Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / News Blog / Buy TV Shows on DVD

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Brady Bunch (Sitcoms Online) / The Brady Bunch links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Brady Bunch Photo Gallery

The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD

Buy The Brady Bunch - The Complete Series (Seasons 1-5; Shag Carpet Cover;
Bonus Disc with A Very Brady Christmas, The Brady 500 and The Brady Kids cartoon episodes) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > The Brady Bunch
User Name
Password

Headlines / New on DVD/Blu-ray
SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines:

FX Fall 2014: Mike & Molly Reruns Premiere; Jerry Seinfeld's Single Shots on Crackle
Summer 2014 Week 9 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Community Season 6 Plans; The Equalizer Complete Series on DVD
Blossom, Big Bang Theory Star Hosting Candid Camera; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 28, 2014)
Here's Lucy Heading to Cozi TV; The CW Drops Comedies Seed, Backpackers
TVGN Adds Love Boat, Wings, Family Ties, and More; Hallmark's Lisa Whelchel/Kim Fields Movie Scores
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: FX, Includes 12-Day Simpsons Marathon on FXX; TCM Remembers James Garner
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: Fox, The CW; Remembering TV Legend James Garner
Summer 2014 Week 8 Sitcom Ratings
SitcomsOnline Digest: Enlisted to Return as Online Series?; Batman and Wonder Years DVD Updates
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: CBS; Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows (Week of July 21, 2014)
TV Land's Candid Camera Premieres Aug. 11; NBC Gives Debra Messing Series a Preview Airing
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: ABC, Includes Fall 2014 Premiere Dates; Hot in Cleveland Animated Episode to Air July 30 on TV Land
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC Networks; More Info on Apt. 23 on Logo, With 8 Unaired Episodes
TCA Summer 2014 Press Tour: NBC; Entourage Coming to VH1 Classic

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July)

07/01 - American Dad! - Volume 9
07/08 - The Soul Man - The Complete First Season
07/15 - Diff'rent Strokes - Season 1 (Mill Creek) / Season 2 / Seasons 1 and 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Welcome to the Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, search, view attachments, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
jehobden

Default Mike Brady in New Publisher's Clearing House Ad

This week I saw a new Publisher's Clearing House ad with the Prize Patrol appearing to give Mike Brady a large check for winning its sweepstakes. There are also PCH commercials using characters from Diff'rent Strokes and Gilligan's Island, but I have yet to see these. Here is a link about the commercials:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/bu...rady.html?_r=0

I would love to know which TBB episode was used in the clips of Mike Brady. He's opening his front door then hollering for Carol at the end.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
SKay
Forum Regular

I saw the commercial yesterday and the Gilligan's Island one today. Did you notice in the Brady Bunch one that the names of the real winners were Carol and Greg?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Retro4Life
Accept No Substitutes

I saw the Gilligan's Island one. I really was turned off by it. I don't like using a dead actors' image for profit, particularly when it's without their OK (and yes, I understand that the show and it's images are the property of a company, not the actors, but that doesn't make any less tasteless to me)>.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
GrtGzu
Frequent Poster

B]Ya, what u said! I saw the one with Mike and Carol and got that same creepy feeling like when they made the smoking commercial with Yule Brynner after he died.....The first thing I thought with the PCH commercial was "Gee, the guy's dead, how could you do something like that"? It just creeped me all the way out - had to change the channel....[/[/b]
Old 05-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
SKay
Forum Regular

The commercials didn't bother me any more than watching the Brady Bunch since the clips were from that show.

jehobden--My son said that the clips are from the episode about Marcia getting braces when everyone gets dates for her.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
McGillicuddy

For a long time, Robert Reed's estate forbidded the use of Robert Reed's image, even on Brady Bunch products. Something must have changed.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
biffbronson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro4Life
I saw the Gilligan's Island one. I really was turned off by it. I don't like using a dead actors' image for profit, particularly when it's without their OK (and yes, I understand that the show and it's images are the property of a company, not the actors, but that doesn't make any less tasteless to me)>.

I thought it was kind of distasteful when MeTV had a current promo of Ed Asner saying "Not now, Ted" to Ted Knight's character, as Knight is deceased. Also they did something similar with Carl Reiner yelling at Mel Cooley -- the character of deceased Richard Deacon -- that was probably worse. This type of stuff does pop up from time to time.

"For you are beautiful ~ And I have loved you dearly ~ More dearly than the spoken word can tell..."
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Hughsgirl
Forum Regular

I think they are using taking clips of the dead actors because the actors from today wants nothing to do with their corny ads.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
PCH
First Time Poster

Default PCH Brady Bunch/Gilligan's Island/Diff'rent Strokes

Just wanted to let everyone know out there in TV Land, that not only did the show/studio have to give permission (and receive payment) to use these clips, each actor (living or deceased) had to give authorization (and also be paid). In the case of deceased actors, their estates received the payment (and I can tell you that they were happy to get the $$). These spots when through exhaustive research, and the issue of using someone who has passed away never once came up. Most people just simply appreciated the humor and bit of nostalgia the ads brought forth. As one user in this forum put it -- no different than seeing them on TV in one of the episodes.