Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Random Posts / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Celebrate Halloween with The Simpsons on FXX; Sister Network FX Brings Back Comedy for 3rd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 23, 2017)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Another Attempt at a Magnum P.I. Reboot?; New Warner Archive Releases for November
Fri-Yay: How Are This Season's Sitcoms Doing?; COZI TV's 3rd Annual Munster-thon
Freeform Announces Comedy Block for Wednesdays; The Simpsons Documentary Airs on Fox Sunday
COZI TV to Air Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke Specials; Roseanne Revival Gets Underway for ABC
Wyatt Cenac Heads to HBO Comedy Series; Nat Geo Acquires Running Wild with Bear Grylls

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October)

2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series The Good Place - The Complete First Season Green Acres - The Complete Series Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season

10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Sixth Season
10/03 - 2 Broke Girls - The Complete Series
10/03 - Rules of Engagement - Seasons 1-4 Collection
10/10 - The Brady Bunch - A Very Brady Christmas
10/10 - Everybody Hates Chris - The Complete Series
10/10 - Frasier - Christmas Episodes
10/10 - The Honeymooners - Christmas Laughter
10/10 - Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Christmas Episodes
10/17 - The Good Place - The Complete First Season
10/17 - Green Acres - The Complete Series
10/17 - Rhoda - The Final (Fifth) Season
10/24 - The Jamie Foxx Show - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Question Mattress, Pillow, Sheets, Blankets and all that Good Stuff

We just bought a new King size bed and mattress. We bought a Stearns & Foster mattress, but had to return it after two weeks because it had a lump in the middle. Lou said it was like climbing a mountain every night, lol. It was one of those foam ones. Thank God the store had a great return policy. We replaced it with another S&F, this one even more expensive than the first very expensive one; only this one has springs.

I'm happy to say that this mattress is like a dream come true. We both have very bad spines and other painful joint and other heath issues, but we feel at least 50% better when we wake up. It's the best money we've ever spent on a household item. I like a soft mattress while he likes a hard one, so we compromised and got a medium.

Last month, I bought one of those special foam pillows that comes in a box. It smelled like gasoline. It said on the box that the odor would go away within two days. I did everything they suggested. Sprayed it with Fabreeze, put in in front of a fan, put in on the balcony overnight, on a cold night. Nothing worked. I returned it. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect pillow for my bad neck. We both use three pillows (one behind my back, my head, he uses one between his knees).

New sheets, 400 count. I was surprised to hear that some people don't like a top sheet. I'd go nuts without one. New comforter with the shams and fancy pillows. It's a pain to make the bed now or to get it ready to sleep at night. I like sheets with a sheen to them, not satin, just a little shiny. Regular cotton, not flannel or anything different.

So how about you, what do you like in the way of mattresses, sheets, blankets, pillows, etc? Sleeping is such a big deal, and it has to be just right for me.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
retrofan05

I've had my mattress since 8th grade. It's soft, because I'm a soft mattress kind of person. I too have a top sheet, mainly because I fold the comforter down every night so I don't have to wash it (comforters get to lumpy after being washed). In the winter time I also use a blanked over the top sheet and sometimes an afghan, because my house doesn't have great insulation. I have soft pillows too. I try to make the bed everyday, because I just can't stand to leave the house with it not made. I have three decorative pillows that I put on top after making it.

I took this picture for a friend of my mom's. She made the cool retro macramé wall hanging back in the 70's and gave it to me.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Family Ties Forever!

That bed sounds great Janice.

I like a soft mattress. I like soft sheets, cotton, jersey, even flannel for when t's cold. I need a top [flat] sheet to sleep along with a blanket. I also like soft blankets and comforters, etc. I have a set of purple sheets (of course). I like soft pillows. I have a twin size bed and use one pillow.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
PZelda
Forum Legend
Two Valeries! <3

I could never sleep with just one pillow, Jenny. You're a LOT less particular than me... Totally not a bad thing! Means you are the easiest customer ever to please when you go to hotels, etc.

Me -- my bed has to be slightly soft (prefer firm). If I had a foam mattress - that would be up my alley! I have a foam topper for my bed and love it

I'm always on the hunt for that perfect pillow -- I sleep with 4 at this time (hey, it's down from the 6 I used to sleep with when I was in high school, LOL!). I've gotta have one pillow on each side of me... one behind my back and one to snuggle up with. THESE pillows in particular, I have yet to find a satisfactory pillow. After like 6 months they're flat as pancakes, then I toss them out to test out the next batch of pillows.

I do, however, LOVE the main pillow (for my head) that I have. It, too, was an exhausting hunt! It didn't come cheap, either. $40 foam pillow for side sleepers. I got mine probably in 2011 and it's still as awesome as the day I got it. I hope I can keep it forever. I'm a side sleeper, and this is like what I have (not sure if that's the brand, but it seems right!). The firmer my pillow, the better... I have such a hard time with soft pillows at hotels. I'd rather not fluff my pillows. This pillow is HEAVY though - far heavier, since it's all foam! But soooooooooooo worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Better-I.../dp/B000ZK4QH8

I, too, sleep with a top sheet. I used to sleep with tons of blankets... but these days, it's just my top sheet and comforter. During the winter months, I will put on either my electric blanket or electric mattress pad (I have both! lol but I don't use both at the same time... I'd have to live in Antarctica to warrant use of both at once!). I didn't use either this past winter though.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Family Ties Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZelda
I could never sleep with just one pillow, Jenny. You're a LOT less particular than me... Totally not a bad thing! Means you are the easiest customer ever to please when you go to hotels, etc. I sleep with 4 at this time (hey, it's down from the 6 I used to sleep with when I was in high school, LOL! I, too, sleep with a top sheet. I used to sleep with tons of blankets...

The only time one pillow wouldn't be enough for me is if I was somewhere and the pillow was flat. Then I would need two. I can't imagine four pillows much less six pillows, lol. I don't think that would even work on a twin size bed? lol.

I know what you mean about a ton of blankets. When I was in college in (Nacogdoches, TX) the university kept the dorm rooms freezing! It would be in the 60's which is too cold for me. I would wear sweats, two pairs of socks, then have a flat sheet, three blankets and two comforters on me. Sometimes I would still be cold.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
We just bought a new King size bed and mattress. We bought a Stearns & Foster mattress, but had to return it after two weeks because it had a lump in the middle. Lou said it was like climbing a mountain every night, lol. It was one of those foam ones. Thank God the store had a great return policy. We replaced it with another S&F, this one even more expensive than the first very expensive one; only this one has springs.

I'm happy to say that this mattress is like a dream come true. We both have very bad spines and other painful joint and other heath issues, but we feel at least 50% better when we wake up. It's the best money we've ever spent on a household item. I like a soft mattress while he likes a hard one, so we compromised and got a medium.

Last month, I bought one of those special foam pillows that comes in a box. It smelled like gasoline. It said on the box that the odor would go away within two days. I did everything they suggested. Sprayed it with Fabreeze, put in in front of a fan, put in on the balcony overnight, on a cold night. Nothing worked. I returned it. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect pillow for my bad neck. We both use three pillows (one behind my back, my head, he uses one between his knees).

New sheets, 400 count. I was surprised to hear that some people don't like a top sheet. I'd go nuts without one. New comforter with the shams and fancy pillows. It's a pain to make the bed now or to get it ready to sleep at night. I like sheets with a sheen to them, not satin, just a little shiny. Regular cotton, not flannel or anything different.

So how about you, what do you like in the way of mattresses, sheets, blankets, pillows, etc? Sleeping is such a big deal, and it has to be just right for me.

Your new bedding sounds so nice & comfortable. Bet it feels like you have a whole new bedroom. I also like a comforter or bedspread with the matching shams. I have a waterbed which I've used for years and it is so comfortable plus you can adjust the temperature of the water, cool for summer & warm for winter. The only draw back is you can't move it unless you drain all the water out and sheet sets are hard to find, so I usually buy 2 individual flat sheets & 2 pillowcases for it.

Also for that new pillow that smelled like gasoline, I would have returned it too.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
AB
Forum Celebrity
The Orville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!
The only time one pillow wouldn't be enough for me is if I was somewhere and the pillow was flat. Then I would need two. I can't imagine four pillows much less six pillows, lol. I don't think that would even work on a twin size bed? lol.

I know what you mean about a ton of blankets. When I was in college in (Nacogdoches, TX) the university kept the dorm rooms freezing! It would be in the 60's which is too cold for me. I would wear sweats, two pairs of socks, then have a flat sheet, three blankets and two comforters on me. Sometimes I would still be cold.

I have a cousin who is cool natured like you. She has several little ceramic heaters she keeps in different rooms of her house. You could have used something like that in your dorm room.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
Janice
Administrator
Forum Celebrity
My Sweet Lily

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB
Your new bedding sounds so nice & comfortable. Bet it feels like you have a whole new bedroom. I also like a comforter or bedspread with the matching shams. I have a waterbed which I've used for years and it is so comfortable plus you can adjust the temperature of the water, cool for summer & warm for winter. The only draw back is you can't move it unless you drain all the water out and sheet sets are hard to find, so I usually buy 2 individual flat sheets & 2 pillowcases for it.

Also for that new pillow that smelled like gasoline, I would have returned it too.
I had a waterbed years ago. I loved it. I remember it sprung a couple of leaks, and the heater stopped working, and it got cold. Still, I loved it. The sheets were easy to find because this was in the 80s when waterbeds were all the rage.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Family Ties Forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB
I have a waterbed which I've used for years. The only draw back is you can't move it unless you drain all the water out.

My mother had a waterbed in the 90's. I remember she liked it, but had the same problem. The waterbed couldn't be moved unless you drained it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I had a waterbed years ago. I loved it. I remember it sprung a couple of leaks, and the heater stopped working, and it got cold. Still, I loved it. The sheets were easy to find because this was in the 80s when waterbeds were all the rage.

It sounds like you had a nice waterbed.

I think I would be afraid to have a waterbed because it might spring a leak.

There was a season 5 episode of Growing Pains where the family (The Seavers) had to sleep in the apartment over the garage overnight because of termites. Anyway, the family tried to all sleep in [the oldest son] Mike's waterbed. The waterbed sprang a leak. Mike tried to stop the leak by drinking the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB
I have a cousin who is cool natured like you. She has several little ceramic heaters she keeps in different rooms of her house. You could have used something like that in your dorm room.

We weren't allowed to have any kind of heaters, including space heaters.

Last edited by Family Ties Forever! : 05-29-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
PZelda
Forum Legend
Two Valeries! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Ties Forever!

Oops, I forgot to mention the fact that this is on a queen-size bed. So, that does make a difference! Three is the absolute minimum I could have on my bed.

My room is overinsulated, if that's possible... Altho it may have something to do with my room being right next to the furnace. So I'll feel the heat or AC first, lol. I close the vent in my room in the winter because even if I have it open a tiny bit, it's gonna get hot fast and that would suck! But I keep my vent wide open in the summer... The more AC I get, the better. Gotta have my room good and cold... it's the only way I can sleep. I got cold easily as a kid... Not so much now. Heh.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 AM   #11
LaBestia
Chris Harrison Rules

I got my mattress when I was ten and it's very comfortable and my bed faces the door and near my bed is my bookcase and the bedding that's on my bed is leopard print bedding and I hope to get leopard print toss pillows for my bed soon. As for pillows I always have to sleep with two pillows because my stuffed animals take up the other pillow and I sleep next to them but when I need to get more comfortable I sometimes use one of my stuffed animals for a pillow too. I also have a leopard print blanket too that I use on cold nights. But the only time my room gets cold is during the winter nights and that's when I use blankets the most
Bestie
Good Morning Chris Harrison "What Final Answers Do You Have For Your #1 Fan This Wonderful Morning?"
Old 08-30-2017, 06:06 AM   #12
MikaelaArsenault
Ciao, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBestia
I got my mattress when I was ten and it's very comfortable and my bed faces the door and near my bed is my bookcase and the bedding that's on my bed is leopard print bedding and I hope to get leopard print toss pillows for my bed soon. As for pillows I always have to sleep with two pillows because my stuffed animals take up the other pillow and I sleep next to them but when I need to get more comfortable I sometimes use one of my stuffed animals for a pillow too. I also have a leopard print blanket too that I use on cold nights. But the only time my room gets cold is during the winter nights and that's when I use blankets the most
Bestie

I love my stuffed animals also.

And Harry Anderson too.

https://ilovewhoseline.imgur.com/all/

http://whoselinefan.imgur.com/all/

Antenna TV, MeTV, Decades, Laff, and Cozi TV, please add Dave's World and The John Larroquette Show to your lineups. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #13
MrCleveland
Forum Veteran
Drew Carey from Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaelaArsenault
I love my stuffed animals also.

I have a guilty pleasure with having a stuffed toy...I get the cartoon types.

I even have a Jose Carioca beanie from The Three Caballeros...my favorite Disney film as well....
Attached Images

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)