Father is the reason I am on this earth serving my lord
Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #14
janet42
Three's Company Fan!

I had a wonderful dad he was very nice to me without spoiling me. Even though I was born with disabilities, he never allowed me to feel sorry for myself. Every time I was depressed because of it, he said to me, "Janet look around there is always someone worse off than you." He always listens to me and takes me on trips. He always said that "I was his number 1". He has been gone for 4 years now and I miss him greatly.